Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Five: Reunification

by Giroro5X 2 reviews

Ha ha, this one took me awhile to churn out. The first section was written, but it took me a bit to push through the latter portion of it. That said; enjoy! This chapter marks the last for the "Jou...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2007-01-30 - Updated: 2007-01-31 - 5196 words

0Unrated
Roses of the Valley

Chapter Thirty-Five: Reunification


"Really?!" Jiao's eyes were wide with excitement, her fists balled as she stared up towards the captain.

"Absolutely!" Haozen grinned, Ahnah nodding proudly in confirmation. "They looked just like the koi you find in the river, but big as a mountain!"

"Were they mean?"' she asked wondrously, imagining such a thing could only be a leviathan.

"No, no," he reassured her kindly, "those big hearts of theirs were filled with kindness."

"I even pet one!" Ahnah boasted with delight.

"Really!?" she adored her new friend more and more with each story.

"Yes ma'am. You see," he began the explanation with a sip of tea. "We held some food off of the side of the ship. When they came up for it, we got a chance to see it up close!"

"Where did you find them?" Qiu asked, unable to resist the interest of the captain's tales. She paid careful attention to the curtain concealing the kitchen, understanding that she could only afford the opportunity to ask him while her grandmother was occupied behind it.

"Auntie Min, we need more plum tea!" Onawa called towards the kitchen, her kettle dry. Feeling it wrong to merely take up space while recuperating, she had spent her time helping as a server in the tea house.

"Workin' on it!" the old pain bellowed, grumbling as she hurried to meet the demand of the morning rush. Her head jerked quickly in the direction of a kettle. "Turn that one up."

Bo nodded gently, focusing as the flame beneath the tea grew brighter, spreading out to envelop the bottom of the kettle.

"You!" she pointed a wooden spoon towards Shui.

The teenager stared at her dryly, having anticipated that she would demand his attention.

"Go out there and get me some plums; I'm running low and I can't touch 'em, or I'll break out." She pointed the spoon towards the front of the shop firmly, dipping it back into a kettle before its contents had time to still.

Knowing better than to argue at this point, he grasped the ingredients pouch. Making his way to the entrance, he glanced in Onawa's direction.

She nodded as she memorized the blacksmith's order, her father laughing at a nearby table as he shared more stories of the sea with Jiao and Ahnah.

He had grown accustomed to the streets of Bai-Jing, nodding in greeting to the faces he had become familiar with since his arrival a few weeks ago. His pace slowed as he became aware of a crowded group towards the end of the street.

"What should we do?" He could make out the worried murmurs of the villagers as drew closer.

"Someone has to tell the soldiers."

"Where are they?"

"They're at their camp, but there might be a few on patrol. Someone go tell them!"

"Someone already ran to tell them. What about lord Chin-Hwa's guards? Didn't they help out during the festival?"

"Someone go...Good," a merchant nodded as he noticed someone run in the direction of the Yang estate.

"Get the children inside..."

His curiosity piqued, the young firebender lifted his head to peer over their shoulders. His eyes went wide as he observed the cause of their worry, his grip on the pouch tightening.

A squad of Fire Nation soldiers approached from the far end of the street, three of them perched atop komodo rhinos.



"The Trident Campaign will permit us to drive our forces directly towards Ba Sing Se without the risk of attack from the north or south. Three commanding officers will lead direct assaults against three cities on the western coast of the Earth Kingdom. As each of these three officers press forward, large units will be left in the wake of the center officer's victories for the purpose of providing reinforcements when necessary. As the name indicates, the pattern will form a trident that will bring ruin upon the Earth Kingdom capitol," admiral Zixin explained from his seat.

The flames veiling Azulon flickered calmly, the Fire Lord narrowing his eyes as he considered the operation.

Kano peered apathetically towards the table, caring little for the admiral's plans. He had his own agenda to fulfill.

"Interesting," Iroh gazed upon the map carefully, contemplating the strategy. "Admiral Zixin, what will become of our forces once the Serpent's Pass is reached? Surely the Earth Kingdom would hold a great advantage over us once we reach its end." His point was entirely valid; the narrow nature of the pass would bottleneck them, leaving them entirely vulnerable once they had reached its end.

"I'm glad that you've asked me that, prince Iroh. Though the northernmost point of the spear will be acting to ensure the success of the central, the officer commanding these forces will fulfill a second duty: Securing the river leading into the bay of the Serpent Pass in order to establish a naval presence there."

"I see," the prince nodded with a smile, impressed by the strategy.

"And who would you recommend to lead each of the three siege units?" another admiral asked curiously.

"The southernmost point of the spear has the potential to see the most combat, assuming the Earth Kingdom can somehow mobilize all of its forces from the southern half. Understanding this, I would recommend myself to lead this point to ensure the success of the overall objective."

"Yet by your description, I regard the northern point to be most crucial. Without it, we are guaranteed a loss at the end of the Serpent's Pass," another objected.

Kano glanced towards the map, smirking as he noticed the area of the Kun valley.

"If my scouts' reports are accurate, the north has minimal military presence. If the campaign is initially successful, we'll be able to rest easy once we reach the mouth of the pass. This will give us time to allocate more forces to the northern point, should it require such. For this operation I would nominate admiral Siyu. I have full confidence in his naval prowess."

"And the central?" another asked sternly as he observed the map before them.

Zixin paused for a moment. The central point would require both a cunning and ruthless commander. Upon realizing the qualifications necessary one name had come immediately to mind, refuted by his personal disdain for the style and flagrant disregard for human life of the man. It was his faith in the Trident Campaign alone that enabled him to overcome this.

"Admiral Kano."

A silence filled the room, the flames before the Fire Lord steady as some of the commanding officers eyed the Dragon Tamer.

Realizing his opportunity, Kano grinned.

"I'd be honored, admiral. Yet I would make but one humble request." His joy had brought a sickly quality to his smile.

"Yes? Zixin narrowed his eyes slightly, insulted that the admiral would list a condition immediately after agreeing to the proposal.

"That you permit me the honor of choosing the date upon which we shall disembark. You see, my wounds are still a bit tender and I would require time to prepare my men," he noted innocently.

"Of course," the admiral nodded, not realizing the request would be so simple.

"Admiral Zixin," the Fire Lord spoke calmly, his voice carrying through the room. "Your proposal is approved. Prepare what forces you require and coordinate with your fellow admirals."

Iroh nodded gently, confident that the campaign would prove successful.

Kano grinned with a sick delight. The Fire Nation had unwittingly handed him the key to conquering the Kun valley.



The soldiers drew closer, their pace steady as they made their way along the village street.

The crowd dispersed as they neared, Shui standing defiantly in place. He glared up towards their leader, awaiting any sign of offense or hostility.

"You there," he addressed the teenager from atop the komodo rhino. "Perhaps you can help us."

"The Fire Nation isn't welcome here," he answered grimly, making no effort to move.

The commander sighed, nodding slightly. He had anticipated such.

"My unit doesn't have the manpower or the resources to attempt an invasion. We didn't come here to fight; only to track someone."

Suspicion mixed with his anger, silent as he stood in their path.

"Lieutenant?" he peered back, extending a hand. His subordinate handed him a scroll, the leader turning his attention back towards the teenager.

The villagers remained in their shops, peering out towards the scene.

Min remained in the doorway of the tea house, scowling toward the soldiers as Bo stood behind her, silently studying the situation.

"Any information you can provide us in locating this man will help us to leave your village faster," he explained as he unrolled the scroll.

Shui's eyes darted to the parchment, widening slightly as he recognized the face.

"Red Blade Haozen."

Onawa clenched her teeth, her back pressed to the inner wall of the tea shop. Her hand traced slowly over the hilt of her sword, anticipating a fight.

"Hmm," Bo lowered his head slightly, Min frowning as Jiao leaned out the door to hear what was going on.

Ahnah gripped her father's pants nervously, his strong hand petting her head softly to reassure her.

Haozen stared forward coolly, completely unsurprised.

"Wanted for several counts of piracy against the Fire Nation. My men and I engaged his ship at the mouth of the local river; we found the remnants on the bank. Have you seen this man?" he offered the paper to the teenager.

"...There's no one like that here." Shui's eyes rose to meet the commander's.

Bo's expression remained unchanged, watching the soldiers cautiously as Min smirked.

There was a sudden catch in Onawa's breath, her mouth slowly lifting into a soft smile.

"Are you sure?" the commander examined the scroll briefly to ensure the depiction was accurate. He had guessed from the state of the Jade Serpent that the crew had sustained considerable injury. Finding none of them in the forest, the village was the only logical place within the valley where they could all conceal themselves while they healed.

"I'm sure."

"Alright. We'll just ask a few more villagers and be on our way then," he nodded.

"I already told you he's not here." Shui glared toward their leader once again.

"You established that. But it's important that we find Haozen; he's a danger to anyone he comes across."

"The Fire Nation isn't welcome here." His tone had grown into a growl, a faint anger growing within him as he reminded them of their status.

"And I guarantee you that we'll leave as soon as possible; we just want to confirm that Haozen isn't hiding out somewhere in the village," he answered, the teenager's sudden agitation bringing a measure of suspicion.

"That's enough," Haozen called from the center of the street, his face twisted in an intimidating visage of anger.

Shui turned quickly, startled by the pirate's appearance.

"Haozen," the commander's eyes narrowed.

"Father!" Onawa cried out, springing forward. Her advance was stopped as Bo held his arm out, preventing her from exiting the tea shop. To the side of the door stood Min, staring angrily towards the commotion outside as she held Ahnah's shoulders, the little girl sobbing loudly.

"Wait," the commander lifted his arm to cease the advance of his subordinates. Staring hard towards the one he had been assigned to capture, he called out. "Red Blade Haozen! Lay down your sword and approach us slowly!"

He obeyed without a second thought, tossing his sword to the ground beside him as if it were some worthless trinket. Stepping forward, he stared hatefully towards the soldiers.

"Nice try kid," he complimented as he neared the teenager.

"Why?" Shui whispered coarsely, unable to fathom the pirate's actions.

"They would've searched every house looking for me. And even if they don't want a fight, there'll be one the second an Earth Kingdom soldier happens by."

"We could have helped you escape," he argued quietly, watching as the captain passed.

"My ship's busted up," he grinned. "Nothing to run with."

The young firebender watched as he neared the pursuers, calculating silently if he could handle them all at once. The rhinos pushed the odds heavily in their favor, yet every step the captain drew towards the Fire Nation increased his willingness to risk it.

The commander slid off of his beast, facing towards his target cautiously.

"...I'll admit. I'm surprised you're not putting up a fight."

"This village helped me and my men out when we needed it. I don't want to make trouble for them."

"Your reputation among the other officers paints you in a harsher light," he smirked.

"Heh. I've given your boys quite a bit of trouble over the past few years," he grinned proudly.

"I'm well aware. I hear about it constantly from the ones you escaped."

"You're the one who tore into my ship so badly?"

"I am," he nodded.

"This is a first. A Fire Nation soldier with class and competence."

The commander smirked again, nodding his head in thanks.

"Papa!" Ahnah hurried towards him, vision blurred by a cascade of tears. Behind her trailed Min, muttering at the child's stubbornness and quick reflexes.

Taken off guard by the child's outburst, Shui missed his attempt to intercept her.

Onawa's eyes went wide, struggling furiously against Bo's grip in an attempt to save her family from the clutches of the Fire Nation.

Haozen kneeled, wrapping his arms around his daughter as she bawled, petting the top of her head to reassure her.

"Don't go..." she pleaded quietly between indecipherable sobs.

"...You're a family man," the commander observed quietly, peering up towards another Water Tribe girl struggling to break free of an old man's restraint.

"...Yeah," Haozen nodded, unable to conceal the fact any longer.

"I see," he nodded as he watched the pirate, in every way the opposite of the man he had been set to capture. As if summoned by the display, the tender memory of his own family brushed against his thoughts.

"They had nothing to do with this," he warned lowly, his tone communicating his intentions towards any who endangered either of the girls.

"Do with what?" he asked inquisitively.

Haozen's eyebrow rose in confusion, glancing back towards the soldier.

"I was dispatched to apprehend Red Blade Haozen, a brutal pirate and enemy of the Fire Nation. I successfully located and destroyed his ship, then confirmed his demise. I have no reason to report some civilian I came across in a nearby village," he turned towards the soldiers.

The pirate's eyes went wide, his mouth gaping open slightly as he stared towards the soldiers.

An uneasy quiet held over the street, the pirates staring with the growing worry that the commander was merely toying with them, attempting to draw them into some false sense of security.

Shui looked with shock towards those he had recognized as enemies, having forgotten in his recent dealings with the Fire Nation the capacity for good that a number of them possessed.

Ahnah clung to her father, sniffling.

"...Hey," Haozen snapped back to attention.

The commander stopped, still facing away from him.

The pirate stepped back towards the tea house, stopping as he neared his weapon. Drawing it up, he threw it towards his former hunter.

He turned as the weapon slid towards him, kneeling to lift it.

"It'll be easier to convince people I'm dead if you've got something to show for it," he grinned.

The commander smiled, drawing the blade from its sheathe to observe the intricate ruby designs adorning its back. Concealing it once more, he nodded his head.

Haozen returned the gesture, smirking. Kneeling towards his daughter, he lifted her in his arms.

"Lieutenant," the commander offered the sword to his subordinate before mounting his steed.

"Sir," he nodded as he accepted the weapon.

The unit turned, making their way down the street at a steady pace. An unspoken gratitude passed between them, glad that they had concluded their business before Earth Kingdom forces had gotten involved. They were proud, yet knew well enough that they would be outnumbered.

"Is it okay now...?" Ahnah looked sheepishly towards her father.

"Better than okay. I think you just saved my life, little girl." He kissed the top of her head, carrying her towards the tea house.

In the distance stood Onawa, smiling as tears of relief escaped her eyes. Behind her stood Min and Bo, each smiling with gentle gratitude that the scene had passed with such minute disturbance.

Shui smiled, walking alongside the pirate. Glancing back towards the soldiers, he watched as they made their way towards the village entrance.

"I'm gonna need a new name though," Haozen grinned. "And a sword."

Before long they had reached the edge of the forest, the lieutenant quickening his pace to match his superior's.

"Think it's alright to leave it at that?" he turned towards the commander.

"Yes," he nodded with a knowing smile. "I feel that the bloody endeavors that earned Haozen his moniker are a thing of the past, now."

"Oh yeah?"

"It's one of those 'father things'." A confident smile spread over his face, his attention fixed on the horizon.

The lieutenant simply watched him for a moment, then nodded with a smile.

"Commander Shigeo!"

"Yes?" Shigeo turned his attention towards his subordinate.

"Our next destination, sir?"

"...Home," he smiled. "We'll present Haozen's blade to the Fire Lord, and then I'd like very much to see my family."

Each of the soldiers wore a proud grin. Each had been alongside the commander as they were apprehended at the North Pole. Each had been freed by the hand of a lone waterbender. Each knew the importance of a second chance.

They pressed on through the forest, thick sunlight flowing between the leaves as the sound of the river flowed gently in the distance.



The admiral sat before the parchment, reviewing the finer points of Zixin's strategy with an amused grin. A small saucer of sake rested neatly in his right hand, the liquid still.

Upon departure from the shores of the Fire Nation, he would break away from the formation to guide his troops to the river that would lead them to the Kun valley. From there he would stage his final assault, casting fire and blood over the lush fields and fertile soil.

Giving the General time to prepare and still meet with failure would make the look of absolute anguish in his eyes all the more rewarding.

The sake rippled slightly, disturbed by subtle movement as he chuckled; he had envisioned the look of horror on the faces of villagers, heard the sound of children screaming.

So focused on his goal, the admiral offered no regards for the repercussions of his plot. He had no idea that the absence of the main point of the trident would enable the Earth Kingdom forces to properly defend themselves from the other two admirals. That Siyu and Zixin would meet with complete failure, costing the Fire Nation both resources and manpower. That this loss would delay the Dragon of the West's infamous six hundred day siege of Ba Sing Se by nearly a decade.

Had he suspected any of the future's truths, he would still maintain his course. The goals of the Fire Nation meant nothing to him; the matter had swelled beyond that in the machinations of his mind. He wanted to rain death upon the Kun valley, to reclaim his wounded pride. He would have it at any cost.

His lips curled into a sadistic smile as he touched the saucer to his mouth, envisioning the deaths of the innocent.



"Do we really have to go?" Ahnah looked up sadly, pouting at the knowledge that she would be parting with her new friend.

"Sorry little girl, but you know how it is," Haozen smiled sadly, taking her cheek in his hand. His thumb wiped away one of her tears softly, his eyes meeting hers. "But hey; we can send letters every time we get to another port."

The girl looked sadly towards the ground.

The pirate nodded his head as he pondered, the corner of his mouth lifting into a gentle smile as it came to him.

"...And once a year we can come here for awhile to rest."

The little girl's eyes went wide as she looked up at him, astonished.

"Really?!"

He nodded proudly.

"But you said we can't go anywhere too often, or bad people're gonna know where to find us!"

"That's true, that's true. But...I didn't meet any bad people here, did you?"

"No..." Ahnah thought carefully. She thought the Fire Nation soldiers were bad people, yet they had let her father go.

"Then I guess it's safe, isn't it?" he grinned.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you!" she clamored, hugging him tightly.

Haozen laughed, patting his daughters back before watching her run to tell Jiao, who waited with her mother a few paces off.

"It's not enough to keep you going, but it should hold long enough to get you somewhere where you can find a proper shipwright. Or a new boat," the blacksmith explained as he nodded towards the patch work.

"Thank you kindly," he nodded his head slightly, offering a small sack full of coins.

The blacksmith nodded as he took it, inspecting the contents of the bag as he made his way back towards the trail leading to the village.

"Careful with that," Shui warned a pair of pirates as they hoisted a container onto the deck. Min had been very precise with her instructions, ordering Haozen's crew to offer a sample of her wares to anyone of particular importance they came across in exchange for her kind hospitality.

Onawa set down a barrel, motioning for two others to ready the sail for their departure.

Bo stood calmly beside Haozen, his arms folded neatly before him as he paid mind to the blacksmith's patchwork, hoping it would be enough to lead the pirates safely to their next destination.

"Alright, that's it!" one of the crew members cupped his hand near his mouth, alerting the others that they were ready.

The young firebender turned to leave the vessel, nodding towards two of the pirates as he passed.

"Ahnah, time to set off," the captain called for his daughter, turning his attention towards Bo. "Old man. Thanks for everything."

He offered a simple nod of the head, smiling with the hope of good fortune for the traveler.

"Tell the old pain thanks for me; I'll be sure to share her tea with just the right people!" he called back towards him as he took the little girl in his arms.

She waved towards the old man who had helped her in the forest, smiling happily with the knowledge that she would see her friend again soon.

Jiao waved goodbye excitedly, her other hand resting happily in her mother's as Shui stepped to his master's side.

Three of the pirates reached out with long poles, digging into the shore as they pushed the wounded Jade Serpent into the water, the strength of the river grasping it and leading it onward.

Onawa hurried to the back of the ship, gazing out from it towards the shrinking figures. With a soft smile she lifted her hand to bid goodbye to them, grateful for their hospitality. Then, quietly, she offered a separate wave to Shui.

Somehow understanding the latter to be meant for him, the teenager was taken off guard. Lifting his hand almost instinctively, he offered the same.

She smiled gently, the cool flow of wind rendering her unaware of the sudden slight warmth in her cheeks.

Jiao chattered excitedly about the stories she had heard from Ahnah, her mother greeting each with interest as they made their way towards the nearby path.

The old firebender followed after, glancing over his shoulder as he realized his apprentice was not at his side.

A look of thoughtful calm had come over the teenager's face, watching the shape of the Jade Serpent grow smaller in the distance.

"...Hmm," Bo smiled.

Snapping back to attention, Shui looked towards his mentor. Following quickly, he slowed his pace as he reached the old firebender's side.

The two made their way into the forest, the sound of the river flowing softly in the background.

Near the water's edge stood a tree, scar marks lining its trunk where the bowsprit of the Jade Serpent had scraped it.

From a small branch grew a tiny cluster of leaves, a beautiful flower blooming from it.



"You're lying. You're a liar," Yakone sneered, his head resting in his palm while his elbow pressed firmly into the table.

"No, there really was! Big sister Wen and Gang fought him! Just ask lord Chin-Hwa!" Li Mei protested from across the table.

"And there were pirates here," Shui contributed from beside her, entering into the conversation. He was surprised to find that out of the three, Yakone's travels had proven the least eventful. He had assumed that the loudmouth waterbender would have no trouble getting himself and his traveling companions into some form of trouble.

"I told you; I'm not making this up," she stared towards the firebender with narrow eyes.

"No; there really were pirates," he glanced towards her, realizing she had assumed he was mocking her.

"Lord Bo, were there pirates in the village?" she rolled her eyes, looking back towards Bo as he readied the Pai Sho board. The shop would close soon enough, allowing him and Min to engage in their nightly game.

He nodded in confirmation, disappearing behind the curtain as Min stepped out into the serving area, smiling pleasantly towards the three.

"Wow, really? Pirates?" Li Mei stared towards Shui, convinced. Across from her sat Yakone, his eyebrow rising as he watched the old pain curiously.

"Really," he smiled, taking a long sip as Min walked by him.

"Well now dearies, how are you enjoying the tea?" she smiled innocently, tilting her head to the side.

Shui and Yakone stared with absolute shock.

"It's delicious, auntie Min!" the girl smiled happily, lifting it to her lips once more.

"What'd you put in my tea, old woman?" the waterbender narrowed his eyes, realizing the scenario before him.

"Why, I'm absolutely horrified!" she lifted a hand to her chest, her overacting only confirming that she had some malicious plan in store for him. "You would think me capable of such a wretched thing!"

"Yeah Yakone, that's really rude," Li Mei scolded him.

"I don't care; she did something," he studied her, peering towards his rival's tea and then his own to ensure they looked the same.

"Why would I do something so vile to such a helpful, kind young man like yourself?" she practically sung the words, leaning in from behind him as she fixed a hand on his shoulder.

Li Mei and Shui stared with absolute shock, knowing Yakone to be in every way the opposite.

His eyes darted from cup to cup, panicking slightly as he attempted to figure out what she had done to his drink.

"I wouldn't act like this if I'd put something in your drink," she reassured him. "I would act this way if I wanted to get close enough to do this," she pulled his shirt back suddenly, pouring the contents of a piping hot kettle down his back.

The teenager howled, his body entering into a rapid spasm as he attempted to tear his shirt off. The shirt muffled loud swears and promises of bodily harm as he pulled it over his head, dipping his hands behind him to fan his back.

"Crazy old..." he glared towards her, knowing all too well that he had deserved it for pouring cold tea down her back before leaving with Seung.

"Yeah yeah," she muttered as she made her way towards the kitchen, waving a hand dismissively. "Now we're even. Try anythin' like that again; I'll do even worse things to you."

Li Mei lifted her hand to her mouth, stifling a giggle.

Shui smirked.

"This isn't funny," he glared. He turned towards the doorway, the sound of heavy footsteps interrupting his hateful stare.

Min peered back, smiling as she turned her body towards him.

"Back already?" she smiled.

Jung nodded slowly, stepping into the tea house. The mask faced towards the kitchen, skimming the room for a particular face.

"She went out for a walk," Min grinned. "Said she missed seeing the moon from the valley."

He remained motionless for a moment, nodding with gratitude to the old woman. Turning towards the doorway, he stopped as a voice called out to him.

"Ah, mister Jung!" Li Mei stood from her seat, wanting to catch his attention before he left.

The eye of the mask peered toward her from over his shoulder, the very bottom of his mouth visible beneath its shattered jaw.

"We were wondering...Did anything interesting happen to you on your trip?" If she and the others had encountered spirits and pirates, she could not help but wonder what he had come across.

"...Bandits," he nodded gently, stepping through the doorway as the moonlight draped over him.

"Just bandits?" she whispered with slight disappointment, sitting back down.

"This sucks," Yakone sneered. "The loser gets pirates, you get some monkey spirit guy, he got bandits...All I got was Seung and Xiu making out." Sighing, he sat back down.

"What?!" Min exclaimed, eyes going wide.

"Really!?" Li Mei stared.

"Yeah," he lifted an eyebrow, curious as to why this had caught their interest.

The two stormed the table in unison, mounting it as they drew their faces to his.

"Tell us more!" they demanded anxiously in unison.



Wen Lan stood calmly among the roses, smiling softly as she watched the sky with fond fascination. Her hands rested neatly in front of her, her hair twitching as a gentle breeze passed lightly.

She turned towards the village, the distant torches flickering like fireflies. Noticing a figure approaching, she drew to a halt.

There was a slight catch in her breath, her eyes going wide as she realized the identity of the traveler. The expression calmed into one of reassured admiration, overjoyed that he had returned safely.

Making out her figure, Jung lifted his hand to his mask. He slid it into his pouch, smiling as he neared her. With each step her features became more definite, her beauty having only increased since they had parted from one another.

The urge to embrace him defeated her formality, hurrying forward as her arms lifted to meet him.

His arms wrapped around her, her embrace filling him with a familiar comfort. Every bit of her, every scent and touch, filled him with an indomitable love.

Her head rested softly on his chest, eyes closing as she soaked in every ounce of warmth and solace that the moment would allow. Her mouth lifted into an adoring smile.

His hand traced her cheek gently, his eyes meeting hers.

With a tender smile she met his gaze, her lips drawing slowly to his.

The two held one another beneath the soft illumination of the moon, reunited.
Sign up to rate and review this story