Categories > Original > Drama

The Sweet Smell of Cinnamon

by LilyRose 3 reviews

A short story I wrote last year. Please read and review.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [R] [V] - Published: 2007-02-10 - Updated: 2007-02-10 - 824 words - Complete

1Moving
Disclaimer: All mine.

The Sweet Smell of Cinnamon
By LilyRose



Matt and Delia had always been one of those couples that were on again, off again, on again, off again. That is, until one of the "off agains" just didn't get back on again. Something had happened, some kind of horrible misunderstanding that caused them to just simply stop talking to one another. When they were around each other at school, they would look the other way. When they would cross paths, they would do nothing to acknowledge the other. It was as if they were each living in a distant world, totally and completely separated and barred from the world where the other resided.
The time rolled around to their Winter Formal. Delia wasn't sure if she was going to go at first until she was asked by Jessie, one of her guy friends. Matt decided not to go, he would however stop by towards the end to pick up his younger sister Susan who was going with a bunch of her friends from class.
Even though Delia wasn't serious about Jessie, she still wanted to look nice. She took extra care with fixing her hair so it was just right. Partly up in a loose bun, with a few stray hairs that gently fell around her face. She wore a simple red dress with spaghetti straps and black lace trim that cut off just above her knees. As she finished her light makeup, she slipped her lip gloss into her purse just as the doorbell rang. She strapped on her small heels and headed for the door. Delia opened the door to see Jessie standing on her front porch looking very nice in an all black suit with a red tie. He held out a corsage, white lilies, her favorite.
They arrived at the dance just as everyone else was getting there. The music was loud, almost over barring. They saw in the lobby, that there was hot chocolate being served with cinnamon sticks. As Delia walked by she grabbed one of the sticks. She wasn't exactly sure why, but the smell of cinnamon always seemed to calm her.
The night seemed to pass rather quickly, with or without Jessie, Delia danced to almost every song. She saw a lot of her friends. However, one "friend" seemed to be missing. Delia wasn't sure whether she was relieved or disappointed. It was extremely warm in gym with all the bodies it held, so she decided to go behind the bleachers. Oh yes, it was much cooler under there. She leaned against the wall and let her head hang.
Delia stayed there for a few moments, listening to the music until she heard a voice. "Hey, there you are." She lifted her head, it was Jessie. He came and stood next to her. He stared at her for a few seconds before saying, "Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight?" Delia just smiled and blushed as she tried to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. The strand fell back into place, at which time Jessie reached out and, gently grazing her cheek, pushed her hair back. Afterwards, he did not remove his hand, but slowly moved closer to her. He softly brushed his lips over hers and lingered for a moment, waiting for her reaction. Delia slowly started to kiss back.
Now that Jessie had gotten the invitation he wanted, the gentleness was gone and was replaced by rough kisses. He bent his head lower and ravaged her neck. This was too much for Delia, she tried to push him away, but he was too strong for her, and she was no match for him. She tried to yell for help as his hand snaked under her short dress and raised the length up to her thigh. He put his other hand over her mouth to stifle her screams. She bit down on his finger as hard as she could, then he slapped her fiercely across the face. Her vision blurred from tears, welling up, brimming her eyes.
There was nothing she could do, she still tried to fight him off, but saw little hope. That was, until Jessie was swiftly pulled off of her by someone. She fell to the floor, tears mixed with mascara streaming down her face.
Delia looked over to where Jessie was, someone had him held down to the ground punching him. After Jessie stopped trying to fight back and just lay there, the other person came rushing over to her. Once closer, she recognized who her rescuer was, it was Matt. He wrapped her in his arms and held her tight, telling her everything was alright, and she believed him. Being held in his arms, she nuzzled her face into his chest. She then smelt something familiar, something she had been missing and wanting for a long while now, she smelled, cinnamon.



The End

Sign up to rate and review this story