Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Here Is Your Verse

Bang the Doldrums

by killxsmile 3 reviews

it's the moment you've all been waiting for...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-03-17 - Updated: 2007-03-17 - 1221 words - Complete

1Exciting
Author's Note: This is what happens when you put Infinity On High on repeat. Enjoy.

hugs to PiecesInMe for reviewing. =]

Chapter Eight: Bang the Doldrums

Better off as lovers and not the other way around. Racing through the city, windows down, in the back of yellow checkered cars.
-Fall Out Boy

Emi's POV

He opened his mouth to say something, but I had already I bolted toward the red EXIT sign. It wasn't the most subtle route, but I took it anyways. Pushing past people on the dance floor, I could hear him calling my name.

Exactly why was I running? Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure. It was something about the way he looked at me-like I meant something to him. To most people, my situation would be one of those moments in a movie where you'd stop and go "Aww" at.

But this wasn't Say Anything. Think less high school love story, more high octane chase scene.

Luckily my feet were moving as fast as my thoughts were. Before you could yell 'MORON,' I found myself standing outside the club. Realizing that my car was sitting in my driveway, I hailed a cab. Within seconds a yellow checkered sedan pulled up in front of me. Just as I was opening the door, a hand pushed it shut. "Fuck."

"Please just give us a few minutes," he said through the window. I hoped against hope that the driver would tell him to 'fuck off.' Instead, he nodded and shifted into park. Pete shifted his gaze onto me. I could tell by the look on his face what he was going to ask.

"What do you mean 'I can't do this'?"
"It's exactly what it sounds like."
"So you can honestly say that you didn't feel anything back there?"
"Yes."
"Bullshit."
"Don't act like you know me."
"I know enough to see that you're afraid."
"And exactly what am I afraid of?"
"You tell me."
"I don't have time for this Pete..."
"Fine, I'll say it for you. You're scared of letting me in."
"What are you talking about?"
"You ran. Why would you do that if you weren't scared?" Crap. He's got me there.
"Because I can't stand to be around you...Pete, just stop wasting your time. I'm not worth the trouble. Ask anyone."
"I think you are." I sighed and stood there.
"Don't be an idiot..."
"Could you stop fighting me on this for one minute?" he asked, raising his voice.
"You first," I said, matching his tone.
"How mature of you." I rolled my eyes.

It seemed that our war of words would last all night. I needed to end it. FAST. I needed something that would hurt.

"Earlier you said I was the Andie to your Duckie," I said, using his own words against him. "They didn't end up together and neither will we." It seemed effective by the dejected look on his face.

"Goodbye Pete." I stepped into the cab and closed the door. "4355 East Parker," I told the driver. He nodded and pulled into traffic. I watched Pete disappear in the rear view mirror. "We're better off this way."

I stared out the window, trying to convince myself that I made the right decision. It wouldn't have worked out. He's a drama king-one of those complicated boys who always needs attention...

But for every one of his flaws, my brain spit something back at me.

He's too stubborn...
So are you.
He's overdramatic...
But sweet.
He has a giant ego...
Doesn't everybody?

With every passing streetlight, I was second-guessing myself. This boy was getting under my skin. Still, there was no way I was going to change my mind. Pete and I are shaky hands and nitroglycerine. Together we'd only lead to disaster.

A few miles away, I heard yelling from outside the cab. At night it seemed that crazy people roamed the streets of Chicago.
"Roll down your window!" someone shouted.
"I think it's your boyfriend," the driver said, pulling up to a stoplight.
"That guy back there wasn't my boyfriend," I said, shaking my head. "It's probably some drunk who got kicked out of a-" I was at a loss for words. "Bar."

Pulled up next to us was another cab. A cab with Peter Wentz in it.

"ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOW!"

I complied, only to yell back at him.

"What the hell are you doing, Pete?!"
"I'm trying to get you to understand!"
"Understand what? How intelligent you look right now?"
"Cut the sarcasm for a minute!"

The light turned green and we were in motion again. "$20 extra if you can lose the cab that's next to us." He nodded and I felt the car accelerating.

"I'll give you $50 extra if you keep us next to that cab," I heard Pete say.

As we sped up, but so did they. The simple task of getting home just became an uphill battle.

"Pete, this is insane! GO HOME!"
"Not until you hear me out." I groaned. Why won't he quit?!
"What's there to hear?!"
"A lot!"

Just then, we hit another intersection. FUCKING TRAFFIC. I'm only a few blocks away from home.

"Emi, just listen!" I put my fingers on the window controls, contemplating whether or not I should end the conversation. "Please!"
"Fine, you have until the light turns green."
"I like you. A lot. And I think you feel the same way...I saw it in your eyes at Borders and after I kissed you at the club. I didn't mean to be so straightforward back there, but I didn't know any other way to get to you."

Before I could say anything, we were off again. Within minutes the cab pulled up to my house. I ended up paying the driver the extra $20 for all the trouble. I stepped out of the car and practically ran toward the house.

I was fast, but not fast enough.

I didn't even make it past the patch of grass by the curb when I felt Pete put his hand on my shoulder. I turned around and he found that he was looking straight into my eyes.

"Pete, you've been driving me crazy these past few days!" I yelled. "First you spill hot coffee on me! Then you still stalked me at work, left a note on my porch, then wrote me a song! And just now, you paid a guy $50 to follow my taxi home so you could get your crazy message across?! I don't know what to-"

I pressed my lips against his, catching him, as well as myself, by surprise. All the thoughts I was trying to suppress came out at that instant. He may be overdramatic, stubborn and arrogant, but I liked him that way.

Putting my arms around his neck, I could swear that he was smiling into the kiss.

Exactly why was I denying this?

A combination of the cold weather and contact with his lips made me shiver. He seemed to sense it, and placed his arms around my waist. Everything about that moment seemed perfect.

Pulling away, he rested his forehead against mine.

"I want this," I whispered.
"Told you so," he said, with a smirk on his face.
"Shut up." I tilted my head up so our lips met again.
Sign up to rate and review this story