Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Preparations

by Emilie_D 1 review

Battening down the hatches and last minute plans.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-19 - Updated: 2006-11-19 - 3336 words - Complete

0MarySue
August the tenth began like any other morning for Zelda and Michael. The summer was still hot, and the morning felt moist and heavy, hinting at thunderstorms later on.

"Zel, come in and have breakfast," Michael called from the cabin. He was worried. He was aware that Severus had come to her, late the night before last, spending a few hours alone with her and then leaving. Since that time she'd been very subdued, and her attention was far away.

"Rowena!" called Zelda. The dog burst from the trees and ran to her, and they entered the cabin together. "Morning, Michael," she said softly.

He set the pan he was holding down on the stove and came to hug her. "Coffee's on the table," he said kindly.

When they were seated across from each other, he used Legilimency on her, something he had not done before. The despair he saw shocked him deeply, before she blocked him.

"Satisfied?" she asked sadly.

"Not at all. Why don't you tell me about it, babe?"

"Severus is... oh, Michael, it's bad." She pushed her untouched plate away irritably. "He managed to get word to Aberforth several times. Well, since you've spoken to Minerva, you must know. But the Dark Lord's watching him more closely, and he treats Severus with excessive respect in front of the Death Eaters, but tests him constantly when they're alone."

"How does he test Severus?" asked Michael slowly.

"Legilimency, all the time. He hasn't seen anything important, but once Voldemort saw Severus despising Pettigrew." She shuddered. "It was an excuse for the Cruciatus Curse then."

"That's the torture curse."

"Uh huh," she said dully. "Michael, he's so thin and so tired, and that was almost two days ago. He's prepared to die."

"Oh... Zel," he said, his heart wrung with pity. He stood up abruptly and pulled her to her feet, hugging her fiercely. "He has to be prepared or he can't do this. /But he hasn't given up/! I swear it."

She sagged miserably against him. "You knew he came, didn't you? He couldn't face anyone else, and we... talked..." She gulped, wondering if she should say more. "When he slept, it was like a coma. He's stripped himself completely of everything but one purpose now, and it's like seeing a tree that was green and alive, now bare and dry and dead. He's like Phil, in the last days of his life."

"Sit down and eat while it's still hot," he said sternly, suppressing a shudder at her description. "You're not helping him if you let yourself get weak."

She sat down, pulled her plate up and took a bite of sausage. "Is that what you did... when you... in the war?"

He nodded. "The others aren't there yet, but he's in the thick of it. Trust him, he knows what to do."

"Molly's bringing Ginny today, probably any time. I have to convince that girl to stay here, somehow," she said ironically. She forced herself to keep eating and smiled faintly at him. "When are you going?"

He was speechless. "I hoped you didn't know. I'm not sure, it's up to Kingsley and Minerva."

Once again she set down her fork. "Michael, we've been friends for a long time. But after this summer, you're my family. If you've decided to go, I support your decision and I love you, babe. I've never had a better friend and I want you to know it."

She held her hand out and he clasped it tightly.

"You and the kids kept me going when I wanted to give up. You and Phil shared the best years of my life, Zel. You're the bratty little sister I always needed in my life." He smiled brightly. "I'll be careful and I'll be back, kiddo."

"I wish... Michael, magic terrifies me, but I'd go if it'd help."

"Since it's confession time, what I thought was my healthy respect for magic seems pretty close to terror," he said. "But Minerva and Kingsley want me to do a specific job and then get out."

"I feel useless," she confessed. "Helpless, pathetic Muggle me. But deep down, I'm relieved that I can't be there, because I'm scared. And when I think of Severus... you know, he should be with someone magical and powerful."

'Now you're losing it," he snapped. "You two might as well be married already. I've never seen such a nauseating pair."

She sighed ironically. "It feels like that to me, but two months ago my life was so different. I wonder what's real. I wonder if I'm still me, Michael."

A knock on the door made both of them jump.

"Trust, me, you're you," he had just time to say, before the door opened.

Molly, Ginny and Harry entered. Harry was carrying a large basket, which seemed to contain Crookshanks, judging from the spitting and hissing it emitted. Rowena approached eagerly and circled the basket when he set it on the floor.

Ginny had a mulish gleam in her eyes and her companions looked nervous.

"Good morning," Molly said wearily. "If there's coffee made, I wouldn't say no to a cup."

Michael poured her a cup and set it on the table, where she sank down and sat in silence.

"Hi, Ginny," Zelda said with a sad little smile. "How're you feeling about everything?"

"It sucks!" she snapped. "I'm sorry, Zelda. It's not you, but I should be there. I'm not a bloody Muggle, I can fight!"

Zelda flinched. She hadn't expected an easy time from Ginny Weasley, but she was tired and terrified that she might let Molly down. "Of course you can fight, Ginny. You're smart and talented," she said irritably. "But how much do you want to endanger your parents?"

"I won't endanger them," she snarled, eyes blazing with rage. "What if I end up saving their lives, instead?"

"Ginny!" Harry said loudly. "Stop it! I can't stand this. Please, please don't act like this."

She turned to Harry, furious tears springing into her eyes. "I'm not a helpless little girl, Harry Potter. I've a right to be there."

"Ginny, please listen," Molly said sternly. "I'm responsible now to Hogwarts and the Order, and I won't be able to concentrate on my job if you're there. Your father feels the same."

"Ron's going to be there. All of you are!" shrieked Ginny, her eyes bulging. "What if you're all killed, what'll happen to /me/?"

"I thought we all agreed you'd stay here," said Harry.

"Well, I was mad to even consider it. Zelda and Michael can keep Crookshanks here, but I'm going back."

"Enough!" Michael roared. The ensuing silence echoed around them. "Not another word for two minutes," he said quietly.

Zelda went to the basket and peered through the holes. Sure enough, Hermione's cat was inside, glaring balefully out at Rowena.

"Can we let him out?" she asked.

Ginny nodded and came to help. While Zelda held Rowena's collar, Ginny opened the basket.

Crookshanks stalked out and began circling the whining dog. Rowena's bouncing enthusiasm looked pitiful next to that calculating feline stare.

Zelda hauled the dog over to the door and opened it, saying, "Go outside, ridiculous dog!"

Rowena trotted out the door then and Crookshanks raced through it too, shooting straight into a large shrub, through which he studied the dog and the new landscape.

"That was easy," Zelda commented. "Ginny, come outside with me."

They closed the door on Harry, Molly and Michael, and Zelda led Ginny rapidly along a narrow trail through the trees.

"Talk to me, Ginny," Zelda said compassionately, gesturing her to a seat by the pond. "Your whole world's on the line. Nothing can make this attack go away, but what can help you bear it?"

Ginny's fists clenched. "/I hate it when they treat me like a child/!" Her jaw was stubbornly set. "I can fight! They can't just push me to the side and tell me to be a good little girl. I should be there."

"In your position, I'd feel the same way," said Zelda. "As a Muggle, the thought of a magical war scares the shit out of me, and I can't help. But you've got good magical skills, and you're smart and brave."

"Exactly. That's why I have to go."

Zelda sighed. "Your whole family's in it."

Ginny paused and realized what that might mean. "Yeah," she replied sullenly.

"They love you, don't they? Your parents and all the crazy big brothers?"

The faces of her brothers flashed through Ginny's mind. Bossy, teasing, obnoxious, bullying gits, they were the adored and resented sharers of her charmed childhood. Her father's sweet, absent-minded smile appeared, and finally she allowed herself to imagine her mum fighting a war. She remembered the fight at the Ministry. "They love me," she said dully. Her anger was draining rapidly out of her, leaving cold terror exposed.

Zelda's Legilimency allowed her to see Ginny's awareness of her own fear come to the surface. She allowed the silence to stretch out before them. Without the powerful defense of anger, perhaps the young woman could think rationally.

Hot tears burned Ginny's eyes and a wave of panic washed through her. She looked up at Zelda, and found the woman's blue eyes fixed sorrowfully on her.

"What's going to happen, Zelda?" she asked. "If I stayed here, what can... Isn't there something I can /do/?"

"I'm hoping we can do something. It's a total waste for us to sit here wringing our hands. But they've made elaborate plans for the Order and for Hogwarts. Nothing's been left to chance. Your mother, Professor McGonagall and Kingsley have been plotting for weeks. I respect their work and I want them to succeed."

"They've hardly told me anything," muttered Ginny.

"Same here. Kingsley's actually spent hours conferring with Michael. They know if there's anything I can contribute I'll gladly do it, but they haven't asked. I feel useless, even for a Muggle."

"But, Professor Snape must've..." Ginny began hesitantly.

Zelda snorted. "He's the worst, sweetie, but I can't be mad at him. He doesn't have the leisure to moan if things go wrong. Too many lives are riding on his performance. But he'd want to die if anything happens to me. He needs to believe I'm safe."

It was odd to imagine Snape feeling like that about anyone, much less a Muggle he hadn't known very long. But she pondered Zelda's words and said slowly, "Harry said something like that to me."

"Yeah," replied Zelda. "Not just Harry though. Your whole family too, especially your mum." Tears appeared in her eyes and she continued, "Ginny, the day my kids were born I knew I'd die for them. Molly feels the same. You're tough and capable, but you're the only one that Molly can still try to protect. She's doing this for you, and she needs to know you're safe, so she can do her job effectively. Many lives are riding on the job she does now and you should be proud of her. She's a brave witch."

For the first time, Ginny really saw her mother as a responsible member of the Order. Pride stirred in her, but was quickly overwhelmed by despair. "I don't want her to do it!" she snapped. "She could be hurt, or..." her voice trailed off.

"Ginny," Zelda said softly. "Because she stayed at home to raise you kids, people underestimate her. She's clever and strong, and has seen a lot in her life. She lost her brothers to Voldemort, so it's her right to fight him, now that you and your brothers are grown. Respect her and support her choice."

Tears rolled down Ginny's cheeks and she could not speak. She nodded a reluctant agreement and accepted Zelda's outstretched hand.

"I want them to come here if they're hurt or trapped," said Zelda. "With the Fidelius Charm, only our friends can come here. I can do first aid, but not magic. Do you know any Healing magic?"

Ginny shook her head slowly. She hadn't considered what would happen to the wounded.

"If I offer that they come here, I'll need someone who can do magic. I can't use Muggle remedies for everything, but this is the safest place an injured person can be, isn't it? If they can be treated, of course."

"If it's a huge attack, I guess St. Mungo's could be really jammed." Ginny's quick mind began imagining what a battle would mean for her family and for everyone. "Zelda, my mum has a few books. There's not much time, but if she brings one, I'll start reading now. I learn fast."

They began walking back, but Ginny said, "Oh, bloody hell. Hold on, Zelda!" She grabbed Zelda's arm and Apparated them back to the cabin. "And I'm too young to Apparate, so that was illegal," she snarled.

Zelda laughed at that as Ginny burst into the cabin.

"Mum, I'm staying," she announced, running straight to her mother and hugging her wildly. "And if any of you are injured, Zelda and I'll be here, so you come to us. I need some books. Will you get me /The Healer's Helpmate/?"

Molly's arms circled her daughter's strong, slender body. She looked over to Zelda, just entering the cabin, and gratitude brought tears to her eyes. "I'm so proud of you, Ginny," she said, her voice breaking. "It's a brilliant plan, and if you'll be here to help Zelda with magic, this is the perfect refuge for our people."

Michael and Harry exchanged relieved glances, but they sat meekly at the table, not wishing to provoke another outburst.

"I don't know much about healing, but I have some time now, Mum. Will you get the book?" asked Ginny.

"I'll take the Portkey and be back in five minutes," replied Molly. "Thank you, Ginny and Zelda. I'll tell Minerva and Kingsley too." She stepped to the Portkey and disappeared.

"I guess I should go over the supplies with you two then," said Michael. "If there's anything you don't feel confident using, then don't use it. But you should be able to do the basic stuff and I'll be here most of the time, I hope." He led Ginny and Zelda to a closet and flung it open. Floor to ceiling shelves contained a small hospital worth of supplies.

Ginny stared at the huge number of sterile wrapped packages in all shapes and sizes. Michael explained in detail what they contained, and what they were used for. It brought home the fact that real injuries would happen to people she loved, and her stomach twisted painfully.

When they had finished the inventory, Harry said, "Zelda, where are the books Professor Snape brought here from Hogwarts?"

"I'll get them," she said, going into the bedroom. She carried the pile out and set them in front of Harry.

"This one, Gin," he said, handing her a large book entitled /A Compendium of Common Curses and Their Counter-Actions/. "Just glance through and review any of the counters you don't already know. Your spell work's already great." His smile, when he looked up at her, was joyful. "I'm really glad you're doing this. I'd much rather come here than any place else."

Molly and Kingsley appeared together then.

"I come bearing gifts," said the Auror, flashing an appealing smile at Ginny. He held out a box containing several small jars and bottles. "This one's burn-healing paste," he said, pointing to a jar. "This is Blood-Replenishing Potion and the purple one is a Sleeping Potion."

Ginny listened intently and looked at the small labels on each one.

"And Ginny," said Kingsley quietly. "Officially I never said this, but it's war, kid. If someone makes it here and it's life and death, Apparate with him to St. Mungo's. I know you can Apparate, your brothers told me."

Ginny blushed at his serious tone and his confidence in her. "I'll do it, don't worry," she promised.

Molly set the book on the table, and said, "Zelda, thank you."

Zelda smiled and hugged her. "We couldn't do this without Ginny. I can't stand the thought of any of you wounded, but we can really help some now if it's bad."

Ginny and Harry were engrossed in discussing the books and Potions on the table, so the adults went outside to speak freely.

"I hope she'll stay now," said Michael.

"She doesn't feel useless now, so maybe it'll be okay," replied Zelda. "So, Kingsley, what's up with the two locations? Are they both covered? I just finished telling Ginny that I don't know anything. I want information."

"Scrimgeour's prepared at the Ministry. They're prepared for a large influx of casualties at St. Mungo's and your man's a genius, Zelda," he replied.

"I know that," she said grimly. "Have you seen him? Is he okay?"

"Minerva sent her staff members to Hogsmeade yesterday, so he could get samples for the Polyjuice. I wore an Invisibility Cloak and followed. If I hadn't known it'd happen, I'd have had no idea. The Trelawney was moaning about 'portents of disaster,' and it made me wonder if she actually is a Seer. She's certainly irritating."

The others chuckled dutifully, and waited.

"Well, anyway, Severus appeared at the Three Broomsticks. He'd done such a masterful Disillusionment Charm I didn't realize what was happening until he was there and gone. The ladies had no idea." Kingsley smiled comfortingly at them. "As of yesterday he was fine."

"Is everything ready at Hogwarts?" asked Michael. "How many giants are you expecting?"

"Almost all of them have gone to the other refuges," Molly said, rather shakily. "We estimate that only four are left, besides the Gurg. But what that means for Severus, when Voldemort realizes they're gone, frightens me. I can't see how he can be blamed, but Voldemort's not about fairness, is he?"

"It won't be long before we know," Zelda said firmly. "Um... what's Michael's role in this? I hate to seem totally needy, but if actual wounded people come here, I'll feel better if Super Medic's here with us."

Michael grinned at her and put a reassuring hand on her arm.

"Michael's going to be with us for a very short time, using Portkeys. When he's finished, he'll take a Portkey back here. He's offered to use his special skills on our behalf," Kingsley said softly.

"You mean his obnoxious mouth?" asked Zelda, smiling innocently. She felt sick at the thought of losing Michael, but after the sanctimonious lecture she'd just given Ginny, she strove to act like a reasonable adult.

"Whatever it takes, babe," he said with a smirk.

Molly could see the terror in Zelda's eyes. They all stood to lose people they loved, and reassuringly she said, "The attack's not something we expect to go on long. Without all of the giants, and with Professor Flitwick's assistance in destroying the Inferi, it will be decided quickly."

"I wish it could be done then, Molly What about Harry? He hasn't found the... Horcrux. Is he going to be there?"

The witch sighed. "He's not going to try to confront Voldemort. I'm proud of him, because he didn't come to this decision impulsively. Harry's a powerful young wizard and he's of age. He wants to help all of us and as much as I want him protected, none of us can deny him."

Zelda looked from Molly's face to Kingsley. The Order's desperate need forced them to accept Harry Potter's presence in this fight, but neither of them was eager to risk the young man's life. "Hermione and Ron too, of course," she said sadly.

"Hey, as long as we have guests, I think you could all use a good meal," Michael said bracingly. "Kingsley, my man, lets show these fragile ladies how real men cook."

Kingsley stood up and bowed ostentatiously. "Dear ladies, luncheon will be served presently."

The men strolled away, leaving Molly and Zelda with nothing to do but smile for a moment.
Sign up to rate and review this story