Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > The Cheat Code

Auntie Em

by FairyGodmoose 0 reviews

After a mysterious phone call, a preteen girl named Emma is sucked into Kingdom Hearts. She just wants to mess around, but she's been enlisted to fight the Heartless!

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Humor - Characters: Ansem, Donald Duck, Goofy, Kairi, Maleficent, Riku, Sora - Warnings: [!!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-02-03 - Updated: 2007-02-03 - 2462 words

0MarySue
"Hey, look! It's Auntie Em!" A group of boys, howling with laughter, were pointing at a dark-haired young girl sitting on a swing in the school yard. She was clutching a dark blue backpack and glaring at the boys over a pair of sequined, horn-rimmed glasses. "Auntie Em, Auntie Em, a tornado!" one of them squealed in a falsetto.

The girl held her backpack even tighter. "My name...is Emma..." she whispered.

"Oh, Auntie Em!"

"My name is Emma..."

"Auntie Em, I had the most wonderful dream...but then I saw a little old lady staring at me!"

Emma stood abruptly, dropping her backpack. "MY NAME IS EMMA!" she yelled.

The boys immediately paused their jeering. The ringleader looked as if he was about to make a smart remark, but his eyes fell on Emma's backpack instead. "Well, what do you know? Auntie Em plays baby games!" He snatched the backpack and laughed at the design; a cartoon drawing of Sora smiled back at him, wielding the Kingdom Key. "Aren't you a little old for this?"

"Hey!" Emma protested. She tried pulling her precious backpack free from the boy's grip, but this tactic didn't work, so she threw several pitiful punches at him. "Kingdom Hearts isn't a baby game!" she growled. "Square Enix made Kingdom Hearts, and they made Final Fantasy, too! All eleven so far are rated T!"

Emma stumbled backwards as the boy let go of the backpack and chuckled, rubbing his rope-burnt fists. "And Disney made Winnie-the-Pooh, stupid." Emma, for lack of a better idea, growled again, then ran off the school yard, holding her backpack as if it was a baby. "YEAH, RUN HOME, OLD LADY! BACK OFF!"

... ... ...

I can't believe those jerks...at least I'm home. Now I can sit back, relax, and play Kingdom Hearts! Emma walked up to a white house with red and blue trim. She started to ring the doorbell, but a note taped to the right of it caught her eye. Don't tell me Mom's working late again tonight... She grabbed it, then looked it over.

Dear Emma,

I'm sorry, but I won't be home for few more hours. I think I can trust you to stay home alone again. The house key is in its usual hiding spot. If I'm not here by dinnertime, there's some chicken in the fridge; you just need to heat it up.

Love ya, baby!

-Mommy

P.S. (Don't play that game too much. King of Hearts, isn't it? It's bad for your eyes. I don't want to have to run over to Pearle Vision and get you new glasses!)


Emma sighed as she adjusted her infamous glasses. I wish you WOULD get me new glasses...Kingdom Hearts it is, then! Smiling mischievously, the preteen picked up a porcelain flowerpot, produced the key, and went into the house.

... ... ...

Okay, let's see...I just beat Clayton and Stealth Sneak...all that's left to do is seal Deep Jungle! Emma had beaten the game about ten times. She always restarted to see how long it took to do it again. Suddenly, the phone rang. What? Now? Emma got up and walked over to the blaring phone. Let's see who\'s bothering me now...hmm? The caller ID was blank. Isn't it at least supposed to say 'unknown caller'? She nervously picked up the phone. "...hello?\"

"I have a message for you, Miss Baecker. You might want to copy this down...\"

Emma stared. Who is this guy? And how does he know my name?

"Miss Baecker? Pay attention!"

Emma snapped back to attention as the strange man reprimanded her. "Yes, sir!"

"All right. Now, this is what you need to write down. Up. Up. Down. Down. Left. Right. Left. Right." Emma apprehensively scrawled the directions onto a piece of paper. "Triangle. Square. X. Circle. Start. Put this in right where you are."

"Uh...what...?"

"In Kingdom Hearts. You are playing Kingdom Hearts at the moment, are you not?"

"Uh...yeah...?"

The voice laughed. "Don't be so nervous, Miss Baecker. Just put the cheat code in. You have a habit of talking to the screen, correct?\"

Emma's face got red. "Kinda."

The man chuckled. "Be careful what you say, then." He then hung up.

Okay, that was really weird...it can't do any harm to put the code in, though, can it? Emma walked back to her PS2, and padded it in. She stared blankly at the screen. Nothing happened. I guess it was a prank call. But...how did that guy know my name?

... ... ...

After a few minutes, Emma got to the Cavern of Hearts to have Sora lock Deep Jungle. Her eyes were practically glued to the screen. Sora turned to face Donald. "Sorry about...what I said."

"I'm sorry too," Donald admitted.

Emma started her usual habit of talking to the screen. "YOU GOT OVER YOUR ARGUMENT THAT QUICKLY? MAN, THAT'S SAPPY!" she yelled. "YOU GUYS ARE SUCH WEIRDOES!"

A lot of people talk to their screen. To scold a boss. To cheer on a main character. To give comments on the cinematics. It's a normal habit for video game players to talk to the screen. However, it isn't normal for the screen to respond. Normal or not, though, the cinematic came to a sudden stop. Sora turned to face Emma with a look of mock irritation. "And YOU aren't? I mean, where'd you get those glasses, your Grandma\'s dresser?" he asked playfully.

"Did...d-did you just t-t-talk? To m-me?"

Sora crossed his arms. "Of course I did! What are you doing there, anyway?"

Emma paid no attention to the fact that the Keyblade Master had insulted her, and shrieked loudly. Then she fainted.

"Hey, wake up!" Sora yelled, pressed against the PS2 screen. "If this is about the crack about your glasses, I'm sorry! JUST WAKE UP!"

Jane looked over at Sora. "Who are you talking to, Sora?"

"Yeah, who\'re you talking to?" Goofy echoed.

The pointy-haired boy ignored his allies, waving his arms around frantically. "HEY! WAKE UP ALREADY!"

Donald tapped his foot impatiently. "I think the sun melted Sora's brain. There's nobody there!"

Sora gestured to a hologram of an unconscious Emma that had appeared in front of him. "Look, there's a girl right there! She fainted when I said something to her!" The others stared blankly at him. Sighing heavily, Sora faced Emma again. "WAKE UP RIGHT NOW!"

"Mmmmm..." Emma sat up groggily and rubbed her eyes. That was a weird dream... She glanced up at Sora, who was glaring back at her. "AGH! IT WASN\'T A DREAM!"

"Be quiet!" Sora scolded. "Listen, my friends think I'm schizophrenic at the moment. I'm the only one who can see you, so if you want to talk, you'll have to find a way over here."

"To...to Deep Jungle?\" Emma asked, staring blankly.

"That's right."

"How?"

Sora shrugged. "I thought you might know that answer to that. And how can you talk to me right now?"

"Some guy gave me a cheat code."

"A what?"

Emma rolled her eyes. "You know, a cheat code. To give you extra things in video games." Sora twitched. "Yeah, you're in a video game. Walk it off."

Trying his best to remain ignorant of Donald, Goofy, Tarzan, Jane, and Terk's stares, Sora cleared his throat. "Well, can he give you another one? To get you in here?"

"He called me out of the blue. I don't know his number, or who he even is, for that matter. How am I supposed to contact him?"

Sora glanced behind him. His voice dropped to a whisper. "They're seriously weirded out...listen, I can't think of anything, but if you try pressing every button, maybe you'll get some results."

Emma shrugged. "It's worth a try. I'll contact you again if it doesn't work. For now, just go get your new Keyblade."

"New Keyblade?" Sora asked skeptically.

"Yeah, new Keyblade. Trust me, this is my eleventh time playing Kingdom Hearts."

"What\'s Kingdom Hearts?"

"Nevermind. Go!"

Sora started to turn from the hologram of Emma, then stopped. "Hey, before I forget, what's your name? I can't just call you 'girl', can I?"

The gamer pushed her glasses further up on the bridge of her nose. "My name is Emma. Now go already!" she insisted. Sora smiled and nodded, then turned and motioned for his allies to follow him out of the Cavern of Hearts. Well, let's try pressing every button. But if something bad happens, I swear I'm going to find a code that forces Sora to walk around in his underwear. She padded in Up, Down, Left, Right, Triangle, Square, X, Circle, L1, R1, L2, R2, L3, R3, Select, and Start.

Suddenly, a blinding, green light filled the basement. Emma shielded her eyes instinctively. Glowing green flames, the source of the light, appeared a foot in front of her. An eerie voice started to speak. What are you so afraid of?

"Huh?"

What are you so afraid of? it repeated.

Oh! The questions from the beginning of Kingdom Hearts! I wonder if I can choose different answers... Emma slowly uncovered her face. "Er...being made fun of," she admitted.

What is your most prized possession?

Emma wasted no time in replying, "My PS2!"

What do you want out of life?

Her happy expression left as quickly as it had arrived. Shyly fiddling with the zipper of her school uniform, she whispered, "I want...I want friends."

Your journey will start in the afternoon, the voice told her emotionlessly. Keep your wits about you, and your head high, and your journey will be a pleasant one. Before the flames lowered and the light dimmed, Emma was surprised and confused by the voice's final words: Good luck to you...elementalist.

The flames shrunk until they were barely off the ground. They shimmered slightly, and formed a small circle that fans of Kingdom Hearts would recognize as a save point. I think it worked! But just in case... Emma looked around her basement for a test subject. Her eyes finally chanced upon a small Beanie Baby, a near-bald zebra that was smeared with lipstick; she had tried to give it a make-over at the age of five.

Emma picked the zebra up by the head, and promptly dropped it into the save point. On the screen, Sora, Donald, and Goofy were swinging above the Hippo Lagoon. The decadent zebra plushie fell on Donald's head. "WAK!" he squelched in shock, losing his grip on the vine he was holding, and also fell. A splash could be heard, along with Sora and Goofy's chuckles. "IT'S NOT FUNNY!" Donald roared.

Well, I guess it worked! Emma grinned. She stood above the save point. Wait...I shouldn't go in until they're on land. I'm not particularly in the mood to get drenched at the moment... So, she sat back down and watched Sora and Goofy swing down to retrieve a considerably upset Donald.

... ... ...

"I'm telling you, it was a Heartless!" Donald insisted as they walked back to Jane's tent to exit Deep Jungle. "I was attacked by a flying Heartless!"

Sora glanced over at the duck. "It looked more like a bald zebra toy, in my opinion."

Donald crossed his arms. "Well, nobody asked for your opinion. It was a...a Zebra Heartless. That's right, it was a Zebra Heartless. Very dangerous," he assured him.

A glowing green light came from the tent. "Gawrsh, what's that?" Goofy asked in alarm.

"Stupid projector!" Emma stumbled out of the tent, Jane's projector lying on the floor. She rubbed her leg, hopping along on one foot. "Sora, there you are!"

Sora raised an eyebrow. "Emma? Is that you?"

Emma nodded. "Of course! Why wouldn't I be me?" Sora didn't reply. Donald and Goofy were just staring, utterly confused. In the awkward silence, Emma reached up to adjust her glasses, and realized why Sora didn't recognize her in the process; her glasses were gone. Yet, she could see perfectly. She looked down at herself, and noticed for the first time that her uniform was gone; she was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Her bun had been replaced by a neat ponytail. She shrieked, causing Donald and Goofy to shriek as well. "Man, if I looked like this at school, those kids would sooner eat their shoes than call me Auntie Em!"

"Auntie Em?" Sora asked, not familiar with movies, much less the Wizard of Oz.

"Nevermind," Emma dismissed.\n\nDonald and Goofy were still shaking like leaves. "Sora, who is that?" Donald demanded, pointing a feathered finger at the girl.

Sora gave them a smug grin. "Remember when you thought I was talking to myself? Well, I wasn't. Meet Emma, guys. You probably know Donald and Goofy, right, Emma?"

"Since I was a toddler," Emma confirmed. She extended her hand. "Nice to meet you guys. Cautiously, the two talking animals shook Emma's hand in turn.

Donald tapped his foot again. "Yeah, yeah, nice to meet you. What are you doing here, anyway? Where are you even from?"

Emma glared. "Chicago."

Goofy looked thoughtful. "I've never heard of a world called Chicago!"

"It's not a...nevermind."

"So why are you here?" Donald repeated.

Emma blinked. "Um...I'm not sure, actually. I just came. There wasn\'t really a reason...other than that I wanted to mess around."

Donald groaned loudly. "So you're nothing but an air-headed freeloader." Emma twitched at this comment. "Since you're already here, why don't you make yourself useful?" he suggested, but his tone implied that it was an order.

The gamer shrugged. "Sure, why not? I have the time. What do you want me to do?\"

"Help us find King Mickey."

"And Riku and Kairi," Sora added.

Emma looked aghast. "You want me to fight?"

Sora nodded. "Yeah! Do you have a problem with that? You can go home now, if you want. You don't have to help, but it would be appreciated."

"Of course I don't want to go home!" Emma responded, puffing out her chest. "I'm in Kingdom Hearts! What more could a kid like me ask for?"

Donald and Goofy looked confused again. "Kingdom Hearts?" Goofy whispered to Sora.

Sora shrugged, looking just as confused. "Don't look at me! She didn't fill ME in, either."

"If I absolutely HAVE to fight..." Emma continued. "...then I will. With great power comes great responsibility. Just like in Spiderman."

"Spiderman?" Sora asked.

Emma waved her hand. "Nevermind, it's a real-world thing. So, do you guys have a weapon for me?"

The three characters shook their heads. Donald and Goofy both took one of Emma's wrists, pulling her back into the tent, and back onto the save point. "Then we'll get you one. Let's go to Traverse Town!"
Sign up to rate and review this story