Categories > TV > CSI: New York > Family Matters

Chapter 2

by KaviLeighanna 0 reviews

The tangled web ensnares the family of Lindsay

Category: CSI: New York - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-01-05 - Updated: 2007-01-05 - 1100 words

0Unrated
"Um... last night, before I went out "Um... last night, before I went out."

"Where did you go?" Danny asked.

"She came to my apartment," Lindsay spoke up, her eyes widening at the implications. "Mac's going to kill me."

"What time did you leave?"

Emily looked worried for a minute. "Um... my plans with Aunt Linds were for 4, but she was still working..."

"I picked her up after shift," Lindsay volunteered. "It was probably about 5:30 when I picked her up here."

Danny hated this. "When did you get back?"

"This morning. Aunt Lindsay got called into the lab and she brought me back here on the way," Emily answered. "I assumed Lynn would be back. I mean, she's not really the type of girl to stay out partying all night and I got kind of freaked."

"Did you know where she was going?"

Emily nodded, tears filling her vision. "Her sister's, I think. She and her boyfriend had been talking about doing it for a while."

"Lynn had a boyfriend?" Danny asked, his voice polite interest.

"Ryan... Ryan something."

"No last name?"

"I can't remember one. He comes over sometimes, but I don't usually stick around."

"You leave home often?"

"I leave the room. Lynn and I are in different programs so we don't usually spend a lot of time together. When she has Ryan over I like to give them privacy. I have a friend down the hall I usually go stay with."

Danny nodded, as Lindsay stood, inspecting the pictures around one half of the room. He kept a corner of his eye on her, unsure of the result of the involvement of her niece on her.

The pictures were new to Lindsay. She'd never been in Emily's room before. "These are Lynn's?"

Emily nodded. "She fought with her sister all the time, but she didn't like it. That was half of the reason I spent time away from here. She fought with her sister constantly, and I hated it... she hated it."

"And she never did anything about it?" That came from Lindsay.

"She tried. I've told you a hundred times, Aunt Linds."

Lindsay nodded absently. "This Ryan?"

Emily nodded.

Danny moved over, his head over her shoulder. "Looks like our male DB," he whispered in her ear.

Lindsay closed her eyes as his breath caressed her ear. She may have rejected him a few months ago, it didn't stop her body from responding to him, nor did it curb her real feelings. "We'll take them back with us," she agreed, her voice much softer than she'd meant it to be.

"Thanks, Miss Reichle. We're going to take a few of Lynn's things so we can get a better idea of her," Danny said, snapping on a pair of gloves.

"Sure," Emily said with a nod.

A look passed between Lindsay and Danny before Lindsay reached a hand out to her niece. "Come on. We'll go sit down in the lounge."

"Don't... don't I have to be here? To watch him?"

"No sweetheart. You don't have to."

Emily nodded and she and Lindsay left the room.

Mac walked through the halls with a purpose, his target sitting calmly in her office doing paperwork for another case. She'd wanted to go through the photo box, wanted to go over all of the other pictures Danny had brought back from Lynn and Emily's residence room.

"How could you do this?" he stormed into the office.

"I didn't know, Mac."

"She's your niece!"

Lindsay jumped as he slammed his fist on her desk. She took a deep breath, trying to keep herself calm. "I haven't touched any evidence since I found out, ask Danny."

"You didn't come to me."

"Damnit, I didn't know! I haven't touched evidence, Mac, what else do you want from me?" Emotionally, she was at the end of her rope as it was. She was tired, she was worried and now she had Mac breathing down her neck. "This paperwork is for a different case, Hawkes and Danny are probably processing through the photo box I wanted to look through, and I didn't touch anything in that residence room besides the door and my niece."

"Why didn't you come to me right after being to NYU?"

"I still have to process it, Mac. She's my niece. She's a Montana girl through and through and now her roommate's been murdered."

He really couldn't stay mad at her when she looked as down as she did. "You're off the case."

She looked down at her shoes. "I know."

Danny and Hawkes were pawing through the pictures they'd collected from Lynn's residence room and Claudia's photo box. Hawkes and Stella had also made a foray into Ryan's apartment and their pictures were also spread on the layout table.

"So what are these telling us?" Danny asked unnecessarily.

"Evidence tells us two different stories," Hawkes revealed. "We've got pictures of Lynn Stevenson with Ryan Hann, but Ryan had what could only be classified as a shrine behind his dresser to Claudia Stevenson." He waved to the two sets of pictures where they were laid out.

"So we can assume Claudia Stevenson and Ryan Hann dated. But then why did Lynn have pictures of the same guy. I mean, they look pretty cuddly."

"Well, the one's in Claudia's box are ripped. Looks like..."

"A brutal break up," Danny finished. "So Lynn started dating Ryan after he broke up with Claudia. That would cause a rift between sisters."

"There's no way she could've beat her sister though."

"That I agree with. Her roommate says she was a sweet as pie. Other classmates agree."

"So its true that her roommate is Lindsay's niece?"

"Yeah," Danny answered, picking up more pictures. "Why did they go over there?"

"Lynn wanted to visit her sister?" Hawkes provided. "You said the roommate was fighting with her sister. Is it a far stretch to say they wanted to fix everything?"

Lindsay stepped into the room, white lab coat hanging off her shoulders.

"Montana, put some evidence in context for us?"

She looked up sharply. "Mac pulled me off the case, conflict of interest."

Before any of them could say anything else - or Danny could get indignant on her behalf, as we was apt to do - Lindsay's phone rang. She checked the number carefully and smiled.

"My niece. Hey." Her face paled at the voice that answered. "Stella? Why do you have my niece's cell phone."

Stella looked up from across the hall, taking the six strides across the hall to reach them. "It was in Lynn Stevenson's purse."

Sign up to rate and review this story