Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Child of Labored Love

You get one phone call

by LadyLye 0 reviews

Wumei is entered into Beijing's prison system, and makes a desperate plea for help to a total stranger.

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Wufei - Warnings: [Y] - Published: 2006-12-09 - Updated: 2006-12-10 - 1514 words

0Unrated
"Time of Arrest, 2:48am, October 18th, AC209. Arresting officer, Khu Laofan, number 20817. Taken into custody, one Pan Bo, male. Height: 5'2". Weight: 167lbs. Age," the man typing up the arrest report ceased muttering under his breath, and glanced at my solicitor. The fat man shifted his weight uncomfortably.

"53."

"Age: 53. Accused of hiring a minor prostitute."

Who the fuck was this guy calling minor? I puffed up like a small bird... although he was right, I was pretty minor in the bust department, and even such primal attempts to look big didn't do much good. Really the only thing I had going for me was my shortened school uniform, my makeup, and my hair- Genji Ma had made it very clear, in numerous snide ways, that I was hardly pretty.

"Taken into custody, one... Name, Miss?"

He was looking directly at me. I scowled back. Hadn't they asked for that already, or taken my old school ID from my wallet yet? They'd confiscated my purse at the scene. Were these guys incompetent or what?

"Name, please."

"Chang Wumei," I spat, hoping to somehow wound or shock the man."

"One Chang Wumei, female. Apparent student of Min-"

"Former student."

He ignored me and carried on. "-hang Academy of Girls." Like this should interest me, he glanced at me again. "My sister-in-law sends her daughters there." I gave him my best disgusted look. Was I supposed to justify his hate for the woman or something? He turned back to the computer. "Height: 4'11"."

"And three quarters!"

"Weight: 98lbs."

"What?!"

"Age..." He looked at me again. Looked me up and down, like old Pan Bo had down behind the fish market. "Fourteen."

"FIFTEEN! My birthday was two months ago, jackass!" I blustered, tugging futilely at the cuffs still linking my arms behind my back. "I'm freaking fifteen! They used to marry kids my age, you know! Some places, I'd already have a kid! Maybe TWO!"

"Miss, if you don't quiet down, we'll have to put you in solitary overnight for refusing to cooperate."

"I don't give a flying fu-!"

Which, of course, got me landed in a tiny, cinderblock room by myself for the night. I wasn't a happy camper at all by that point- my arms were covered in bruises from too-strong hands, and I hadn't eaten in ages. Apparently the cops thought four a.m. was too early for breakfast, so I had to sweat it out, without even a window to tell me how much longer I had to wait. After pacing for a full hour I paced before giving in to the creaky, unsupportive cot placed there for my convenience.

When I woke up, a tray was sitting, cold, on the floor. Ecstatic, I went straight for it and gobbled the fruit up first. The cereal was a soggy mess, but I attacked it wholeheartedly, and happy slurped every drop of liquid. It had been too long, Wumei... Far, far too long... There was more to this running away thing than a big scene at home and not having to do homework or go to bed on time.

Fed and rested, I considered my situation. How long was I confined to solitary? And did I really want out? Obviously I was in trouble- underage prostitution was a huge problem, and they weren't going to go lightly on the few they managed to actually catch. That made me grimace. I didn't like the idea of becoming a 'warning' for all the other little girls and letches in the big city. I liked being sent back to Genji Ma even less. That was when I really started worrying. How stupid was it to give them my real name? Why couldn't I have thought up a pseudonym, like She Who Gives Good Head or Wet Pussy? I mean, think of what that would've done for my street cred'!

The flat screen built into a wall of my cell flickered to life, and a woman who might as well have been a man, for all she looked like one, sought me out on the floor. Her look read, 'Of course. Why wouldn't a whore eat on the floor like a dog?' The anger returned and I rose to face her. "Chang Wumei?"

"Yes. Whatcha want?"

"I am Officer Xia. You've been charged with eliciting prostitution, as a minor. We've contacted your school and your guardian." My face must have fallen visibly, because she began, ever so slightly, to smirk. "You're entitled to one phone call. We've anticipated the numbers you may want, and they will appear on the screen in a moment. If you would like to request another, say, 'Request Information' and the name you want. If you behave through lunchtime, you may be released from solitary by dinner. Am I understood?"

I bit my tongue and nodded. I wanted to see sunlight again, even if there were bars in the way. Her image blanked and was replaced by a screen of names and phone numbers. I sighed and skimmed them, expecting and finding the usual. Mao Genji... Minahou Academy of Girls... a few lawyers, in and around Beijing... Chang Wufei, Preventor.

"What?" I hissed, leaning closer to the screen. It had to be a joke. I had only ever seen that name printed on school registration and hospital forms. What was it doing here, in my 'anticipated phone number' list?

"Name not recognized," replied the screen in stilted, pre-recorded tones. "Please try again."

"Wh- Request Information! Chang Wufei!" I said without thinking, placing my hands on either side of the screen, steadying myself.

"Hold, please." An infuriating clock graphic spun in front of me, until I thought I would punch a hole through the screen... And then it was filled with random fragments that made up the government's biography of a man named Chang Wufei.

Born, AC180, location unknown. Height: 5'4". Weight: 98lbs. Hair: Black. Eyes: Black. National Descent: Chinese. Military experience: Preventor, level six. Location: Colony Cluster L5, RO-125, Apartment 26, Witherspoon Road. Phone Number...

"Would you like to dial this contact?"

I thought furiously, leaning against the cinderblocks. I didn't know this man. It was sheer coincidence that his name and elements of his biography- his race, his date of birth, his eye color- had alerted of the police search bots. He was leagues away, somewhere out in space, and nearly twice my age... but would he help me? Wasn't your One Phone Call supposed to be kinda secure, after that new legislation passed?

"Yes. Dial Chang Wufei. ...Please."

"Home number unlisted. Dial work number?"

"Yes, dial his work number. Anything. Just- dial him." What was I doing? I was wasting my one phone call on a guy who had no reason to help me at all, no reason even to pick up the phone. I tried to work out a plan and decide what I would say to such a person; wondered if it was too late to call Genji Ma and beg for her forgiveness.

Meanwhile, the videophone rang... and rang... and a voicemail message echoed through the tiny room.

"Hello, you've reached the desk of Chang Wufei, Preventor Level 6, Investigative Division," said a man in his early thirties. I found myself staring, captivated by eyes I had only ever seen in the mirror before. "I'm not available at the moment, but if you leave your name, number, and a brief message, I'll get back to you." His comforting tones disappeared along with his face, and another mechanical robot gave me five seconds until the beep...

Beeeeeep.

I took a deep breath. "Hi. Hi, um... You don't..." I looked imploringly at the screen, now blue with a slowly ticking timer of how long my message and my call had run. My throat constricted. I was blowing my only chance at salvation. I was completely and utterly screwed. Genji Ma would kill me, if the cops didn't incarcerate my first. "Dad? ...if you are my Dad... and- I know that's not really likely... But- you-"Before my pride could stop me, I was hunched in front of the screen, sobbing like I'd never cried before. Suddenly I felt more alive than I ever had before, and I hated it. Every tactile feeling was just way too real, and I didn't want to have any part of living any more. But my time was running out, and I wiped furiously at my eyes. "Please- Please, I really, really, really need your help... I- I'm in a lot of trouble. I mean, I lot of trouble. And I didn't even do anything! I mean, I was starting to do something... but I never actually DID anything, you know!? I just- God, I need a tissue... I probably look like- like a kid. Like a kid who doesn't know what the fuck she's doing... And I'm sorry I called you... You..." I looked up at the camera I knew was there, and I tried to look as imploring as possible. "...I just really need a Dad right now... I'm sorry..." and then I pushed the button to end the transmission.
Sign up to rate and review this story