Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Hybrids: Metamophosis

Prologue

by Chase_the_Cat 1 review

...

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-07-31 - Updated: 2006-08-01 - 1018 words

2Insightful
The girl could feel her fear emitting itself from her, mixing and flowing in great currents with her sweat. She couldn't let her parents see her this way. They wouldn't understand what had happened. They would be frightened and angry.

Her back was in such pain, and she shivered uncontrollably. She glanced in the mirror on her bedroom wall, then immediately looked away. She stifled another bout of sobs, her face swelling with held-in pain. She felt as if her back were torn open; indeed, she thought to herself, it had been.

With much reluctance, she turned her head behind her. In the dark, she could see their shape, their black, looming figures, alive and not all at the same time. She started to cry again, and her back burned as it shook with wracked sobs.

The girl knew that she would attract her parent's attention if she kept this up. She flopped down on her bed, landing face-first into her pillow. The figures above her draped exhaustedly to her sides; their movement jarred her back, causing her throat to crave a scream. She dragged it down and managed to utter no more than a whimper.

The girl cried harshly into her pillow. Part of her wanted nothing more that to call out to her parents, to beg for their help and have them comfort her.

However, she knew that once they saw what had happened, they would grant her no sympathy.

So the girl continued to cry into her pillow, thinking that there had to be someone out there who wouldn't hate her for this...


-------

She awoke slowly, shedding the shackles of the dream that had held her. Again she thought. Always the same nightmare. She looked to her back, and gently probed the shoulder blade. She could feel the protrusions, but the pain had by long past. Her dream was a simple memory; many years separated her from that fateful night.

The sunlight streamed into her window, and she remembered that it was Sunday. A sigh escaped her lips; as much as she enjoyed the school at which she taught, it had been nice to return to her own house instead of sleeping in a dorm.

The walls were a very pale green, almost white. All of her wooden furniture was light, unpainted oak. The sight of this familiar place was comforting, and she took in every detail.

She noticed just then that she was seeing all of this... upside-down.

Ugh... not again.

She sat up, pulling her upper body from her upside-down position, and suddenly realized how uncomfortably confined she felt. She sighed. Just wait a minute. she told them. I'll let you out soon enough. I would prefer to at least shut the blinds first. I don't want to flash you two to the neighborhood.

She stood, closed her blinds, and sighed. She looked to make sure her door was still shut, then she removed her nightshirt. She spread her shoulders, stretching, and her bat-like wings contentedly spread themselves. She shivered, and the membranes quivered, savoring their short-lasting freedom.

"I don't think you two realize all the trouble you've caused me." She admonished her extra limbs, her voice full of morning croak. She yawned, and the wings seemed to copy the gesture by tensing and releasing.

She let a Mona Lisa smile pass her lips. How ironic those simple appendages could control a person's destiny so strictly. Many aspects of her daily life had drastically changed since her wings had first opened. To this day, they fidgeted, cramped, complained, and determined a great deal of her daily life.

The smile faded from her face. Yes, they determined a great deal of her life.

She walked over to her closet, a little more sullen than before. She studied the few different colors that sat on the hangers. Most of her clothes were at the school, but she always kept a few here for when she took a weekend vacation.

She studied the differing fabrics and patterns, and finally unhooked a red-sleeved, white top. Though she found the design very flashy and unprofessional, it was a nice complement to her wavy, chestnut hair. She threw the shirt on her bed to put on afterward, then found a clean, extra-thick undershirt.

Once she had gathered her clothing, she stood still for several moments. She tensed, preparing herself for the daily battle. Her wings did the same.

She lunged, grabbing her right wing and forcing it to fold. With all of the mental force she could manage, she concentrated on making the appendage close. Her wings seemed to be more cooperative than usual, and relented to folding within the first five minutes of struggle. It was more of an effort to smooth them out and make them appear invisible under her shirt.

The rest of the morning was far less eventful. She was able to pack what little she needed - mostly toiletries - before 9:00, and was out of her house a half-hour later.

From the moment she stepped outside, a wave of drowsiness overcame her. She sighed before grudgingly continuing to the cable car pick-up.

The tall buildings of San Francisco surrounding her blocked out most of the sunlight, therefore alleviating her grogginess.

Being a bat-hybrid is just ridiculous.

She shook her head. While being part bat had its disadvantages, she should not be one to complain. Some of the students she had come in contact with were in far worse condition than her. Children like Monique, who would never be able to walk again because of her hybrid-type.

She looked up to see the car approaching; when it stopped, she stepped on and calmly grabbed a rail. She closed her eyes as the car started up, knowing full well that she'd be on this car until the end of its ride, down near the pier. She let her memories carry her into a different time as wind brushed against her cheek.

Author's Note: WHOA. I actually decided to post this. Someone slap me, I wanna make sure this is real...
is slapped
O.O WHOOOOOOOA. I did. XD
Sign up to rate and review this story