Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Tsuriaichi

Unusual Requests

by darkkitsune 0 reviews

Enter Fire Country

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor - Characters: Hinata, Iruka, Tsunade, Other - Published: 2007-01-25 - Updated: 2007-01-26 - 2195 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer : Kishimoto-sama owns Naruto and co. but the Hosoku clan and related paraphernalia are mine.

Warning : None

A/N : I hope you enjoy this chapter. I had to work real hard to get it past my writer's block. Thanks for the postive reviews, it's nice to know my idea was readily received so I'll try not to mess it up. Tell me if my OC heads towards being a Mary Sue, 'cause I dislike them as much as the next reader.

Note : Pairings are still open to suggestions.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chapter One
Unusual Requests

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tsunade lightly pinched the bridge of her nose between forefinger and thumb, a weary habit that had manifested in the years she hand been Godaime Hokage. She just hoped that she would be finally finished with the job before she was as old as Sandaime had been. Tsunade really didn't want the record of being the eldest reigning Hokage. The position of Konoha's head shinobi was a job that belonged to the younger generation not to old fogies; the two positions reserved in council were for that. Sometimes the influential shinobi village needed a refreshing new mind for its continual growth.

"Godaime-sama?"

Good old Shizune, she was always keeping an eye on the blonde Sannin. What the Godaime thought would be a short interlude - from the never ending paperwork - had turned into a rather unusual and drawn out meeting. Now where was she? Ah yes the dark brunette youth in front of her.

Tsunade gave one last rub to her nose and stared observantly at the foreigner whom had gained an audience. Normally the gaze would make any civilian really uncomfortable, who in their right minds wasn't scared when a powerful Kage was looking at them like as if she could read everything jumping through their mind.

The person sat quietly on a chair brought in specifically for their use, hands resting lightly in their lap. The only outward sign of uneasiness was a slight rub of fingertips over the meat of the thumb; otherwise they were withstanding the intensity quite admirably.

"All the other Hidden Villages rejected you?" The tone Tsunade used made it into a statement rather than a question.

The outsider gave a small nod of the head. There was no need for a verbal reply as they had already been over this part many times in their discussion of the youth's request. All they were doing now was awaiting the Hokage's decision, as long as they needed to. The leader of the Hidden Leaf had a lot to sort through.

Tsunade really couldn't find a malicious crack any where in this person's request, however the request was more complex than it sounded. It not only affected ninja activities - which the Hokage presided over - but also the security of Konoha. This case required that the council to be called to discuss the matter further and whether to grant such a thing.

"Shizune, send for the members of the council."

The woman in question nodded quickly in understanding and then exited the room to do her sensei's bidding.

The youth watched the medic-nin leave before turning back to the blonde kunoichi of rank. The two gazes met once more; one stern while the other flickered with hope.

"I believe you are genuine. Thus I am willing to support your request within the Konoha Council."

"I am deeply grateful for this chance Hokage-sama." The person bowed respectfully in their seated position with the grace of a ninja, the pose not at all appearing awkward.

"This situation is," the female Sannin paused then finally settled on a word, "unique, to say the least."

"I fully understand what I'm asking Konoha to go through is difficult." The corners of their eyes tensed. "However, I am also aware that the founding of strongest shinobi villages began in this way."

Tsunade silently agreed. This person had thoroughly thought out the implications and consequences of their request, showing a skill the Hidden Leaf valued in shinobi. It was a surprise that the youth was also hitting the points the Hokage was going to use on the council.

"The representatives should be arriving soon. You'll need to state your case to them. After that is done I'll have someone escort you to a secure room while the matter is debated."

"Understood Hokage-sama."

Tsunade stood with a stretch to soothe stiff muscles and walked towards the council chambers, motioning the youth to follow behind. Her amber eyes were sore and the Godaime had a feeling that it would be awhile before she could sneak a nap before Shizune found her. Kami-sama she hoped the Konoha Council wouldn't be too conservative on this. After all, every prospering city needed change every once in a while.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Iruka brushed the back of his hand over a slightly sweaty brow. The kids had been an absolute handful today; as they had been all week. There were only a few weeks until his latest class would become eligible for Genin.

He wore a rueful curl on his lips for a moment. The Chuunin cared for all the students who had passed through and it was a little hard to let them go. But as always, most came back as only nine would make official Genin status under Jounin tutelage, until the next round of Jounin were roped into accepting students.

A soft knock at the classroom door was enough to startle Iruka from his reminiscence. He smiled as the teacher recognised the long indigo hair. Hinata returned the gesture and stepped into the classroom, walking over with more confident steps than she had as a student.

"How are you Hinata-sensei?"

The Hyuuga tapped the edge of the brunette's desk with a finger, amusement showing in her colourless eyes. "The same as when you asked me this morning Iruka-sensei."

"The kids are not too rowdy then?"

"I'm coping. Besides one mention of your name and they quieten right down."

Iruka let out a chuckle at the thought. Then he remembered he was supposed to be paired with Hinata for a shift at the mission desk later. "Did you need me for something?"

"Oops, I was sent to fetch you." The kunoichi grimaced for delaying her important message with pleasantries.

The older Chuunin looked surprised. "Fetch me?"

"Yes. Godaime-sama requests your presence at the Hokage Tower."

"Okay. Just let me put these away." He gestured to the papers arranged systematically on the desk.

Hinata nodded and waited patiently for the Chuunin teacher.

Iruka quickly opened a drawer on the right and piled each of the stacks on top of each other. Once done the teachers fell in step on their way to Tsunade's office, a comfortable silence settling between them.

Konoha's weather was being merciful this month. Several rain showers had blissfully interrupted the seasonal hot days that had been pestering the humans' comfort levels. It was quite pleasant today with the clouds having seen fit to hang around in a rich cerulean sky, occasionally passing over the glaring sun.

Always the one who liked to be prepared the brunette broke the silence to see if his former student had any information on why the blonde Sannin had called him. For some reason his instincts were telling him that this would be no ordinary meeting.

"Hinata?"

"Yes Iruka-sensei?"

"Do you know why Tsunade-sama called me?"

The muscles at the base of her neck - as well as the top of the shoulders - flexed in nervousness or indecision. The young woman had gotten a lot better in the last four years about such things and the habits from Hinata's Genin days had disappeared, unless you knew what discreetly replaced them of course.

The Hyuuga breathed a light sigh before answering. "I was given no details, but I think it might have something to do with a girl." Hinata saw the surprise on Iruka's face and she hastily amended her sentence. "That's just my speculation."

Iruka knew the kunoichi was good at discerning part of the truth at times - such was an ability of the Hyuuga clan - even if she didn't know it herself. He nodded to assure the young woman he understood, yet inwardly wondering who this girl was to gain Hinata's attention and what Tsunade wanted.

It wouldn't take him long to find out as the pair had reached the steps leading up and around the Hokage Tower. Shizune was standing outside of the study along with the Godaime's two ANBU guards, fingers lightly rapping against the clipboard she held. Iruka took in the medic-nin's unusually flustered appearance; apparently she was nervous.

The black haired kunoichi gave one glance at who approached and waved the older Chuunin inside. She started a quiet conversation with Hinata as the heavy wood doors cut both women from sight and hearing. Iruka turned to find the Hokage pacing small circles into the carpet behind the desk, the chair abandoned to the side for the moment. He waited for her to speak.

A minute passed before Tsunade recovered the high-backed seat and sat down, resting her arms on the tabletop.

"I have a," she paused to find the right words to phrase the situation with a fatigued sigh. "It's an assignment of sorts."

"A mission for me, Hokage-sama?"

"Yes, and Hinata-sensei as well, for the moment. You can sit if you like Iruka, this might take some time."

The brunette Chuunin complied with the suggestion while thinking that his shinobi instinct was correct once again. He thought it was strange that Hinata had not been ushered in with him but detained by Shizune.

"I'll get straight to the point then." Tsunade clasped her hands together on desk top. "Konoha has received an unusual request from a clan from Grass Country."

The teacher was confused on that. Grass Country had their own Hidden Village to turn to.

"A member of the Hosoku clan has asked for the chance to be trained as a ninja under Fire Country rule."

"They are renouncing Grass affiliation for Fire?" Iruka interjected in shock.

Tsunade remained unperturbed by the outburst. "No." She ignored the confused stare but answered the unspoken question anyway. "The Hosoku clan not renounce something they do not have. Grass exiled the shinobi clan a few decades ago. They do not belong to any of the Hidden Villages."

This assignment should not be a large inconvenience on your teaching schedule. She will be placed in your graduating class. The basic requirement at the moment is that she is up to par with the other students by the time Genin selection comes."

Iruka tilted his head in acknowledgement. "I assume she has had some training since you are not putting her in a lower class."

"She informed us of chakra training and basic ninjutsu" the Godaime confirmed.

"Will the girl be allowed to take the Genin exams and take on a Jounin-sensei?"

"That is undecided. Once Konoha Council is satisfied with what she is capable of then they will make a judgment."

"Hai."

Just then a loud knock sounded against the study door. Tsunade shifted in her seat as she shouted for the person to come in. The wood opened to reveal Hinata with a slight flush, meaning the kunoichi had been given either bad news or really good news.

"Hokage-sama," the Hyuuga stated simply.

"Hinata. Is she with you?"

"She'll be with us in a moment. She's just talking to Shizune-san."

"Iruka the reason that Hinata is also assigned, is that the Hyuuga's have consented to give the Hosoku member advanced chakra training. Hinata will also assist you should you require it."

The blonde handed over a scroll to each of the two teachers. "Every thing I've said and other information is in these. If it doesn't have what you want just ask her or me, whichever is appropriate."

The Chuunin accepted the scrolls and replied simultaneously. "Understood Hokage-sama."

Tsunade waved a petite hand at the door; obviously someone was seeking permission to enter.

The brunette rose from his seat to greet the newcomer. From the information the Sannin had spoken he had conjured the image similar to that of his class, a twelve year old girl innocent but eager to learn. Iruka could not imagine a clan sending a child any younger away to a foreign village, unless a guardian accompanied the girl.

With this in mind Iruka was not prepared for the person standing inside the doorway. Instead he was looking at the stature of a young woman who appeared to be in her late-teens.

Her dark brown hair was neatly plaited and coiled at her nape, almond-shaped navy eyes gently framed by a fringe. She wore a sky blue, short-sleeved yukata that cut off at mid-calf, the hems decorated with monochromatic lilies of the same colour, and tied with a wide obi complementary to her dark irises. Plain white arm-protectors which had tiny, azure lily motifs embroidered into black buckles graced her forearms.

The voice of the Hokage broke Iruka from his state of light shock.

"Iruka, this is Kitai Hosoku," the girl bowed politely as Tsunade spoke her name, "your newest student."

"I'm honoured to meet you Iruka-san."


... TBC ...

Please review.
Sign up to rate and review this story