Categories > Books > Harry Potter

The Last Night

by aniraangel 0 reviews

The last night of Alice and Frank Longbottom's sanity Alice begins a letter to her son.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-12-18 - Updated: 2006-12-18 - 931 words - Complete

0Unrated
Alice Longbottom smiled down at Neville; he was asleep in her arms curled up against her breast. She was humming softly the same lullaby her mother had sung to her, "Brahms Lullaby.". Without really thinking about it, the words flowed softly from her lips, 'Sleepy head, close your eyes, mother's right here beside you. I'll protect you from harm, you will wake in my arms. Guardian angels are near, so sleep on, with no fear.' once she was sure he was asleep she laid him gently in his cradle smiling softly at him and she turned away from him.


Alice blew out the candles and walked out of the room, leaving the door ajar. Frank was waiting for her outside and she smiled, kissing his lips softly. 'Hey there,' she said softly.

'You look tired,' he said brushing a loose strand of hair out of her eyes.

'I haven't slept since last night. That happens,' she said laughing softly.

'Go to bed, I'll make sure Neville is okay,' Frank told her, wrapping her into an embrace which she snuggled into.

'Mmnn... in a little bit perhaps, love. I'll be in the study,' Alice said kissing his lips softly and turning, going down the stairs to the first floor and the study.

-

To my dearest Neville,

If you are reading this it is because of something I couldn't control. Whatever happens to me, I want you to know that your father and I loved you, that we wanted you to be safe and wanted you more then anything in my life. If you get this, it is because I am no longer able to be a part of your life, and I hope that you never lay eyes on these words. Should that come to pass, I thought you might like to know about your mother.

I was born on the 23rd of October in 1959. Mum called me Alice Elizabeth and was very proud of me just like Dad, much like your father and I are proud of you. My childhood was quiet, mostly. Occasionally your grandmother, my mother, Annie took me to tea parties and balls. The Black family, regardless of their sanity, are very good at parties. I met a little boy, my age at those parties and his name is Sirius Black. Now you mustn't worry, but he was sent to prison and I'm not entirely sure he was guilty. You see, Sirius was a friend of mine in Hogwarts, a Gryffindor from a long line of Slytherins. He a foolish boy, and handsome, I'll admit, and he rarely was horrid or wicked like his eldest cousin, Bellatrix Black - her last name is Lestrange now though; she married a French pureblood in 1970 named Rodolphus Lestrange. They are wicked people, but part of it I don't think is their fault, they know no better, but not all Slytherins are evil. Back to Sirius. He was charged for something no Wizard of Witch in our time could account for, casting a spell that killed twelve muggles, and so he was sent to Azkaban without a trial for as long as he shall live, so you won't need to worry about him. Anyway, at the parties I met a lot of people, purebloods, but my parents always told me the tripe the said about purebloods being better isn't true, and I found out, and I found out it's not, so don't let them fool you. You are always my son, and that make makes you special, because you are you.

There was a Dark Wizard. Dumbledore once told me he was called Tom Riddle a long time ago, but he now calls himself Voldemort. There is something special about him that attracts people like Bellatrix and Rodolphus and most of the old fashioned purebloods in general. That would be alright, if Voldemort hadn't turned out as he did. Interesting he may have been, but he was a murderer with henchmen he called Death Eaters to do his dirty work for him. I think the muggles have something like this called 'The Mafia' but I could be wrong, I never was that great at muggle studies. Now, I know I said I would tell you about myself, but this is very much a part of me, sadly. Not only because I'm a pureblood or because I know these people who turned into horrible criminals, but because I am an auror: that's a dark wizard hunter, if you don't know that. Voldemort was defeated at the cost of James and Lily Potter, two dear friends of mine. We also went to Hogwarts together, James was Sirius' best friend - we had a blast (sometimes literally). And...

Oh. Your Father is at the door. I've got to go, there's trouble in Scotland. I love you, so does your Dad. Never forget that.

Deepest love,

Mum.

December 18th, 1982.

-

'Alice, Mad-Eye just-'

'His name's not Mad-Eye,' Alice said turning around. 'What's wrong, love?'

'We're needed, The Lestrange's and Co. are causing trouble,' Frank replied sighing.

'Oh. I'll be there in a moment,' Alice said turning around and scribing something on the parchment in front of her before dropping her quill and picking up her wand.

'Neville?' she asked, meeting her husband at the top of the stairs.

'Mums already here, he'll be safe.'

'Only because she could scare the Dark Lord into submission,' Alice grinned softly, running into the nursery and kissing him softly. 'Love you darling.' she whispered, smiling at Frank's mother and quickly disappearing down the stairs and out the front door with her husband.

Fin.
Sign up to rate and review this story