Categories > Original > Horror > gjnhjfdhns

Sanity Slips

by noisee 0 reviews

It's been doing that a lot, lately.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Horror - Published: 2007-03-27 - Updated: 2007-03-27 - 623 words - Complete

0Unrated


gjnhjfdhns: Part TWENTY: Sanity Slips

"What? What's wrong?"

I ran to the table next to the empty one and stared at the outline of the body underneath. It was there. The nose, the little pot-belly, the lips, you could see it all! How could it not be real? Tentatively, I pinched the edge of the sheet and pulled it, juuuust a little bit. The outline remained, meaning that this wasn't some fancy folding thing. I bit my lip and yanked it all the way off.

Nothing.

I stood in place, stunned, before running and yanking off the next one, and then the next one, and then the next one.

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

"GUYS!" I shouted, turning back to them, worried for my sanity. "Am I... Am I seeing things!? Or not seeing things?!" I waved a hand at the table. "Is there anything /here/!?"

They stared at me like I had gone insane. "There are bodies there, Hazel. What else do you think is under those sheets?" Kevin said.

I was close to tears. This was truly one of my worst nightmares- Losing my mind.

"I... I don't..." I looked back at the tables, before falling on my knees and slamming my eyes shut. "I don't see anything! There's nothing there! Nothing, nothing, /nothing/!" The tears were falling freely.

"It's okay," Marina said, patting my back, "you're just... Tired."

"It's this place." Angel knelt in front of me, looking worried. "This place is just making you see things."

"There aren't any bodies on those tables," I mumbled, sniffling. I put my hands over my face, trying to disappear into them. What they're saying was probably right, but I'd been tired before, I'd never experienced not seeing things. This place... It was stealing my mind. My most precious possession, and this messed up place was slowly tearing it apart!

"Hey, uhm... Look, guys!" Ale said, her voice panicky.

We three turned to where she was pointing, and we all gasped. The tables were empty. Even the ones which still had sheets on them. The thin blankets were as flat as an ironing board.

"What's going on!?" Marcello yelled, grabbing his head. "What the hell is wrong with this f-cking sh-thole!?"

There's nothing there

"I think... I think we all need some rest. This has gone on for way too long," Ale said, rubbing her forehead.

"Y-Yea... C'mon, Hazel, you just need sleep." Angel suggested.

I shook my head while I wiped the tears away with the back of my hand. "I can't sleep. I'll stay and watch... Providing I can see what I need to watch."

After some time convincing and then settling everyone in, we turned off the lights on the far side of the room.

"Sweet dreams... Haha..."

Cynical laughter followed that comment. I would've been surprised if it didn't. /'Sweet dreams'/, what an oxymoron, considering our predicament. We'd left my party to find my house ravaged, we ran down the street only to have to trap ourselves in the school, we met friends and later ended up fighting them for survival, we'd blown up the library, we'd landed in a cemetary, ran back into the school only to find it some kind of hellish hospital, we'd found a lobby painted with blood and the corpses where the blood came from, we'd had our most favourite foods turned into dead peoples, we'd almost entered an elevator that crashed, we'd walked for ages only to find that we, er, hadn't, and then we'd found ourselves locked in a room filled with dead people and then sleeping on the tables they were supposed to have been on.

Sweet dreams indeed.

Only Mitchell could say that with a straight face at a time like this.
Sign up to rate and review this story