Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Dumbledore's Army

Aunt Ginny

by DrT 13 reviews

A Sixth year (pre-HBP) story: Harry decides the best way to fight back is to take the DA to the next level. He succeeds better than he thought he would. In this chapter, the end of the story.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Luna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-04-25 - Updated: 2007-04-25 - 1546 words

5Moving
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters, ideas, and situations created by JK Rowling and owned by her and her publishers. I own the original elements & characters. No money is being made by me, and no trademark or copyright infringement is intended.
Epilogue
Wednesday, March 30, 2072
6:55 am

It was a gloomy, overcast, chilly day in northern Scotland. Could Muggles see the scene, they would have seen a robed man emerge from the huge castle. To Muggle eyes, the man would appear to be a very fit shortish man in his late 50s, although he was in truth four months shy of his 92nd birthday. He was headed towards a large granite memorial.

In twenty minutes, students, staff, and visitors would stream out of the castle, but none dared intrude on the man's right to visit the memorial alone. No one called Harry Potter, once 'the Boy-Who-Lived', the greatest sorcerer alive, as Albus Dumbledore had been called until his death just over fifty years before. They did acknowledge him as the most powerful, and perhaps most dangerous, sorcerer of the century. He had, after all, killed the most powerful Dark Wizard of the past three centuries, killed four other major would-be followers of Tom Riddle's example, and defeated and captured seven others over the previous seventy-odd years, plus killing or capturing dozens of their minions.

He was not a wizard to be trifled with, although his Muggle-born students sometimes mistook his mild manner for weakness. When they heard in the History of Magic class how Professor Potter had killed twelve Dark wizards with one spell in 2006 (the so-called Deadly Dozen, led by former Death Eater Antonin Dolohov, who had killed auror Ron Weasley a few weeks before), they tended to treat their Defense teacher with more respectful caution.

Harry's eyes searched out Ron's name first. Harry had always wondered about Ron's death, if he had just been sloppy because his and Hermione's divorce had just been finalized. They and Justin had been the only members of the aurors' potion class to make it through training. Ron had joined, while Harry did a stint working for Tomas Zoric. In 2002, Harry took over the DADA position from Remus, who had replaced Binns when the ghost finally drifted off.

Dumbledore had gone on until 2010, when he had finally retired. McGonagall had taken over, and Hermione had come to take over Transfiguration and to Head Gryffindor.

The sunlight suddenly highlighted Sybil Trelawney's name, and Harry smiled. She had never seen her own death. Harry would never be Minister of Magic, although, like Dumbledore, he could be if he ever wanted it.

She had over-estimated the number of his children, as well. He and Luna had married in 2000, and would have five children over the next 20 years. After Ron's death, Luna had insisted Hermione and her son by Ron (Robert) move into the manor house they owned just outside Hogsmeade. Everyone suspected Harry was the father of Hermione's other child, but few knew that it had been Luna's idea -- just as it had been Luna who had convinced Harry to 'help' Padma and Georgia, who had not only still been together but hoping to start a family.

It had also been Luna who had suggested that Harry help out Neville and Ginny. As best the healers could tell, the cumulative effect of all the botched potions Neville had been forced to self-test in his first four and a half years at Hogwarts had rendered him sterile. Fortunately, Hermione had discovered a Muggle procedure which restored Neville to full function, and all six of Ginny's children were Neville's.

When the stories of Padma's and Georgia's children broke, Hermione had written an article, describing in very boring detail how Muggle artificial insemination worked. No one noticed that nowhere did any one say that was how any of Harry's children were created.

Harry smiled, as he nearly always did when he thought of his children, and now his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Harry smiled often, and it was nearly always over his children or their children, his loves, and the children of his friends. Ginny and Neville's. The Weasley twins, Bill and Charlie, and even Percy. Gin, Parvati, Lavender and Seamus, Justin, Ernie, Susan, Hannah, Lisa, and even Daphne -- all their children and grandchildren called him 'Uncle Harry.' Even Millicent and Gregory Goyle, who married when he was released from prison in 2005, had Harry stand as godfather to their three children.

That brought to mind the names of two students who had chosen paths not to be there: Draco and Bellatrix Malfoy. He privately always thought it was more amazing that Draco and Pansy had produced four intelligent, nice daughters than one evil son. He had broken up their Alliance for Pure-Blooded Power in 2047. Marcus had gone down fighting; Bellatrix was still in the Lucius Malfoy Hospital Prison for the Criminally Insane; Draco was still in prison from that second attempt with his sister and son.

"Beloved?"

Harry turned around and saw the light of his life, and smiled. "The Headmistress wishes to know if your meditation is over," Luna inquired.

"And I'm sure Hermione said it exactly like that," Harry said, still smiling. He waved his arm, and the students, staff, and visitors poured onto the great lawn.


Monday, March 30, 2172
6:55 am

Three elderly witches slowly walked out of Hogwarts Castle, which stood as it had stood for over 1200 years. They moved slowly, as they were over 190 years old. They were the last three surviving fighters from the battle of Hogwarts, and three close friends from even before the battle.

Their hair, once so different, were all shades of gray and white; all three were still slim and stood straight.

"This is the one day I miss him more than on his birthday," Ginny said.

"I think I miss him most on the First of September," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I just miss him," Luna said. "I hope he found answers on the other side."

"I miss him, and I miss Neville even more," Ginny said with a sudden smile, "but I'm still in no rush to follow."

Hermione heard the students coming out from the castle. There was no one even working at Hogwarts who had been at the battle, who remembered it, other than Peeves, Myrtle, the Bloody Baron, and Nearly-Headless Nick. Even the Fat Friar and the Grey Lady were gone, replaced by other ghosts.

"Aunt Hermione?" a voice said from behind them. The trio turned, and saw Harry Lupin, Remus and Tonks' eldest grandson and Hermione's successor as Headmaster thirty years before. "It's time to start the ceremony."


Saturday, March 30, 2497
6:55 am

Four students, one from each House, met in front of the Battle Memorial.

"It's hard to believe we're each direct male descendants of someone who fought here," Daniel Weasley, the Seventh year Gryffindor, said.

"Not to mention having a direct descendant of Harry Potter himself!" Warren Macmillan, a Third year Hufflepuff enthused.

"It's a pain in the butt sometimes," James Potter, a Sixth year Ravenclaw grumbled.

"Apparently, there weren't any Slytherins out here," James Trowbridge, a Fifth year Slytherin said. "Mine was bombarding giants from the Astronomy Tower."

"It all helped," James said.

"Why do we come out early like this every year?" Warren asked, this being his first time out first.

"This is when Tom Riddle launched the attack," a fifth voice said. "Harry came out here at this time every year while he was alive. After that, the three women who were his most faithful followers came out first. After the last died, three hundred years ago tomorrow, a representative from each House comes out, to stand for unity."

"Hi, Aunt Ginny," the four students said, welcoming the Gryffindor ghost.

"You haven't done a full Telling since my First year," James told her.

"Then I will Tell the Story this afternoon and tonight," Ginny said with a smile. "The story of a powerful, amoral wizard who was afraid to die, of the most powerful and broadest-trained wizard since Merlin, and of a small orphan boy who inspired the magical world. I shall tell the tale of the Philosopher's Stone, of the Chamber of Secrets, of the Marauders, of Cedric Diggory and the Tri-Wizard Championship, and of the Three Prophecies."

The students and staff of Hogwarts had gathered around them, and the helpful ghost called Aunt Ginny by all, once again a reflection of her beautiful self at 17, smiled at them all. She would keep the memory of all of them fresh as long as she could. In the end, all would be forgotten, but even then, perhaps little tendrils of goodness would grow from this story. "Most of all, I will tell the story of Albus Dumbledore and especially Harry Potter, and the pledge they, and we students at the time, made. A pledge that has insured that, because we have kept it, we have had no wizard as evil or powerful as Tom Riddle, although a few have tried. I shall tell the tale, so that in the telling, you shall what?"

"REMEMBER CEDRIC DIGGORY!" the Hufflepuffs shouted.

"AND ALL THE INNOCENTS, SLAUGHTERED!" the students and staff responded.

Ginny smiled, since she knew there could be happy endings, even for a small abused boy with messy hair and a scar.
Sign up to rate and review this story