Categories > Original > Mystery > The Assignment

Pierre's Sacrifice

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Sometimes people aren't what they seem.

Category: Mystery - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2007-04-12 - Updated: 2007-04-13 - 597 words

0Unrated
Pierre sped home praying that Monica was safe, he knew that if Lucius was still alive. He would be out for revenge. He arrived back at the house and ran inside, Monica came out of the kitchen. "Pierre are you okay?" She asked as he embraced her, "you've been acting very odd lately Pierre pulled her down the hall, "I can't explain now." He said as he grabbed their suitcase and began throwing clothes into it. "Just trust me, we have to leave right now."
"I'm afraid I can't permit that,"Lucius said from the doorway, Pierre turned abruptly pushing Monica behind him. "You and I have a score to settle," Lucius said as he pulled out a gun. "You attempted to murder me, but you did a pitiful job, you knocked me out when you hit me, but I wasn't dead. I woke after tumbling down the ravine. I lay there for hours in execrating pain, until finally I got up the strength to drag myself away." Lucius gestured toward the bed with the gun. "Both of you over there where I can keep a eye on you." He smiled wickedly, "I'm going to do the same thing you did to me Pierre, except I'll make sure you're dead." Pierre gazed at Monica, who was pale and shaking, "I'm sorry that I involved you in this." Than he tackled Lucius, grabbing for the gun. They dropped to the floor grappling for the gun, Lucius struck Pierre and knocked him out. Pushing Pierre off him, Lucius stood up, breathing heavily and pointed the gun at Monica. "Stupid, Rene, very stupid" he said as he cocked the gun, "now I'm going to kill your wife." Pierre quickly rolled over, ramming into Lucius's legs, sending him to the floor. He attempted to wrest the gun away from Lucius and they wrestled on the floor. Lucius seized the gun from Pierre and shot him, Monica screamed as Pierre dropped to the floor and didn't move. Lucius turned around and cocked the gun at her, Monica froze, "you don't have to do this," she whispered. "You can turn around right now, this doesn't have to go any farther." Lucius cocked the gun, "oh but it does,"he said. A shot rang out and Monica flinched, Lucius looked down in surprise at the bullet hole in his chest. Pierre stood up holding a smoking gun. "I killed you bastard, Lucius whispered falling over dead. "I love you Monica," Pierre whispered, than he fell over. Monica knelt by Pierre's side, "don't die," she begged. "I need you, I love you." Pierre opened his eyes and tried to smile, "you were the best thing that ever happened to me." He whispered, lifting a hand to stroke back her hair."I love....." his hand dropped as the life left his body, Monica stared into his sightless eyes and dropped her head on his chest, weeping with sorrow.

A Year Later
Monica laughed as she swung her daughter Rene around. Than set her on the ground, "come on pumpkin," she said as she gripped her daughter's hand. It's time for lunch, as they walked away from the gravestone, Monica looked back one more time. Pierre had died to save her and their daughter, but she knew a small part of him would always be with her. Rene dropped her mother's hand and ran ahead, Monica smiled, life goes on even when those we love die. She would always miss Pierre, but she knew he was always with her, that his spirit always stood beside her eternally.
Sign up to rate and review this story