Categories > TV > Star Trek: Voyager

Socks

by Urgo_the_Observer 4 reviews

Voyager finds a wormhole and solves a 350 year old mystery. Just a little story I wrote a year ago.

Category: Star Trek: Voyager - Rating: G - Genres: Humor - Published: 2005-10-16 - Updated: 2005-10-16 - 567 words - Complete

2Funny
Disclaimer: This is a fanfiction site. Therefore anything posted here is usually fanfiction. Fanfiction, by definition, is written by those who do not own what they write about. If they did, it would not be fanfiction, and it would not be posted here.

Captain's log, Stardate 48497.2.
We have been in the Delta Quadrant for over a month now, and we still haven't found any way to shorten the journey ahead of us. However, I haven't given up hope of finding a shortcut back to the Alpha Quadrant.





The comm chimed as Captain Janeway finished her log entry. "Captain, you might want to come to the Bridge, we've found something you'll want to see." Chakotay said.

"On my way," answered the Captain as she made her way to the turbolift.

A short while later, the turbolift stopped at the Bridge. "What is it?" Janeway asked as she stepped out of the turbolift.

"Sensors indicate that there is a wormhole approximately 500,000 kilometers ahead," Ensign Kim reported.

"Take us out of warp, Mr. Paris. Mr. Kim, I want a probe readied to send through the wormhole," Janeway ordered.

"Dropping out of warp," Paris said.

"The probe will be ready in five minutes, Captain," Kim said.

Janeway sat down in her chair and waited until they were at the wormhole. "Mr. Kim, is the probe ready?" she asked.

"Yes, Captain." Kim replied.

"Launch probe," Janeway ordered.

"Probe away," Kim reported. "It's entering the wormhole," he paused as the probe flew away from Voyager towards the wormhole. "Now." Everyone on the Bridge watched as the wormhole opened and admitted the probe.

As soon as the wormhole closed, Kim lost contact with the probe. "It's gone, Captain," he said.

"All right, we'll take a shuttlecraft, retrieve the probe and see what's on the other side. Mr. Paris, Tuvok, you're with me."

"Aye, Captain," the two said simultaneously.

Five minutes later, the shuttlecraft left Voyager's docking bay and headed for the wormhole. It opened as it did for the probe, and they proceeded through. When they emerged, the shuttle's sensors immediately detected the probe.

As they proceeded to the probe, something impacted the forward window. The three in the shuttlecraft stared at it in amazement.

"It appears to be a sock," said Tuvok in his usual matter-of-fact manner.

"Yes, but what would a sock be doing out here?" asked Janeway. The cabin of the shuttle fell silent as the three contemplated the significance of a seemingly random article of clothing floating around in deep space. Suddenly, another sock stuck to the window. This one, however, was blue, when the first was green. These two socks, having enjoyed their stay on the window, invited all their sock buddies to join them. This provided an opportunity for the three inside the now covered shuttle to observe that all the socks were different.

Tom Paris suddenly had an idea. "This is where all the socks disappeared to!" he stated.

"What?" asked Janeway, clearly not understanding the reference.

"During the twentieth century, there was a common household appliance called a washer. It was used to, as the name implies, wash clothes. There was another appliance that was used to dry the clothes when they came out of the washer. This appliance was blamed for the disappearance of the occasional sock. Apparently, the missing socks came here." Paris elaborated.



And so, the mystery of the sock-eating dryer is solved.
Sign up to rate and review this story