Categories > Games > Skies of Arcadia > Raiders of the Lost Heart

Chapter 11

by ImonZ 0 reviews

Comrades, trust and cooperation

Category: Skies of Arcadia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Aika,Fina,Vyse - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-04-18 - Updated: 2007-09-17 - 1867 words

0Unrated
Chapter 11

Comrades, trust and cooperation


Just before it was too late, Esteban grabbed the edge with his hands. Unfortunately, the edge was hardly anything more than just earth. Already the sand was slipping through his fingers, as he hung in the chasm. It wouldn't be long before the ground he held would break away! Aika thrust herself forward and grabbed his wrists in a hard grip.

"Try to climb up!" She wished she could have sounded more confident.

"I don't... have any... grip," he said, his voice strained beyond all recognition.

Aika, full of adrenaline, pulled his arms, steadily bringing Esteban up. It didn't take long until his chest was resting on the edge. He managed to push himself over the edge and then he was safely up on the ground. His black waistcoat was somewhat dirty from the earth. The adrenaline rush left them both, a wave of tiredness overcoming them.

"Are you alright?" Aika asked.

"Just... fine," he replied, mush to unsteady, as he stood up. "Let's move on."

"No."

He stopped in the middle of a step, glaring at her.

"What do you mean with 'no'?" he said, a little annoyed.

"You're in shock. You have to rest before we continue."

Indeed he was. His whole body seemed so tense, his face was pale as a sheet.

"The hell... hell I need to."

Aika steeped forward, grabbed his wrist and brought his hand up in front of his eyes so he could see the shaking.

"Convinced yet?"

That seemed to do the trick. Esteban closed his eyes, his whole body seemed to loose all stability.

"Let's sit down for a while," Aika said, grabbing him firmly but softly around the shoulders and carefully leading him to the wall.

There they sat down, or in Esteban's case almost fell down. He stroked himself over his sweaty forehead with a shaky hand. His eyes were closed, not for resting but from exhaustion. These were the signs, now he realised what danger he had been in, how it could've ended. Without thinking about it, Aika took a soft grip around his wrist and with two of her fingers touched the underside to check his pulse. It was unnaturally quick. He was too exhausted to even notice, much less protest.

Esteban had said before that he only did courier jobs, but surely he would have to cope with different situations, like when he had run into Vigoro the day before yesterday. How did he handle that? Now he was so brought down that he couldn't even keep his facade up. Why had he chosen to be a mercenary? She could only think out one reason that fit in, but it seemed so sad. Then of course was the big question: Why? She thought about it while Esteban slowly overcame his shock and his heart found its rhythm.

"Feel any better?"

He nodded slightly.

"Yes. We can move on." Then Aika let go of his wrist.

He stood up and brushed away some sand. Then he threw a glance across the chasm.

"Maybe if they don't find anything they'll go after us."

"Yeah, and then..." Uh oh. "Then they might think we've fallen down!"

"And there's no way across now. We could leave a lantern here as a sign, to show that we made it"

"Good thinking." Since Esteban had tied his lantern to his belt, Aika put down her 'light-spreader' on the ground. Then, they started to walk.

It would probably be Vyse and Fina who found the treasure. Seriously, who would've thought to transport something over that chasm? But still, it could've happened after the base was abandoned, however that would happen.

"Aika?" His voice was so sudden, it almost startled her. She'd never heard him start a conversation.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

xXx

"Well, look at that, Fina!" said Vyse. "Really brings back memories."

"It really does," Fina replied. "Octavio wasn't very original, was he?"

"Not really. These things seem to be the standard for any treasure island we ever encounter."

"I wonder if Aika and Esteban have arrived at their big-button yet?"

"There's only one way to find out."

xXx

"What's so funny?" Esteban asked.

"Just a little memory from another treasure hunt," Aika replied. "Daccat's actually"

Now, afterwards, she could actually laugh at the "treasure" of Daccat. It had been a grand disappointment, but at least she and Fina had found Vyse. That was one of her fondest memories from their adventure. She had been so worried, and then seeing him standing there was just... overwhelming. No wonder she had boiled over with joy. Even today, just thinking of that moment made her smile.

"You found Daccat's treasure?"

"Yep. Guess how much it was."

"How should I know?"

Maybe he didn't like quizzes. Aika shook her head.

"Nada, zip, zero. In money that is."

"Too bad. So what did he leave?"

She thought back at the message the old pirate had left behind him.

"/'Comrades, trust and cooperation'/. That's what the note said, the ragged little note we found in a ginormous expensive-looking treasure chest. But he could've at least thrown in some gold. He had this big island, you see, it was built up like a gigantic puzzle or whatever. Me and Fina tried to get the treasure, meanwhile Vyse was there with another Air Pirate named Gilder. We didn't have a clue about that since we had been separated from each other after an assault from the armada. We didn't meet each other until we all had reached the treasure." She stepped up to the button. "The money aside, I think it was one of the greatest treasures we've ever encountered. And the money would be used to find Vyse anyway, so it kinda evens out."

"It's really a waste," Esteban said and stepped up. "All that trouble for just... whoa!"

The button they stood upon sank down, quite suddenly. Aika had been through this before, but Esteban almost fell down. Then the door in front of them slowly opened. He stared at it.

"Yep, another one of those 'twin-buttons'," said Aika. "This one is linked to another, at least I think so. Vyse and Fina are probably standing on one right now. We'll see who gets the treasure." She peered into the dark room. "Give me some light, will ya?"

They both walked into the room. It was normal sized, sparsely furnished, definitely a store. But then they discovered some more stuff. There was a big shelf that contained several swords and cutlasses, showing signs of heavy use. Two sacks of something that, after a closer inspection, were moonstones stood in a corner. Next to the shelf something large could be seen. It was a large box or something, and it was covered with a purple silk blanket. Aika threw the blanket aside and saw that it was a treasure chest. Every Air Pirate could tell the difference between a regular chest and a treasure chest. She gasped in wonder.

"I found it! And it's HUGE!!"

Esteban quickly had a look. It was very similar to Daccat's old chest, but hopefully it would contain something more than just a tiring cliché. Or maybe not. Just like she had said; friends were more important than any treasure.

"So let's open it."

But even if their spirits were high, the rusty but huge padlock that kept the lid down decided for a "Heck, no". It had been locked for several years, and it didn't have any plans to be unlocked now. Especially not by Blue Rogues.

"Dammit!" Aika swore and kicked the lock. "Why would he have to lock it anyway! Do we have anything to pry it open or somethin'?"

They tried with the lock-pick, but it didn't work. Not even with the lubricant. Esteban looked at the shelf and grabbed one of the swords. It was quite thin but made out of a sturdy material, maybe steel. He put the blade through the padlock and started to yank. But it only served to waggle the chest.

"Hold it steady, and I'll pry," said Esteban.

Aika put both her hands in the side of the chest. Esteban then started to pry it open. The chest wiggled, but Aika held it in one place. Esteban yanked the sword with all his might. His face was bright red, his white teeth making a sharp contrast. Slowly, the old padlock started to give after for the pressure.

"You almost... have it," said Aika.

The lock cracked, sprained and then the metal bar that kept up the lock itself fell in two. The padlock fell down and Esteban, with no support stumbled forward. He managed to stop himself before he hit the wall, then turned around and looked at the now unlocked treasure chest. Aika slipped around and removed what was left of the padlock.

"Great job!" she said, eyes brimming of excitement. "C'mon, let's see what's in it!"

Esteban quickly walked over to the chest. Even he seemed a little excited. Side by side, they kneeled down and then opened up the lid. What met them was nothing. Nothing they had expected, that is. The light from the lantern made the all the diamonds in the chest glitter like stars. Aika gasped in wonder. Esteban put down his right arm in the chest to measure the amount.

"Almost an arm-length." His eyebrows made a quick jump. "This could be worth a fortune."

Aika's smile seemed to stretch from ear to ear.

"YAAAAAY!!" she screamed out of pure joy and then, without thinking about it, she threw her arms around Esteban.

Then she realised what she was doing, and then another thing: He didn't shrug of her arms or tried to get away! Esteban didn't show any signs of submitting to the hug, though, but still. Aika looked at his face and saw him, for the first time since they met, actually smile ever so little. It suited him very well.

"Not bad," he said. "Now let's go get Vyse and Fina."

Aika let go of him, then they stood up and walked out of the room. Aika still giggled with happiness at having the treasure. "A fortune" had he said. This was just wonderful!

"So, what are you going to do with your share?" she asked.

"I had no real plans for it. But you have to get the treasure while it's still there."

Both of them, she thought.

"You'll find something for it eventually. After we've given away some of our share, I'd personally like to buy a hot spring, but knowing Vyse, he'd probably spend it on a new ship or something like that."

Esteban looked at her a bit questioningly.

"How can you buy a hot spring?"

After some seconds, the quarter dropped.

"Aha. Well, these hot springs are a sort of warm baths, very common in Yafutoma. I tried it once while we were there and it was heavenly. You feel so totally relaxed that you could spend the whole day in it. At least I could. They'll forgive me as soon as they'd tried it out," She paused. "It will be a half-adventure just getting the treasure out, but we'll make it."
Sign up to rate and review this story