Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Ignorance is Bliss

You can Breathe....

by The_best_cliche 5 reviews

Just because you don't know what you're looking for, doesn't mean you can't find what you want. Short Joe Story!

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-11-25 - Updated: 2006-11-26 - 3442 words

3Exciting
Cherise watched as she loaded the dishwasher. This was like any other normal Saturday morning. Well, every other Saturday morning. "hey, so I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping, have a girls day out or something?"

Wiping her hands, she nodded "Sure, but we just have to drop them at the agency first. It's her day." Madilyn grabbed her glass of juice, finishing it and placing it into the dishwasher.

"I know, no problem." cherise slipped herself off the kitchen island stool, grabbing a banana from the counter to eat it. "they have to be there at ten?"

"yeah, so we have to hurry up." she made her way over to the steps. "BRIAN, KAELYN. Lets go!" Madilyn yelled for them, as they started down the steps. She hated letting them go, but if she didn't it would be going against the court order and then it would just help her mother's case.

"Do we have to?" Brian trodded down the steps. Kaelyn bouncing behind him, holding a toy.

Nodding, Madilyn went to grab her bag as she took out her wallet handing Brian some money "Yes, but, here take this in case she doesn't have any. You can get lunch for the three of you. Okay?"

He nodded as he put the money into his pocket. Unfortunately, as much as Madilyn had tried to shelter them from the truth , Brian had come to the age where he understood the situation. He also had a lot of feelings that he tried to hide. "I don't know why we have to go, she obviously thinks her life is more important than us" Brian tied his shoe.

Madilyn turned to Cherise and frowned. She wanted to just tell him they didn't have to go but, Madilyn couldn't do that. Reaching for her brother she held his face and made him look at her. "She loves you Brian, she loves all of us. I know it's hard to understand, and I know you don't believe me but it's true. Mom just..." Madilyn saw Kaelyn watching their conversation as Brian turned around to follow her vision. "How about if we finish this later? You can show me what you've learned on the guitar, or we can rent a movie, and just talk. Sounds good?"

"yeah" Brian nodded, folding his arms over his chest.

"lets go" cherise grabbed her keys. "We'll take my car, I'll drive"

"Kae, can you go with Aunt Cherry to the car. I'll be right there" Madilyn looked at Cherise, as her friend took her hand and left the house. Turning back to her brother Madilyn struggled with what she wanted to say and what she knew had to be said. Madilyn herself had emotions and feelings but that needed to be put aside. "I know things are hard for you, and I promise we can talk about everything and anything you want tonight. Just please go, and be nice to Mom. No matter how you feel, if she is willing to make a life change for you and Kae than that is a great thing Brian. She needs to get herself better. But, I am not going to tell you how you should act or feel. You are turning into a wonderful young man and you are able to formulate your own opinions, but all I am going to ask of you, is to watch your sister. Kaelyn is still young, just make sure she is safe. She needs her big brother."

Smiling he nodded "I will" Brian reached up to hug his sister.

Taking a deep breath, Madilyn wrapped an arm around Brian as they left the house. Unfortunately, they went through this almost every two weeks when Brian and Kaelyn were scheduled to go see their mother. Their mother had visitation, twice a month, eight hours each time. Madilyn was supposed to drop them off at the family social service building, where they would stay with a supervisor who had to stay with the kids as their mother had her visitation. This meeting usually led to Kaelyn having a lot of anger and resentment in her. She didn't understand why she couldn't just go stay with her mom, like normal kids. All of her friends lived with their parents, to her there was no reason why she couldn't either. Madilyn didn't have it in her to tell her everything. Maybe, she was just hoping that their Mother would change her ways. Sometimes, hope is all you can do when your head and heart know better.

The trip to the building was a short one, and Madilyn brought them inside not surprised to see their mother had yet to arrive yet. Although the social worker claimed she was on her way. Madilyn made it back to the car as Cherise looked at the clock and sped away. They had been driving for about ten minutes when Madilyn finally realized they were going the complete opposite way of any kind of recreational facility.

"Umm Cherise, where are we going?"

"Oh! Well, this client called up while you were bringing the kids in. I've been talking to him for a few days about giving us a campaign. He told me to go pick up the product and see what we can come up with and then he'll make a final decision"

"Oh" Maddie nodded "okay, but I am not really dressed for a meeting"

"it's completely informal, and he was more than understanding seeing as this was last minute anyway. He was just happy to get in touch with me in such short notice" Cherise made a turn. Following the directions.

"alright, I just hope he doesn't want to talk too long. I really want to go out and relax" Madilyn sat further into the chair, looking out the window.

Within a few more minutes, they pulled up to the house and the girls started to walk towards the car. "Well, this guy is successful" Madilyn commented as they both giggled and rang the door bell.

"Um Hi, you don't have my pizza" the man who answered the door commented.

Cherise smirked, licking her lips. Bad thoughts were running through her head, he was hungry, eh? "I have something else you can eat" She winked at him. As Pete stood there, his mouth and eyes wide "excuse us, we're expected." pushing the door open, she grabbed her friend's arm dragging her inside with her.

"you're expected? No, not unless you were holding my pizza" Pete huffed, folding his arms over his chest "which you aren't" Did it bother him that two women just waltzed into a house, that wasn't his in the first place? Of course not, Pete just wanted his food.

Turning back to him, Cherise gave him a look "I'm sorry. Let me introduce myself, I'm Cherise, and this is my friend and boss Madilyn, from the advertising company..." she trailed off hoping he would get it. He did speak to his best friend, right?

"Advertising agency? Wait, what?" Oy, this poor confused boy.

Clearing his throat, Joe stuffed his hands in his pockets as everyone turned to him. His voice was soft "hi"

"What is this?" Madilyn turned to Cherise. "I have to go." she tried to push away . There was no way she was going to stand there and look at him. "we're leaving Cherry, lets go"

"Please don't. I want to talk" Joe looked at her desperately. He just needed to explain things, to apologize. He had missed her more than he probably realized, but seeing her there right in front of him, Joe wanted to hug and kiss her. Make a million promises, as he swore a million times to never hurt her again if she just gave him another chance.

"NO!" Madilyn shook her head, her breathing increasing. She couldn't take being this close to him. "lets go Cherise.."

Cherise shook her head "No, I'm going. You're staying here and talking to him." Turning she grabbed Pete's arm. "lets go sexy, those two need to talk. Both of them" giving her friend a look. "tell him everything"

"I just want pizzzaaa!!" Pete complained as he was being dragged out. The poor boy was so confused. The front door closing behind them.

Madilyn looked at him, she wanted to fall apart and into his arms but she couldn't do that. Joe lied to her, and things wouldn't work out anyway. She had rationalized this already, made a commitment. The only thing Madilyn had to worry about was Brian and Kaelyn. "I don't want to talk to you" she turned away from him. She wanted to leave the house, but where would she go? Cherise drove.

"I know you don't want to talk, and I know what I did hurt you" Joe bit his bottom lip. "I never wanted to do that." he explained. "I just wanted to get to know you, and for you to get to know me despite the fact that I am in a band"

"but that is who you are. How could you hide that?" she shook her head. "Were you ever going to tell me? Or, were you waiting for it to explode and me to feel like an idiot?"

"Maddie, I never wanted to hurt you or make you feel anything less than amazing. And, I need you to understand that I didn't not tell you about how big the band was to play a game. I just.." he sighed, a hand running over his head. "You liked me because, you liked, me. People don't always do that anymore. They know I am in Fall Out Boy and that becomes the only thing that matters." Joe shook his head "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner. Or, that I didn't tell you."

"It doesn't matter now" Madilyn turned away from him again. It hurt to look at him. "You don't need to worry about it or me, okay? Thank you for helping me get the guitar, and helping Brian." taking out her cell phone she went to call Cherise and demand she come back to pick her up. "but now you can go, continue in your life. Good luck with your band, I wish you complete success."

"so that's it?" Joe gave her a confused look. "You don't even want to talk, or try to work through this? I like you Madilyn, and I thought we were starting to make something really good. Are you going to condemn me for wanting to just get to know you and you to know me without the media, fans or preconceived ideas and stories you could read about on the Internet? Why can't we try again?"

"because I can't be with you" She exasperated, turning back around to face him a hand running through her hair. Why did he have to make this so hard? This is the reason she had been avoiding him. Madilyn did not want to have to look at him in the face, and express how much she wanted to be with him, but couldn't. Joe had been the first thing to ever come into her life that almost made her resent having Kaelyn and Brian.

"why not?"

Shaking her head, Madilyn walked passed him. She wanted to get away, but had no clue where she was going. Unfortunately, she was stuck at his house, and damn Cherise had her phone off.

"Why not?" Joe repeated the question following her further into the house. They had found themselves in his entertainment room. When Cherise had called him the other day, she told him how stubborn Madilyn was going to be but that there was something she had to tell him. He just had to force it out of her. So, Joe was not going to give up without trying.

Shaking her head, Madilyn was gripping the strap to her bag. There was no way out of this, she was trapped in Joe's house, with him. "please Joe, I'm sorry., just, stop. I don't want.."

"No!" cutting her off. Joe was not going to let her not give him a real answer. She was avoiding something and he wasn't going to let her get away easily. "What Maddie? Why can't we be together? I see an amazing woman that I really want to get to know and no reason why we can't be together. So, you need to tell me something because I will not stop trying to be with you otherwise"

Sitting down on the couch, Madilyn buried her head in her hands as she rubbed her temples in some attempt to try to relax herself. She wanted to cry, hide and get as far away from Joe as possible. Figuring the truth will be the only thing that could set her free, She knew that all she had left was to tell him everything. Then she would just have to hear the words she anticipated. It would be all for the best though. "I can't be with you, because of me and my life." Madilyn took a deep breath. "I have guardianship, well custody of Brian and Kae."

"You're brother and sister?" he was confused. Madilyn had never mentioned anything about her family. "why?"

"yeah" she nodded, as she wiped a tear away. "And because, my mother is an abusive, alcoholic, drug addicted whore." Madilyn chuckled at how it came out, now he really would never want to be with her. "and I am saying that the nicest way possible." clearing her throat she figured to start from the beginning. "My father died after Kaelyn was born and he left us all a nice amount of money. We each had a trust fund, plus there was his life insurance. Anyway, my mom was never a nice mother but it got worse when my dad passed and she turned to drugs and alcohol. Heavily turned to them. I did as much as I could, I mean I was, 15?" she was holding back the tears. Madilyn tried to rush the story to prevent a mental breakdown "when I turned 18 I called Child Protective Services, and filed for custody. I basically went to college on scholarships so, with my trust fund I was able to get a house that was on foreclosure. I went to school, worked, tried to be there as much as possible for them. I've had full custody about five years. Then last year my mom decides to get back at me for being an "ungrateful child" and petitions the courts for custody. Right now, I am in a hugely publicized custody battle with my own mother. Most of this state hates me. They think I am lying about everything ,and just want my brother and sister for money. Kaelyn hates me the other half of the time. I am pretty much a stressed out mess all of the time. So yeah... " Madilyn started to play with the bracelet on her wrist. She could not look at him. This was the first time she had ever really expressed herself that much and although it almost felt like a burden being lifted the weight on her conscious was suffocating her heart. In her mind she already knew what he was going to say, she had played this scene in her head a million times.

"that's it?" Joe asked as he sat next to her on the couch. "That still doesn't tell me why you won't be with me."

Madilyn let out a laugh as she looked at him like he was insane. "you're an idolized guitar playing rock star with millions of fans and I am basically a parent to two kids while being slandered and despised by the state of Illinois. You don't need me to make your life harder" she looked down at her hands "I also couldn't ask you to take on the stress or responsibilities that come with having Brian and Kaelyn."

"See, that is your problem right there. Why are you defining who you are by your brother and sister?" Joe gave her the question Cherise had tried unsuccessfully to explain.

"they are the only thing that matter. Joe, I'm sorry but I will not let them go back with our mother. I'd rather sacrifice everything in life before that happens"

"so, you don't matter? Your life and your happiness? Madilyn, I don't want to be mean but you did the same thing I did. To have fun and meet someone despite what is your life. For the first time you did something you wanted, that made you happy. It did not include your brother and sister but just you." He paused "Look, I knew before you were an amazing woman but to know just a little of what you have and are battling puts me in awe. I respect what you are doing but it doesn't change what I feel about you Maddie. I like you. The person that you are, the one you let me see. Kaelyn, Brian, or your mother, do not change anything to me. " He tilted his face to the side looking at her. Joe reached out for her hand, taking it in his. "I still want to be with you"

Madilyn looked at their hands and then up to him. His words sounded amazing yet, it was so hard to believe. To her, Kaelyn Brian, her mother and the situation made everything different. Why or how could Joe be so understanding? "Everything is going to be harder. If or when we could see each other. The media in both of our lives.."

"So we work through it together" he added squeezing her hand "Next problem?" Joe was just going to push her into a corner.

She laughed and licked her lips using her other hand to dry her tears "yeah, why are you so great?"

"Well..." He trailed off laughing.Joe hoped this changed things. It is hard for anyone to find someone who likes them for who they are, even harder when you're a 'celebrity' or so hollywood made them. "Can we start over? Everything in the open. I am not letting you leave this house otherwise."

Madilyn's smile grew as she looked into Joe's compassionate understanding, beautiful eyes. Nothing could compare and she had no clue what she had ever done to be deserving of him but right now, looking into his eyes. It didn't matter. Part of her still thought she should fight him, but how can you say no to something you really want. "Hi, I'm Madilyn, I have my own rising advertisement company and custody of my two younger siblings. At the moment I am also engaged in a heated court battle against my mother."

Joe laughed and nodded "I'm Joe, the lead guitarist for this amazing world loved and fan frenzy band called Fall Out Boy and I couldn't be happier than I am right here" He leaned forward and kissed her lips. "I lied, that made me happier"

"me too" Madilyn agreed kissing him again.

When you have nothing to worry about, and no fear about the secrets and lies you hold in it always makes you happier. The truth is always easier to live with. It doesn't mean life still wont be hard, but when you smile you could be proud of it. You can look in the mirror and not hate who you are. Only when you are honest with yourself and people in your life will good things come to you. That is when you can appreciate them. It helps you realize knowledge and understanding are always better than ignorance.





So this is the end..... I hope you enjoyed it as much as i have. I do not know if i will make a sequel, i am greatly considering it though. I do not want to solicit comments or reviews but, if you did read this story and you liked it I would appreciate knowing. Even if you hated it, you took the time to read it, tell me you hated it. Honesty is always the best policy! =)

For anyone who have commented and kept up with the story, i thank you for giving me the inspiration and drive to continue this story. This was merely going to be a one chapter story, and it amazes me that i managed to create something more. Every comment i take to heart, so thank you. The words you left me at times left me speechless and in awe of the sincerity of people.

I do hope you enjoyed this story as much as i did writing it.

Linda
Sign up to rate and review this story