Categories > Original > Historical

The Rocking Lyres

by austereairwave 1 review

Orpheus, Apollo, and Hermes form a band.

Category: Historical - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2007-01-12 - Updated: 2007-01-12 - 795 words - Complete

0Unrated
Author Notes: This is a standalone. It is an alternative for my modern myth, just in case Andy's Antics doesn't make it. This story is based off of Greek myth characters. Enjoy. =)

Disclaimer: It is not possible to own gods. I own the plot though. =)

------

It is a magnificent day as Orpheus walks to Apollo's palace for some time alone with his father. As Orpheus approaches Apollo with a frown on his face, Apollo wonders what is wrong with his son.

"Hey " greets Apollo with a smile on his face. Orpheus just takes a seat next to Apollo and lets out a huge sigh.

"What's the matter?" Apollo asks with concern in his voice.

"Curiosity killed the cat," Orpheus said in a blunt tone. Apollo gives Orpheus a questioning look, urging him to elaborate.

"I was so close," Orpheus states. "So close to getting Eurydice back. I blew my chance by looking back because my nerves were telling me that Hades was playing a trick on me."

"I'm very sorry to hear that," Apollo replies. "I can't do anything for you because you broke your promise, and I can't convince Hades again. Let's get your mind off it and play some music." A few minutes later, the palace is filled with melancholy music. Apollo hears this and couldn't bear the sadness anymore.

"Ok," Apollo starts. "I'm sorry, but I just remembered that I had to help Artemis with something. Farewell Orpheus. I hope you feel better tomorrow." With that being said, Apollo pulls Orpheus into a quick hug and disappears. Orpheus continues to strum his lyre with sadness. A few hours later, Orpheus falls asleep. Meanwhile, Apollo goes to seek Artemis for help. Apollo tells Artemis the whole story.

"So what should I do to help him get out of his slump?" asks Apollo.

"Find something to distract him with," replies Artemis.

"I already tried that," Apollo states. "I tried to get him to play his lyre to distract him, and it didn't work. He played a depressing song. I think that idea made the situation worse than it really is."

"Hmm...this is a tough one," says Artemis. "Why don't I tag along tomorrow with you when you see Orpheus? I think if I see him I can figure out a solution."

"I hope you do find a solution soon," Apollo said with a heavy sigh.

"Why are you asking me?" asks Artemis. "If you're looking for a real solution, shouldn't you ask Athena? Besides, she's the clever one. She's the goddess of wisdom, for crying out loud! "

"I can't ask her because last week I pulled a prank on her," Apollo answers with a smirk on his face. "I could have teamed up with Hermes to hide her shield. She could have found out and hates me now."

The next day, Artemis comes with Apollo to see Orpheus. Orpheus is still at Apollo's palace. Orpheus is still playing his sad song with his lyre. Artemis hears the sad song and understands the situation. She is about to give up when she suddenly hears something.

"Wait a minute," Artemis says. "Do you hear that?"

"You actually enjoy this?" Apollo asks with a shocked face.

"No, not that," replies Artemis. "There's another person playing a cheerful tune with the lyre. If you mix the two sounds together, you get an incredible sound."

"How is this exactly a solution?"asks Apollo.

"Music can distract him," Artemis says with a smile. "First, let's find the person playing the cheerful tune first."

As they walk to the bushes, they can't believe who they found. To their amazement, it is Hermes playing the great tune. Hermes spots the twins and stops the tune. He then approaches the twins.

"Hey What's up? " greets Hermes.

"Come on," says Artemis. "You'll find out soon enough."

Hermes and Apollo are confused, as Artemis drags the both of them to Apollo's palace, where Orpheus is still playing the sad tune. Artemis tells Hermes the whole situation and reveals the solution.

"So, here's the answer," Artemis says with a smile. "Both of you form a band with Orpheus. This music thing will distract him. Also, as I found out, a happy tune and a cheerful tune mixes up to be a great tune."

With that being said, Apollo just looks at Orpheus and agrees to do it. Hermes pities Orpheus, so he agrees to do it. From then on, the trio were known as 'The Rocking Lyres'. They perform sold-out shows and are a big hit. Soon, through the music, Orpheus meets another girl. She appears to have the same characteristics and personality as Eurydice. The two fell in love and soon, both of them got married and lived happily ever after. Or did they?
Sign up to rate and review this story