Categories > Theatre > Music Man > Good Night, My Someone

Good Night, My Someone

by Phantom_Reader 0 reviews

Marian gets an unexpected visit and an offer she can't refuse! Based on the 2003 film.

Category: Music Man - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-03-07 - Updated: 2007-03-07 - 911 words - Complete

0Unrated
Late one evening, near the end of summer, Marian Paroo was sitting on her bed, finishing her newest book. It had been weeks since the 4th of July celebration, and weeks since she had graciously accepted the offer from Professor Harold Hill to court her. She was just about to turn the page of her book; when she heard what sounded like rocks on the window. She walked over to the window and opened it. She looked down and there on the ground, gazing up at her, was Professor Harold Hill!

"What are you doing here?" She whispered.

"I came to see you." He said loudly.

"Shh, you fool!" Marian hissed. "Do you want Mama to hear you?"

Harold kneeled down. "Oh, fair Juliet of River City. Would you allow I," he placed his hand on his heart. "An unworthy Romeo, to meet with you for just a few minutes?"

Marian felt warm inside, she had always loved it when Harold used Shakespeare in his conversations. But before she had a chance to answer, he went away for a moment. Marian gasped when she saw him coming back, with a ladder of all things! He placed it upon the house and began to climb up.

"You can't come up here." She whispered. But before she could stop him, he was standing right in front of her.

"And why not?" He asked as Marian shook her head.

"Because it's not customary for a gentleman to see a lady at this time of night, and especially when she's not decent!"

Harold just smiled. "I am not a gentleman, I am a fool, remember? Now are you going to let me in or not?"

Marian sighed and helped him climb through the window, being careful as to not make any noise. Once he was inside, Marian sat down on her bed. "Now, answer me, what are you doing here?" She asked.

"The children missed you at music class today," he looked toward the ground, "so did I."

"Is that all?" She asked impatiently.

"Well, I figured someone had to tell you your homework for the next few weeks."

Now it was Marian's turn to smile. "Since when does the Professor's assistant have homework?"

Harold took a step closer and gave her a half-smile. "Since the Professor and his students all agreed, that the Professor's assistant should sing at the upcoming autumn celebration."

Marian's eyes widened. "You didn't..."

Harold shrugged his handsome shoulders. "It was only a suggestion-"

"But I can't sing!" Marian said, a little too loudly.

Harold kneeled down and put his finger to her lips. "Shh, of course you can." He whispered.

"I mean, I can't sing in front of hundreds of people!" She exclaimed quietly.

He took both of her hands in his and whispered, "I'll practice with every day, every hour, every minute if I have to-"

"Marian!"

"Oh no, it's Mama. You must hide." Marian hissed as she pushed him into her closet before her mother came in.

"Marian, are you alright? I thought I heard voices-"

"Oh no, Mama. That must have been something outside you heard. I'm alright." Marian said breathlessly as she tried to usher her mother out the door.

"Are you sure, darlin'? You seem excited-"

"Oh, I was just at a really exciting part of the story, that's all. Good night, Mama." Marian kissed her cheek and her mother left the room.

Marian left her door cracked and watched her mother go to her bedroom before Marian closed the door completely. She leaned up against it and breathed a sigh of relief. "It's alright Harold, you can come out now."

The closet door opened and Harold squeezed his way out. "Gosh, Marian. How much can you store in a closet?"

Marian laughed, but then her expression turned sober. "You really need to go now, before my mother discovers you."

He nodded. "I will leave now. But will you please sing for us at the festival?" He had a pleading look in his beautiful eyes. Marian took one look at his chocolate-colored orbs and was speechless. This really is important to him, isn't it? She thought as he walked to the window. Within a split-second she had made up her mind. "Wait." She told him. He turned around as she flew into his arms and kissed him so hard he nearly fell out the window. She then broke the kiss and said: "I'll do it."

"You will?" He asked.

"Yes." She smiled.

Harold smiled back. "Good. Then we start work tomorrow." He then started to climb out the window when Marian started to sing softly,

Good night, my someone. Good night, my love.
Sleep tight, my someone. Sleep tight, my love.
Our star is shining its brightest light,
For good night, my love, for good night.

Harold looked deeply into her eyes as he sang the next verse.

Sweet dreams be yours, dear. If dreams there be.
Sweet dreams to carry you close to me.
I wish they may and I wish they might,
Now good night, my someone, good night.

Marian joined in as they both sang the last words of the song.

Good night...

Marian watched as Harold quietly climbed down the ladder. He blew her a kiss, took the ladder, and went home as Marian closed her window. Later, as they both blew out their candles and went to bed, they dreamed of each other as the stars shined brightly that night.
Sign up to rate and review this story