Categories > Original > Romance > The Lighter Side of Love

4. Decisions

by kei_sainter 0 reviews

Decisions have to be made in life, sometimes we make the wrong ones and suffer consequences.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-04-06 - Updated: 2007-04-06 - 2318 words - Complete

0Unrated
4. Decisions


Yani- 06 July


Another day at the orphanage was enough to really show me that I was on the right career path.
There were moments in a day when I just had to collect myself or I may break down.

They were so vibrant.
So full of life.
Yet the promise in which their future was being held with was on such a flimsy string that only one drawback could have serious consequences.
When people think 'third world country' they usually think of Africa, but the truth is that the South Americans are struggling too.

But it was such a big problem that may never go away.
It was troubling to worry about something you knew you couldn't fix on your own.

'You're looking thoughtful,' my dad commented.

I looked at him and smiled reassuringly, 'Just thinking about my day.'

'Anything bad happen?' he asked.

'No... well nothing that doesn't happen every day.'

He nodded like the wise man that he is.

'You see what happens to our children and wonder what we have in store for the future?' he asked.

I nodded.

'Just remember Yani, not everything in this life is purely good. And not everything is purely bad either.'

Then he squeezed my shoulder before leaving me alone with my thoughts.
I decided to sit outside on the veranda overlooking the street.
Usually that's where my great aunts sit and smoke while watching the kids play soccer on the street or some other game-- but tonight was bingo night.

I took a seat and just allowed myself to watch the game with as much concentration as I would an AFL match at the Telstra Dome back home.

They kids had taken a break for dinner when I saw a familiar figure arriving.

It was Diego, looking nice in his work shirt and pants, running out from his car and into his house.
I told myself that he's probably just wanting to get out of the dust and grime of the day and he'll come out soon to say hi later.

I was right, he did come out soon enough.
But he didn't say hi.
His hair was wet-- he must've taken a shower.
And his clothes were clean and ironed.
He immediately got into the car but then remembered something.

I saw him kiss his mother's cheek when she extend a boquet of pink flowers to him.
He took it and placed it next to him in the car before driving off.

He's going on a date?

+++


Rach- 06 July


It's been three days since we arrived in the first of the three small towns we were splitting our summer across.
They were all within 30kms of each other, but because the only way to get around was a jeep which carried across the rough terrains-- that or walking, it was pretty secluded.

All of us were staying together in Hope (it was actually called something else that was extremely long and hard to pronounce, so the locals gave us its English translation) for the first week, but after that-- we'd be going in groups of 3.

So one village would be unattended for every so often days.
I didn't mind.
The people were very nice, and aside from a threat of some dangerous snakes (which wasn't a threat as all since Australia housed some of the most venomous snakes in the world) and wild animals, everything was nice and tranquil.

Everyone too-- except for Poppo.

No one had managed to uncover his true name.
There was a pool going on it.
My guess was on 'Winthrop' only because it was the weirdest name that I'd ever come across.

Poppo... how do I explain him?

It's really very hard.
I mean Paul: easy-going, smart and funny.
Bishop: easy-going, smart and funny.
Rusty: take-charge, smart and friendly.
Jamilla: take-charge, smart and friendly.

So in theory, Poppo would be... like me?
But heck, I don't even understand myself.

He's always willing to lend a hand (like me).
But kind of sits back and watches as well (like me).

But while he doesn't like to get involved in conversations, I'm a bit of a loud-mouth.
Where I like to think things through, he likes to go by instinct.

I just didn't understand him.

'Oi Rach, you're looking very pensive?'

We were in the 'hospital house' which was a building built by Young Medics as a medical base for Hope.
We were stocktaking the first batch of equipment we'd taken with us.

'Big words, Bishop.' I teased.
'Come on, out with it.'

'Its kind of embarrassing really...'

'Poppo.'

'What?' I stared at her.

'You were thinking about him. Is it because he calls you Blue-- because I agree, that is kind of mean. I thought he'd get over it once you weren't amused, but he hasn't let up has he?'

'Nope. He's not once called me Rach. Because of that, some of the kids now call me Blue-- or the equivalent of Blue in their language.'

Bishop laughed and I laughed too-- not because I found it THAT funny, but because I didntwant Bishop knowing that I was constantly thinking about a guy called Poppo.

If the girls could see me now, they'd bag me forever.

+++


Emi- 07 July


'You're not REALLY going to go are you?' Camie demanded over the phone.

'Yeah, why shouldn't I?'

'Because you don't KNOW the guy?' Camie reasoned.

Yeah, that reason seemed fair enough.
In fact, it'd passed by my thoughts about a million times since Armaud offered to take me around Stolberg once I felt better (which I did).
I hated tablets, capsules and the like-- but felt reasonably well enough after the initial one to go out and get a special syrup medication.

And now, a few days later-- everything was back in good working order.
Too bad I was slowly running out of time to get all my shots.

Armaud insisted that he knew all the places in Stolberg to visit.
And some that I wouldn't have heard of except for from a local.

'I thought you were English,' I asked him suspiciously.

'My father's German, my mother's English-- I went to a boarding school in Switzerland where all my friends had English accents,' he explained joyfully.

'Ah.'

That also seemed like a fair enough answer.

'So how about it?' he'd asked, looking down at me with that friendly face.

They say its always the nice once that you have to look out for.
But the same goes for quiet people and I'm a quiet person.
He didn't LOOK like a criminal to me though.

Yes I was nervous.
But... for some reason I knew I could trust him?
Would be stupid if I turned up dead in an alleyway a few days later-- but until then...

'Sure, I suppose. If you have nothing better to do.'

--

'Emi... are you still there?' Camie demanded again from the phone line.

'Yep.'

'Have you even asked him why if he's a German native-- who went to a real expensive boarding school-- that he's staying at a youth hostel?'

'Yep.' I said proudly.

I didn't like to ask a lot of questions, but this was my safety.
I suppose there was always a certain point when your usual mannerisms are put on hold?

'Well?'

'He says that it's because he's supposed to be visiting a family friend for a few weeks but he didn't want to go so he's hiding out for a bit.'

'Rubbish.'

Once again I agreed.
It didn't seem much of a viable answer.
But here I was still about to go out with the guy.

There was a knock on the door.
'Camie I've got to go!'
'Emi, don't!'

But I told her I'd be alright and put the phone down.
I opened the door to find Armaud, not looking at all like the guy I'd seen the past few days.
His hair was actually BRUSHED and his clothes were casual-yet there was a hint of class in them.

Now I was a bit nervous.

'You ready to go?'

'No,' I paused, you only live once right?, 'I just need to check my film for my camera and get some extra batteries for my digital.'

+++


Camie- 07 July


It's the day after my birthday.
It doesn't seem like it.
I've been in lockdown in January's apartment since I met Johnie for the first time on the 5th of July.

Let's just say that it wasn't the reaction I'd hoped for.

'Hey Johnie, I've got a friend who wants to meet you--' I heard January say.

I'd been hiding just outside the door to the living room where Johnie had enterred.
My heart was thudding immensely and I thought I was going to hurl.
I had begun taking steps back and willing my cousin with my non-existent telepathic powers to NOT do this.

Obviously it didn't work.

'Oh? Who?' Johnie asked complacently.

'Camie come and meet Johnie,' January announced, almost like a game-show host.

I took a step around the corner and found myself staring at one of the best looking guys that I'd ever seen.
I think I felt tears in my eyes.
I'd been with Johnie for years, but I didn't really believe that I would meet him-- not since every other time we tried-- plans were botched.

His eyes widened with recognition.
His mouth dropped open as though he wanted to ask a question.

'Camie?' he whispered, 'what are you doing here?'

I'd expected him to come rushing towards me and hug me and kiss me.
But he didn't.
He did come towards me and he took my hands in his and kissed me on the cheek.
The boy was in shock.

The joy that I'd expected didn't come.
I knew that he actually wanted an answer to his question.

'I came to visit my cousin and to surprise you. I've been here for a week.'

'You didn't tell me?' he cast a glance at January.

'It was a surprise,' I answered for her.

His hands were now cold and clammy and he sort of pushed back.
I immediately let him go.
In a way he was still a stranger to me.
I'd never smelt his aftershave before, or known the heat of his skin, or really knew how much taller he was than me.

Was I equally as 'unreal' to him as he was to me?

Was that why he seemed to be withdrawing?

'Johnie?' I asked quietly.

'Sorry Camie... I'm glad you're here, really I am. But I need to-- think about this,' he was stammering.

I didn't even know he stammered.
He kissed me on the cheek, and a sensation flared within me.
There was feel to where he'd shaved just a few days ago.

Then he was gone.

And I was left wondering what the hell had just happened.
And whether it was a good thing or bad thing.

Happy birthday to me!

+++


Kei- 08 July


Turtle Cove Beach is awesome!

I'd thought there'd be nothing to do but surfing and swimming.
But I was wrong.
There were clambakes.
There were beach soccer competitions.
Beach volleyball competitions.
A mall with a cinema that showed 80's movies (Emi would've loved it, I'd already seen some of the faves).

I personally think it was to keep all the non-swimming people entertained so that they didn't feel forced to go into the water.
So that there would be minimised risks.

I'd spent the first few days with Avery, but that was until he decided that he was too cool for me.
Nah, just joking.
He was asked to stand in as lifeguard and apparently it pays real well.
He'd said I could visit him any time, which I did-- but mostly I went to the library, stocked up on some books and went back to the shack to read.

Except for tonight.
Tonight I had a date.

Simon had asked me out after I'd played in a five on five beach soccer game.
I'd sort of seen it coming since he'd play tackled me and he'd kind of landed on top of me.
Heck-- I wasn't complaining-- he had a NICE body.

But obviously in the day time, Simon may be a good catch, but at night he was a total shark.
He'd been sleazy.
The moment we'd sat down at the bar, he'd tried to make out with me.
I tried to divert him by shoving food in my mouth-- but you can only eat so much.
Then his hands started to wander.

'Stop it!' I said, pushing him back.

'Come on babe...' he insisted.

'I said stop!' I said a bit more urgently, still unwilling to make a scene.

'She said stop!' suddenly I was one entity again and Simon was unwillingly out of the booth, 'you-- get up now,' (that was to me)

'You, say your sorry--' (that was to Simon)

'Sorry,' he muttered.

'Let's go,' It was Jed who'd come to my rescue.

Not my cousin Brian, not Duncan the brave, not Avery my bestie-- but Jed, whom I hadnt seen much of for the past few days.

'Thanks for that--'

'What were you thinking?' he demanded.

'What?'

'What were you thinking going out with such a sleaze like him? Without telling anyone. Without one of us?'

'I'm sorry, I missed the sign on his head that said 'sleaze'. And I did tell Julia. And why do I need a chaperone.'

'Because you're small.'

I stared at him, his brown eyes blazing at me-- I'd never seen a guy so angry at me, for anything let alone going out on a date, 'Get lost!'

I tried to walk away but his hand clasped on my arm and he began to drag me home, I was too tired (or grateful) to fight him.

+++


A/N: So how was that guys? Well on with the story I say. Love Kei
Sign up to rate and review this story