Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Not Looking

Epilogue

by whatkatydid 13 reviews

Epilogue.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover - Published: 2007-02-05 - Updated: 2007-02-05 - 1597 words

5Moving
Epilogue

ques-tion - noun
1. a sentence in an interrogative form, addressed to someone in order to get information in reply.
2. a problem for discussion or under discussion; a matter for investigation.
3. a matter of some uncertainty or difficulty; problem (usually fol. by of): It was simply a question of time.
4. a subject of dispute or controversy.
5. a proposal to be debated or voted on, as in a meeting or a deliberative assembly.
6. the procedure of putting a proposal to vote.
7. Politics. a problem of public policy submitted to the voters for an expression of opinion.
8. Law.
a. a controversy that is submitted to a judicial tribunal or administrative agency for decision.
b. the interrogation by which information is secured.
c. Obsolete. judicial examination or trial.

9. the act of asking or inquiring; interrogation; query.
10. inquiry into or discussion of some problem or doubtful matter.
-verb (used with object)
11. to ask (someone) a question; ask questions of; interrogate.
12. to ask or inquire.
13. to make a question of; doubt: He questioned her sincerity.
14. to challenge or dispute: She questioned the judge's authority in the case.
-verb (used without object)
15. to ask a question or questions.
-Idioms
16. beg the question. beg (def. 9).
17. beyond question, beyond dispute; without doubt: It was, beyond question, a magnificent performance. Also, beyond all question.
18. call in or into question,
a. to dispute; challenge.
b. to cast doubt upon; question: This report calls into question all previous research on the subject.

19. in question,
a. under consideration.
b. in dispute.

20. out of the question, not to be considered; unthinkable; impossible: She thought about a trip to Spain but dismissed it as out of the question.

Wow - 20 meanings just for a question, but here in this epilogue, I thought I'd divulge into the obvious unanswered queries.



Firstly, understand and comprehend the immense battle Olivia when through for Patrick. What started out as a casual relationship because that's all she'd ever known, blossomed into this incredible friendship and love affair. This was out of her control.

Then there was Pete, the fact he delayed their journey back to the apartment in the original version showed he was taking matters into his own hands in that he wanted Olivia and if 'they' couldn't cast her into his lovelife, then he would do it. He arranged for the 'dark haired woman' to seduce Patrick at a time when he was weakest, timing their entry back to the apartment at just the right time, maximum effect. This was completely IN his control.

Underneath, maybe Pete did want Olivia to be with Patrick, that's why he got the trackback. 'They' gave Pete another chance for things to turn out differently, maybe for him to not be so sordid in how he tricked his best friend.

Only thing is, second time round it didn't turn out he had planned either.

Getting back to the apartment, little did Olivia or Peter know that the act had already taken place. Hence the underwear in Patrick's bed, as instructed by Pete to the 'Dark Haired Woman'.

Patrick really did want Olivia when she got back, his reaction was genuine, but notice he didn't say "I love you.." back when she expressed it to him?

When Olivia noticed the underwear and the confirmation of Patrick's infeditliy, she knew the game was over.


What you see in the last chapter is her surrender to a much bigger scheme of things.

That no matter what you do, no matter how much you change things, no matter how much you want things, things will always pan out exactly how they're supposed to, whether that's a good or bad thing for you, or not.

Even though a track back had been given, Patrick had still cheated. This was out of her control.



con-trol
-verb (used with object)
1. to exercise restraint or direction over; dominate; command.
2. to hold in check; curb: to control a horse; to control one's emotions.
3. to test or verify (a scientific experiment) by a parallel experiment or other standard of comparison.
4. to eliminate or prevent the flourishing or spread of: to control a forest fire.
5. Obsolete. to check or regulate (transactions), originally by means of a duplicate register.
-noun
6. the act or power of controlling; regulation; domination or command: Who's in control here?
7. the situation of being under the regulation, domination, or command of another: The car is out of control.
8. check or restraint: Her anger is under control.
9. a legal or official means of regulation or restraint: to institute wage and price controls.
10. a standard of comparison in scientific experimentation.
11. a person who acts as a check; controller.
12. a device for regulating and guiding a machine, as a motor or airplane.




You cannot force love, you will never get the square peg to fit the circular hole and that's if you've managed to get the peg...

Olivia's realization of her unreturned love for Patrick is enough for her lay down her weapons ( her stubbornness, her determination, her fierceness ) and for once, give in to possibly the most unwanted thing in her life. To be with Pete.


We can be so desperate for love.



What about 'them'?

them

1. (used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. You can't tell a book by its cover.
2. (used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded): It was the largest ever caught off the Florida coast. Who was it? It was John. The horse had its saddle on.
3. (used to represent a group understood or previously mentioned): The judge told the jury it must decide two issues.
4. (used to represent a concept or abstract idea understood or previously stated): It all started with Adam and Eve. He has been taught to believe it all his life.
5. (used to represent an action or activity understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned): Since you don't like it, you don't have to go skiing.
6. (used as the impersonal subject of the verb to be, esp. to refer to time, distance, or the weather): It is six o'clock. It is five miles to town. It was foggy.
7. (used in statements expressing an action, condition, fact, circumstance, or situation without reference to an agent): If it weren't for Edna, I wouldn't go.
8. (used in referring to something as the origin or cause of pain, pleasure, etc.): Where does it hurt? It looks bad for the candidate.
9. (used in referring to a source not specifically named or described): It is said that love is blind.
10. (used in referring to the general state of affairs; circumstances, fate, or life in general): How's it going with you?
11. (used as an anticipatory subject or object to make a sentence more eloquent or suspenseful or to shift emphasis): It is necessary that you do your duty. It was a gun that he was carrying.
12. Informal. (used instead of the pronoun its before a gerund): It having rained for only one hour didn't help the crops.


They are an administration. They are literally placed in mid-heaven. They're not God, they work with him, making tiny adjustments to people lives in order for the human race not to be tossed to utter chaos. They go unnoticed. Unannounced.

Their main priority apart from their job of tweaking is to ensure their race continues. Survival, it's instinct, but they do it with precision. If they get the pairing right, each generation gets better, more moldable.

They understood Olivia's desire to be with Patrick, so for a time, they granted her exemption from the gifts of being one of 'them', giving her time to really see that things would not work how she wanted. This may come off cruel, but it's like parents, they have to let children make their own mistakes at times, even knowing the outcome.

There was an important line in the ending chapter....it kinda puts everything into perspective for me:

"And I'll learn to love you!"



learn
-verb (used with object)
1. to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn French; to learn to ski.
2. to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain: to learn the truth.
3. to memorize: He learned the poem so he could recite it at the dinner.
4. to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.
5. (of a device or machine, esp. a computer) to perform an analogue of human learning with artificial intelligence.
6. Nonstandard. to instruct in; teach.
-verb (used without object)
7. to acquire knowledge or skill: to learn rapidly.
8. to become informed (usually fol. by of): to learn of an accident.



You could argue that she wouldn't have to learn because if she only succumbs to what 'they' want, then she'll fall in love with him. But please bear in mind, the whole moral of this story was Olivia's fight for a real love. Even being under the control of 'them' she will learn to love from the deepest parts of her, the parts they couldn't possibly control. She is in control.




I'm sure you'll all have more questions, and I want to answer them. I've tried hard to make this story flawless but I'm imperfect and my writing comes from my soul which is even more imperfect.

Please ask questions in the reviews and I will answer them....

Thank you so much for reading this. Every single review has meant something to me, I mean that. Seriously. End Of.
Sign up to rate and review this story