Categories > Original > Drama > Shiver

*Prologue*

by XSilverChainsX 1 review

She needs to know why her world is caving in

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama, Horror, Romance - Warnings: [R] [V] - Published: 2005-10-31 - Updated: 2005-11-01 - 957 words

0Unrated


The room was tiny. Too tiny in fact. Her eyes darted back and forth between the two men seated in front of her, their police badges were on the table, and her eyes kept flickering back to them. She hadn't done anything. What had they been told? One of the men had been looking at her with a sort of smugness in his deep- set green eyes, his broad shoulders hunched slightly as he let a breath go, obviously losing his patience with her. Did someone think she had done something and called the cops? "Bullshit." She muttered harshly under her breath and pushed her long hair out of her eyes. She was never one for confrontation unless given a reason. "What did you say?" He asked quietly. He hadn't spoken since she'd arrived. He brushed his fingers through his long black hair and blinked at her, his blue eyes looked hazy behind silver-rimmed glasses. He had a good-natured face, kind eyes, and his mouth seemed to curve into a gentle smile as he stared at her.
"I said that this was bullshit." She glared slightly at the two before taking to biting her lip for a moment. "I don't even know what I'm doing here. I can charge you both with kidnapping."
"You may leave anytime you wish," the youngest said politely as he heard her chair scrape back. "but in this instance I would advise against it." His eyes narrowed as his partner--clearly fed up--snorted obnoxiously.
"Yes, it would not be wise of you, Miss Beck." replied the man with the cold eyes.
"Why the hell not? What's going on?"
"Better watch that mouth, missy, or you'll be in more trouble."
"Who the hell-" she had went to ask him who the hell he thought he was talking to her that way when she was surprisingly cut off.
"Sarah," he addressed her directly, and frowned at her, his cerulean eyes hesitant. "we really need your cooperation for this. Do you know of a boy named Kain?" Kain? She sat up a bit straighter now, looking more alert, almost scared. "Sarah?"
"I..." why couldn't she speak?
"You what? You know him, don't you?" There was that flat, snarling gaze again.
"I'm sorry," she shook her head. "I don't know him."
"Damnit! Can't you see what she's doing? She's-"
"Would you shut up?" He stood abruptly, his lenses shimmering in the light, and he advanced on his partner. "No wonder she's so freaked. I think I ought to take it from here." Wordlessly the older man stormed away. Breathing slowly, he smiled delicately. "Now, Sarah," she stared faintly at the name tag on his uniform. Delaney. He sat down and glanced at the door behind her right shoulder. "I'd like to apologize for two things; first was our way of taking you from your class, it was meant to be subtle. Secondly, I'd like to apologize for my partner, he can be a bit hostile at times. Nevertheless we really need to sort this matter out."
"What exactly is the matter?" Her gray eyes closed slightly and she leaned back in the chair, her long hair falling in sheets around her pallid face. "Did something," she bit her lip and her voice dropped dramatically. "happen to Kain?"
Detective Delaney smiled brazenly at her and removed his glasses. His fingers moved in a slow massaging motion against the bridge of his nose before he put them back on. "Ah, so you do know him. I'm quite impressed you were able to fool him," his gaze was slow and cool. "but not me. I saw the way you looked when you said you did not know him. All Detective Reid saw was a lying delinquent."
"But I'm-" she started carefully.
"I know. I did a background check before we got here. But you need to tell me what you know so we can leave. It's past three now and I've got to get back soon or my boss will skin me alive."
"We dated at the start of term," she offered and he stared intently at her. "it was only for a week though then we stopped talking. I didn't even know he hadn't been in school. He and I have no classes together."
"Did he ever talk about his family at all?"
"No, he wasn't really speaking to his dad much. And his mom died awhile back."
"I see. Did he have any brothers or sisters?"
"A half-brother. He was adopted. His name was Izumi."
"He's Japanese?" He lifted an eyebrow slightly.
"That's what Kain told me. I had never met his family." Sarah looked at her hands and then pulled them out of his reach and onto her lap. He tilted his head slightly and blinked. "We weren't really that into each other, I guess."
"Or maybe he had a secret that he didn't want anyone knowing?"
Sarah suddenly bent down and picked up her bag. "I need to get home." And she was gone before he could say anything else. She brushed past Reid and he called after her. She ignored him. She swept out of the building and stepped around the corner. She relaxed against the wall. You told me this was over. You promised me. She was on the ground when she forced her eyes open, but she wasn't alone.
"Promises were made to be broken." He pulled her closer and she jerked away, completely terrified. "People die every day, it's only natural that you will as well for your part in all of this."
When she lifted her head, he had vanished, leaving only a trail of weak fog behind. It looked strange in the sunlight as she watched it fade.






















Sign up to rate and review this story