Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Down the road, not across the street

For lack of a better word, and that's my best excuse.

by grandtheftautumn 7 reviews

Amara is home. Will Pete tell her the truth or take this to his grave? A little less 'Fall Out Boy' .. A little more 'Brendon Urie' !! XD R&R MWA

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Crossover, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-16 - Updated: 2007-04-16 - 2644 words

0Unrated
I just have to clarify something. For those who don't know where Northwestern Hospital is or Dublin's Pub its in Chicago. FOB, Panic & Amara are staying there during the tour break, Lacey has temporarily returned to Las Vegas.



Chapter 11: For lack of a better word, and that's my best excuse.




[Several hours earlier]


Pete's POV


After my meeting, I went to catch the next flight that would take me to Amara.

"WHAT!?! NO FLIGHTS! You've got to be kidding me!?! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!"

"No, I don't. I'm sorry sir our earliest flight to Vegas is 5.45 am," replied the woman from behind the counter.

I decided to call and arrange for the jet to pick me up. Don't know why you didn't do that in the first place.

"NO WAY! This can't be happening. I need the plane tonight."

"Sorry Pete, we finally getting the engine serviced. It is in no condition for taking you anywhere. Byee." I closed my phone angrily.

"Okay. Give me the 5.45 to Vegas," I told the sales person in annoyance.

When I called Amara she didn't sound like herself, but then again the reception wasn't that great. /It's just cause she's really upset/, I concluded.

Wonder if she's there yet? I'll ask when she calls back. But she never did.

Strange.

Well after midnight I received a call. It was Brendon.

I exchanged my ticket for the earliest flight to Chicago. The whole time his words replayed over and over in my head.


Hours later, I finally arrived at the hospital. I rushed inside and saw Ryan walking out of a room.

Breathless I spat out, "Amara. Parents. Accident."

"Pete, you're here? Yeah don't worry Micah just called to say they're alright now," he smiled awkwardly.

"so she's okay now?" I asked fearfully. Ryan nodded assuringly.

"how'd she end up here anyway? Brendon was a bit vague," I pressed on.

He relayed that night's events. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was talking to her while some guy was trying to take advantage of her, and I was clueless to it. Ryan paused, as if trying to think of something comforting to say.

"Her family means a lot to her. I can see why she took the news so hard. I know it didn't help that someone was trying to hurt her."

I didn't exactly know how to respond. "Can I see her?"

"Sure go ahead, Spencer and Jon are there. She's been asleep since last night though, doctor said she'll wake up soon."

Before I walked in, I took a second look at him. "Where you up all night? You look like crap Ry."

He gave a small laugh. "Thanks man. Always know how to make a guy feel loved."

He paused again before actually answering. "Yeah, pretty much all night. Well, I'm going to get something to eat. I'll be back soon."

I saw Amara asleep on the hospital bed. The white walls had a painful glare as the afternoon sun beamed into the room. If it wasn't for the slight movement of her breathing you would think she was a porcelain doll, fragile and lifeless. Jon moved over to make room for me. I held her hand. It was comforting feeling some warmth and her soft skin. Up close I could see a tinge of red in her cheeks. She looked so beautiful.

I watched her for as long as my eyes would stay open. I had closed my eyes for a minute when I suddenly woke up to find Amara's hand no longer in mine. A smile crept on my face at this beautiful sight.

"Pete, what happened to me? I had a nightmare that my parents were in an accident."

My chest tightened, "Ummm. Amara sweetie, that wasn't a nightmare."

The realisation that her nightmare had in fact been a reality was evident in her face. "OH MY GOD, MUM! OH NO, DAD!"

"No no no Amara it's okay. Your brother called and said your mum is fine now and your dad is out of intensive care and making a recovery."

I started to explain to her why she was there but I was cut off by her suddenly wrapping her arms around me. "You came back all the way from New York and saved me."

It felt so good to hold her. I felt like she wasn't mad at me for not being there. Pete, she thinks you saved her. You weren't there for her when the bad news came, and you weren't the one that saved her. You have to set her straight. Tell her.

"Amara, wait..." I started, but she wasn't listening for she had realised Ryan was standing in the doorway, with the strangest expression on his face.

"Ry, what's wrong? Don't worry I'm okay." she smiled.


Ryan's POV

Darn. Caught out again. I went to scratch his neck, and realised I was still holding the bouquet.

"Liliesssssssssssss," Amara cooed. Yeah, lilies that were about to go in the bin.

"Oh yea umm.. These are for you." I could feel the blood rushing to my face. I didn't expect her to be awake. I don't know why I even bought them. /Yes, you do/, mocked my conscience.

"Ryyy, oh I love you! You know they're my favourite." She beamed up at me and gave me a small peck on the cheek.


Pete's POV

I don't know if Ryan heard what Amara said, so I just left it. I was just so happy she was awake and well. She seemed to be regaining some of her energy back, despite her pale appearance. I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't me. I'm in love with her, and she feels the same way back. I wasn't there for her when she needed me most. If she finds it wasn't me she'll be disappointed. I need to be the guy that will always be there for her and protect. I'm not going to let her out of my sight again.

She was released later that afternoon. When we arrived home I promised myself I would do everything to make it up to her.





Two days passed since Amara returned from the hospital. I had spent the past few nights thinking, guilt ridden over what had happened. I decided to tell Amara the truth, I hated lying to her.

The next morning, I made her a nice breakfast in bed. Amara, can we talk about the last couple days. There's something you need to kno..."

I was interrupted by the doorbell. Fuck.

I went to answer it, "Just stay here and relax."

However, Amara beat me to the door and turn around to give me a stern look. "Pete, it was just a slight alcohol poisoning and GHB okay! I'm not an invalid."

We opened the door to find Brendon. "Hey!! Want some company? Cause I know I do." he grinned childishly.

Now was not a good time. I was not in the mood for Brendon. "What about the others?" I asked him.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Jon's visiting family while you, Ryan and Spence go play house somewhere, remember?"

That's right Spencer was coming today too. "Shut up, Urie. We're working on YOUR band's headlining tour, moron. Why don't you come help us then if you're so lonely?"

"First of all, I wasn't invited. Secondly, I have better and more fun things to do - like look after my best mate." He smiled at Amara.

"Whatever dude. Sweetie, we'll talk later kz? Look after yourself."

I grabbed some last minute things and headed out.


Amara's POV

Brendon suggested we go to Lincoln Park Zoo. I thought it was a great idea. I remember the first time I met Bren was at the Southern Nevada Zoo. It was the start of a beautiful friendship, he always says. Eventually, it became our little tradition and we made a pact to visit all the different ones together.

We worked our way til we reached the Lion House. It has my favourite animal, the snow leopard and Brendon loves the lions. "So how have you been the last few days?" he asked.

"Good. I got to relax, but yeah you can only spend so many days cooped up inside. It's nice to get out." I leaned forward to rest of the railing. Brendon followed and smiled as we watched the snow cubs. "I know you AJ. You're a free spirit." I smirked at his comment, and let out a voluntary sigh. The cubs were beautiful, but I always feel bad that the animals are confined.

"Pete's been really sweet and caring the last couple days, but between you and me, he was starting to drive me crazy."

Brendon just laughed at me. "He's getting protective it's not like him," I stated.

"Amaraaa. You know he just cares about you a lot."

"Yeah I know he does, but I think he's feeling guilty about not being there when I heard the news. I don't see why that matters in the end he pulled through."

"Yeah, he came to see you as fast as he could."

"He did more than that, he /saved me/!" Admiration filled inside me at the memory of Pete's heroics.

"Huh? A bit exaggerated don't you think?" Brendon smirked.

His stupid grin confused me and I became defensive, "Not at all! If Pete hadn't found me and brought me..."

"Wait! WHAT? Stop right there." The smile had disappeared from his face, and was replaced by the look of annoyance. "Why do you think it was Pete?" he asked incredulously.

"Because, who else would have known I was in danger? I had only told Pete about my parents."

Brendon massaged one temple. His expression reflected shock as if he didn't know this already. "Amara, do you remember what exactly happened that night?" Thoughts swam through my head. I thought for a second, trying to sort out my newfound confusion.

"Umm vaguely. I remember my brother calling, and then I couldn't get a flight home so I went to that pub. Then I just remember Pete carrying me and then I woke up in the hospital. Pete said I had too much to drink, and then you told me about the GHB.

Brendon was dumbfounded and his anger started to boil. Who told her it was Pete?

He breathed in deeply, carefully choosing his next words. "Amara, Pete wasn't the one that found you. I did. Didn't he tell you?" I began to feel dizzy from the rush of new information. I looked into Brendon's brown eyes, he looked pretty cut.

I hesitated to answer. "Umm no. We haven't really talked about it. I just wanted to forget that night. If Pete was the only one that knew, how'd you know to come find me?"

"I came to check up on you and found you on the street. You called Ryan, Amara, just as you passed out. Remember? I was the one who carried you. Then Ry showed up with his car and we drove you to the hospital."

"Ryan..." I trailed off. Oh my gosh, Ry came to my rescue. And Brendon too.

"But what? But why didn't he tell me?" I embraced him tightly, while he gently stroked my hair. "I have no idea, Amara."

He wouldn't be home til the late that afternoon, so we decided to stay around and make the most of the day. Unfortunately, I was too distracted by my thoughts to enjoy it. I need to talk to him, NOW.

I felt like I had gone back in time. Here I was at a zoo with Brendon and had found out someone close was lying to me. The day I met Brendon had started of as one of the worst days of my life. I had just found out my boyfriend was like every other typical heartbreaker, of the lying and cheating kind, so I escaped to the zoo. If I hadn't of found out the truth, I don't think I would have ever met Brendon, and that would have been a tragedy. He has done so much for me, and has always been there. Even if Ry was there, I could always count on him as well, whether I needed a hug or his shoulder to cry on.

I just started out the car window on the drive home. Millions of thoughts ran through my mind. I was preparing myself, trying to plan what I would say to Pete when I saw him. I was slightly disappointed he didn't save me, but what does it matter if he came back as soon as he could? I'm just so angry he'd lie to me. I thought we were honest with each other. I fought back tears at the memory of all the past boyfriends. I thought Pete would be different. Maybe he's just like every single one.

I started to feel angry, and bitter. He of all people would understand about liars, it's in so many of their freaking songs. Why would he lie?! Why would he keep this from me?!

Brendon pulled up in front of the apartment building. "If you need me to pick you up, just call." "Thank you, B." I smiled. I love him so much.


She walked inside to find he still wasn't home yet. Twenty minutes later, Amara was in the bathroom when she heard the door. She walked out into the hallway and stopped.

"Hey baby," Pete welcomed with a smiled. "Have you had dinner yet? We can talk about our days."

I was not in the mood to eat. I needed to know now. "Are we going to talk about how you lied to me? How it wasn't you that found me, but /Brendon/!?!"

"Baby, I was going to tell you, I..I was just waiting for you to get better." He stuttered in defence.

"Well, you're a bit too late." I was really agitated for my anger had built up over the last few hours. "Pete, I'm not angry that you weren't the one who saved me. That wouldn't have mattered because I know you would have tried your best. But to lie to me over something so /trivial/, is what's pissing me off the most! If you feel you have to lie to me over something little, what are you going to do when something big happens? Hide it from me? It was hard enough trusting you at the start and letting you in, and NOW..."

I grew more and more emotional that I started to choke on my words, while tears swelled in my eyes. Today had really hit a nerve and I finally broke down. Pete stood there motionless, not knowing what to say or do. He scratched at the back of his neck, with his head downwards in shame. The room was silent, other than sound of my attempt to stifle my tears and reduce my crying to a soft sob. I would have run to the bathroom but I felt faint and nauseous. Pete exhaled and then wrapped his arms around me.

He whispered softly into my ear as his embrace tightened. "Amara, I'm sorry. I love you so much. At the hospital I felt bad I wasn't there for you when you needed me. I was so happy you were awake that when you thought I was your knight, I just didn't have to heart to correct you." He rambled on, "But then I couldn't lie and take the credit I was going to tell you when I got home."

He cupped my face and wiped away the tears. He gave me a small, tender kiss on the cheek and looked into my eyes once again. "Amara... do you think you can forgive me? Are we still okay?"




*
Sign up to rate and review this story