Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Lifeline's Journal:A Day In The Life Of A G.I. Joe Medic

Chapter 3: A Few New and Old Faces

by Medic_or_Medic_Lifel 0 reviews

Uh, Chapter 3.

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Beach Head, Duke, Flint, Hawk, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-09-17 - Updated: 2005-09-18 - 1659 words

0Unrated
HTML>



Disclaimer: Please see chapter 1 for all disclaimers.
By Medic (MedicLifeline)
Rating PG 13
Let me know what you think.


Chapter 3
A Few New and Old Faces..


After the service yesterday, I had the remainder of the day off. Daily activity pretty much went back to normal. You can't close a base just because you have a funeral service. I, in my heart, wished we could have, but that would not have been realistic. Even if I am pacifist, I still live in the real world, no matter how much I disagree with it at times.

I really did not do too much yesterday since I was not in the mood. So, instead of going out, like many of my teammates who had the day off, I chose to stay in and relax, going to bed early.

I knew that going in for the early shift today was going to be different. As I walked to my office, which was located at the end of the infirmary, so many thoughts flooded my mind. I wondered what would happen today. I wondered if anyone would mention or speak of Carl. Would I be able to do all the things that Doc C did? He was my mentor, but I still worried about filling his shoes. They were pretty amazing shoes to fill.

Sideswipe gave me a rundown of what kind of patients came in overnight and during the last few days. We made small talk as his shift ended, asking about the mission and how I was doing. After he told me "goodbye", I was on my own. I opened my office door and walked in. Sitting down in my office chair, I studied all the paperwork lying on my desk before me. Looking to my right, I glanced at the door that led into Carl's office. It was dark, and I knew it was locked, since there was really no reason for anyone to be in it besides him. The only other personnel with a key were Duke and myself. I wondered when they would let one of us start to pack his things up.

I saw there was a memo on my desk, informing me of two new medics, who would be arriving today after lunch. Their code names: WiseGuy and Angel. Other than that, it seemed like it was to be a pretty normal day.

I had a few greenies come in with minor injuries. I think it was more to get away from Beach Head more than anything else. Since the patients were not too much trouble, I was able to get some paperwork done./ Paperwork: the mound that never ends. /

Roadblock was cooking so I had to be sure to go to lunch today. The dining hall was crowded like normal. You could hear voices even before you walked in. When Roadblock cooked, you better get there early otherwise you will miss out. They had to lay a rule down of a two-plate maximum, so that anyone who wanted to would be able to enjoy his cooking. As I grabbed my plate and silverware, I walked through the hall trying to find someplace to sit. Looking around, I spotted a free table. Cover Girl must have seen me looking for a place to sit. She kindly waved me over to sit with her, Clutch and Footloose. Not only was lunch delicious as usual when Roadblock cooked, but the company was wonderful. I had been gone for a while, and my first day back was the day we all were informed of the deaths of our teammates. I had not seen them in a while.

The conversation started as small talk as we all really were not in the talking mood. They asked how I was and if I was okay, now that I was the interim head of the infirmary. Then, Footloose started to reminisce of Doc and some of the adventures on the missions we all encountered. How he felt lucky to know Doc C. Clutch spoke up next, at the table, telling us how Doc C told Clutch that he had no luck with his left leg since it had been shot and broke within a short period of time. Sitting there, we all realized Doc C. had treated most of the team at least once, if not twice, for some sort of injury.

As we spoke of this subject, my own hand went to caress the spot on my left shoulder where I had been shot. I noticed that Cover Girl mimicked me, her hand rubbing her right shoulder where she had been shot. We all laughed when Footloose mentioned Doc C's favorite saying when something like this or anything else happened: " This too shall pass....."

Thinking to myself at that moment, most of the time, my comeback was:/ "Yes Carl, This too shall pass......with as much comfort as a kidney stone..." / Lunch actually ended up giving us all the laugh we needed after everything that happened.

After lunch, I went back to the infirmary to wait on the arrival of my two new medics. Reading their files, both were dependable from what the letters from their commanding officers said. Each had very good credentials and would be a valuable asset to the team. I am glad, as I need all the help I can get no longer having a doctor. This vacancy will, undoubtedly, put more stress on me. I am the senior medic, and as such, I am now head of the infirmary also.

The first medic I met was Wiseguy or Wisenski, Peter. E5. I kept on reading the name. Where had I heard that name before? It sounded so familiar. Rereading his file, Wiseguy was a veteran medic, not a greenie just out of training, which made me feel a little at ease. Not only for the fact that he had to be subjected to combat and fighting, but he had taken care of patients before. When he reached my office and knocked on the doorframe, I could not believe it! It was Pete! Pete Wisenski. I went to paramedic school with him years ago in Spokane, Washington.

Imagine my surprise. Pete (WiseGuy) and I had not seen each other in years, but we knew each other right away. He still looked the same after all these years. The nurses always kidded him of having a baby face. Pete did not look like he had aged a bit. He was still lean, but then what should I expect since he was a corpsman with a Marine unit? He still wore his dark head of hair in a flattop.

Yes, everything was still the same about him, except for his eyes...I could see in his eyes. He maybe physically did not change, but the eyes are the window to the soul. You can tell quite a bit about a person from their eyes. They were still warm and friendly, but dark. From his file I had seen, he had seen quite a bit of action. His eyes showed the same thing. I sat there wondering what my eyes shown to him. Were they the same or had mine changed too from all I had seen and endured over the years? Suddenly, it was like the years faded away as we talked of memories of school, our jobs, and families. We laughed about school and some of the antics he did to some of the nurses we knew.

He told me he moved back to Florida a few years after paramedic school to help take care of his ailing mother. His mom and dad transferred back to Pensacola, less then a month of him graduating paramedic school. We had a good conversation. The only part I told him that I would elaborate on at a later time was, of course, Sean, my best friend. We all three were in class, and Pete asked how he was. I informed him that Sean died, and of course, I was no longer with Abby. He asked if I had seen anyone else since Abby. I told him yes, but Bree and I had broken up recently too. I was single and for the most part, enjoying my time again. I gave him the schedule for now and told him I would work on it later today after the other medic arrived. Carl generally did the schedule, but now it was up to me. Good heavens, I never thought making up a schedule could be so confusing. I do not know how Carl kept up with it..

A little while after WiseGuy left, my other new medic arrived. I was rereading her file: Mcalister, Susan, E-5, Hospital Corpsman, Navy, code name Angel. Angel, I saw from her file, was also not a greenie. Thank heavens Hawk gave me two medics who appeared to know their stuff. I loved to teach, but right now was not a good time for that. I needed people who could jump right in.

I had her take a seat and tell me a bit about her. The impression I got from Angel was that she was all business and very professional. She was a few years younger than me; but what she lacked in age, Angel made up in experience and in patient care. She was fairly tall, blond hair, blue eyes, and had a great personality. She carried herself with a confidence; and if anyone questioned it, I have a feeling she would let them know otherwise. I informed her that I would get her on the schedule as soon as possible. I dismissed her and told her to go unpack and get settled in.

I soon went back to taking care of things, since for once, the infirmary was not a zoo. I better close for now, I have to decipher the schedule and get it up for all to see. I hate that schedule already.
Sign up to rate and review this story