Categories > Original > Romance > Sometimes, Life Doesn't Go As Planned

Sometimes, Life Doesn't Go As Planned

by Mandydee 0 reviews

"Catherine!", her mother grabbed her arm forcefully," I've been very tolerant of your stubbornness against this whole engagement for months. I've had enough.", her breath labored,"Your father and I...

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-03-29 - Updated: 2007-03-30 - 1507 words

0Unrated

_______________________________

Sometimes life doesn't always go as planned. The words of her parents echoed through her mind. When she was just a young one and she could no longer get the dress that had been promised, life didn't go as planned. When the other girls laughed at her in her old worn dress, life didn't always go as planned. But this, this was the most shining example of her parent's favorite phrase. Her new life. The life that stood before her, the life she had never dreamt of all those nights as a little girl. He new life as Mrs. Catherine Burnington.

It's amazing what people will do when money is waved in front of their drooling faces. The people you think you know most, your loved ones, it didn't matter, money is stronger. Money had been dropped in front of her parent's faces and they took of running with it.

"Catherine.", his deep husky voice made her shudder as his cold palm engulfed her shoulder. She gazed at the mirror in silence as she studied the image before her. Her brunette hair fail perfectly on her shoulders, with her makeup without flaw. She had sat for hours as the maids attempted to get it this way. And of course, there he was. A grin showed on his face as his bottom lip curled up distinctively showing of his many wrinkles. The hair on his head was thinning and mostly white, with a hint of what once was a bold brown which he clung so desperately onto.

James Burnington was thirty-five years her senior. Lets just say, he was far from the prince charming she use to dream about on so many nights,"Darling.", his voice was smooth as he breathed into her ear,"You've been absent long.", he outstretched a long hand,"Come. The guests are starting to wonder."

A sigh escaped her lips as she looked down at the wedding dress and proceeded to brush out any imperfections and stood up. The new couple had been officially wed not a meer three hours ago. His hand took her as they made their way to the exit. Her thoughts wavered as all she could do was stare at the back of his head in disappointment.

______________________

"Catherine", he mother, Bridgette whispered paces behind her. Her daughter paid her no mind as she continued to brush her hair in front of the large vanity. It had been over three days since her wedding night. Every one of those days dragged on slower than the last. Her new husband didn't talk to her much, not that she minded, he was of completing 'gentleman' affairs.

Heels clicked on the brown marble floors as the older woman proceeded to come just inches from being able to grasp her daughter. However, her daughter still did not move from her position as she continued to act as if her mother was not present.

"How have you been?", Bridgette waited a full minute with no response,"Everyone talks about it. We miss you.", Catherine's nose proceeded to shrivel up in disgust as she still did not respond. Her mother's long slim fingers came to stroke her daughter's hair, but before she could so much as brush it, her daughter stood up.

"Thank you for your visit, Mother.", her voice threatened to crack as she tried to remain calm. She then turned on her skit and when to leave.

"Catherine!", her mother grabbed her arm forcefully," I've been very tolerant of your stubbornness against this whole engagement for months. I've had enough.", her breath labored,"Your father and I had to do this."

Catherine's eyes began to water," I didn't want to marry him. I didn't want to be his wife."

Bridgette's eyes seemed to show no mercy,"Everyone must do things they don't want to."

"He is older than you, Mother!", rage seemed to overcome her sadness at this point,"I don't love him.", she whispered.

Her mother's gripped loosened,"You will learn to love him darling."

"Oh, of course!", her daughter scoffed,"Just like you so loyally loved father."

Bridgette's eyes narrowed as she took a step forward almost daring her daughter to continue,"I love your father."

"And that's why you saw all our stableman behind his back for all those years.", she shrugged,"Your right mother you do love him.", she told her sarcastically.

That struck a cord deep in the heart of her mother as she brought her hand up and struck her daughter violently across the cheek. Catherine held her cheek in shock as she looked down at her shoes and touched the red hand print on her face.,"Do you think of anyone, but yourself?", she spat as she clenched down on her jaw so tightly her teeth began to sting,"You have three younger brothers who had nothing. No future ahead of them. We had no money. Do you know how much it hurts not knowing if you'll be able to feed your kids the next day?", she paused and breathed deeply,"You'll never have to worry about what your father and I had to worry about for so many years. We won't have to worry about our financial issues for years!", she sighed as her voice lowered," And what about you, Catherine? You will never have to worry a day in your life. You will live cosily with a decent husband for the rest of your prime. Think about that, Catherine. Think about that."

She then turned on her heels and made her way to the door.

"This isn't what I wanted...", he daughter sobbed softly.

Her mother cocked her head in her direction as she opened the door,"Sometimes life doesn't always go as expected.", and with that she shut the door with a harsh thud.

________________________



Two days had passed since her enounter with her mother. The bright sun glared deep into her pupils as she gazed at the small table before her. Three bland petite women sat in there perfect dresses before her. All of which were at least as hold as her mother, and twice as stiff and snooty. This was to be her daily social outing for her day. The brunette only saw James in the evenings. These visits were very awkward and quiet. It seemed the older man had stopped even attempting to charm her life he had so many times before.

"Catherine?", she looked to the small lady in purple, Angelina,"More tea?", she asked as the maid next to her held a small pitcher. Catherine shook her head,"No, thank you.", she sighed as she breathed into her cup.

"I'm afraid I will be leaving your company early today ladies,"the tallest of the three, whom had not given her name, prepared to grab her belongings,"My husband is expecting me early for the dinner party."

Catherine slowly nodded but stopped abruptly as something in the distance caught her attention. She saw her husband walking in the garden with a woman. Angelina saw this as she turned her attention to them.

"Who is that?", the young brunette questioned as she squinted her eyes in hopes of a better view. The woman had long black hair as it swayed behind her brushing her hips, with it she had on a dark red gown that complimented her hair very nicely. She guessed she was in her late thirties. Even the most picky of men would not hesitate to admit she was pretty.

Angelina raised and eyebrow,"Antonette, of course.", she said simply and waited for the confused look to leave the younger one's face,"Not met her yet? Figure you'd bumped into her by now", she murmured taking a long sip of tea,"Antonette Green. Mr. James, 'close' companion. They've known each other for years and don't seem to ever be too far apart.", she placed her finished glass back on the table clothe,"Many.", her voice got lower,"Many can't believe they weren't married", she paused,"Many still think they will be."

Catherine's bottom lip curled as she watched the pair. Antonette bent down to pick up a flower as James stood there looking at her with nothing, but complete adoration. The pair then proceeded to take there exit,

"Of course people will talk.", Angelina smiled and began to make her leave,"Nice meeting with you dear."

The young brunette paid no attention as she thought for the moment. She must have looked a fool. Her husband walked around with another woman. Her eyes narrowed as anger struck her hard. Catherine reached a hand to the table top and she proceeded to much herself up. It was no easy task mind you, as her corsette tugged at her hips and labored her breathing. She could never imagine wearing these everyday.

She strode forward as she went in search of James. She might have not wanted to marry. She might not have wanted to be his wife, but she'd be damned if he was going to go around fooling with another woman.
Sign up to rate and review this story