Categories > Original > Romance > Dance With Me

Dance With Me

by Tryster 2 reviews

A party, a dance floor, and two people meeting again years later after a friendship that had begun to be more was broken against their wishes. M/F

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-12-17 - Updated: 2006-12-17 - 1867 words - Complete

1Moving

Dance With Me

By I. B. Tryster

Another old story. This is still one of my favorite stories, though.



+++



The party had been going on for several hours now. People were still talking and drinking and eating foodstuffs from the table at one end of the room. The DJ was picking out a new CD to play. So far it had all been quiet dance music, though no one was dancing on the large hardwood floor in the center of the room.

All in all, thought Katie Anderson, a very boring party. She had been invited by a friend of a friend, and had promptly been abandoned when she walked in the door. She didn't know anyone in this place, and didn't even know what the party was for.

Tucking a strand of red-brown hair behind her ear, she started as a deep, quiet voice sounded in her ear. "My goodness. Could this be Katherine Anderson?" There was a soft chuckle. "If I'd known you'd grow up like this, I'd have stuck around."

Katie turned and met a pair of pale blue eyes. Her golden brown ones widened and she leaned back, taking in the man standing beside her. His white blond hair was short and stood up in spikes. His face was long and pointed, but strong. Almost feminine, but he was obviously male from his height and well-built body, which you could see even through his slacks and white button down shirt. His thin lips were curled up in a teasing smile.

Katie's eyes flashed recognition. Of course, he was the only one who ever called her by her full name. "Alik? Alik Thomphson?"

The man grinned broadly. "The one and only!" Alik slid his long body into a chair next to Katie. He stared at her, his eyes running fondly over her features. She had certainly changed from the awkward teenager he had known so long ago. Her long, curly brown hair was pulled back into a messy bun, which was held together by a single elaborate hair stick. A few strands had escaped and fell to frame her Elvin face beautifully. Her body had grown from its awkward long legs and arms into a slender, fit, tall woman. She was draped in a loose but form fitting silver dress, with slits up the legs and an embossed design of flowers on her chest.

His eyes slid back up to meet Katie's golden brown ones and almost chuckled to see a slight hint red on her cheeks. Seems that little Atey-Katie still had a crush on him. Alik felt a swell of masculine pride.

Katie saw a little smirk grow on Alik's face. "I know what your thinking."

"Really? What?" the smirk grew.

Katie laughed shortly. "You think I still have a crush on you, huh?"

Alik threw back his head and laughed loudly. Katie flushed as she saw a couple of people turn to look at them. Her hand flashed out and grabbed the dark blue tie, which was hanging loosely from the laughing man's neck. She yanked it, bringing Alik's head down sharply so their faces were inches from each other. "Do you still have to be so loud about everything?" she hissed. "Why not announce it to the whole world?"

"So you do still have a crush on me?" Alik said, a teasing look on his face, but a hopeful tone in his voice.

"So what if I do?" she released her grip on his tie and leaned on her elbows, staring blankly at the other people. "We tried that once, and we both agreed that it wasn't working. We're still friends now, isn't that enough?"

"You mean despite the fact that one of the main reasons why we stopped was because I was moving away?" Alik said seriously.

Katie's eyes flickered towards him, then settled on the dance floor. She didn't answer.

"Katherine..." Alik leaned forward so their elbows were touching. "Do you remember how we used to go dancing? We would always dance however we wanted, no matter the tune?"

Katie smiled. "Yeah, we got kicked out of more than one dance hall for that." She said softly. Then she laughed. "I remember you would always try to steal a kiss from me at the end of each dance."

"'Try'? If my memory serves me right, I think I actually succeeded a couple of times." The man said indignantly.

Katie laughed again. "Why are you bringing this up?"

Alik grinned. He took Katie's hand and stood up. A look of understanding flashed across her face.

"Wait! You don't mean . . . ? Not here!" Alik paid her no heed as he dragged her across the room to stand in the middle of the dance floor. Katie was blushing to the roots of her hair. "Alik! Everyone is watching us!" she hissed.

"Good." He said, standing still as he waited for the next song to come on. "Now you wont back out." He flashed her a smile and took one of her hands, placed it on his shoulder, took her other hand in his and wrapped an arm around her slim waist. As he pulled their bodies closer, Alik felt his breath hitch in his throat. '/What is this feeling/?'

The song started, and Katie finally began to smile. This was one of her favorite songs. As Alik began to sway, leading her body into motion, she mentally sang along with the words.



\\ Thunder's up and the real live wires are talking
Set me straight as the rain falls on New Orleans
Silver bells ring for treaties made by starlight
For Southern girls and their faces lit by fire-flies //




Alik began to do more complicated steps. Katie followed them all flawlessly. Somewhere in the back of her head, she knew that everyone was now watching them. But she found she didn't care.



\\ And through the gutters there will be water
Running wilder than the sea and as the rain comes down
A thousand circles fade like you and me
They call us lovers because our bony legs are tied
Once more to seed, but there ain't nothing I won't risk
To set this bird of love fly free //




Katie laughed as Alik twirled her around. Everything was a swirl of colors, but the tall man stood out sharper than everything. Her gaze was fixed on him. 'What is this feeling?'



\\ Shake your hair out and come and dance with me
We are lonely with no good need to be
Where the river grows wide to kiss the sea
Floods the delta and lovers' eyes can see //




Alik pulled Katie back to him and for a moment just swayed with her close. He closed his eyes and gave into the urge to nuzzle his face into her neck. 'This feels so good. So right. Had it always felt like this?'



\\ Tonight is hot and there's no wind from the ocean
I hear the drums as they bang across the water
Voodoo bells ring for treaties made by starlight
Forgotten gold and greed and fear at midnight //




'It's been so long. Why did we stop, if it felt this good?' Katie was twirled again, her thoughts running wild.



\\ And through the gutters there will be water
Running wilder than the sea and as the rain comes down
A thousand circles fade like you and me
They call us lovers because our bony legs are tied
Once more to seed, but there ain't nothing I won't risk
To set this bird of love fly free //



'Is this why he wanted to dance with me? To show me how it felt like? To remind me?'

\\ Shake your hair out and come and dance with me
We are lonely with no good need to be
Where the river grows wide to kiss the sea
Floods the delta and lovers' eyes can see //




'Is this was love feels like?' they thought.



\\ Do you remember how we held each other tight in sorrow
Does it haunt you still? //




Alik remembered the nights when he moved away. How he would long to feel someone next to him.


\\ And in a single raindrop I can see all our tomorrows
Baby, can't you too? //




Katie looked into Alik's eyes and saw that look that he seemed to reserve for her. A look filled with . . . .



\\ Shake your hair out and come and dance with me
We are lonely with no good need to be
Where the river grows wide to kiss the sea
Floods the delta and lovers' eyes can see //




'I think I love him.' Katie thought in surprise. A smile blossomed over her face. 'No, I do love him.'

Alik saw the smile and his heart leapt. 'Is this love? Do I love her?' even as he thought it, he knew the answer. He smiled widely. 'Yes. Yes I do. I do love her.'



\\ Shake your hair out and come and dance with me
We are lonely with no good need to be
Where the river grows wide to kiss the sea
Floods the delta and lovers' eyes can see //




Katie suddenly found herself dipped low as the song ended. Her hair came loose of its bun and a cascade of auburn hair fell to the floor. She and Alik were panting, but both had huge smiles on their faces as they stared at each other They vaguely heard wild clapping and whistling from the crowd around them.

Alik's smile suddenly turned into a mischievous grin. Katie knew what he was thinking and gave him a look that said, "Go one, I dare you."

And Alik did. He leaned down slowly and placed a soft, loving kiss on Katie's waiting lips. He was about to pull back when Katie's arms came up and wrapped around his neck, pulling the surprised man back for another, longer kiss.

The clapping had increased and was now accompanied by wolf whistles and catcalls when Alik finally pulled Katie up from the dip. She left her arms around his neck and snuggled into the man's embrace. A new song came on and other couples were finally coming onto the dance floor, while Katie and Alik were content to just sway slowly around in circles and enjoy the others' company.

"So," Alik said, breaking the silence and looking down. "Does this mean we're together again?"

"Hmmm. . . " Katie pretended to mull it over, looking up at Alik with slightly hooded eyes and a smile. "Yes, I think so." Then she laughed and hugged him tighter. "And this time, I'm not letting go for a very, long time."

A few people turned to look at the tall, blond man threw back his head and laughed again, although this time, the laugh was one of pure joy.



THE END



+++



Disclaimer- I don't own 'Delta Rain' (the song) by William Topely, but darn, I love it ^__^

One of my first romances actually finished. It's old, and badly written, but I still love it. Please review and tell me what you think! No critical comments, though; it is an older story and my writing style has improved since then, or so I like to think. Grammar and spelling notifications are great, though. Thanks!
Sign up to rate and review this story