Categories > Original > Horror > The Shallows

Terror in the lake

by IcedHope 3 reviews

There have allways been rumors, about the local lakes, and rivers containing creatures, that are waiting for any ignorant swimmer to cross their path. This is one of those stories.

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-07-26 - Updated: 2005-07-26 - 984 words

-1Illiterate
Edge brook, was one of those small, quaint towns. It thrived by the fishermen, and the local store owners,

Edge brook sat on a lake. The lake was beautiful; to the locals, it was the most beautiful thing in the
world.

Yet deep within these waters lays a horrible secret, one that has claimed countless victims. Through out Edge brook's history, tales have been told about these creatures, the local Indians would sit around a
campfire and tell stories. Some would tell of a creature swimming towards the shore and dragging a deer to the depths to feed.

Many of the local tribes, have fallen victim to the creatures, remains washing up on the beach.

The Indians would, sometimes take one who had violated the tribes laws, and lay him on a raft, and wait for the devils to take him, into their domain.

Through out time, people have forgotten the Indian's tales of the creatures. They more so, didn't care or thought that they were silly, and stupid. All urban legends, they would say.

Though some people have claimed to see one rise from the lake, and walk on the shore searching for food. But still no one took this seriously, they all couldn't believe such, tales of creatures existing in the depths of edge lake, feeding on the flesh of humans, or anything they could snatch in their claws.

The lakes waters where calm, it was almost like a mirror, when you looked to the waters, you saw yourself.

The waters of the lake, where deep, they ranged from 100 to 350, in some spots; it had a cave on the southern end, it was fifty-five feet, below the glass surface, the entrance to the cavern, was 6 feet, high, and 5 feet wide.

No one had ever explored, the cave, but then again, nobody knew it was there. When the sunset, the sky over looking the lake, was beautiful. It turned, a blood red, and the clouds would turn a deep purple. It was a sight to be seen, many tourists, would come and spend the night in the woods, near the lake, and just before sunset, they would journey to the shores, to watch the sunset; Some would stay a bit later, to look at the beautiful, night sky, stars dancing in the blackness in space.

The land was very beautiful, though it has a treacherous secret, the land was amazing, non the less. Through, the blackness of the forest, two men come stumbling out of from the woods, one a tall man, wearing a beat-up baseball cap, with a maiden shirt on, and sporting the latest, 80's hairdo, the mullet.

His buddy, one short fat fellow, wearing a wife beater, exposing, his pinkish, pig gut. His face more or less looked like pig, short turned up nose, and beady squinty eyes.

The both stumbled out and approached the shore. They could smell the fish, in the lake. " Hey, Todd, we going to fish her tonight, right?", snorted piggy.

" You bet, your sweet fucking ass we are. Robbie told me he saw, a 15 pound bass swimming out there, and were going to catch it."

"Yeah, sure we is...". Todd, took something out of his pocket, a long orange tube, with a string attached one end. He smiled and laughed, his three tooth grin, really showed his intelligence." Now, what where going to do, is throw, this boom stick, out there. When the big fish rises, where going to go and swim out there, and bring it back here, and carry it back to the bed of the truck.", Todd smiled, as he lit the dynamite and threw it to the center of the lake.

They, wait and before long. A Huge spout of water erupted from the lake, and in the spout where bits of fish and small bits of blood.

The noise attracted on of the creatures, and the particles of blood in the water, stimulated it even more. It swam to the surface, it\'s sleek, muscular body propelling it to the surface, to eat what ever remained of the frenzy, it thought had occurred. It rose to the surface, and started to gulp some of the flesh and intestines, that was once, a school of blue gill.

It Opened it's hideous jaws, engulfing the remains. Lazily swing in the middle of the lake. Opening and closing it's jaws, to let the remains slide down it's gullet. He saw, it the monster bass, gulping up remnants of the fish.

He took of his shirt, then followed by his shorts. He dove in, he started splashing towards the creature, he was going to wrestle it into submission. He approached the feeding creature, and lunged on it's back, and started to wrestle it. The creature startled, it thrashed, giving off a high pitched, shriek.

It thrashed, and thrashed, after a few minutes of struggling it freed, it's self, and charged. Jumping out of the water, and landing on Todd's back, the creature tearing and his back, ripping flesh from the bone.

Todd's screams could be heard across, the lake. The creature, taking his hands, grabbed Todd's, head and started to pull it backwards, he screamed in agony. As the creature took a bite, from terror fill cranium.

Hog saw the attack from the shore, he dove into the water, as fast as his fat body could carry him. After twenty minutes of swimming, he stopped, and took a breath, and continued to swim to where Todd had been taken down. He stopped again, and looked, nothing could be seen, told was no where in sight. Hog started to look around, and tried to dive, but his fat would cause him to rise to the surface. He Felt a cold clammy hand grab his ankle, and drag him down below, the only thing that remained of hog, was a cloud of blood in the water.
Sign up to rate and review this story