Categories > Original > Horror

Together for Eternity and a Day

by Xavernus 0 reviews

All three would be together for the last time.

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-15 - Updated: 2007-04-15 - 1398 words - Complete

0Ambiance
This is not based on anything that I know of, any resemblances to real people are purely a mistake.

----

It's windy today, that's the first thing he notices as he grips the hands of his friends. No, they are more than that, something much more special, much more then friends, but he wouldn't care to bother anyone who corrected them on this damp day, with the wind whipping hair across faces, and the light drizzle making that each strike across the skin like little lashes from a whip.

And still, she's smiling at him, that bright, cheerful smile that just melts his heart and makes him want to kiss her straight away again. Instead, all he does is return his affection by squeezing her hand and giving a bright smile of his own in return, glad that she is here with him, today of all days.

And on his other side, he's also smiling at him, but his is the more reserved smile of the two, his ironic laughter quiet as they wait in line to go up the Empire State building, his foot tapping impatiently on the pavement, and he gives him a wane smile, his arm around his waist a comforting warmth that he is glad for.

No one really notices the three of them, their lack of cameras, and their lack of raincoats, as umbrellas begin to go up against the drizzle that could now be constituted as rain. She smiles more and turns her face to the sky, the drops splashing down onto her face and making her even wetter, which they both chide her for, but she hardly cares at this point.

Today is such a glorious day; he can see it in her eyes.

Their tickets are paid. The marble and bronze of the building gleam in their eyes, and they all feel like sprinting around, and he, the instigator of this little thing, goes and touches each and every last piece that he can find, smoothing his hand over the walls, and closing his eyes, knowing this might be the last time he ever sees or feels something like this again. That ticket was damn expensive after all, he reflects, and gives a look in the other boy's direction, knowing that he was thinking the same thing, and smiling at that.

And it's back in line for them again, with the one boy humming a tune that's familiar to most of them under his breath, even if he's not one for singing. Even in anxious times, it draws people to do things they would not normally do. They're all three in the line for the stairs, and he stops humming, only for the other boy to burst into song, causing embarrassment to the girl, making her blush as people begin to look, even as she and the boy laugh.

There's a lady whose sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.


She tells him to stop, he doesn't. He tells him to stop, and he does, but only once strong hands are clamped over his mouth. The girl whispers that people are staring, and once his mouth his free, he replies that she really shouldn't care about other people, an arm twisting around her waist and pulling her close. She leans her head on his shoulder and sighs, her smile back as she asks the question of what are we going to do with you.

None of them say the answer that comes immediately to mind.

They take the stairs as fast as they can, the crush of people causing them to be separated time and time again, and the boy is left alone once more as he leans against the side and sighs, waiting for them to just hurry up before they all lose their cool, before their medication wears off and makes them think rationally, so to speak. He catches up with the other boy again, and the two of them make small talk, joking around, until they catch up with the girl again, who's hugging herself in impatience.

They've made it to the top.

They want to cheer at their brilliance, to say congratulations, but things are not yet done with. There is still one more act to do, but they take this time to have a bit of fun. The girl gives her phone to the boy and takes the other boy by the arm, dragging him over and kissing him fully for the camera, as he snaps a picture. This process is repeated a few times, along with pictures taken on phones of the three of them together, smiling happily.

Texts are made. Good byes are said through digital letters, with pictures attached. None of them are in tears as they do all of this, leaning against the edges as if just daring to let them through the glass and to let them fall. The boy sings one last song, with the other two laughing and doing nothing to stop him. The girl hums a tune that only one recognizes, and he smiles to hear it.

It was his favorite song and so fitting for the girl and boy.

You hold me so close that my knees grow weak.
But my soul is flying high above the ground.
I'm trying to speak but no matter what I do
I just can't seem to make any sound.

And then you took the words right out of my mouth.
Oh it must have been while you were kissing me.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
And I swear it's true,
I was just about to say I love you.


With the last traces of the song floating through the air, they all duck under the 'Do Not Enter: Hazardous' sign that is placed over a piece of construction tape, and head out onto the balcony.

The sounds of the screaming people are a cacophony of white noise to them, as they step out onto the construction platform and all three look down. They can see the hustle and bustle of street city life, the people, looking like ants beneath their feet. The rain is still coming down, a soft, light rain now, as they look out over the city and see skyscrapers, tall spiraling peaks made of metal and glass, gleaming in the barest hint of light.

Each of them suck in a breath as they take in the beautiful view, the way it makes each of them think of something different, of how they finally realize what it is that they are about to do. The girl asks, for the last and final time, if they are all ready to go through with this.

Speak now or forever hold your peace, she says jokingly, and the boy grabs her and kisses her hungrily one last time, and the other boy grabs a hold of her from behind, pulling all three of them into a crushing hug.

Taking one last look behind them, the boy holding hands with the girl, the girl holding hands with both boys, they jump from their position on the building's top, and they can hear the screaming behind them intensify for a moment before all that is heard is rushing noise. The sound of the wind is strong in their ears, and the boy takes the other boy's hand, forming a triangle together as they fall past windows made of glass, the building made of stone.

The ground is growing ever closer, and the girl whispers that she's afraid. The boy says not to be, a smile on his lips as he closes his eyes, as they all close their eyes, afraid to see the ground rushing up towards them.

Their bones make a crunching sound on the pavement, and blood flies onto vender's stalls as people scatter away from the sight, too horrific for anyone to truly look at for too long. Limbs are tangled within one another, heads are smashed in, but the hands, while crushed into what might not be able to even be described as hands are still attached to each other.

Suicide pacts are truly something to be seen.
Sign up to rate and review this story