Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Have a Little Time

by nanthimus 2 reviews

Visits, gifts, and unexpected revelations. It was a typical Thursday. Aang/Katara, Sokka/Toph

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Aang, Katara, Sokka, Other - Published: 2006-12-21 - Updated: 2006-12-21 - 1622 words - Complete

1Funny
Have a Little Time
Pairings: Aang/Katara, Sokka/Toph
Rating: PG
Word Count: 1600
Disclaimer: Don't own, not making money.



It was something they'd started a couple of years after the war ended. Every Thursday, when the sun hit it's peak, Katara, Aang, Sokka, and Toph would get together, talk about old and new times, and drink tea.

"Aang, they're going to be here in a few minutes!" Aang looked up from the small trinket he was working on.

"I'm coming!" he said, fumbling with the small bits of shells, flowers, and strings. Brow furrowed and tongue sticking out in concentration, Aang applied the last bit of shining, sparkling rock.

"There!" he said with a grin, holding out the necklace. "I think she'll like it."

He and Katara had traveled together long after Sokka and Toph had left them: Toph left because she wanted to reconcile with her parents ("Also, there's going be a new tournament near the house," she said with a sharp grin) while Sokka left because he wanted to study at a university ("Don't look so surprised," he'd said when he first told them. "I happen to be a very scientific guy.").

And so it was just Aang and Katara. Aang wasn't about to complain; he loved Toph and Sokka and missed them, but it was nice to spend some time alone with Katara.

He blushed pink at that thought. It sure is, he thought, a rather goofy smile spreading on his face.

"Aang, c'mon!" Aang winced at the impatient tone in Katara's voice and floated to his feet.

"Okay, I'm coming!" he said, walking out to the small porch. They'd bought this small house in the middle of nowhere from an elderly lady who had no interest in taking care of it. Aang and Katara rarely spent time in it; they were way too busy traveling through the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation. Still, it was nice to have a place to come home too. Even if his home was actually wherever Katara was at.

At the porch, Katara had set up a table with four sitting pads around it. She looked up when Aang walked out, blue eyes warming. "What took you so long?" she asked when he walked over to her. Over the past years, Aang had shot upwards and now stood at least six inches taller than her.

He smiled down at her. "Close your eyes," he said, the necklace hidden between his hands. "I've got something for you."

Katara raised her eyebrows but closed her eyes, lips stretching into a smile. "What is it?" she said and Aang took her left hand. He placed the necklace in her hand gently.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now," he said, voice trembling with excitement. He'd spent a very long time working on the present; much longer than he had on the last necklace he'd given her.

Katara opened her eyes and blinked before looking down at her hand. "Oh, Aang," she breathed, bringing the necklace closer to her face to inspect it.

Tiny blue and pink shells intertwined around pale rocks. Four strings were braided together, both for decoration and to strengthen it.

Katara didn't say anything more for a few moments and Aang raised his eyebrows. "Do you like it?" he asked, both impatient and hopeful.

Katara bowed her head and Aang almost apologized -/what did I do?!/- before she threw her arms around his shoulders.

"It's beautiful," she whispered in his ear. "I love it." She drew back and held it out to him. "Put it on me?"

Aang grinned and took it from her. "Sure." He looped it around her neck and clasped it in the back. Drawing back, he looked at it. It hung more loosely than the necklace her mother gave her, and the two necklaces complemented each other.

Katara looked down at it, touching the bits of shell, and looked back at Aang. "It's wonderful," she said again, framing his face with her hands.

Aang grinned, hands coming up to touched the nape of her neck. "I thought so too," he said, leaning down to ghost his lips across her cheek before coming back and kissing her. It quickly got heated and Aang embraced her, hands strong at the small of her back. Katara wrapped her arms around him, fingers massaging his shoulders.

A cleared throat distracted them and Katara and Aang looked over at the doorway. Toph stood there, leaning against the frame, arms crossed over her chest.

"Could you two maybe not make out over the table?" she said, and Aang blushed bright red.

"How could you tell?!" he asked, loosening his grip on Katara. Toph snorted and stepped forward.

"Your heart rates are way too fast and tea just isn't that interesting," she said, raising her eyebrows before pointing at the table. "I don't want to drink there anymore."

"Hey!" Katara said, putting her hands on her hips. "We didn't do anything on that table!"

A footstep behind Toph drew their attention and a tall, gangly young man stepped into sight. "Who did what on the table?" Sokka said, pushing his small glasses up his nose with one long, thin finger.

"Sokka!" Katara said, walking to him and hugging him. He curled one arm over her shoulders and squeezed gently. "It's so good to see you," she said, smiling up at him.

"Aang and Katara were making out on the table," Toph said, raising an eyebrow, putting her hands on her hips.

A huge grin spread on Sokka's lips and he grinned at Aang. "Oh really?" he said, raising his eyebrows suggestively. Katara slapped him on the shoulder and walked back over to Aang.

"You two are impossible!" Katara said, though her face was bright red. "We weren't doing anything!"

"Not on the table, anyway. We were standing beside it," Aang pointed out and smiled sheepishly when Katara swung her glare onto him. "Ahahaha...ha. Uhm, let's sit!" he suggested, motioning. "C'mon, c'mon, I want to hear what you guys have been up to!"

They settled around the low seated table, Katara and Aang on one side and Toph and Sokka on the other. "Well, I've been doing well," Toph said blandly, gulping her tea down. "I've won every tournament that I've fought in so far. Of course," she added.

Sokka grinned. "Like there was any doubt," he said. "University has been great! I've learned so much stuff about politics and the sciences. I'm at the top of my class," he bragged. "And did you guys know that chicks really dig these little glasses?" He plucked them off his nose and admired them.

"Oh really?" Toph said, and there was a distinctly dangerous tone to her voice.

"Ah, but I don't do anything!" Sokka said, holding up his hands. "Really, they flirt with me and I just point at them and say 'no.'" He winced when Toph raised an eyebrow.

Katara and Aang shared a glanced. "Why would that matter?" she asked and Sokka blinked, before taking a deep breath.

"Me and Toph are together," he said, swinging a long arm over Toph's slender shoulders. "We've kind of been together for a couple of weeks but we didn't really know how to tell you."

Katara gasped and choked on her tea. "Really?!" she said, eyes so wide it looked painful.

Aang grinned. "Alright, Sokka!" he said. Toph tilted her head to one side and slapped the ground. A pillar jumped up directly behind Aang. "Ah, and Toph," he amended, glancing back at the earth.

"Why wouldn't you guys tell us?" Katara asked, holding her teacup but not taking a sip. "Surely you didn't think we would have a problem with it?"

Sokka opened his mouth to say something but Toph interrupted him. "Well, Meathead here thought that you two would have a problem with the whole age difference thing and that Aang would kill him to defend my honor. Or something," she said, pouring herself another cup of tea and sipping it. "I told him that I wouldn't let you kill him but he wouldn't listen to me."

"Heeey," Sokka said, offended. "Don't call me that!"

"But it's so accurate!" Toph said. Sokka scowled and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Well, it's nice to see this relationship hasn't changed you two at all," Katara said, laughing behind her hand.

Toph snorted. "Yeah, well. Anyway, now they know," she said to Sokka. "So you don't have to worry about it anymore." She raised her eyebrows. "Which is a shame, since you're adorably idiotic when you worry."

"Now that's en...wait." Sokka peered at her. "Did you just call me 'adorable'?" he said, eyebrows raised. He grinned when he saw Toph's cheeks reddened and he crowed. "Ah ha! A compliment! You guys heard that, right?" He glanced at Katara and Aang. "She complimented me!"

"Sounded like one to me," Aang said, resting his head on his hand.

"No," Toph protested. "It wasn't. It was an insult, or did you not hear the last part of it. Idiotic."

"Nope, sorry," Sokka said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and kissing her on the cheek. "No take backs." Katara laughed at that, shaking her head.

Toph scowled, clearly embarrassed and verging on angry and Sokka grinned at her.

/He's probably digging a hole he won't be able to get out of/, Aang thought, looking at the two of them. A small touch at his hand caught his attention and he looked over at Katara. She smiled at him and he wrapped his hand around hers, grinning. She winked at him and looked over at Toph and Sokka.

"So," she said, interrupting Sokka and Toph and their bickering. "Who's hungry?"


END
Sign up to rate and review this story