Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties

Chapter 1: Sound The Alarms

by IP82 2 reviews

Chapter 1

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Dumbledore, Harry, Ron, Snape, Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2005-10-27 - Updated: 2005-10-27 - 5600 words

5Insightful
------------------------------------
Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties
------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by J.K. Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury, Scholastic, and Raincoast Books, and Warner Brothers Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. I do not own Harry Potter or anything related to Harry Potter.
------------------------------------


Start of the story notices



o - Summary

Post-OotP. Harry escapes Private Drive and goes off to learn about the world on his own. Hunted by all sides of the war, he must rely on his wit and cunning to survive. Independent!Harry.

o - Pairings

None planned for now. As for future prospects, only two things are certain: no H/Hr, no H/G and NO slash.

o - Canon

This starts after Book 5, but will also contain spoilers from Book 6. Still, only books 1 to 5 shall be considered as canon. There will be no spoilers from other HP publications (' Quidditch through the ages', etc.), HP sites or interviews with JKR.

o - Rating

Rated - R - Swearing and violence. No explicit sex scenes.

o - Grammar warning

English is not my native tongue, so there will probably be some grammatical errors.


------------------------------------


Chapter 1: Sound the alarms


Remus Lupin was standing under the tree in Surrey park, watching over disheveled person sitting on one of the few undamaged swings. His tall but skinny frame was hidden behind overlarge, ragged clothes. His messy black hair completely covered famous bolt-shaped scar on his forehead. Remus amusedly noticed that only his shoes were new and different than the rest of his appearance.

Probably trying to buy him off, muggle bastards , he growled.

Remus was hidden under invisibility cloak, but he doubted his charge would have noticed his presence even if he wasn't. His emerald eyes, that used to be vibrant and mischievous, were now dull and empty, almost stupid, staring at nothing.

Harry, Harry, what are you doing with yourself? We are all mourning, but you shouldn't give up living your life in the process. Sirius would have never wanted that.

Remus sighed. He argued with Albus about approaching Harry and talking with him, but Headmaster was adamant in his request to leave Harry alone for the rest of the summer. "He has a lot on his mind right now," he would say. "He needs time and space to grieve". Albus forbid any mail correspondence from his friends and had Order members screen through all of Harry's mail, "for Harry's sake," of course.

Bullshit , Moony thought. Harry needs friends and human contact right now and that is the exact thing that is being denied to him.

It was easy to memorize Harry's daily routine. He would spend exactly an hour each day trudging around the neighborhood, lost in his thought. He would then disappear inside his room and nobody would see him again until tomorrow.

Like a prisoner on a daily walk , Moony growled mentally. They are probably locking him down for the rest of the day.

He suddenly realized that tomorrow was Harry's birthday.

And Harry would spend it dragging himself around depressed , he thought. He won't even get any presents, with this mail blackout routine in place. Remus clenched his fists in resolve. Not if I can help it.

Just when he thought that, Harry came out of his stupor and looked at his wristwatch. He yelped when he saw the time and hurried back towards Private Drive. Moony followed him at brisk pace.

It seems that Harry's happy hour is almost up , he thought.

When they entered abandoned dark alley near the Private Drive, Remus looked around and decided to make his move. I respect Albus and all, but enough is enough. Harry is the only Marauder child and it is my duty to protect him , he decided. He pulled off his cloak and called: "Harry!"

Harry just kept on walking, like he hadn't even heard Remus yelling his name. Remus called him again and suddenly Harry stopped, as if just realizing something. He turned around and inspected Moony thoroughly. His brow furrowed, like he was in deep thought.

"Rebus?," he asked, uncertainly.

Merlin, it hasn't been THAT long , Remus thought.

"Remus," he corrected Harry. He took a deep breath and plunged forward. "Harry, how are you doing?"

Harry looked a bit miffed, but hurriedly answered: "Yeah, fine, everything's fine, no need to worry, not at all."

Remus' instincts were screaming at this reply and there was no way he would let this go. "Harry, are you sure? Are the muggles treating you well?"

Harry looked almost insulted by this. "Of course they are! They took me in, gave me shelter, clothed me, fed me. I am grateful for all they did for me!" Remus was looking at him wide-eyed, and Harry realized that he said more than he should have. "Err, look Reb... Remus, I really have to go, have... chores to do, yeah." He glanced at his watch and quickly walked away down the alley.

It took few seconds for Remus to realize that his charge had dismissed him. Something is seriously wrong here , he mused. Harry must be more grief-stricken than we thought. Remus ran after Harry and caught up with him near No.4 Private drive.

"Look, I know that his death hit you hard, but that's no reason for you to act this way," Remus panted.

Harry glanced at the watch again, and distractedly said: "That's right... death, nasty business."

Remus tried again: "Sirius wouldn't want you to feel responsible for his death. He was a grown up man and his choices were his own."

"Yeah, choices are cool."

"Harry, it wasn't your fault!"

They were already at Private Drive. Harry gave Remus perplexed look and said: "Why would it be?" He then went down the walkway towards the house door.

Remus never felt so confused in his entire life. Whatever he expected when he confronted Harry, this certainly wasn't it. He tried to logically collect all the facts he had: Strict daily regime... witch Harry obediently follows... Hardly remembers my name... Likes his relatives... No emotional reactions whatsoever... except when he thought he was going to be late...

Suddenly, it all clicked together. Muggles didn't have magic but they had other mind conditioning techniques. He once saw a TV show about such techniques, like sleep depravation, combined with various hallucinogen drugs, combined with occasional beating...

Fucking bastards brainwashed him! , he mentally screamed.

Moony ran after Harry caught his arm just when he was about to open the door.

"Harry, what have they done to you!?"

Harry looked at Remus confusedly. "Nothing, Rebus. Let me go now, I have..."

"Harry I'm not letting you go until we find out what those bastards did. Don't worry, I'm taking you with me to see Dumbledore, he'll find a way..."

When he heard about leaving with Remus, Harry started to struggle against the werewolf's grasp. "No, let me go, you freak!"

"Harry you don't know what are you talking about, let us help you..."

"Let me go, freak, I'm not coming with you..."

Suddenly, Harry's arm started inflating, surprising them both. On reflex Remus let it go, making both him and Harry fall on their arses. Remus watched in fascination as Harry's messy black hair turned into short blonde, and his overgrown hand-me-downs now fit snugly against his new body.

"Oh, shit!" said Remus, as he watched boy that was once Harry Potter. He instantly activated Order Of The Phoenix communicator and sounded code red.

"Well, I guess the game is up, huh," said Dudley Dursley.
------------------------------------
Albus Dumbledore was sitting in his office, finding it strange that he didn't have anything to do.

At this time of year, he would usually be frantically going through lists of candidates for Defense Against The Dark Arts professorship, trying to persuade another poor fool into taking the post. But this year, he seemed to have abundance of professors at disposal. Not only did Alastor agreed to teach again, but the Ministry insisted on sending their own batch of auror instructors, in an effort to "prepare our youth for the struggle against He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named".

Well, students were always complaining about poor quality of DADA classes . Albus snorted at the thought. Let's see how they handle a bunch of paranoid, hardened auror instructors at the same time , he thought amusedly.

Dumbledore was interrupted from his thoughts when code red alarm was sounded on his Order Of The Phoenix pendant. He briefly froze when he saw the location and then quickly checked newly repaired silver instruments on his desk. When he saw that no intruder alarms were sounded at No.4 Private Drive, he sighed in relief.

It was instrumental for his plans that Harry stay isolated and safe at his relatives' house. With no one to talk to during the summer, he would close up and isolate himself from the rest of the world. Then Professor Dumbledore, the ever-gentle grandfather, would come in and rescue him from the hell. Harry would probably still be angry at Headmaster, but Albus would offer him a few carrots, like private tutoring and training with the Order members. Harry would of course accept, alienating himself even further from the rest of Hogwarts populace. Only exception would be his two friends, but Albus already had the two of them in his pocket. In time, Harry's brief spat whit Albus would be all but forgotten and he would have his weapon back under his control.

That's why it was necessary for Harry to stay safe during the summer. Albus knew that the Blood Wards would keep Riddle away from Surrey, even though their effect wasn't as strong as before Voldemort's rebirth. For protection against his minions, Albus had to rely on ordinary wards and Order guards, all of which could be broken with enough effort. If Death Eaters, by some miracle, do manage to breach Private Drive's defenses, the Prophecy would probably protect Harry's bare life, but he would have to be relocated to another location before the time was right. Harry would have the opportunity to interact and strengthen ties with other Order members, especially one Remus Lupin. Albus briefly shivered. Sirius Black was bad enough, and now that he was finally gone, Albus wouldn't allow another Marauder to take his place. Furthermore, Harry would be mad at Albus for leaving him at his relatives' place, even though he wasn't as safe as Headmaster said he would be.

Albus mentally shook himself. All that was irrelevant now, since the wards obviously weren't breached. It was probably just Harry venting some of his stress on his relatives, the little devil. Albus suddenly realized that this could even work to his advantage, especially if Harry would need another rescuing from Fudge.

Some of my political influence when he needs it the most, followed by few kind words and more apologies... Yes, that would help bridge the gap even faster , he mused.

Still planning and scheming, Albus walked out of Hogwarts grounds and apparated to Private Drive.
------------------------------------
What used to be quiet living room of No.4 Private Drive, was now scene of total chaos. Dursleys were sitting at the table fearfully watching wizards and witches, like they were some rare but dangerous species. Mad-Eye Moody was stalking around the house, inspecting every detail of it in a futile hope of finding some trace of their wayward charge. Nymphadora Tonks was pacing in front of Dursleys muttering to herself, her hair flashing through all the colors of rainbow. Severus Snape was standing in a dark corner like a wrath, scowling at other occupants of the room. Remus Lupin was sitting on a couch, his graying head in his hands, dejectedly answering occasional question of other occupants. This was the scene that Albus Dumbledore found when he entered the house.

He briefly inspected occupants, who were all looking at him expectantly. He surveyed the room again and then asked question that was on everyone's mind today: "Where is Harry?"

All Order members started talking at the same time, throwing around accusations, excuses and theories. They were interrupted by a small voice from the table where Dursleys were sitting. All the wizards shut up at once and looked at the cowed Muggles, like hawks at prey. Albus walked forwards, Order members forming an eerie half-circle around their leader. He leaned forward, looking at the shivering Dursleys with hard eyes, and asked politely: "Excuse me?"

Dudley gathered all his courage and answered little louder: "Gone. He's gone. Been for a while."

Order members started yapping again but Albus stopped them with raised hand, sat at the other side of table.

"What did you do to him?" he asked Petunia pointedly, his hard eyes and dangerous tone unmistakably demanding a prompt and truthful answer.

"Nothing, we did nothing!" yelled scared Petunia. "That little whelp left on his own!"

"Left on his own?" asked perturbed Albus. "When? How?"

Petunia sat a little straighter and cleared her throat. She briefly looked like she was at one of her gossip parties, and not being interrogated by a bunch of very irritated wizards.

"Well, you see, as soon as we arrived from the station, back in June, he gathered all of us around, at this very table, and told us that he is leaving and never coming back."

"Like hell he isn't," muttered Snape, but shut up at Dumbledore's distracted hand gesture.

Petunia continued: "Well, that was perfectly fine with us, I mean we never wanted him in the first place." She gave a little dramatic pause and leaned closer. "But then, he demanded we help him fool the other fre... magicians who might come looking for him once he's gone. He even claimed it was our duty to help him out," she hissed in an outraged tone, like she was speaking of some unspeakable crime.

"Preposterous," snapped Snape, not being able to contain himself. "That brat is getting more and more arrogant by the minute!"

"Exactly our reasoning, thank you very much," said Petunia, who was obviously in same mind with Snape concerning Harry. "I mean, we took him in when no one wanted him, gave him shelter under our roof, and food from our table... and after all that, that ungrateful ruffian has the audacity to actually demand ..."

"What changed your mind, Petunia?" asked Albus politely.

Vernon interrupted her answer: "Well, see here, he was always polite... for a freak, I mean. And quiet too, when he wasn't having nightmares..."

"Yes, dear," Petunia caught on, "and he did do a chore or two during summers..."

"And he never actually ate all that much, now that I think about it..."

"And he is my flesh and blood, after all, it has to mean something..."

"3,000 pounds," blurted in Dudley. "Thousand quid each. Half now, half when we do our part." His parents gave him reprimanding looks, but didn't deny.

"Now, see here," blurted Vernon, "just to be clear, we took the money and did our part of the deal, fair and square. We'll answer your stupid questions, just because that brat advised us to do so, so we wouldn't have any more problems with you freaks... But we are not giving you any money back!"

"Please do calm yourself, Mr. Dudley, we are not interested in money," said Albus, although he was actually very interested in just when did Harry withdrew all that money from his account. "Would you mind telling us what happened next?"

Petunia continued. "Well, after we made sure the money wasn't stolen, we asked what he would have us do. Then he gave us ten vials of some vile stuff, little bag with hair of all things and a notebook."

"May we see them?" asked Albus.

Petunia stood up and brought a muggle notepad and a little white bag. "Vials are in his old roo... I mean, cupboard under the stairs. Few days later, he sent us a package with 50 additional ones, since we needed one vial per day."

Albus motioned for Snape, who stalked down the corridor to check the potions. Mad-Eye inspected bag and growled: "Potter's hair." Albus opened notebook and gasped when he saw files of every Order member that Harry knew about. Each page had the member's photo, cut out from some larger photograph, his name and general info. Albus was amused by some facts Harry had fabricated, like "Has tendency to turn into Dracula if he sees combination of red and gold" for Harry's description of Professor Snape. Better keep this away from Severus , mused Albus.

"Polyjuice, all of it," spat said man, who was back from the cupboard, levitating bunch of vials behind him. "First batch is fairly good student work, probably that Know-It-All Granger. Those that came by mail are commercial grade, medium quality. Bought in Knockturn alley, most likely."

"Damn!" blurted Tonks. THE Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Lived, Savior Of Wizarding World and all assorted hogwash, gallivanting around the Knockturn Alley? If the press gets a hold of this...

Petunia cleared her throat and continued with explanation. "So, he gave us all those things and explained that Dudley is to learn everything from that notebook and impersonate him for an hour each day. Of course, I wouldn't let my Duddydums drink that vile freak concoction, with hair of all things, so he picked a single strand from Dudley's hair, put it in one of the vials and drank it."

"God damn freak business," grumbled Vernon, obviously remembering Harry transforming into his son before his very eyes.

"Yes, dear, exactly," sniffed Petunia. "Anyway, since the brat unfortunately didn't drop dead or came down ill, we reluctantly agreed to honor our end of the agreement."

"And get the rest of the money," muttered Tonks.

"So," Petunia said forcefully, giving Tonks a sour look, "Vernon drove him back to London while he was still looking like Dudley. To that freak place, Cauldron something-or-other. And that's it.," she said forcefully. Than her expression mellowed when she saw her son. "Poor Duddy-drums had to drink that vile stuff every day for a month, didn't you dear?" She was petting Dudley's pig-like head, while he was alternating between nodding eagerly and making hurt faces.

"Did he ask anything else of you?" asked Albus, years of experience preventing him from grimacing at display.

"Yes," said Petunia, "He had us sign bunch of papers. Something like parental permissions for your freak kind."

Albus paled. 'Muggle guardian permits' were series of permission slips, that would allow underage Muggleborns to take over variety of privileges and responsibilities from their appointed Magical guardians. And Harry had probably taken them all, seeing as Albus had appointed himself for the job of Harry's magical advisor. With this move, Albus would loose much of his legal authority over Harry, like the privilege to screen his mail, oversee his finances and restrict his movement in magical enclaves. It wasn't exactly emancipation, but it was the closest thing Harry would get until he was 17.

At this point, Dudley was discretely prodding his mother with his elbow, witch made her grimace in pain. Then she remembered something and said: "Oh yes, with that package delivery, he included a letter for you."

That got the attention of Order members, who were leaning forward expectantly. Petunia walked out of the room and brought back a plain white envelope. She gave it to Albus, who was planning on reading it discretely and then giving the others censured version. But as soon as he opened the envelope, red howler popped out and started speaking:

*

I am Harry Potter.

Professor Dumbledore told me why I wasn't chosen for a perfect, along with few other things, in his office, right after he portkeyed me back from the Ministry Of Magic. This confirms my identity.

I left on my own free will. I was not kidnapped, tricked or kicked out.

Dursleys are helping me on my request, this is all my idea. They are instructed to tell you all they know, DON'T BULLY THEM, even thought they deserve it.

I will not be controlled any more.

Don't look for me, I am not coming back.

I will see you all at September 1 st .

*

Voice shut up and the howler burst into flames. Reactions from the crowd were mixed. Albus was looking pensive, while casting various reveling charms at the envelope. Tonks was again flashing colors, looking apprehensive. Moody grunted approvingly at forwardness of the letter. Snape, on the other hand, was hardly containing himself from falling into another 'arrogant Potter' rant. Remus was just looking tired and worn-out, lost in his thoughts.

"Very well," Albus said abruptly, putting the envelope in his robes. "We shall now retrieve Harry and bring him back home." Dursleys started protesting but Albus gave them a hard stare and continued. "You will, of course, get the rest of your money when Harry returns. And then, we shall discuss further arrangements for the rest of the summer. Good day."

He and the rest of the Order briskly left the house, throwing back dirty looks. As soon as they were outside, Dumbledore cast temporary muggle-repellant charm and then a locator spell.

"You have that little bastard tagged?" asked Snape with an evil smirk.

Dumbledore nodded and did more precise locator charm. His wand glowed brightly and pointed at Snape. He frowned and walked towards the confused potion master. Snape moved out of the way and Albus saw that his wand was in fact pointing at bunch of Polyjuice vials that Harry had sent few days after his escape. Harry had obviously somehow removed tracking charm from himself and placed it on the rack with vials.

"Obnoxious little brat," Snape murmured irritably, but Remus and Mad-Eye looked quite pleased with Harry's ingenuity. Albus just shook his head, like he would at his favorite puppy that had just peed outside of his appointed sandbox.
------------------------------------
This means that Harry had somehow managed to bypass underage magic restrictions AND learn all about tracking charms in only few days... or he had found some help , he mused.

Albus waved his wand in complicated circular pattern and pointed it at the rack. It was a spell that should reveal magical signature of a person that had handled relocation of Harry's locator charm.

Unlike fingertips, person's magical signature was changing every several months, so any sort of database had to be constantly updated. Ministry was only keeping tabs on recently released criminals on parole. Albus, on the other hand, was keeping up-to-date file of every person staying at Hogwarts during school year. It wasn't exactly legal, but it was just too good an opportunity for the Headmaster to pass it up. On various feasts during the year, Albus would simply lace all the drinks in the Great Hall with signature-reading potion, that was previously magically tied to a parchment in his office. When the feast was over, Albus would retreat to his office and neatly arrange the sheets with signatures to appropriate categories. He would also make sure to memorize some of the more important signatures he wanted to keep track of. Harry's was, of course, one of them.

Albus was eagerly awaiting results from the spell and was only slightly disappointed when it didn't return Harry's signature. Still, he carefully analyzed myriad of colors that the spell had left and nodded in grim satisfaction. He was only an average signature analyzer, but even novice forensic apprentice would have easily recognized crude tell-tale traces of a cheap Occlusion amulet. He was somewhat relieved that it wasn't the model that the Order members were using. It wouldn't be good for Albus if Harry had gained help from the Order itself. Something like that could have easily split his group in half. Bad news was that such simple Occluders were usually used by novice Death Eaters or Knockturn alley riff-raff.

Albus wasn't happy with this revelation. This could destroy 15 years of hard work he spent by carefully conditioning Harry into the pawn he needed.

Albus grudgingly admitted that at the root of this whole problem was his own screw-up with the last-year's experiment. It all started with Minerva's report about Harry's desire to became an Auror after graduation. Such position would have moved Harry too far away from Dumbledore's area of influence. Also, Fudge was already planning to offer Harry a few boons, like permission to do underage magic and preliminary Auror training, in exchange for his silence about Tom's return. Albus just couldn't allow something like that to happen. That's why he decided to completely alienate Harry from the Ministry of Magic, effectively destroying any desire he might have to ever work for them.

At first, everything went by the plan. Using his patented subtle manipulations, Albus managed to convince Fudge that Harry was a serious political threat to his position. Fudge, idiot that he was, bit the hook, bait and sinker and decided to attack Harry with everything he had, instead of approaching him with his offer. Albus intentionally pulled all of Harry's adult allies away from him, including himself, leaving young man to deal on his own with kangaroo courts, press slandering and Umbridge's abuse. At the same time, he used Hermione to carefully push Harry towards forming his own DADA club. Harry would have hopefully grew to love teaching and gladly accepted DADA post after his graduation. Instead of being the Ministry's auror, working Merlin knows where, Harry would have become the youngest DADA teacher in Hogwarts history, leaving him isolated at Hogwarts, under the Headmaster's authority. The plan was simply brilliant - Albus would have kept his pawn under control, permanently solved the problem of DADA teacher and maybe even saw a glimpse of this mysterious 'Power he knows not', he has been searching for so long.

But just as all the pieces were starting to fall together, the whole fiasco at Department of Mysteries happened. In retrospect, Albus realized that he had put too much faith in Hermione's ability to keep Harry on a tight leash. She did try to stop him from going on with that whole rescue operation, but in the end, she only ended up getting dragged along with the rest of the kids. During the ensuing chaos, what Albus feared the most finally happened - Harry learned about the existence of a prophecy regarding him and the Dark Lord. Even worse, Voldemort learned that Harry had no clue about the prophecy, indicating a concealment tactics he never expected from the Light side to make. All this unfortunate events forced Dumbledore to reveal to Harry the full contents of the prophecy, least Voldemort did it first in an attempt to create a rift between his two greatest adversaries. Albus made a big show of apologizing for keeping it from Harry for so long, but truthfully, he would have gladly kept it forever, if given a chance. After all, such knowledge offers Harry a powerful leverage against both Albus and the rest of Wizarding society. The other unforeseen consequence of the whole fiasco was that Harry redirected his rage from the Ministry and Fudge, as Dumbledore had planned, to Albus himself. His perfectly orchestrated and carried out plan spectacularly backfired right into his face.

The only good thing that came out of that whole mess is that Black is finally out of my hair for good , Albus mused. Since his escape, that man was a constant thorn in Albus' side, constantly challenging his authority over Harry. With him gone, Harry was ripe for picking by a new father figure. And Albus had every intention of being the one Harry would choose.

But now, just as his damage control scheme was in place, Harry had to play teenage rebellion and run away from home. Not only did he visit Knockturn Ally to buy the potions, which was already bad enough, but he had also spent significant amount of time interacting with it's occupants. Who knows what sort of things he heard from them, what information he gained.

Harry must be found and retrieved at all cost , Albus decided furiously. I can't allow some street lowlife screwing around with my project.

Albus looked up and saw his minions standing around him, patiently awaiting for his decision.

"Very well," he said resolutely. "We'll have to do this the hard way. I'm calling the Order meeting in half an hour. We'll meet at Grimmauld Place."

"Err, Sir..." said Tonks timidly. "Headquarters are no longer at Grimmauld Place, remember? The house locked itself down after Sirius... you know."

"Oh yes, thank you, my dear. Silly me," said Dumbledore in distracted, senile-like voice. Of course, he knew perfectly well that Headquarters were relocated to a different location after Lord Black's signet ring disappeared, along with it's bearer, behind the Veil of Death. Albus carefully honed his senile persona because it made people underestimate him and put their guards down around him. Not to mention it was awfully funny seeing powerful witches and wizards taking orders from seemingly crazy old codger. "To the cabin, then," Albus said resolutely, as if trying to cover his 'blunder'.

Order members nodded sadly at their distracted leader and disapparated. Albus activated his Order pendant, set it to 'full meeting right now' and sighed.

Harry, Harry, what shall I do with you? , he mused. This situation required careful handling. On one hand, he had to punish Harry and prevent any further insubordination on his part, but on the other, he still had to play role of a good-natured, lenient grandpa. Some hard words and a few new restrictions but with a couple of boons along the way , he mused. Carrots and sticks, carrots and sticks... that tactics always works... Especially if someone other than me holds the stick. Maybe the Ministry... or Severus. Yes, I will have to think further on this , he decided and apparated away.
------------------------------------
The old man said 'arrangements' but Dursleys knew he actually meant 'punishments'. For them, or for their wayward nephew, they didn't know, and hoped they would never find out. They watched as wizards walked out of their home, throwing them back dirty looks. They waited for a few minutes and then heard popping sounds, witch they associated with freaks arriving or departing.

There was a brief silence in the living room of No.4 Private Drive. Then Vernon looked at his son and said "Do it."

Dudley pulled out a newest model of cellular phone, witch his parents gave him for his last birthday, and typed a SMS message in. When the message was sent, there was almost palpable air of relief in the room.

"Our part is done," grumbled Vernon. "That brat better live up to his end of the bargain."

"Who is for an early supper?" chirped Petunia and life at Private Drive was back to blessed normality.
------------------------------------


Author notes



EDIT: This author notes were clipped when I posted a revised version of this chapter. Grammar was slightly improved and few lines were changed, but the plot remained the same. Notice that these notes are much longer than normal, following chapters will have much shorter drivels than this one.

o - About Half-Blood Prince spoilers

This fic COULD have some HBP spoilers, but not much. And it starts after year 5, not year 6. Why? Simply, HBP sucks arse.

Horcruxes are an idiotic idea. Dark Lord who wants to live forever would have made one Horcrux from an ordinary rock and threw it in the ocean. He certainly wouldn't have screwed around with a snake (who could live up to 30 years or so) or any other flashy trinkets that are easily tracked down.

Dumbledore's back to being a saint. No angst tones from Book 5, characters are acting like they are 14 again. Romance is bland and frigid. All interesting Order characters are gone and replaced with boring Slughorn.

Worst of all is Harry, who must be the biggest looser in the book. Instead of getting ready for Voldemort, he spends whole year sucking up to Dumbledore, unsuccessfully chasing after Malfoy, cheating in potions, and generally getting his ass kicked around.

Even if I get over all of that, the fact remains that Book 6 is a terrible starting point for fan-fiction. Too many things are pre-set for Book 7. There is no freedom whatsoever in choosing allegiances, pairings or plot. And there is Dumbass!Harry to get around, too.

o - About Private Drive wards

Blood Wards protect Harry's home from Voldemort only. Otherwise, they would have protected him from Dudley's friends beating him up and Dementors in book 5. Also, he wouldn't have needed constant guards around the house. When Voldemort took Harry's blood, he somewhat weakened them, but they still work around the house.

o - About Occlusion amulets

When you perform any magic, it carries your magical signature. These amulets muddle this patterns, so they look like some random signature. Albus recognized usage of amulet just because it was such a cheap model.

o - About my Book 5 interpretation

In Book 3 and partially in 4, Fudge is trying to win Harry over as his ally. Then, suddenly, in book 5, he attacks him with all his might. He is a very crafty politician. They don't make influential enemies if they can bribe them and get them on their side. That whole thing has Dumbledore written all over it.

Also, such powerful wizard as Dumbledore would have never lost power-struggle against stupid ministry puppet, like Umbridge, unless he did it on purpose. I mean, come on, everyone's favorite grandpa, supreme Mugwump, the most powerful wizard of the century and all that crap, against the amazing toad-faced wonder. It's not exactly a fair fight, unless it's rigged, right?
Sign up to rate and review this story