Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Cloak and Dagger

Chapter Thirteen

by LOVELA 7 reviews

Comas and Breakdowns

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-01-21 - Updated: 2007-01-22 - 3492 words

5Moving
Joe and Andy rushed into the E.R. with a bag of clothes for Patrick and a worried look on their faces.

They found Pete right away sitting in the plastic waiting room chairs with his head in his hands. It looked as though he had fallen asleep in that position.

"Pete," Andy said quietly as they stood in front of him.

Pete's head shot up and he looked as though he had been through a train wreck. He had large bags under his eyes and it almost looked like he had been crying.

"Hey, thanks for bringing those clothes," he said tired as he stood up and stretched.

"Have you heard anything yet?" Joe asked expectantly.

Pete just shook his head no with a solemn look on his face.

"Not yet. It seems like this is taking a long time. Too long," Pete said sadly.

"How's Patrick holding up?" Andy asked quietly.

"I'm not sure. He had a breakdown earlier ranting about her dying and him not telling her that he loved her, and he's been quiet ever since," Pete explained with a worried look on his face.

"Where is he?" Joe asked looking around.

"Bathroom," Pete nodded his head. "He's been in there for a while."

-----

Patrick stood with his hands on the sides of the sink as he stared at his reflection in the mirror of the dimly lit bathroom

This was not supposed to be happening right now. He was supposed to be with his band mates in the studio tonight and Collette was supposed to be at home, safe. He wasn't supposed to be in the emergency room waiting to hear if he was going to be living in regret for the rest of his life or not.

What did he do to deserve this? Was this happening because he hadn't told her how much he appreciated and loved her? Was God trying to show him that you don't know what you got till it's gone? Was this all his fault?

What if she died? What was he going to do without her? What was Jackson going to do without her? What was this world going to do without her?

The thought of losing Collette caused Patrick to break down. He let out a cry as he lowered his head. He tried to steady his breathing, but it only caused him to cry more. Suddenly there was a quiet knock on the door.

Patrick immediately stopped crying and tried to compose himself.

"Yeah?" he asked annoyed that he couldn't be left alone.

"It's Pete. I had the guys bring you some clean clothes," Pete said quietly through the door.

Patrick looked down at his blood-stained clothes. Her blood. He looked back at himself in the mirror again. She didn't deserve this. She didn't deserve what ever God was trying to prove to him.

"Patrick?" Pete asked sounding worried.

Patrick took a deep breath and walked over towards the door. He opened it slightly and Pete looked at him almost relieved.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Fine. Thanks," he said taking the clothes and shutting the door again.

Pete walked back over towards Joe and Andy who looked nervous.

"Is he doing ok?" Andy asked.

"I don't think so," Pete said plopping down.

"Where's Jackson?" Andy asked.

"At Wren's. I didn't want him to be here in this environment. The kid's been through way too much already," Pete said slumping lower into the chair as Jackson's screams from earlier haunted his thoughts.

"Does anyone know how the other guy is?" Andy asked curious.

This all seemed so surreal. He felt as though he was living in the movies.

"No one has said anything. I hope he's dead," Pete said bitterly.

Andy and Joe just nodded.

-----

Patrick slowly changed into the jeans and t-shirt that Joe must have picked off his floor, since these clothes were not clean. Patrick just shook his head. Anything is better than what he was currently wearing.

Patrick stood and stared in the mirror again. He was shocked by his reflection. He looked older than his years. He looked as though he had the entire weight of the world on his shoulders. He wasn't old enough to look so tired and he definitely wasn't strong enough to have the world on his shoulders. He's going to break.

-----

"I think I'm going to go check on Wren and Jackson," Joe said after the boys sat in silence waiting for Patrick to come out of the bathroom.

"Ok," Pete stared straight ahead.

"Call and let us know if you should hear anything," he said standing up.

"I will," Pete nodded now. He was so tired.

Joe nodded and walked out of the E.R.

Pete glanced over at the bathroom door. He just knew that Patrick was going to have a major breakdown. He had hoped that there would be some way to prevent that, but he knew it was useless. He would have to watch his usually very composed friend crumble to pieces. It killed him inside.

"Mr. Stump?" Pete was broken out of his thoughts when he heard Patrick's name being called by a professional looking man in scrubs.

Pete stood up quickly with Andy on his heels.

"He's in the bathroom. I'll get him," he said quickly.

"Patrick."

Patrick was interrupted by Pete yet again.

"What, Pete?" he asked irritated.

"The doctor wants to speak to you," he said timidly.

Patrick must have snapped louder than he expected. He looked into the mirror again. This was it. It was time.

He opened the door fully and saw Pete looking at him with care and compassion in his eyes. He knew that this was like doomsday for Patrick.

Patrick slowly walked up to the doctor who was looking through some charts.

"I'm Patrick Stump," Patrick said quietly. He couldn't breathe.

"Mr. Stump, Ms. Locke is out of surgery," he said simply.

Patrick let out a deep breath. He's talking about her in the present. She's still alive.

"We had some complications on the table. She had lost more blood than was anticipated and her heart had stopped beating. We were luckily able to get her stable, but she is currently in a coma," the doctor said mechanically.

Patrick felt himself fall backwards slightly, but something hard was holding him up. He felt Pete put both of his hands on his shoulders to hold him steady. Patrick took a deep breath and stood up more on his own.

"What does this all mean?" Andy asked being the most composed.

"With situations such as these, the first twenty-four hours are the most critical. If she makes it through the night, we will be looking good," he said back.

Did he just say if? Patrick felt himself almost falling again, but Pete's strong grip on his shoulders kept him grounded.

"Ms. Locke has been moved up to ICU where we are keeping a very close eye on her. She's a fighter Mr. Stump. I have confidence that she will fight through this," the doctor said finally giving some form of hope to Patrick.

"Can we see her?" Pete asked knowing Patrick wanted to ask the question, but words were too difficult to form at the moment.

"Of course," the doctor smiled warmly. "She's in the ICU, room 523."

"Thank you doctor," Patrick was able to mutter out.

The doctor nodded and walked away to save more lives.

"Let's just sit down for a moment," Pete said leading Patrick to a chair.

"A coma," Patrick nearly whispered.

"She's going to be fine, Patrick. You heard the doctor yourself; she's a fighter," Pete said trying to make sure that Patrick didn't panic.

"Oh God, she's in a coma," Patrick leaned forward and put his head on his hands.

Pete looked up at Andy with a worried expression. Andy shared the feeling.

"Patrick, why don't we go take a walk and get some fresh air," Andy offered.

Patrick didn't move or respond. He just sat there with his head in his hands. Andy looked over at Pete and shrugged.

"Yeah, Patrick. I think some fresh air will do us all good," Pete said backing Andy up.

This time Patrick shook his head.

"No. I want to go see her. I want to see her now," he said standing up.

"Are you sure?" Pete asked following Patrick as he walked towards the elevators.

"I'm positive," he said stubbornly.

All three boys stood in the elevator in silence. Pete stared up at the numbers lighting up as they went up to the ICU floor, and listened closely to Patrick's deep breathing.

As soon as the door opened Patrick walked forward leaving Andy and Pete in his dust. Pete just looked over at Andy with a look that showed concern. Andy sadly smiled.

Pete and Andy followed Patrick as he looked at all the numbers on each door. He almost looked as though he was frantic. Pete was holding his breath.

"Patrick, wait," Pete said running up and grabbing his friends arm.

Patrick turned around with an angered look on his face.

"Are you prepared for this?" he asked.

"What are you talking about?" Patrick asked sounding irritated. He knew she was just three doors away.

"I mean, she's just been through major surgery and she's in a coma. She's not going to look like her," Pete said trying to warn Patrick.

"Pete, I don't care what she looks like. I have to see her," Patrick said turning around and going towards her room.

Pete took a deep breath and watched as Patrick walk up to her room and stop in the doorway. He didn't go in. He just stood there.

He saw as Patrick stumbled into the door frame. Pete rushed towards Patrick hoping he wouldn't go down. Andy was close behind him.

"Patrick," Pete said grabbing his arm and trying to hold him up.

"God, Pete. She's not going to make it," Patrick said now sobbing loudly as he let his legs fail under him.

Pete and Andy tried to hold him up, but Patrick was now hysterical and making it difficult for them.

"Patrick, it's ok. She's going to be ok," Pete said trying to hold his friend up.

"Come on Patrick. Let's get up," Andy said as he and Pete picked Patrick up off the ground.

"No, no. This is all my fault. I did this to her," Patrick cried as Andy and Pete lead Patrick to the family waiting room that was empty.

"Patrick, you did everything you could do. You can't blame yourself for this happening," Andy said calmly.
Pete was unable to say anything. He was in shock by this breakdown. He had tears going down his cheeks watching his friend in shambles.

"Oh God. I love her Andy. I really do love her," Patrick cried as Andy and Pete sat on both sides of him on the couch.

"I know you do, Patrick," Andy said quietly. His heart was breaking for Patrick.

"I don't want her to die. I want to tell her that I love her," he cried some more.

Pete just squeezed Patrick's hand, for he knew his voice would fail him.

"Patrick, you will be able to tell her that you love her," Andy said trying to calm him down.

"What if I don't get that chance? What if she never knows how I feel about her? Why?" Patrick screamed out and leaned forward into his hands.

He went forward with such force Pete thought for sure Patrick was going to land on the ground.

"Patrick, you need to calm down. You are working yourself up," Andy said leaning down to talk to Patrick.

Pete just sat there and rubbed his back, trying to calm him down.

"No, no, no. She's going to die! She's going to leave me here in regret. I will never forgive myself, never," Patrick cried into his hands.

Andy just took a deep breath, sat up, and looked over at Pete. Patrick wasn't going to listen to reason at the moment. He was too upset and lost in his irrational thoughts.

Patrick sat hunched over with his face in his hands crying.

-----

"Hello?" Wren answered the phone sounding very tired.

She looked at the clock. It was 3:30 in the morning.

"Hey, it's Pete," Pete said sounding exhausted.

"What's going on?" she asked expectantly.

"She made it out of surgery, but she's in a coma. The doctors said that the first twenty-four hours are the most critical. She's been doing alright so far," he said quietly.

"A coma? Oh my God, Pete," Wren said crying slightly.

"I know," Pete said almost crying again himself.

"How's Patrick taking this news?" she asked.

"Not good. He can't force himself to go into her room. He's sleeping now. I think he fell asleep out of exhaustion," Pete said rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hand.

"Jesus," Wren whispered.

"Is Jackson alright?" Pete asked.

"He's doing ok, considering. He's already had a couple of nightmares tonight," Wren said sadly.

Wren heard Pete sigh loudly over the phone.

"Alright, I'll come over in the morning after we get news on her status," he said quietly.

"Ok, thanks Pete," Wren said and hung up the phone.

She looked over at Joe who was sleeping with Jackson in his arms on the couch. She smiled slightly, but had tears rolling down her cheeks.

-----

"I love you," Patrick said as they laid in the green grass staring up at the blue, cloudless sky.

"I know you do," Collette said giggling.

"You do?" he asked and turned to face her.

His breath hitched in his throat. She was beautiful. She looked completely priceless. Her smile reached her deep brown eyes that sparkled with adoration towards him.

"Of course I know that. I can see it in your eyes," she said reaching forward and stroking his cheek lovingly.

"I'm that transparent?" he asked laughing.

"No, but when you love someone, you can read their eyes," she said quietly.

"You love me?" he asked.

"Well, yeah. Can't you see it in my eyes?" she asked laughing.

Patrick looked at her with deep concentration. He scrunched his face up causing Collette to giggle. He looked into her eyes and saw that sparkle of adoration again. That was it. That was the look of love.

"Yeah, I do see it in your eyes," he said quietly.

"I love you," she whispered.

Patrick leaned forward and kissed Collette sweetly on the lips.


Patrick woke up with a jolt. He looked around and was unaware of his surroundings. He was in a dimly lit room lying on a couch. He could hear phones ringing and doctors talking quietly to nurses.

"Her vitals seem to be holding strong," he heard and sat up quickly.

He saw a doctor looking down at his chart in front of Collette's room. The doctor spoke some more jargon to the nurse and walked away.

Patrick rubbed his eyes which were stinging. He reached for his glasses and put them back on. He looked back over to Collette's room. His heart ached to be with her.

He stood up slowly and walked over to the open door. It was dark inside and he could hear the constant beep of her heart monitor.

Patrick grabbed the doorframe tightly. He looked at her lifeless body lay on the bed with tubes and wires coming from her body connected to machines. He swallowed hard and took a step forward. Suddenly he couldn't hear anything but the pounding beat of his heart.

He continued walking inside even though he couldn't feel his legs anymore. When he got up to her bedside he gasped in. There she was looking as though she was sleeping. He watched her lungs go up and down as she inhaled and exhaled.

Patrick looked down at her hand and grabbed it delicately. He felt if he touched too hard he would break her.

"Collette," he whispered.

He sat down and kept his eyes glued to her face. She looked so peaceful. He willed for her to wake up at that moment. He wanted to look into her eyes. He needed to look into her eyes and he needed her to look into his.

-----

Pete walked back into the waiting room continuing to rub his eyes. He really needed to get some sleep.

He looked up and stopped in his tracks. The couch was empty. Where did Patrick go? He looked around the waiting room thinking he had just moved, but there was no sign of him.

"Hey, I got you some coffee," Andy said walking in with coffee in his hands.

"Where's Patrick?" Pete turned towards Andy.

"What?" Andy asked.

"Patrick. He's gone," Pete said sounding like he was about to panic.

"He was there when I left. I swear," Andy said setting the coffee down.

"Maybe he went to the bathroom," Pete turned to check the restroom when he saw someone in Collette's room.

"What?" Andy asked knowing that Pete had seen something.

Pete didn't say anything. He walked into the hallway with Andy on his heels. Pete stopped in the doorway and saw Patrick sleeping with his head in Collette's lap; he had her hand grasped in his.

Pete smiled slightly. He knew that Patrick needed to be in there for her. She needed to know that he was there for her. He suddenly felt waves of hope go over him.

"It's going to be ok," Pete said and turned to go back into the family waiting room.

Now all there was to do was to wait.

-----

Collette became conscious of her body and wanted to go back to her sister. She had a massive headache and her throat was extremely dry. Where she came from was much better than this. She decided not to open her eyes quite yet. She took note that she was lying on a bed and she couldn't move her legs. She began to breathe quicker. She was paralyzed. She can't move her legs or her left arm.

She squeezed her left hand tightly relieved that she could do so. She opened her eyes slightly and squinted at the sunlight. She looked down to her legs and saw that she was actually not paralyzed, but Patrick was laying there sleeping.

She tilted her head slightly. He looked so peaceful. She smiled to herself, but it faded when she realized she wasn't in her home. She was in a hospital.

Suddenly memories of what had happened the previous day came flooding back to her. She thought for sure she was going to die, but here she was lying in a hospital room. Collette began to panic, however, when she didn't see Jackson anywhere. Her heart monitor began to race.

"Patrick," she said hoarsely. Her throat was so dry.

"Patrick," she moved her legs causing him to bolt up and look around confused.

It took him a moment, but he finally realized that he was in Collette's hospital room. He looked down at Collette and saw her staring back at him with a worried expression.

"Collette?" he asked shocked.

"Jackson? Where is Jackson?" she asked.

"Oh my God, Collette. You're awake," he said shocked and hugging her.

"Patrick!" she yelled.

She needed to know if Jackson was ok.

"Jackson's fine. He's with Wren," Patrick said quickly.

Collette took and deep breath and looked back up at Patrick with a small smile on her lips. She was so happy that he was the first person she woke up to. Her sister's words echoed in her head and she smiled bigger.

"How do you feel?" he asked grabbing her hand in his.

"Like shit," she said honestly. "I'm really thirsty," she said grabbing her throat.

Patrick stood up quickly and went into her bathroom and came back with a glass of water.

"Thanks," she said gulping the water down quickly.

"I love you," Patrick burst out causing Collette to choke on her water.

"What?" she asked wiping water off of her chin.

"I love you and I've wanted to say it to you a long time ago, but I was scared. I'm not anymore, though. I love you. I love you so much," he gushed all of his feelings out.

Collette looked at him shocked at first and then her eyes changed. It was that look. They sparkled with that adoration for him and he knew then that she loved him back.

"I love you too, Patrick," she whispered and let a tear slip down her cheek.

AN: Wow! I am so sorry that it took so long to write this update. I got sick again and I've been running all over the place for both jobs. I hope you all are sticking with me and my slow updates. I'll try to update sooner.

This Chapter is Dedicated to My DoJ Girls because They Rock!

SMOOCHES!!
Sign up to rate and review this story