Categories > Games > Guild Wars > Halcyon's War

How It All Began - Prologue

by mikedc39 2 reviews

This is the story of two of my characters as they go through the Prophecies campaign - poss. factions and nightfall as well

Category: Guild Wars - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Horror, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2007-01-09 - Updated: 2007-01-09 - 1600 words

0Unrated
Halcyon's War




A.N. - Hey, this is only my second attempt at writing, the first being a complete failure a couple of years back that never got posted. This is only the prologue so it's quite short and I hope to have the rest of pre-sear down as one chapter but we'll see how it goes. I'm about halfway through the first chapter (I think). But it may be a while as I've got exams starting at uni next week, and I only recently got nightfall.

As you can see I've played with the timeline a bit, because I don't think that all of the training cane be done realistically in one day.

Disclaimer - I do not claim to own Guild Wars (although I would love to), all characters and locations belong to NCSoft Ltd (lucky buggers). I am making no money from this and probably not getting a degree either - oh well.


Prologue - How It All Began


'Well, I'm finally here,' thought Malios Halcyon as he entered the picturesque second city of Ascalon. Ascalon City houses the academy where future Ascalon soldiers go to begin their training. Malios spoke to the Town Crier who told him to look for Sir Tydus at the gates to the academy.

Walking up the hill Malios found himself following a girl who appeared to be the same age as him. At about 5"7 she was quite short compared to him, but then most people were when compared to his 6"4 frame. This girl, Malios was determined to discover who she was, carried a hand crafted bow and was wearing a number of animal hides as clothes. It appeared as though she was also heading towards Sir Tydus.

When they reached Sir Tydus he was busy briefing a patrol that would be sent north of the wall, Ascalon's last defence against the charr. Malios decided to introduce himself to the girl whilst they were waiting.

"Excuse me?" She turned around to face him and something about her made him stutter on his next line, "er... hi... I'm Malios... Malios Halcyon."

"Mirrax Beasttamer," she replied with a hint of amusement, "are you here to begin your training as well?"

"Sure am, I've been looking forward to this for a while. Would've come before now but Brother Mhenlo needed some help for a while at the Abbey."

Before Mirrax could respond Sir Tydus turned to speak to them, "So who do we have here?"

"Mirrax Beasttamer, Sir"

"Malios Halcyon, Sir," Malios said whilst snapping off a salute and standing at attention. He could hear Mirrax giggling in the background, but he didn't move until Tydus returned the salute.

"Halcyon, eh? You wouldn't happen to be related to Ooryl Halcyon Would you?" inquired Tydus.

"He was my father, Sir"

"Ahh, good man he was, we served together in the Vanguard. Not for long mind you, I was only in active service for about two years when he left to begin his family. He did a lot for the new recruits back then, kept most of us alive during the tail end of the Guild Wars. Right then lets take a look at you two. A Warrior and a Ranger. Mirrax I want you to begin your training with Artemis and Malios you'll begin with Van. Now, they're both outside waiting by the signpost in Lakeside County. Whilst you're there you might as well speak to Lina the Healer. Right, good luck and I expect to here good things about the pair of you over the coming year. Come back to me when you believe you are ready and I'll put you through your paces. Dismissed."

"Sir, yes Sir!" This was accompanied by a salute from one and a giggle from the other.

The two of the proceeded to head out of town to meet with their trainers. The first task they were issued was to deal with some skale. Mirrax was to kill the troublesome skale queen while Malios merely had to clear the river of the normal skale. Deciding to work together worked better than they thought it would as Malios waded right into the centre of a mob of skale and Mirrax attacked from a safe distance without being attacked herself as the queens attention was on Malios. When all the skale were dead the pair returned to their trainers and were told to await Haversdan.

When he arrived he directed the new recruits to a new trainer as well as Devona in Ashford to see what quests she needed doing, so that they could gain some first hand experience.

"So, what shall we do first?" asked Malios.

"I don't know, I'm kinda nervous about what tasks Devona will have for us."

"Don't worry about it, she told me that she always sets an easy task first off to the newbs," he reassured her.

"OK, so how about we head there first then," she replied and they set off walking towards Ashford, "so how do you know Devona?"

"Well I was born is Ashford and raised in the Abbey from the age of eight. Devona is good friends with Mhenlo and they've both always treated me like a little brother. In fact this hammer was a gift from her, says it was her starter hammer. I'm very honoured to be using it. So come on, tell me a bit about yourself."

I suppose now would be as good a time as any to describe in more detail these two young adventurers. As already discussed, Malios Halcyon was a big man at 6 foot 4 and just under 19 stone of muscle, he had blue eyes and mid-back length hair that was so black that it appeared to have a blue tint to it. He was very well tanned from hours of working in the fields around Ashford. He deliberately gave the impression of being big and dumb, but with Mhenlo himself as one of his teachers, this was far from the truth. At the time he was wearing traditional Ascalon Warrior armour, as worn by many in the Vanguard about 15 years ago, silver in colour and if one looked close enough they might be able to make out the name OORYL HALCYON, VANGUARD on the breast. The armour appeared to be well worn with time and a little ill-fitting, but Malios carried it well. He had a shield attached to his left arm, but leaving his hand free, a sword at his side (both of which he had found after killing the skale - obviously belonging to a victim of the skale) and a large hammer in his right hand resting on his shoulder. Add some food and a blanket into his backpack and he would be ready for war.

Mirrax Beasttamer, however, looked as though she had just emerged from a long stay in a forest. She was 5 foot 7, 9.1 stone (128 pounds) with fiery red shoulder length hair and brown eyes. According to Malios her animal hide clothing was tight in all the right places and the cut left little to the imagination. Her bow and arrows appeared to be hand carved and she also carried a large hunting knife in a sheath on her left hip. In fact the only fault that Malios could find was that there was a distinct aroma of fish about her, quite powerful if he was honest and he was currently looking for an excuse to throw her in the river that would still allow him to have children in the future (after all their brief skirmish against the skale didn't involve her getting into the water, only him).

"Well, I live in Griffingsford with my fisherman father," she finally replied. ('Well that explains the smell,' he thought) "I was taught to hunt and make my own clothing and weapons by Aidan and I rather hate fishing as a living, which I guess is why I'm here."

The pair had just got in range of Devona and judging by the grin on her face she was glad to see her 'little' brother.

"Malios, I've been wondering when you'd get here, who's your friend?" Devona asked.

"Hey sis, this is Mirrax Beasttamer, we just met in the city. So what have you got for us then?"

The two ladies nodded at each other before Devona answered, "Well this ones real easy. I want you to go to Ashford Abbey and speak to Meerak the Scribe. I've heard some unsettling rumours lately and he really should be telling Tydus instead of spreading it around. Could you go and see what's going on please?"

"I know you usually give out easy tasks to begin with, but come on, I'm sure you've got something more than that!" replied Malios.

"Don't worry! You'll get some much harder tasks in time."

After finding Meerak and returning to Ascalon City the pair decided to split up to meet with their respective trainers. After extracting a promise to keep in touch and help each other out they parted ways not knowing of the important role they would have in the future of Ascalon and the continent of Tyria.


A.N. Please leave a review and tell me how I did. My warrior monk is actually called Ooryl Halcyon (lvl 13 in the shiverpeaks), and Malios is my Assassin Elementalist (lvl 15 in kaineng although I don't play this one much anymore) . I changed it over because I prefer the name Malios as I was told when I was 16 (don't know if it's true or not) the Malios is Michael in Greek. My Ranger Ele is called Mirrax Halcyon and is lvl 20 currently in augury rock.
Sign up to rate and review this story