Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > The Prince of Snows

Book 1: Princess Tohru...Chapter 9

by Moira 1 review

Tohru the witch

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Characters: Arisa, Hatsuharu, Momiji, Shigure, Tohru - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-08-07 - Updated: 2005-08-08 - 3424 words

1Exciting
Tohru opened her eyes and immediately closed them again. Yaori, she hurt. Her head was throbbing, and her ribs felt as if she'd tried to cram herself into a pickle jar. She bit her lip but couldn't stop a small moan from escaping.

A shadow moved over her, and a voice spoke. "Lie still, Tohru. You're safe."

Her eyes flew open, and she gazed up at the familiar face topped with spiky white and black hair. Calm gray eyes smiled back. "Hatsuharu-san!" She sat up then winced at the ache in her ribs. "Ite! I guess I sat up too qui-Hatsuharu-san, you're hurt!"

Haru grasped her shoulders to keep her from jumping up to find something to patch up the cut on his cheek. "It's nothing." When she started to protest, he pressed a finger on her lips. "I'm all right. It's you I'm worried about. That man practically squashed you flat."

"Hatsuharu-san-" She trailed off, then broke into a wobbly grin. "I'm so glad you're safe," she cried, throwing her arms around his neck. "What happened to you? Where've you been? How did you know where to find us?" She pulled away and noticed their surroundings for the first time. They were sitting on a patch of straw covered by a tattered sack. The light from a small fire cast a yellow-orange glow upon the grimy, mold-covered walls and rotting shelves of what looked like an abandoned kitchen. Her cloak and Haru's coat were spread on the floor to dry, while a dented watering can caught the rain drops dripping down from the leaky roof.

"Don't worry," Haru said. "We're safe here for the moment."

She nodded, the action setting her head to pounding, then she suddenly remembered something. "The girl in black! She didn't get hurt, did she?" Her shoulders slumped when she recalled that Uo-chan couldn't see her. Well, her friend couldn't, but the men the girl had... zapped? struck down? cursed?... certainly had. "Hatsuharu-san, you saw her, didn't you?"

"Yes," he said, surprising her somewhat.

"Is she all right?"

He shrugged. "Who knows? She disappeared when the guards came."

"Oh." Mother, please let her be all right, /she prayed/. She was very strange, but she /did try to help me/. Out of habit, she reached up to clasp her charm necklace, and went pale when her fingers encountered only bare skin. "My necklace! It's gone!"

She hunted frantically through the makeshift matting, and Haru had to grab her arm to stop her. "Calm down, Tohru. I have it." He pulled the necklace out from his pocket and dropped it in her hand. Tohru stared at it, her eyes shuttered. "The cord broke and it was impossible to fix it, so I used one of my own chains. Luckily, none of the charms were missing. There's thirteen of them, right?" When she said nothing, he peered into her face. "Tohru?"

She was crying silently. Haru stared at her. "Tohru? Look, I'm sorry I messed with your necklace. I'll find another cord, and-"

"No. No, don't." She took a deep breath and smiled. "It's beautiful. I love the way it looks now. Thank you for fixing it." She touched the little animal charms, feeling as if her heart was breaking. Just like last time/, she thought wretchedly. /Oh Mother, what have I done?

Haru's normally impassive face was looking distinctly confused. "Why are you crying then?"

She wiped at her tears and explained. "Mother gave this to me. Back then, it was a necklace and a bracelet. I'd always been fascinated by the charms. See? There were twelve animals on the bracelet-the mouse, the ox, the tiger, the rabbit, the dragon, the snake, the horse, the sheep, the monkey, the rooster, the dog and the pig." She pointed out the animals one by one. "But the charm I loved best was the cat on the necklace. I wondered why the cat had to stay apart from the other animals, but Mother said that was how it had to be until it was time for the cat to join the twelve. One day, I was working at the café, and Sato-san told me to buy more sugar. Clumsy me, I didn't see the carriage, and when I jumped aside I hit this signpost...and the bracelet broke. The next minute, Sato-san came running to me saying something about an accident." Her voice grew softer until it was barely audible. "That was the day Mother died. I tried to fix the bracelet, but the cord was completely worn through, so I knotted the cat in its own circle to keep it apart from the others, then I strung the twelve along with it. It seemed right at the time, but now..."

She stared bemusedly at the necklace. The cat was still in the middle, but this time there was no knot separating it from the others. All thirteen charms lay side by side in a circle of silver. "I know it's silly, but I like to think the charms are sort of, well, an omen," she said with a small, self-conscious laugh. "Mother said they were carved from Lady Yaori's sacred stone, and I always believed they had some sort of power. The day the bracelet broke, the day Mother died-my life changed that day. And now..."

And now her necklace had broken again. The last time it happened, Tohru had lost the person who meant the world to her. Was she going to lose someone she loved again? Oh please, Mother, let me be wrong. Let this be just a silly, childish notion I have. I don't want to lose anyone else.

Silently, Haru took the necklace then pushed her hair aside to fasten it around her neck. "Hatsuharu-san?" she said wonderingly.

His hands closed around hers. "It'll be all right," he said, the steel unmistakable in his voice. "We won't let anything or anyone hurt you, Tohru. The honor of the Sohma stands behind this."

Slowly, she smiled, both surprised and touched by his oddly formal-sounding words. "Thank you, Hatsuharu-san. You've all been so kind. I'm nothing but a burden, and now I've even gotten you in trouble." She thought of Shigure and quailed at the idea of having to face him. This was all her fault. If Shigure decided to toss her out on her ear, it would only be what she deserved. "I'm so sorry for everything," she whispered. "Please, can we go home? I want to apologize to Shigure-san and Momiji-kun and Uo-chan. They must be so angry with me."

He closed his eyes for a moment. "I don't think we can do that."

"What do you mean?"

"We can't go out just yet. The guards are still looking for us."

She nodded slowly. "Yes, the guards who came to help us."

"They didn't come to help us, Tohru," he said bluntly. "They came to arrest us."

Her body turned to ice. "A-arrest us?" she echoed, certain she'd heard him wrong. "Why would they do that? Those men chased us, and if it weren't for you and the girl in black-" She gasped, remembering the incident at the gate. She'd tried to go outside without her pass, and the girl had done.../something/ to the gatekeeper. Of course they'd think it was her. She swallowed around the knot of fear lodged in her throat. Oh Yaori, was she going to be thrown into prison now? And Haru, too, because he'd been gallant enough to help her?

She didn't realize that she'd spoken out loud until Haru sighed. "It's a bit worse than that."

"W-what could possibly be worse than that?"

"We've been-" He stopped and cocked his head. "They're here. It took them long enough."

Tohru listened, but there was nothing but the steady plop-plop of the water dripping into the can. She opened her mouth to speak, and then she heard it, the sound of footsteps and the low murmur of voices. Familiar voices. Panic sent her to her feet. She wanted to apologize, didn't she? Well, here was her chance. And just to spice things up, she was going to have to tell them that she and Haru were now fugitives from the law as well. An image of her broken necklace danced in her head, and she prayed for strength.

The footsteps stopped and a door creaked opened. She braced herself to meet their collective outrage, and was nearly flung backward by a golden-haired projectile. Her bruised ribs screamed in protest, but she bit back a yelp of pain and wrapped her arms around the warm body anyway.

Thankfully, Haru rescued her a moment later. "Let her go, Momiji, you're hurting her."

Momiji released his death-grip around her, and his golden eyes shone with so much concern that she wanted to weep. "Tohru, Tohru, are you all right?"

"Yes, I-mmf!" A pair of arms wound around her head, smothering her. "U-Uo-chan?" she gasped as she came up for air. Even Uo-chan was here?

"Tohru, you poor thing, we were so worried about you!" Arisa cried, giving her one last squeeze. "Are you all right? Did anyone hurt you? What the hell happened to you, anyway?"

"Um, Uo-chan, I-" Shigure came in. Tohru shrank back fearfully, then recovered herself. Better to get it over with. Stepping away from Arisa's and Momiji's embrace, she faced them and bowed. "I'm sorry, all of you. This is all my fault. I got you into so much trouble. I'm so sorry."

Shigure strode toward her, and she closed her eyes, waiting for the blow. When it didn't come, she dared to raise her head a little, and squeaked in surprise when she found herself swept into a warm hug. "Now you've done it, Tohru-kun," he murmured laughingly. "After that scare you gave me, my poor old heart can only be healed by your chocolate cake from now on."

Laughter bubbled up despite herself, and she steeled herself against the burgeoning joy. It wasn't over yet. Screwing her eyes shut, she sucked in a breath and poured out the whole sorry tale.

Silence followed her confession. She stared at her feet, enveloped in a cloud of gloom. Finally, Arisa spoke up. "Well, that explains the guards. They were swarming all over looking for you, or at least a couple who looked like you."

"How did you get past the guards at the gate?" Tohru had to ask.

"I did that!" Momiji chimed in. "They wouldn't let us through at first because they thought I was underage, but when I showed them my gate pass, they became really helpful."

"Hell, yeah." Arisa laughed. "You should've seen the look on their faces when they saw how old he really was. Can't blame them, though. Even I have trouble believing this cute kid's actually as old as Haru-kun." She ruffled his blond hair while the "cute kid" beamed.

"But how did you know where to find us?"

Momiji and Haru exchanged glances, and as one turned toward Shigure, who had fallen silent during the conversation. Sensing the lull, he looked up and Tohru saw the strain in his brown eyes. "You can tell them. It's a little too late to be keeping secrets, especially from Tohru-kun."

Haru's eyes narrowed. "What do you mean it's too late?"

"The game's changed, Ha-kun." Sighing, Shigure turned to Tohru, who was watching them with apprehensive eyes. "You haven't told her yet, have you?" he said to Haru, who shook his head.

"Tell me what?" Tohru asked as strains of alarm began to hum through her.

"Tohru, you're wanted for arrest on a very serious charge, one that's going to be extremely difficult to extricate you from, even for me."

"I know," she said miserably. "I went past the gate keeper without showing my pass, and-"

"It's worse than that," Shigure stated grimly. "You're charged with performing an act of magic and using magic to injure a citizen of Mizaka. That charge carries the penalty of death."

All the blood drained from Tohru's face. "Death," she echoed dully.

"Witnesses saw you and Ha-kun together when you allegedly cast a spell that injured several men. If the guards capture you, you'll be brought to trial before the Council and Ha-kun, as your accomplice, will be imprisoned for life. But you, Tohru Honda, will be publicly executed."

"Executed." She swayed on her feet, Arisa and Momiji moving to catch her. Shigure's words rang endlessly, following her into the darkness. Executed. She was innocent, but she was to be killed. People wanted her dead. In her mind her necklace broke over and over again, the charms slipping away from her numb fingers. How strange. She never imagined it was her own life she stood to lose. And to think that all she wanted was some flour and sugar so she could bake them a cake. Well, it didn't look like she was ever going to get a chance to bake that cake now.

There were voices around her, sharp with anger. Uo-chan and Momiji. Haru. Shigure. They were arguing-over her? She lifted her head. Momiji and Arisa were flanking her, their arms keeping her upright. Haru was standing off to one side, his silvery gaze fixed on a spot on the wall. And Shigure, watching her carefully, as if he were waiting for something to happen. She didn't know what it was he was waiting for, so she shook off the arms around her and stood in front of Haru. The desolation in her eyes kept him silent. "Hatsuharu-san," she whispered, "I'm so sorry."

It isn't just my life I've destroyed. It's Hatsuharu-san's life, too. And Shigure-san's and Momiji-kun's and Uo-chan's. I love them so much, and I've ruined everything.


"I'm so sorry, all of you."

I'm so sorry, Mother.

Live, Tohru.


Warmth filled her, warmth and light and the sweet, heady smell of the wind, the scent of freedom. Her mother stood before her, her red-gold hair shimmering against her white cloak, her sea-blue eyes filled with love. No matter how bad things seem to be, you still have life and you still have love. Believe in that love, Tohru. Live for it.

Mother, I-


Kyouko smiled. The time for sad stories is over. Your Prince of Snows is waiting for you.

"Tohru?" Arisa was shaking her by the shoulders. "Tohru, come on, wake up!"

She opened her eyes. Faces surrounded her, all wearing identical worried expressions, and she blinked in confusion. "What happened?" she asked as she pushed herself up.

"You fainted," Haru explained.

"I did?" Her gaze turned inward. She didn't feel sick, just...different. All she knew was, she wasn't about to give up just yet. "I didn't do it," she announced, surprised at how steady her voice was. "I told you the truth, Shigure-san. I didn't use magic; I've never used magic all my life. And all Hatsuharu-san did was help me. Please, believe me." When he remained silent, she moved closer, her face flushed with emotion. "Please, Shigure-san. Tell me what I have to do. I want Hatsuharu-san to be free, and I-I want to live. I'll do anything. /Please/."

His eyes glinted with surprise, but Tohru refused to back down. Whatever it took to save Haru and stay alive, she would do it. "Don't worry about Ha-kun," he told her. "His father will find a way to get the charges dropped from him, but I doubt even Amano-ojisan's influence will be enough to protect you. There's only one thing you can do, Tohru-kun. You'll have to leave."

The response was instantaneous. "No! Shi-chan, don't send her away!" Momiji cried. "I'm not gonna let a buncha old goats run Tohru out of her own home," snapped Arisa at the same time, stepping in front of Tohru as if to shield her from Shigure. Before he could reply, Haru rushed up and grabbed his older cousin by the shirt. "You cold-hearted bastard," he snarled, eyes flashing silver. "You'd bend over backward to protect the family honor and everything else be damned-"

"And how will going black and beating me up help her?" Shigure interrupted evenly. "Think, Ha-kun. We've spent our lives under the shadow of the curse. There are forces in this city that would jump at the chance to destroy us. A wrong move, and not even our own family would lift a finger to help us. You think once they have you in their clutches they'd let you go so easily? And what about Tohru-kun? You think she hasn't been considered suspect the moment she came to live with us? We could very well have been the ones who put her in danger. How can we protect her here, when just protecting you will take everything we've got?"

"I don't give a damn about the curse. You find a way to save her, and-"

"Please stop!"

They turned to look at Tohru. She lifted her head and gave them a wide, sunny smile, although with a hint of pleading to it. "Please, Hatsuharu-san, all of you, don't fight. Shigure-san's right. I should leave. Until I can prove my innocence, I'd only be a danger to you all. There're some villages far enough away from here where I could find work. You don't have to keep protecting me anymore. I-I'll miss you all, and I'll think of you always, but-but I've also wanted to see what life is like in other places, and now here's my chance. It'll be all right, you'll see. So please, Hatsuharu-san, don't be angry anymore. Please?"

He glowered at her and for a moment she wondered if he was going to turn on her. Haru in his black mode could be rather unpredictable. Instead, he released Shigure with a muttered oath and turned away. She sighed and turned to Shigure. "I'll leave tonight." Ignoring the protests from Momiji and Uo-chan, she continued: "Thank you for everything. You've already done so much for me, but there's still one more thing I ask of you." He nodded. "Promise me, Shigure-san," she said earnestly, "promise me you'll save Hatsuharu-san. He's done nothing wrong. Please don't let them lock him away. That's my only condition."

Brown eyes glittered with relief and savage satisfaction, before Shigure lowered his gaze. Then in an eerily familiar gesture, he lifted her hand and pressed the back of it against his lips. Tohru spluttered, going white then scarlet in a matter of seconds. "A wise man asked me if I believed in destiny," he told her. "After today, I don't think I have much of a choice. I just wish someone had explained all this to me sooner," he added exasperatedly, sounding as if he were talking to someone else.

Tohru was starting to feel lightheaded again. "W-why did you do that?" she croaked.

"I was informed it was the proper thing to do," he said with an odd little grin. "I believe my cousin swore an oath to you, calling on the honor of the Sohma to protect you. Akkan knows how long it's been since those words were last spoken, but the oath now binds us who are of one blood to you for as long as you need us."

"Eh? How did you-?"

"We felt it the moment Haru said the words," Momiji said. He lifted an eyebrow at Haru as if gently reminding him of something, and the other boy frowned and nodded.

"'Felt...it?'"

Shigure grasped her shoulders, turning her to meet his gaze. "Tohru, you have never been nor will ever be a burden to us. You don't have to convince me; I know you're innocent. Yes, you have to leave until this whole mess can be sorted out, but I am not throwing you out and leaving you to fend for yourself," he said, glancing at Arisa meaningfully. "In fact, I can tell you right now that you're not going to any damn village. You, Tohru-kun, are going to Ryuukama."

"Ryuukama?!" Tohru and Arisa both echoed. "The hell? That's almost thirty miles away!" Arisa added furiously. "It's practically on top of a mountain!"

"Why Ryuukama?" Haru said suspiciously. "What aren't you telling us, Sensei?"

"/Maa/, sometimes I wish you didn't know me so well," Shigure joked, before turning to Tohru. "I know this all sounds like some story I cooked up, but you're going to have to trust me, ne?"

She nodded, wide-eyed. "Yes, Shigure-san. I trust you."

He smiled. "Then don't be afraid, Tohru-kun. Believe it or not, this was meant to be."
Sign up to rate and review this story