Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Okaeri

Chapter One

by blackberry 1 review

After the end of their quest, Inuyasha and Kagome adjust to life in modern Tokyo. But there are still secrets in the past, and dangers in the present. And finding a place to call home may be the mo...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Shippo - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-10-05 - Updated: 2005-10-05 - 2207 words

0Unrated
Prologue Disclaimer: Inuyasha and associated characters are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. Rated for language.
...
...
Chapter 1
...
...
...
...
Kagome floated up to consciousness from comfortable sleep, awakened in the darkness before dawn by the sound of Kaede moving about in preparation for the day. For a brief moment she was disoriented, until she remembered with a deep sense of relief exactly why they were here. Shippou still slept, a warm ball curled tightly at her side. She opened her eyes slowly, unwilling to move just yet; she still felt tired from the journey back. They had gotten in quite late last night, pushing on well after dark. Sango and Miroku had taken painful injuries in their final battle with Naraku nearly a week ago, and Kagome had been anxious to get them into Kaede's care, not trusting the efficacy of what she had done for them. They had the endurance of Inuyasha and Kirara to thank for being able to sleep here and not in another rough camp.

The old miko was heating water now, whether for poultices or for tea Kagome couldn't say. The wounded pair were lying together on the other side of the room, Kirara a tiny ball curled at their feet. They were sleeping the sleep of the exhausted; Kagome hoped that Kaede would leave them so for a little while longer. Miroku was evidently so tired that he didn't have a hand on Sango as they both slept, something that had been a constant every night since the battle. Kagome was amused that Sango no longer objected to it.

Kaede had noticed that her eyes were open, and brought her a cup of tea. Kagome struggled up out of the blankets to gratefully accept it, and sat for a moment, holding its warmth in her hands, before she thought to blow to cool it enough to drink. Shippou finally stirred at her side.

"Mmph ...Kagome, are you going home today?" the kit yawned, rubbing his eyes.

"Yes, Shippou-chan. I've got a lot of things to take care of, and I also want to tell my family that we're done with Naraku and the Shikon no Tama."

He looked up at her with some trepidation. "But you're coming back, right?"

Setting her cup down, she reached for the kitsune kit and gave him a reassuring hug. "Of course, Shippou. I might not come back as often, but I'm sure I'll be here a lot. I would miss you all, you know."

Shippou said nothing, but clung to her for a moment in return before pushing away. He then hopped up and wandered over to see if Kaede had any breakfast ready. Kagome picked up her cup again and drank her tea down, listening idly to his piping voice and the old woman's gravelly response, then surveyed the spread of her belongings across the room. With a grimace she noted the pile of schoolbooks that lay in one corner, untouched since she put them there nearly three weeks ago. Ugh, I have to get home. I've really fallen behind in studying, and I'm dead if I'm not prepared for final exams. She got up to begin packing.

Despite their care to be quiet, the movement of Kagome, Kaede and Shippou roused Sango; she sat up, levering herself on her arms with a wince. "Kagome-chan? Are you leaving?"

Kagome put her bag down and moved to Sango's side. Miroku was still sleeping heavily, so she endeavored to keep her voice low. "Yes, I'm going back. You and Miroku-sama should be alright now, with Kaede." Sango reached for her and gave her a wordless hug, conveying thanks for the care she had given them since the battle; carefully she returned the embrace, mindful of the taijiya's cracked ribs. After a moment, Kagome drew back to look at her friend from arm's length. "Sango-chan, please rest and get better. I'll be gone a few days, and then I'll come back to check on you," she whispered.

Sango nodded, smiling slightly. She looked tired and wan; a greenish bruise still darkened her forehead, but it was another pain that left its shadow on her face. "Please don't feel you need to hurry back, Kagome-chan. Go home to your family, and spend time with them."

Kagome ducked her head and nodded. Because I have a family to go home to.

"We'll be here for a long time recovering anyway. We still have to decide what we're going to do," Sango continued, glancing down at Miroku.

"You mean whether to stay here, or go to live with Mushin-sama?" Miroku had talked about settling at his foster-father's temple, now that the old man was getting on in years and could use someone young (and sober) to keep the buildings in good repair. "That's some distance away, Sango-chan," she said doubtfully. And it would be hard to visit you very often...

She smiled gently down at her fiancé before looking back up at Kagome. "I know," she said, seemingly aware of Kagome's unvoiced concern. She whispered conspiratorially, "But I think I would rather stay here. I could still see you often." Sango gave her a knowing grin. "And where you are, can Inuyasha be far behind?"

"Sango-chan..." Kagome, trailed off, embarrassed, and Sango laughed softly.

"Go on, Kagome-chan. We'll see you later." This time Kagome reached for Sango, and they embraced again, before Kagome reluctantly disengaged. She needed to get going.

The morning sky was tinged with the pink and gold of dawn by the time Kagome was ready to leave; it was late enough that many of the villagers were in the fields already. Kagome shouldered her heavy backpack and tried to think if she was forgetting anything; she tossed back the last of her second cup of tea and set the clay vessel down by the hearth. Sango had gone back to sleep, and Shippou had already wandered outside. Kaede caught her peering around the hut indecisively and took hold of her firmly.

"You have everything. Now go home and get some rest, Kagome. You all need it, and deserve it after what you've accomplished." The old woman smiled kindly as she walked the girl to the doorway of her hut. "You did a wonderful job of taking care of them, by the way. I doubt my sister could have done much better." Kaede gave her a serious look as they stopped by the door. "I'm very proud of you, you know."

Kagome swallowed as she returned the gaze. "Thank you, Kaede-bachan. We did our best." She looked down for a moment, and then looked back into the old miko's face. "I'll be back when I get things settled, and I...hope I can talk with you about...the things I know about now." She bit her lip. "I don't know what to do."

Kaede nodded. "I understand. I'm sure you have many questions. I will answer what I can." She smiled, a subtle joy and pride lighting her one eye as she gazed at her. "But Kagome, I think you will find that you will know what to do when circumstances call upon you. You generally have all along." With that she gently turned the girl to the door. "Now go home, and take care of yourself for a change."

"Believe me, Kaede-bachan, the first thing I'll do when I get home is to take a hot bath! Please take care of Miroku and Sango, and yourself, and I'll see you soon." Kagome pushed aside the reed mat covering the doorway and stepped outside. Kaede waved a last time from the door before turning back to her tasks.

Upon her emergence from the hut, Inuyasha hopped down from the roof to stand beside her. Kagome noted his quick, assessing glance-he'd been doing that the whole way back. She pointedly gazed back at him, but he just as quickly looked away.

"You going home?" he asked, noncommittally.

"Yeah. For a little while, anyway."

"Keh." He offered no other comment, but took her backpack from her to neatly sling it over his shoulder.

Their feet occasionally crunched on patches of frosty grass in low spots, a remnant of winter though spring was coming. Inuyasha walked beside her silently, while Shippou ranged about near them, chasing a bug here, examining something in the dirt there. Kagome focused her attention on her surroundings, breathing in the scent of the greening woods around them. One of the great things about being in the feudal age was how clean the air was, at least away from villages. It smelled good now, and it would smell even better once everything began blooming.

Their quest was over. She had thought, in the last few months, that if they won- if everything worked out the way it should, if there was justice in the world- they would all have the chance to be happy and everything would be great. She bit her lip as she thought of the lingering sadness in Sango's eyes. Well, everything's not so great. It's good in at least one way- no more Shikon no Tama. No shards to collect, no more monsters attracted by them. /She regarded Inuyasha's stiff back uncertainly as he walked slightly ahead of her now, his ears turning as he caught the sounds of birds and insects coming from the woods. Walking ahead to avoid conversation? /Kikyou's/ gone now, so Inuyasha doesn't have to worry about her anymore, but... She really wasn't sure what he thought, or felt. He had been tight-lipped, his face impassive for much of the journey back here, though he had stayed close to her. /I'm not going to push him. He's already said he'd take me back through the well whenever I want. I know he wants to see me, and he knows how I feel about him. At least I think he does.

They arrived at the well, and turning to Shippou first, Kagome leaned down and ruffled his hair playfully. He had grown a bit in the last three years since he'd joined them, not much, but enough to be too heavy for her to pick up anymore; he had yet to reach the stature of the typical nine-year-old he acted like. Right now, he leaned back with an affronted air, shaking his bangs back in place. She laughed and straightened. "Be good while I'm gone, Shippou-chan."

"As long as you're back soon," he sniffed, crossing his arms. "I can't guarantee that I'll be good if you take too long."

I think a certain hanyou is rubbing off on him. Or maybe Miroku is teaching him the art of negotiation...

"I can guarantee you'll have lumps on your head if you act up, brat," growled the hanyou in question. Shippou stuck his tongue out at Inuyasha.

"Shippou, behave. I'll be back soon, I promise." She smiled at him, then glanced at the weathered boards of the old well; did something feel different? A prickle ran down her spine, and she stared hard at it, but it was outwardly the same as ever. Must be my imagination. She hesitated a moment, looking down into the shaft, then climbed on the lip of the well where Inuyasha was already perched. "You're coming with me?" she asked, a little surprised. She didn't need his assistance to get home, just back here, not that she would turn down his company.

"You stuffed this bag with so much crap, I'm surprised you can carry it at all," he said gruffly. "I'll bring it home for you."

She smiled at him, pleased. "Thank you, Inuyasha." He looked away, flushing slightly, before looking back and irritably mumbling something about getting on with it. Taking his arm and a deep breath, she said "I'm ready." With her other arm she waved to Shippou, who waved back wistfully, and the two of them jumped into the well.

Almost immediately she felt something was wrong. She felt the sinking sensation and saw the bubbles of light as usual, but Inuyasha had disappeared right out of her grasp-she was alone. Where was he?

"INUYASHA!" Her scream sounded muffled and indistinct; she screamed his name again, and this time it echoed in the familiar shaft of the well as she landed on the dirt floor. She was definitely in her own time, as testified by the roof overhead and the wooden ladder. Where had he gone? The backpack rested on the floor next to her, but there was no sign of the hanyou. She climbed up the ladder a short distance and jumped down, hoping to activate the time slip, but the well seemed completely quiescent. This can't be happening! After all we've been through together, I have to see you! "INUYASHA!" She began to dig vainly at the floor of the well, casting about with her senses for any trace of his youki. It seemed that she could feel it faintly. Closing her eyes, she tried to find him, to bring him to her. Tears ran down her face, but she refused to let her throat close. She had to keep calling him. He had to come to her. A distant memory floated to the surface of her mind; power awoke and quested forth, seeking...





Sign up to rate and review this story