Categories > Anime/Manga > Ouran High School Host Club > Dressed

Part One

by evil_whimsey 1 review

"...however you looked at it, Fujioka Haruhi was not that kind of princess." Sequel to "King, Queen, Knave".

Category: Ouran High School Host Club - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-12-18 - Updated: 2006-12-18 - 1186 words

1Moving
Dressed
Part One




...I remember yes,
in my peach party dress,
No one dared
no one cared to tell me
where the pretty girls are...
--Tori Amos



"Haru-hiii," wheedled Hikaru. "Come out, already. We're late for the party."

From behind the door came the muffled response, "I'm not coming out in this."

"She sounds pretty final," Kaoru murmured. "Maybe we should give this one up."

Hikaru cast a scornful look at his brother. "What else will you wear?" he called to the door. "Your uniform is out here. Might as well try the dress on, at least, eh?"

There was a pause, and the door cracked open just wide enough for the mass of green silk and ribbon to be ejected out and onto the floor. At the end of a pale bare arm, a dainty hand was extended, palm up.

"Give me my uniform."
"Nope," said Hikaru.
"Give me my uniform, or I'm never talking to you again." She sounded deadly serious too, and this worried Kaoru.

"Hikaru!" he hissed nervously. "Don't you think we're taking this too far?" But if anything, Hikaru only looked more determined.

"Have it your way," he announced. "I'll just go tell Hunny-senpai and Mori-senpai you don't want to come to their party."
"Tell them whatever you want!" she cried, snatching her arm back and slamming the door. "I don't care!"

"Oh hell," said Kaoru.


******


The colored lanterns strung above the courtyard bobbed gently in the evening breeze. Bathed in their glow, the guests mingled, laughed, and waltzed to the music of a nearby string quartet. There were long tables off to one side, covered in crisp white linen and arrayed with silver platters of exquisite /hors d'oeuvres/, and a fountain close by poured out sparkling pomegranate punch.

"Isn't this beautiful!" a Senior girl remarked to her friend. "And how sweet of the Host Club, to throw us a graduation party."
"I hear it's their last party with Mitsukuni-san and Takashi-san. It seems a little sad, in a way, doesn't it?" Both girls sighed wistfully, gazing at the festive table laden with cakes and ices, where Hunny and Mori held the place of honor.

"But you mustn't be sad, Princesses." Suoh Tamaki glided into view, in his immaculately tailored tuxedo, offering crystal flutes of punch for each girl. "We're here to drink to the future of our friends, and the promise of new beginnings for everyone."

"Oh, Tamaki-kun," said one of the girls. "We're going to miss you next year."
Gently, Tamaki caught her hand and brought it to his lips. "Only keep me in your heart, dear Lady, as I shall keep you in mine. We'll never be separated, that way."
"Ohhhh!" Both girls swooned in chorus.

"Ehh, Tono?" came a voice at Tamaki's elbow.
"Yes Kaoru?" he answered, giving the intruder a sidelong look.
"Can I speak with you a moment? Privately?"


******


Across the courtyard, Kyouya was in conversation with the school Chairman, Suoh Yuzuru.

"I must congratulate you on this elegant gathering," the man commented, then chuckled. "You know, some of the School Board were uncertain about a Host Club providing suitable entertainment for our graduates. I had to assure them of the Club's excellent reputation."

"We appreciate your endorsement, Mr. Chairman," said Kyouya. "It's an honor to entertain this year's Seniors, for their final High School event."
"And it's good for Haninozuka-san and Morinozuka-san too, neh?" the Chairman pointed out. "This way, they can celebrate with their peers, and their friends from the Club."

"Yes, of course," Kyouya agreed. Glancing with the Chairman toward Hunny and Mori's table, his eye searched the party for anything else which might require his attention. Something did stand out to him, though it wasn't immediately clear whether it was urgent.

Where is the rest of the Host Club? he wondered. Apparently, so did Chairman Suoh.

"I don't believe I've seen your First-Year members," he said. "The Hitachiin brothers, and Fujioka?" The man didn't mention his son. Perhaps he hadn't noticed Tamaki was missing as well. Hadn't he been over by the punch fountain, moments ago?

"Kaoru and Hikaru volunteered to oversee catering for the event," he explained. "They may be still involved with those duties at present."
"It's commendable of them," said the Chairman. "Though it seems a shame they won't enjoy the party with their friends."

"You're right, Mr. Chairman. I should see whether they require any assistance." Kyouya had certain suspicions about those absent, but it was best if he kept them to himself. "I'm sorry, O-sama. Please excuse me?"


******

"What do you mean, she won't come out?" Tamaki asked, cornering Kaoru near the hedge maze, well off from the party.
"I told Hikaru to forget about the dress, but he wouldn't. And now she refuses to talk to either of us!"

"Dress?" Tamaki cocked his head in confusion. "I thought we had a tuxedo made for her."
"Welllll, sure," Kaoru said evasively. "We just thought we'd try a surprise. Here," pulling a catalogue clipping from his pocket, and unfolding it for Tamaki. "Like this."

Tamaki stared at the photo of the dress, his eyes going wide. "That's....that's...."
"Nice, isn't it?" Kaoru provided, with only a hint of smugness.
"Amazing," Tamaki breathed.

"Only she refuses to wear it. Flat out. Maybe final Exams got to her; I don't know, but I've never seen her like--"
He was interrupted by the distinctive ring of a mobile phone. Tamaki answered.

"Yes, Mother?"

******

"Tamaki, do you realize there's a party going on in the courtyard? One which we are hosting?"
"Yes, of course--"
"And that we have more than fifty guests, wondering at the current moment, where the rest of the Host Club is?"
"Sure, I was just there. I only stepped away to speak with....someone."

"Tamaki, where is Hitachiin Kaoru?"
"Ah, he's with me."
"And Hitachiin Hikaru?"
"We were just getting to that."

"I see. Do you, by any chance, know Haruhi's whereabouts?"
"She's still in the Third Music room. Having a problem with--er--her wardrobe, I think."

Kyouya sighed. "Please don't tell me they tried to make her wear that dress."
"What? How did you know about the dress? No one told me--"
"Tamaki."
"--first I've heard about--"
"Tamaki."
"--and it's certainly exquisite, but--"
"Dad!" Kyouya barked into the phone, silencing Tamaki.

"Yeah?"
"Would you please escort both Hitachiin brothers back to the party, before the Chairman and everyone else decides we've all abandoned it?"
"But what about our daughter? Kaoru says she won't leave the changing room."
"Please, Tamaki. Take Kaoru, Hikaru, and yourself to the courtyard. I will speak to Haruhi."
"But why can't I go with you?"

"You have seen the dress, correct?"
"Kaoru showed me a photo. But what does that have to do with anything?"
"Let's just say I doubt you'll be bargaining from a position of strength in the matter. Go attend the party now. I'll have Haruhi down shortly."

"Oh look, here's Hikaru. Should I ask him--"
"Just take him with you, and keep your eye on him. I'll have a word with both of them later. Good-bye Tamaki."


******
Sign up to rate and review this story