Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > The Cold Side of Heart

Fanning the Flames

by NuuoaEclaire 8 reviews

Archie and Atlanta are alone in the brownstone... ohh! Only romantic things can come out of this, right? After learning about Atlanta's relation with Winter, Archie decides to make her some hot cho...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-11-12 - Updated: 2006-11-13 - 2592 words

2Ambiance
Authors Note: So I know I should update 'Awake in a Dream' but I'm completely stuck at a hard part to write, I'm trying to get in the emotion and don't want to write something that ties into the sequel. Anyway, on with the note. This chapter is dedicated to the talent author Winter-Rae. She is awesome! And of course her name ties into this chapter unintentionally. On with the read, it'll contain so important and confusing elements. -Nuuoa Eclaire.

Disclaimer: See previous chapter.

Pairings: A lot more will be added later on... but it's not what you think. Jay/Theresa and Archie/Atlanta.

Warnings: A stupid Hera, whom I detest and a large explosion because of inattention to reading labels, plus a seemingly one-sided love... but as you will soon find out nothing is as it seems.

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·
The Cold Side of Heart

Chapter 3: Fanning the Flames
(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·

The world became nothing around her as Theresa felt the soft buzz of magic pulse through her veins; it flooded to her head as she bit her lip. It hurt, a lot... but she wouldn't admit it to Persephone. The willowy goddess sat on the delicately rich fabric rug and smiled at her student sadly. Hades wife pulled back her light platinum locks and traced the floor with a long graceful finger, the words; "Aellaqui Stuna Leima" remained unseen on the floor.

"Persephone?" Theresa scrunched up her face and peeked her large green eyes open at her mentor, "Is something the matter?" Theresa let the magic slip from her fingers and felt the sweat fall down her face, quickly removing it with the back of her smooth hand.
"No. No dear..." she stately absently, her voice caressing the air. Theresa shrugged and let a small smile grace her rosy lips.
"Did I do well?"

Persephone frowned slightly and Theresa feared that the goddess may become slightly irritated... not something you would want to happen. In the immortal words of Odie, "Head for the hills!"
"Yes... almost too well." She let her azure blue eyes pierce her in a gaze.
"Now I'd like you to move that pot." She motioned over to the cooper vase and sweet yellow flowers. Though slightly confused at the earlier comment Theresa did as she was told, lifting the flowerpot over to their resting spot in the solarium.
"Aellaqui Stuna Leima." She breathed, causing a large crash to sound behind her.

Hera stood, the smell of ambrosia flowed around her, and she was trembling her icy eyes raging in hate.
"Hera, I know it looks bad but-" Persephone was cut off.
"I knew I recognized you from somewhere! I protested, because I believed that you couldn't change! You haven't! Your words prove it! The power will consume you, just like... Thisbe!" she cried in vehement, her finger pointed straight at Theresa.

Theresa's state of shock quickly vanished and was replaced by hurt and torment.
"Thisbe? Who's... Hera what are you talking about?" she tried to rise but Persephone stopped her and stood with the grace of a swan to her feet.
"Go. I must speak with Hera." Her voice was firm and cold as she glared with Hera. Theresa glanced between the two and felt her heart rise and fall with the pounding in her chest.
"W-"
"Go!" she reeled on her and Theresa left the room with despair and the sting of the queen of the god's harsh words...

"Hera that was uncalled for." Persephone tried not to let the hatred consume her... Hera's actions were completely wrong.
"You knew. And you didn't say anything... you know what those words mean? She is-"
"I know." She cried with light clear tears at the side, "But Theresa and Jay are going to see the stars tonight... does that sound evil to you?"
"Jay! Oh, that witch! She won't get him... I will protect him if it's the last thing I do!" She vowed and snapped.

The air suddenly drastically changed as Persephone became gray and like a storm rose into the air and leaned over the stonehearted woman in front of her.
"So you protect Jay and kill Jyros because you fear the power will surpass your own! You were the one who brought the time of despair!!" Fire burned in her eyes as Hera backed up and gave her a death glare.
"You are out of place! I know she is like a daughter to you... but you can't deny what she is." She smirked in superiority, "And that her powers will take over her." And with that she stormed out of the room and slammed the heavy golden doors.

Persephone let herself fall to the ground and sobbed quietly, head in hands. History had a habit of repeating itself... and she prayed to Zeus that it wouldn't happen this time.

And as Theresa raced down the hallway all she wanted to do was run. The goddess seemed to be taking on her true form. But what did it mean? And who was Thisbe? Tears stuck to her cheeks, flushed from an unknown force. Everything was supposed to be right... why was it so wrong? But the thing that troubled her the most was that somewhere in the back of her mind... Theresa remembered that name. Thisbe.

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·

"Atlanta!" Archie cried out, panicked he ran with warrior speed around the house. It was 8:30... were was she? They had both agreed to go boarding at this time... where could she be?
"Come on Atlanta!" he huffed down the stairs, metal brace pounding on the floor. Finally he heard a small sigh escape from the living room, a shape was barely visible under wooly blankets. Her bright fire hair gave her away.

"Why were you hiding from me?" Archie tried to act mad... but it was hard when he felt somewhat hurt and when she looked so darn adorable. And the thing that made her even more irresistible was her innocence. She didn't know her beauty and she didn't use it to tantalize or provoke... strange how it had the exact opposite effect for not even trying.
"I hate the summer." She snuggled closer into the white wool, "I want it to end."
"Atlanta are you crazy!" Archie replied shocked, "You hate summer? Since when did that happen? And you'll die of heatstroke in that thing." He pointed to the blanket.

It was then that Atlanta did something totally out of character, she actually didn't argue. Now you can imagine Archie's total and utter shock at this, after all this was Atlanta. Best friend, national arguing champion (They had, had a competition), spunky, temperamental, sporty and wonderful. This was beyond something he could've predicted as she turned sad sparkly hazel eyes to him.
"My mom and I used to go hunting all the time in the winter. And after we'd go home and sip on some hot chocolate and laugh... it was her birthday today... I almost forgot."

At her whispered words Archie sprang into action and plopped next to her on the couch.
"Atlanta... I'm sorry I didn't know." He began with dark steel eyes cast in concern. As she raised herself off the cozy brown couch, Archie followed her to the wide gapping window.
"Sometimes," she stared at the bright summer moon, twilight mingled with the ink and silver, it cast shadows down at her and touched up her beautiful face with glow.
"I like to think she's up there watching me. Even though I know better then that." She let the light that had captivated her eyes disappear.

"But she's down somewhere in Hades or in Elysian Fields." Archie stated dryly, Atlanta punched him in the arm.
"It's amazing how you have this 'gift' of making people feel better." She snapped sarcastically reeling in the opposite direction.

"Wait!" Archie grabbed her wrist as she turned away from the warrior. Atlanta raised a dark eyebrow at this as Archie quickly released it like poison and stuttered.
"I'll make you hot chocolate. It'll be just like winter... and we can laugh and have a great time."

Atlanta was caught off guard for a minute, fresh eyes widening in shock. Her laughter spouted out like a bottle cap off campagne.
"Hahahahahaha!" tears clung to her eyes in hilarity.
"Good one Arch," She wiped her eyes, "I needed that."
"It wasn't a joke." He grumbled like a disappointed puppy.
"You know the joke isn't as funny a second time around."
"It's not a joke.' She stepped away from him as some of the embers of his love consumed his eyes, like fire burning through a mist.

"I appreciate your concern Arch," she snapped, "But I can take care of myself."
"No really," he reached out for her, "I want to do this for you." She turned her face away from his for a moment before trying not to laugh.
"No offense, but I don't know if the kitchen would survive." She giggled at the strange shape his expression took.
"Come on Atlanta," he begged jokingly, "Please." She laughed at him and ruffled his purple hair as he led her to the kitchen.

"Are you sure that dorks aren't banned from cooking? Do you need help?" she inquired as they entered the brightly lit kitchen.
"Come on Atlanta. I know I can't cook, but I won't make the place explode. Let me do it."
"Ok, ok." Atlanta held up her hands in mock defense, "I'll let you try to make hot chocolate. I'll be right back. Please don't kill yourself... I think I'm going to clean up that mirror Theresa and Neil broke this morning... And Archie," she pooped her head back in for a quick second.
"What?" he sighed, he was waiting for another snide remark.
"Thanks." Her genuine smile made his knees buckle as she left in a spurt of speed. Her words still lingered thickly in the air; her cinnamon scent still clung to his nostrils.

Archie proceeded to walk in a love struck daze through the kitchen, looking through the large white fridge. 'Thanks.' He smiled in a dumb fashion as he recalled her sweet and sincere face. 'Ok I need coco and milk... Now where do we keep the coco again?" he scratched his head in perplexion as he proceeded to open every one of the white cupboard doors.
"There!" he cried in victory as he pulled out the powered chocolate, "I found it! Now for the milk." The emotion of triumph quickly vanished... the fridge had been recently stripped bare by Herry... one container remained.

"Why?" he cried in despair, he couldn't let Atlanta down... she trusted him. That 'thank you' was the most intoxicating poison.
"What can I use instead of milk?" he juggled the possibilities as he reached for the container in the fridge. It looked like milk, maybe a bit more oil like and yellowy... but surely it would pass? He put it next to the coco on the counter top and picked a cup that was Atlanta's favorite color, green. He failed to notice it was plastic.

After a quick mixing job and much spilling Archie put on the frilly pink apron from the closet. 'It's for Atlanta.' He grimaced to himself.
"Now for the microwave." And as you could've guessed, the large microwave and later the oven, didn't work.
"I swear that Neil stole everybody's luck."

Sulking into the sandy wood chair, Archie twirled the liquid in the green cup around until it looked like caramel. 'Looks like I let Atlanta down.' His thoughts churned as he stared out to the backyard porch. What he saw there turned the frown upside down. And if the light bulb that he had imagined had been there... it wouldn't have been very bright, as the idea was incredibly stupid. He was going to barbecue hot chocolate in a plastic cup, using a milk substitute... Archie should never cook. And all this in his pink feminine apron.

So there Archie was, roasting hot chocolate over the state of the art metal barbecue... and we can all guess what happens next. Boom.

It was a nuclear explosion. Like a firework had been lit, the cup exploded in the heat of the flames. Ember and ash mixed and mingled through the now thick air as Archie chocked.
"Archie what have you done!" He was in deep doodoo.

"Atlanta I can explain," he squeak sheepishly at the shorter girl who was glaring up at him... unfortunately he took this time to notice how the dancing devils touched up her hair and made her eyes seem like his world. Not that they weren't before.
"What on earth did you do?" she cried out in exasperation.
"Umm, improvised?" And as he explained the rest of it in embarrassment she ran back inside and fetched the liquid he had 'used'.

"This explain something?" she huffed, reading the label, "Experiment, Herry do not eat or drink. Mixture of milk, sugar and... GASOLINE! Love Odie." She flung the empty milk carton at the fumbling male.
"Oops?"
"Yeah, big oops."
"I just wanted to do this for you." She sighed and ruffled his purple hair, "I know... now lets go and make some real hot chocolate."
"But the microwave doesn't work." He stated bluntly as a look of superiority took over her features.
"Did you plug it in?" His nonverbal reply answered all.

And after as the pair sat down with their steamy cup Atlanta noticed the still burning coals of the barbecue.
"Better put that out." She scrunched up her face, wrinkling her nose cutely in the process.
"No! It'll be like your- out bonfire." He smiled with a dab of rosy cheeks, as she put down her finished cup on the ground and sat down on the bench with him.

"You're a dork," she bopped his slightly crooked nose and laughed openly before wrapping the blanket she brought out around them both.
"But one of the best friends I could've ever asked for."
Atlanta sighed and rested her head against his strong chest, hearing the soft beating of his heart and allowing it to be her lullaby. And as the last of the mini bonfire's flames flickered out and coughed up black smoke into the darkness of the starry warm night, Archie smiled contently and felt the subtle embrace of the sand man beckoning him to slumber. He glanced once more at the young woman beside him and let the bittersweet candy soak in his mouth.
"My best friend." He kissed the top of her head and savored the feeling of her soft red hair on his lips, had been matching the now dead blaze of the real fire's glow.

Finally the hero dozed off, filling the quietness with a light snore. The flames that his cooking caused were gone, but the flames in his heart, the flames of love, crackled and threatened to burst as sleep claimed him. Atlanta had been laughing, teasing, hugging and fanning the flames of his unrequited love. And if seen it would have rivaled the biggest bonfire in winter.

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·

Authors Note: So I loved the ending, not going to tell you how Atlanta feels, you'll have to figure it out on your own. And what was with Hera? Who is/was Thisbe? Who is Jyros? What does this have to do with Theresa? Next chapter will be put up as soon as possible. The sooner you press that pretty blue button, the sooner you get your chapter, "Jay Gazing"... that should be interesting. -Nuuoa Eclaire
Sign up to rate and review this story