Categories > Original > Romance > Wolf's Heart

A Telling

by Blackraven 0 reviews

you know the drill

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-01 - Updated: 2007-04-01 - 1655 words

0Unrated
Chapter One: A Telling

"Oh, excuse me, I am so sorry," I cried as I bumped into someone and they fell to the pavement. It was an elderly woman.
She smiled up at me, a kindly expression across her features, "Are we in a hurry?" she chuckled. She took my offered hand and stood, adjusting her large bifocals on her small nose. Her hair was iron gray and her eyes were a bright, clear blue that reminded me of the bright blue sky that was above me. There was not a cloud in the sky, the sun beat down on my dark hair; scorching my scalp. In the middle of September, it was scorching. There were going to be storms starting tomorrow, though. So hopefully it would cool down.
I smiled, "No, Grandmother, I'm not in a hurry. I simply wasn't watching where I was going, I am truly sorry," I apologized sincerely. My black skirt blew sideways in the wind, making me have to clamp down on the silk fabric to keep it from showing more than I desired. My violet blouse blew about my small frame, whipping around my arms. Briefly I wondered what this woman's element was.
"Well, if you don't have much to do, how about you come to my shop and I shall give you a telling. By the way, dear; my element is Light," added the woman snidely.
I raised my eyebrows, shocked. But it did make sense. Most people with the light element were able to read minds or see the future. Maybe this woman could do both.
In the world, everyone is born with an element, no matter what species they are. Be they werewolf, vampire, or human; they'll have an element. The common elements are water, fire, earth, and air. The rare ones are metal, light and dark. Dark is possible the rarest; one out of every fifty people possess it.
I'm the lucky one out of fifty.
I shrugged, why not go and see if this woman could see anything about me. I doubted she could, I had put up so many shields around myself that almost no one even knew what I really looked like anymore. It was just as well, to keep myself safe from certain things and people.
"So you'll come? That's great! I've been wanting to do a good telling!" the woman exclaimed, whistling. She latched onto my arm, strong for her small size. She started leading me towards one of the many subdivisions in Clarksville, Indiana.
"How do you know I'll be a good reading?" I asked, confused. I followed the woman without any dispute. My curiosity was piqued. My hair blew around my face as the wind picked up, it looked like the storm was going to hit early.
The woman gave a short bark of laughter, "I can always tell dear!" she called above the wind. Her grey hair escaped from its tie and blew around her shoulders, giving her a strangely mysterious air.
It took about five minutes to get to her house. As soon as we walked in the door the rain hit, pelting against the living room windows of the woman's house. She disappeared into the back for a moment before coming back with a small velvet bag. When we had been out front I had seen that her garage had been converted into a small shop filled with dream catchers, chakra candles, tarot cards, and other spiritual or magical things. I wasn't interested; my powers involved creating illusions or killing people without a sound.
"Come, sit at the table!" called the woman. She had sat at a small card table in front of a dusty T.V. She had the bag clutched in her hands, smiling at me. The only light were two candles sitting on each side of the table.
I obliged, pulling the chair out to sit on the other side of the table, across from her. The woman was still smiling. She held the burgundy bag out to me.
"Take three objects from the bag, my child," she instructed me, her voice low and mystic. Her eyes seemed to dim as she concentrated her magic.
I reached my hand into the bag, feeling around inside. They were minute objects, maybe two and a half inches across. I felt around for a few quick seconds more and finally picked out three objects that interested me. I wasn't quite sure whether I was supposed to be attracted to three items, or what. All I know is that I just picked three random items and put them on the table.
The items I had laid out were: a small, black star, a silver teardrop, and a black wolf's head. The only item I was truly interested in was the wolf's head.
The woman looked down at the items and blinked. The sky blue that was in her eyes swirled around her pupil, giving her eyes a strange and hypnotic look.
She began by moving the black star a few inches in front of the other two objects, "The dim star," she began. "Symbols a dark path that has gone out; you will be in the dark as long as you follow your chosen path. You will not be guided by a single light; you will face many dangers, none of which you will see coming."
She picked up the teardrop, putting it with the star, "the silver tear, symbolizing a frozen anguish deep inside of you. But if you remove this sadness from your life, it will not leak into the other aspects of your path. Also, someone who you hoped was gone will come back, and in a very short amount of time"
My face contorted, could she be talking about my brother?
Last her hand lingered over the wolf head, "The black wolf. You are hiding something, something about your existence from everyone in the world. You have also made a mysterious encounter with someone who could be anything from dangerous to timid. You will not forget this encounter and you will see this person again. I suggest being weary, I do not know what this person will spell for you and your future," the teller concluded. She pulled the objects back into the bag and disappeared again. When she came back she seemed to be in deep thought.
"How far away do you live?" she asked me suddenly.
"Uh...well....I don't have a home," I muttered. I shifted in my seat, trying to make myself smaller. If I had a tail it would be tucked between my legs in shame.
"What? Well of course you are welcome to stay here, if only for tonight. Tomorrow I will have some things put together for you, dear; that may help you on your journey," the woman promised.
I cocked my head, "why are you doing this for me?" I asked. I got up from my chair, taking a step towards her.
The woman smiled a motherly expression on her face. "Why, dear; I simply wish to help you out, I make a habit of helping out stray dogs," she replied. She didn't give me time to answer; instead she bustled over and put some blankets and pillows on the sofa.
"You can sleep here," she announced. It was nearly ten o'clock so I complied, going over to the sofa and laid down as the woman walked upstairs. I was asleep in a few moments.
A crack of thunder made me sit straight up off the couch. I looked around and saw the old woman at a table in the next room, drinking something out of a mug. In front of her sat a pack that was stuffed full.
I got up and padded into the kitchen. Sitting at the opposite place on the table was a nice, hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast.
The woman gave a kind smile, "Sit, eat; please. I have here for you some supplies, most of it from my shop. I think you should have given it a chance before you wrote it off," she scolded.
I blinked sleepily, sitting at the table and eating a piece of bacon in one bite.
The woman patted the pack and said," inside are four changes of clothes, all medium. There's also a cloak in there, for the cold days ahead, it is fur lined and guaranteed to be warm. There is a dagger, a bit of food, four bottles of water and money. It's enough money to get you through a long while. I won't take no for an answer, it is my duty to see that you get through. I want you to succeed in life, and your path is a hard one." She pulled out a long, wrapped package from underneath her chair, "this is perhaps the most magical item I own." She unwrapped the package slowly.
Slowly, a sword was revealed. A beautiful, silver sword; thankfully it wasn't real silver. I could tell because silver smells terrible for me. In the hilt was set an amethyst that matched my eyes; and the handle was in the shape of a wolf head.
"I can't thank you enough," I gasped, handling the sword to get a feel for it. I had taken eight years of fencing and had won many trophies and medals.
"Please, don't mention it, dear. I simply want you to live a happy life," a look appeared over her face, "or as good as it will get for you. I am not sure how well your life will go, but I do know it will be magnificent. Good Luck," she whispered the last two words.
I nodded and held out my hand. She took it and gave it a gentle squeeze. I nodded to her and walked out of her front door. The sky outside was cloudy, but at least it wasn't storming. Yet.
Sign up to rate and review this story