Categories > Books > Les Miserables > Watching the Master

Watching the Master

by Phantom_Reader 1 review

Eponine is angry about Marius and Cosette and feels as if her life is no longer worth living, until she get a lesson that shows her there are some things in life worth living for. (Sorry, bad summa...

Category: Les Miserables - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2007-03-12 - Updated: 2007-03-13 - 656 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Why did this have to happen? Why did I let it happen?!" Eponine thought to herself as she watched Marius and Cosette through the garden gate. "I could've just thrown the address away, but no, I had to give it to him!" Tears came to Eponine's eyes when as she gazed at them talking, laughing, and kissing. The lark was kissing Marius! The nerve! Eponine knew she couldn't watch any longer, so she sadly turned away and slowly walked down the street.


A little while later, as she was walking, she heard the sound of someone throwing something against the wall. She looked up; it was coming from Montparnasse's flat. She almost considered just walking past, but curiosity drew her to his doorway. She looked in, and sure enough, there was 'Parnasse, practicing his knife-throwing. "Hey 'Parnasse." She greeted as she leaned on the doorpost. He stopped for a moment and glared at her. "What do ya want?" He asked. He sounded irritated. Eponine shrugged her shoulders and came in the room. "May I come in?" She asked sarcastically. Montparnasse turned back to the wall. "Yeah, whatever." Eponine sat down on his bed and watched him for a few minutes in silence before asking; "Why do you do that? It just ruins your walls." "It helps to relieve anger and stress." He responded; not looking at her. Eponine thought of her situation for a second and then asked; "Can I try?"

Montparnasse stopped and looked at her. "What?"

Eponine stood up. "Can I try?"

"Why?"

"You said 'it helps to relieve anger and stress.' I happen to have a little bit of both right now and I wish to relieve them."

'Parnasse thought for a moment, and then sighed. "Very well. Come here." He ordered. Eponine obeyed. 'Parnasse took her hand and showed her how to hold the knife. "You hold it by tip of the blade, and lift it up over your head, like this." He then stood behind her and gently took her arm. "Now you flick your wrist like this." He demonstrated with his arm first before helping Eponine. "You got it?" He asked. Eponine nodded. "I think so." Montparnasse then stepped off to the side. "Okay." He said. "Now keep your eyes on the target, and give it all you got. Take you rage and frustration and channel it into your throw." Eponine did so.

She closed her eyes for a moment, and thought about how she felt at the gate. She then threw with all of her might. She then opened her eyes and looked at the wall. She didn't hit a bull's-eye, but she was pretty close. 'Parnasse whistled. "Not bad." He complemented. His statement took Eponine by surprise. She turned to him. "Do ya really think so?" She asked as he walked over to her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and nodded. "Yeah, I do." He murmured. Eponine smiled; it had been a long time since 'Parnasse had complemented her like that. He kissed her on the forehead and walked over to the wall.

"I can't believe you hit it that close on your first try!" He said, shaking his head. He then looked at her and asked suspiciously; "Are you sure that you've never thrown knifes before?" He sounded distrusting, but he had a smile on his face.

Eponine smiled too as she held up her hand, as if taking an oath. "I swear on my honor as a thief, that I have never thrown knifes before."

'Parnasse laughed. "What honor?!" Eponine laughed too. She then walked over to him and placed her arms around his neck. "

How did you learn to throw knifes like that?" 'Parnasse asked.

Eponine smiled. "From watching the master."

Montparnasse cocked an eyebrow as if to ask: "Who?" Eponine giggled. "You!" 'Parnasse smiled and kissed her lightly. And for once in Eponine's life, she felt as though life was worth living.
Sign up to rate and review this story