Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Harry Comes Of Age

by Emilie_D 1 review

Party!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-18 - Updated: 2006-11-18 - 3472 words - Complete

1Ambiance
By noon on Thursday, Michael and Zelda were nervously awaiting their magical guests. "I wonder if this party's a good idea," mused Michael.

"What could possibly go wrong?" Zelda retorted stoutly, with a sidelong glance at him.

Molly arrived first, with her husband and her redheaded twin sons. The young men carried an assortment of parcels, which they tossed into the air and began Levitating in large circles, like a mad Ferris Wheel of presents.

"Stop it at once," Molly shouted furiously. She turned and smiled pleasantly. "Zelda, Michael, these lunatics are my sons, Fred and George."

"Hi guys," said Zelda. "Lovely to meet you. Your mother and Professor McGonagall said we didn't have to do a thing for this party, so Michael and I'll rest on our laurels and watch you do all the work." She turned to Mr. Weasley. "Arthur, it's great to see you again. This is my friend, Michael Fletcher."

"It's good to meet you, Michael," Arthur said enthusiastically. He gestured downward to the robes he was wearing. "I wondered if I should dress as a Muggle, but Molly assured me it wasn't necessary."

"Wear whatever you want to here," Michael replied genially. "We're completely casual here in our Muggle kingdom." He turned and winked cheerfully at Molly.

"What can we do to help, Molly?" asked Zelda.

"Not a thing," replied the jaded mother. "The boys assure me that they have everything under control. Charlie, Bill and Fleur will be along shortly, and I trust Fleur to make any final adjustments. Why don't we go inside and let the boys get to work?"

Arthur offered his arm to Zelda and walked beside her, looking eagerly around him. "Molly said this isn't your actual home, you're simply staying here for a short time."

"That's right. It's far easier to have magical guests come and go out here, where there's no one to see." Zelda opened the door and blocked Rowena from rushing Arthur and Molly. "Please excuse my dog, she gets excited when guests arrive," she muttered, grasping the dog's collar firmly.

"Don't worry," Arthur Weasley replied abstractedly, gazing around the kitchen in wonder. "What does that thing do?" he asked, pointing to the coffee maker.

Zelda and Molly chuckled as their eyes met. "Will you do the honors?" asked Zelda, her eyes twinkling.

Molly proceeded to make coffee the Muggle way, while Arthur watched proudly.

"Remarkable! Most impressive, Molly," he proclaimed. "It seems quite simple to use, once you understand the point of it."

"Zelda, I wonder if you mind showing Arthur the Muggle Studies course outline you developed. Not that the Ministry will care for his opinion, but he'd love to see it," said Molly.

Zelda opened the black computer case and took out her laptop. "This is a computer, Arthur," she said with a smile.

Arthur was ecstatic, barely noticing when he was handed a cup of Muggle brewed coffee. Between Zelda's ideas for teaching students about the Muggle world, and grasping how much could be accomplished with computers, he forgot that they were there to attend a party. When it was almost two o'clock and guests began to arrive, he and Zelda were both startled.

"Arthur! Stop distracting Zelda. She should come out and meet everyone," Molly shouted through the open door.

Zelda smiled ruefully at the delighted wizard. "Any time I can explain aspects of our silly world, I'll be happy to do it. Or if I can't, I'll find some other resource for you."

They headed outside, and Zelda stopped, eyes wide in surprise. The clearing around the cabin was elaborately decorated, and there were more people present than Zelda had seen in weeks. "You people really know how to throw a party," she murmured.

Molly observed her friend's stunned hesitation, so she took Zelda's hand and led her briskly forward. "Zelda, this is my oldest, Bill, and his fiancée, Fleur Delacour."

A tall, red-haired young man with a mangled face smiled warmly and held out his hand to her. "Good to meet you, Zelda. Ron talks about you endlessly. I hope sometime you'll teach me about the inner workings of a shotgun, so I can keep up with my baby brother."

Clasping his hand warmly, Zelda rolled her eyes and laughed. "Magic's not enough for you Weasleys, is it? We'll have your mother teach you how to use a handgun first."

Bill turned to Molly. "Mum! You?" Her deep blush told him it was true, and he chuckled. "That's fantastic. I'd say the twins should treat you with a bit more respect, from now on."

Zelda had turned to shake hands with a gloriously beautiful young blonde woman. She had been aware of Fleur watching tensely during her introduction to Bill, but as their eyes met, the young woman relaxed and smiled warmly.

"Eet ees good to meet you," she said in a sexy, throaty voice. She studied Zelda shrewdly and continued quietly, "I 'ave spoken with 'Arry, and 'e told me that you 'ave a special relation with Professor Severus Snape. I theenk you are a lucky woman."

Zelda blushed slightly, but replied, "Finally an intelligent woman, who recognizes quality when she sees it. You're pretty lucky to be marrying Bill Weasley, I'd say. When's the wedding taking place?"

Fleur beamed at her. "Eet will be next week, at my 'ome in France. We would be delighted eef you would like to attend."

Zelda knew the Weasley family had not easily accepted Fleur, and was touched by the spontaneous invitation. The idea of attending a wizard wedding was very exciting, but she didn't dare to leave. "Thank you so much. I'm honored," she said warmly. "I don't know how much you're aware of my position here, but I'm obliged to stay here for the near future."

"You know that Professor McGonagall 'as applied the Fidelius Charm to all of us, so that we are unable to speak of anything about you and thees place," said Fleur reassuringly.

Zelda covered her face briefly with her hands. "Poor Severus. He has no idea how many people know about our... situation, and it'll make him horribly worried, even if they can't speak of it. I have to be here if he needs me until this is over." She smiled faintly at the younger woman. "Thank you for not acting shocked or horrified by my relationship with him. It gets tiring."

Two pairs of blue eyes appraised each other respectfully once more; then Fleur took her to meet Charlie Weasley. No sooner had they shaken hands, though, than Minerva McGonagall arrived with Hagrid. Suddenly the clearing seemed much smaller.

Zelda excused herself and went to the new arrivals. She nodded happily at Minerva, but went straight to Hagrid, who looked nervous and rather shy.

"Welcome to America, Hagrid," she said brightly, holding out her hands to him. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Thanks, Zelda," he replied. "I wouldn't miss young Harry's birthday fer the world."

Michael walked up to them with Rowena on her leash. He thrust the leash into Zelda's hand and held his own up to the half-giant. "Hagrid, it's great to see you again. And thanks for helping to save my life when I collapsed at Hogwarts."

"Yer welcome," said Hagrid, blushing. "And thanks to the both of you for saving Harry." He was tongue tied for a moment, then said, "That's a good lookin' dog there. Whose is she?" He knelt down and greeted Rowena, who responded by plunging her nose into his huge hand as though she'd found dog heaven.

Michael smirked in briefly in Zelda's direction. "She's Zelda's dog, thanks to Severus."

Hagrid looked between the two Muggles, his black eyes twinkling. "How's that then?" he asked.

"Severus found her when he was out walking, she'd been hit by a car. Instead of dispatching her, he decided to bring her back. He and Michael healed her, and now she's mine. Her name's Rowena," Zelda explained.

"Ah... I'm glad ter hear it," said Hagrid thoughtfully. "He's had a rough time, but it speaks well for him that with all he's goin' through, he rescued that dog."

Zelda beamed at him. "You don't seem surprised that he did it," she said curiously. "Why's that?"

"Well, when he was young, a second year, he was walkin' in the Forbidden Forest. There's always been a few like him, yeh know, the Forest calls to 'em. And he had his... problems up at the school." Hagrid broke off for a moment, then continued, "He found a young Augurey. Irish Phoenix, some call it. It had a broken wing, and woulda died without help. He came and told me, brought me to the bird and helped me heal it. Knew he'd be punished for breakin' the rules, but cared more about that big ugly bird."

His story made Zelda want to cry, but she sternly applied her Occlumency training and became calm.

Michael, wanting to give her a moment, said, "She's not magical, but what do you think of Rowena? Does she seem okay?"

Hagrid studied the dog with professional interest. He held his hand out for the leash. Rowena immediately took her position on his left side and sat. "She's a smart one," he said. "Where was she hurt?"

"Her back right leg was shattered from the hip down," replied Michael. "Severus healed the bones and I gave her fluids. I think she was lying out there injured for quite a while."

Hagrid picked up a stick and threw it, watching as the dog ran and brought it back. "It's healed well," he said. "Yeh can hardly tell she was hurt, watchin' her move."

"Rowena!" called Zelda, and the dog ran and sat before her. "What a good girl you are, Sweetie," she murmured, kissing the dog's head and hugging her. She looked up at Hagrid, "She's the best present I've ever gotten. I love this dog."

"She knows most everyone here now, take off the leash," suggested Michael.

When Zelda unhooked it, Rowena leaped away, running across the clearing and then prancing back again, dropping a stick in front of Hagrid. He chuckled and threw the stick for her.

"Yeh got a fine dog, Zelda," he said kindly.

Rowena swerved and began barking, bringing everyone's attention to the new arrivals. Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Ron had Apparated close by, with two teenagers that Zelda had never seen, and the party was about to begin.

"Happy birthday, Harry!" roared Hagrid, catching the boy in a crushing bear hug.

"Thanks, Hagrid," gasped Harry. Once he was able to stand, he turned to Zelda and gave her a wordless hug.

"Happy birthday, kid," she said, kissing his cheek. "Did you bring that Thunderbolt broomstick?" she asked teasingly.

He laughed. "It's a /Firebolt/, and we brought everything here first and Apparated from the cabin. We thought it'd look more dramatic."

He hugged Michael too, bringing a smile to the man's face, but there was no more time for conversation, as Weasleys quickly surrounded them.

It warmed Zelda's heart to see Harry surrounded by well-wishers. She wanted to know that someone loved that boy.

Hermione touched her arm and said, "Come and meet our friends, Zelda."

Zelda beamed at Ron, before turning to the new arrivals. There was a dreamy looking girl with long, blonde-ish hair and very pale skin, and a round-faced boy who stared doubtfully at her as if worried about adjusting to this strange new world.

"Hello, I'm Zelda Larsson," she said matter-of-factly, holding her hand out first to the girl. She was fascinated by the girl's necklace, which seemed to be made of corks.

"I'm Luna Lovegood... and Ronald said you're a Muggle. I've never met one before, socially, you know," Luna mused, almost to herself. "How odd that you're having Harry's party here."

Zelda's eyes began to dance; this odd, dreamy girl might prove to be very amusing. She turned to the young man and offered her hand. "And you are...?"

"N-Neville Longbottom," he gasped. "It's... it's nice to meet you," he managed, looking frightened as they shook hands.

"This is my friend, Michael," Zelda said firmly. "He's another Muggle, so you've racked up two in one day, Luna. Would you like our autographs?"

Michael, Hermione and Ron had watched this odd exchange with varied amounts of shock and glee. Before anyone could say another word, Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared, flashing his handsome smile toward the small group.

Michael offered his hand and a friendly greeting to the Auror, who murmured something quietly, then went up to Zelda and said, "Give us a kiss, luv." Before she could do more than snort, he bent and kissed her cheek.

"Save the charm for someone who's impressed by it, Shacklebolt," she snapped, flushing slightly.

Kingsley and Michael both laughed, while the teens watched the antics of these odd adults in fascination. Gradually, the entire group merged, and Zelda asked innocently, "Harry, what does the birthday boy want to do first?"

His green eyes lit up with pure joy, and he looked around at the group. "Who's up for a game of Quidditch?"

All the Weasleys cheered, and the glade echoed with voices shouting, "Accio broom!"

Bill zoomed by overhead and shouted, "Kingsley, you in?"

"I'm too old, boy!" he retorted halfheartedly.

"It's Harry's birthday," the twins shouted in unison as they flew wildly overhead. "Ginny's playing, so we need another to even the sides. She'll be even against an old dodderer like you," one of them challenged nastily.

Kingsley smiled wickedly, waved his wand and a broomstick appeared in his waiting hand. Instantly he was speeding through the air on the tail of the mouthy twin.

Zelda smiled at those who were left on the ground. They watched Rowena trotting back and forth barking at the Quidditch players overhead, who were laughing and screaming as they sped by.

"Molly, is there anything else we should do?" she asked. "I guess they'll play for a while."

"Not a thing. The food will be ready when they're finished playing. Let's relax," said Molly.

"I'm going to show Luna and Neville around the place," announced Hermione. "Zelda, will you come along?"

I'd like that," Zelda said, her eyes sparkling. "Michael, why don't you tell Arthur and Hagrid everything they ever wanted to know about Muggles?"

"Marvelous!" said Arthur, smiling delightedly at his wife.

Hagrid smiled bemusedly at them. "I know almost nothin' about Muggles, Zelda."

She smiled wryly at the half-giant. "Once the Quidditch players are out of the line of fire, you and Arthur could learn the Muggle science of firearms," she offered. "Fleur too. I think you'd all like that better than electronic games."

Zelda and Rowena trailed along a step behind Neville and Luna as Hermione led them on their tour. The first stop was the cabin, of course, so they could see the Muggle television and video games.

Neville was very interested in the electronic toys; he'd never imagined such a strange thing, but Luna frowned slightly, shaking her head irritably as she walked around.

"What is it, Luna?" asked Zelda.

"This isn't really a Muggle dwelling," the girl said. "I can feel the magic in it."

Zelda smiled, "It's really a tiny place, but we have visitors regularly, so it's actually enlarged." She studied the girl. "Do you have unusual abilities, or can your friends feel the presence of magic too? And have you always sensed it?"

Luna nodded. "Always. I don't know how many others can feel it." Her large eyes softened. "It's such a beautiful feeling."

The others joined them. "You should have Harry and Ron teach you, if there's time, Neville. I'm not really into that electronic game stuff like they are," Hermione said.

"Okay," Neville said agreeably.

He seemed more relaxed, but Zelda noticed that he avoided making eye contact with her. When they decided to go out for a walk, he stayed close to Hermione, allowing Luna to walk with Zelda and the dog. As Quidditch players roared overhead, they headed toward the woods, into narrow, shady trails.

As the walked, Luna chatted animatedly to Zelda. She described her father's paper, /The Quibbler/, and then told her at length about the Sorting Hat's decision to place her in Ravenclaw. "I couldn't imagine where it would put me," she said brightly. "I told it so, when I put it on, and d'you know, it laughed? Then it put me in Ravenclaw."

"Were you glad?" asked Zelda, releasing the dog to run free among the trees.

"Well, I was, because I didn't think I'd be a better fit in any of the other Houses, but I wonder now, if that's true. I don't really have any friends in my own House," she said dispassionately.

"I reckon I got lucky then, even if I'm kind of a loss as a Gryffindor," said Neville thoughtfully. "I do have friends in my House."

Zelda was frowning. "What kind of thing is this Sorting Hat? I think boarding school could be a rough experience, since you can almost never get away from your problems. Are students often cruel to each other?"

"Well, yes," Hermione said reluctantly. "It happens more than most adults realize."

"I wonder if Dumbledore ever read /Lord of the Flies/," she murmured. "I guess even Hogwarts can't be as perfect as it looks."

"Have you been to Hogwarts?" Luna asked brightly. "I didn't think Muggles are allowed."

Zelda chuckled. This disconcerting girl just said whatever she thought, with no filter between her brain and mouth. "Luna, as you get older, you'll realize that the rules about what's 'allowed' are often changeable."

"Really..." Luna murmured, drifting back into her own thoughts. "Hermione, we should probably go back now."

"All right," said Hermione. "Neville? Zelda?"

But Neville had gotten an idea.

"Z-Zelda," Neville said timidly. "Are there magical plants and trees here?"

"I have no idea," she replied, startled at the idea. "Neville, just a matter of weeks ago, I had no idea magic's real. I'm learning new things constantly, but no one's ever mentioned magical plants. How would you tell? What do they do? Oh wait, you mean like the Whomping Willow? "

As Neville began describing magical plants and herbs, they wandered farther into the woods, exploring the ferns and vines around them, and away from the rest of the party. He became very animated. Zelda was very impressed at his deep understanding of the subject. The girls had given up trying to recall them and wandered back to the birthday party. So Zelda and Neville ended up sitting on the log by the swimming hole, where Neville discoursed happily on the properties of magical herbs and plants.

The Quidditch game must have ended, because the noise from the players had ceased. The sudden pop of a wizard Apparating behind them sounded very loud, and made Zelda and Neville both jump up in alarm.

A hooded, black-cloaked figure faced them. It made no sound and stood there motionless. Zelda knew this was a good surprise, but before she could move, Neville stepped between her and the stranger, holding his wand ready.

A noise came from the trees behind them, a soft bark. Rowena rushed toward the figure, her tail wagging so fast it was a blur.

"Neville, it's okay," whispered Zelda, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Longbottom, it will be most unfortunate for you, if you attempt to hex me," a familiar voice hissed coldly.

Such a shiver ran through the young man that Zelda could feel it. "Is it really okay, Zelda?" he asked, his voice cracking. He lowered his wand, but said stubbornly, "He k-killed Dumbledore!"

Severus felt a reluctant twinge of respect for the idiot boy's stubbornness. If he'd shown this much determination in his classes, something more might have been made of him. He thrust the hood irritably off his head and offered his attention to Rowena, who sat before him whimpering with excitement. He put his wandless hands out to the dog, stroking her warmly.

Neville watched, stunned. Professor Snape, petting a dog?

"Close your mouth, Longbottom," the low voice suggested. "I am here for a very short time. Would you please tell Potter that I am here? No one else."

Neville nodded. He glanced into Zelda's face, hoping it wasn't a mistake to leave her, and saw that her face was radiant with joy.

"It's okay, and thanks, Neville. You're a great guy," she whispered. "Go tell Harry, okay? I'll be back soon. It's that way," she said, pointing down the trail.

Neville began walking quickly away. He turned back once, but the sight of that friendly Muggle woman running into Professor Snape's outstretched arms and putting her face up to be kissed, shocked him deeply. He began jogging along the trail, looking for Harry.
Sign up to rate and review this story