Categories > Original > Fantasy > Cry of Rage

Prologue

by Song 0 reviews

In an ancient world where humans are not the dominant species, the land is ruled by war and a crazy king... and the salvation of the land lies in the hands of five young ones, despised by all and e...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-22 - Updated: 2007-02-22 - 393 words

0Unrated
(My prologues are always short, but my chapters are longer. =P)

Prologue

The fire cracked and sparked as logs shifted inside the flames. Four pairs of eyes reflected the fire's blaze in the dark, giving the night an eerie feel.

One of the two tallest of the four girls around the fire looked up, her long black braid whipping the shortest girl's back. "The silence is killing me," she complained.

The short girl glared at her. "Your voice is killing me," she snapped.

"Good," the first girl muttered.

"You two," a third girl growled. "Just shut up!"

The taller girl tossed her head, again whacking the shorter one with her braid. "She started it."

The short girl glared at her.

"You're the sole Seer here," the fourth girl said, "so stop acting like a seven-year-old brat and be mature."

The tall girl stuck her lower lip out, pouting.

The second girl propped her chin on her hands. "I haven't heard the story of the Five for years," she said. "Anyone have it memorized?"

"You're the one who's supposed to have it memorized, stupid!" the third girl said, exasperated. "Your mother is Keeper of Stories."

"I know it," the first girl said. "How could I not?"

The fourth girl rolled her eyes. "Fine, fine," she said. "Stop being a moron and tell the story, then."

"Fine!" the first girl pouted. She straightened up and crossed her legs, assuming the seat of a storyteller. "You all know the story of Raag, god of emotion, and how he was made into a god, right?"

The others nodded. "Everyone knows that," the second girl said.

"If I remember correctly, you didn't know that one until two years ago," the third girl said, snickering. "You're a pathetic daughter of a Storyteller."

"Shut up!" the fourth girl snapped. "Stop arguing and let Nuo Li speak!"

"Thank you," the first girl said. "Like our ancestors, Raag was an uska."

"A what?" the third girl asked, a blank look on her face.

"Listen," the first girl said, smirking. "This is not a story of Raag. It is a story of four outcasts, like us, but their crime was greater than ours: their blood wasn't pure. Half human, half uska, shunned from all sides, caught in the middle of a civil war, a crazy king, a slaughter. It's a story of rage."
Sign up to rate and review this story