Categories > Original > Horror > DarkSight

DarkSight

by iskaviisheart 1 review

Something is killing people in the sleepy town of Blackridge, AZ. Sixteen year old Samantha Catherwood has moved there with her mother who hopes the quiet town will put an end to the girl's violent...

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy, Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2007-05-11 - Updated: 2007-05-11 - 1927 words

0Unrated
AN: just a story created from my insomniac brain. I like it though so I think I will keep working on it. not betaed so please excuse any mistakes, kindly point them out and i will fix them. my first story so any pointers would be helpful.


DarkSight

Ch. 1

I don't like this place. I know I only just moved here, the boxes that lie half opened around the room say as much, but I don't like it. It wasn't until tonight that I figured out why. It's the night here. It's wrong. I have always found the night to be my sanctuary, my place to escape from the harsh realities that daylight shows, mocking us with light, light that shows pain. The darkness hides, conceals, protects the secrets, the pain, protects me. Back home, the night comforted me. I was safe in it's dark embrace, free to be who I was, who I couldn't be in the daytime, because it protected me. Not here. The night here was my enemy. It was raw, primal, devouring. There was no safe haven in the dark here for me and for the first time in my life I am afraid. Afraid of the dark. I huddle close to my computer, safe in that small bubble of light. The dark hid something twisted here, the dark did not welcome me here. I wanted to go home.

Sheriff Andrew Somerton looked up at the polite knock on the door to his office. A robust man in his mid-thirties, Somerton had been sheriff here for ten years and knew every face in town, which is why he was surprised to see an unfamiliar woman standing in the doorway. She was dressed plainly in jeans and a button-up blouse with tawny hair pulled back into a serviceable ponytail. She was about his age or a bit older he would guess and stared at him with a polite and unhesitant smile.

Somerton sat up and motioned for her to come inside. "Is the there something I can do for you ma'am?" he asked.

"No, my name is Maggie Catherwood, my daughter and I just moved to town. I just wanted to introduce myself." she said cheerfully.

"Pleasure to meet you ma'am and welcome to Blackridge. You bought the old Heatherton place right? Up at the end of Blackhorse Lane?" he asked, remembering that Jim Crawley, the postman, had mentioned that someone had bought the place.

"Yes, it's such a lovely place, what with all the roses in bloom," she said taking his offer of the chair.

"Yes that it is. What is it that you do Mrs. Catherwood?" he asked conversationally.

"Oh, Web Design, I get to work from home what better kind of job could there be?" she said with a grin.

"Not many," the Sheriff replied with a laugh.

"Mom?"

Somerton turned to see a young girl standing in the doorway. Dressed in dark blue jeans and a black top, the sixteen year-old was a perfect miniature of her mother. Except for her eyes. While she had her mother's same friendly smile, piercing jade eyes warned him away with a cold, knowing look.

"Oh, Sam honey come meet sheriff Somerton. Sheriff this is my daughter Samantha." Mrs. Catherwood introduced.

"Nice to meet you, young lady." Somerton greeted her warmly.

"You too, sir." she said politely. The frosty look in her eyes did not dim even as her smile remained open and friendly.

"Mom, I'll be in the car ok?" she asked.

"ure honey I wont be much longer," her mother agreed.

Sam nodded and turned back out into the main office. She had a feeling she would come to respect that sheriff, he hadn't trusted her, she could tell. She made her way outside of the police station to stand in the glaring sun that beat down on the little backwater called Blackridge, Arizona. Sam pulled on a pair of shades, rose colored she picked purposely to hide the vivid green of her eyes. She did not draw away from the light and stand in the shaded porch as she normally would have done. She couldn't stand in the dark here, she had to learn to hide in the light.

I know it can find me in the dark. But it's afraid of the light, far more than I am, and it wont follow me here. If I am lucky it will not know me. I too moved through the dark, and though it will not shelter me here I know how to use it to my advantage.

Sam made her way back to the maroon SUV that belonged to her mother. She slid into the passenger seat and glanced down at the bag on the floor. It was filled with school supplies reminding Sam that she would be starting a new high school in the morning, certainly not something the 16 year old was looking forward to. Sam grimaced at the thought of going through all the social motions to establish a loose group of friends who would never get to see the person hidden under the polite smile. More people to look at her askance when she had one of her "episodes" in the hallway, more people to pretend for, just what Sam wanted. She kicked the bag lightly in a pseudo-rebellious attempt to feel better. It didn't really work but she could pretend it had, she was good at pretending.


Aubrey Ayres sat at his computer rubbing his temples and going over his lesson plans for the first day. He was too young to be a teacher, too close to his students in age for them to ever see him as an authority figure and, he admitted ruefully, too old to be in high school again. The was a knock at the door. He looked up to see Kate Saunders, the sophomore history teacher standing in the doorway. She was only a couple of years older then he was and the two had formed a bond. It was nice to have a friend near his own age to set against rest of the forty year old staff. He smiled warmly as the busty brunette walked over to his desk. It was a shame she was involved with the sheriff's younger brother, as she was quite attractive. Not that she'd look twice at you Aubrey my friend, he reminded himself.

"Ready for hell to begin?" she asked wryly.

"Now now, we are supposed to care for and nurture the little angels," he responded, flicking some of his pale blonde bangs out of his eyes.

"Little hellions more like," she snorted. "Anyway all your plans ready?"

Aubrey returned to glaring at his computer. "Yes, for the most part I think."

She patted his shoulder sympathetically. "So you going on that date with Jaclyn tonight?" She asked sitting on the edge of his desk.

"No, she cancelled again, I think she said she had to do something for the sheriff tonight," Aubrey said with false good cheer.

Kate frowned, Jaclyn had a reputation and it did not sit well with her how the woman toyed with her kind-hearted friend's affections. She wanted to say something to Aubrey, and she had tried before, but he refused to see the bad in people. Or at least in anyone but himself.

"Well Rory's out of town tonight how about I cook us up some dinner myself?" She offered brightly. "C'mon, I make a mean pasta salad." she asses when he hesitated.

Aubrey chuckled, "I suppose, if only relieve you of your loneliness."

"Ooh such a gentleman," she laughed, hopping off his desk. "See you at seven?"

"I'll be there," Aubrey promised.

"Alright see ya then, handsome," she said as she walked out the door.

Aubrey smacked his head down on the desk a few times. It always seems to help in the movies but Aubrey concluded that the only thing it helped with here was making his headache worse.

"I'm such an idiot," he muttered into the polished wood.


Andrew Benali whistled as he walked down the darkened driveway that lead to Jaclyn McGrath's little cabin. He felt the prickling of eyes on his back and tried to shrug it off. He wasn't about to admit that these woods scared him and he just wanted to turn around and run back to his truck. He also wasn't about to do that, not when he was on his way to getting a nice piece of ass named Jaclyn. He did however increase his pace and the volume of his whistling.

There was a snap of a twig off to his left and Andrew froze, peering into the darkness, trying to see what was there.

"H-hello?" he called shakily.

Nothing.

"It was just a raccoon, man get over yourself." he said aloud.

He began moving up the road again at a pace that was not quite a jog. He made it no more then a hundred steps when a crash in the underbrush to his right made him freeze again. It sounded to large to be a raccoon. His mind instantly conjured up the string of bear attacks that happened ten years ago. He'd only been 17 at the time but he remembered the local paper talking about how the bodies had been ripped open and eviscerated.

"Just a raccoon, just a raccoon," he repeated to himself.

Another crash sounded from his left and he whimpered. This time he did not hesitate to break into a run. Neither did whatever was following him. He could hear it in the brush along side the drive just a few paces behind him. He rounded the bend and saw the light's of Jaclyn's cabin just ahead. If he could make it...

Sam sat up in bed screaming at the images that flashed behind her eyes.

A dark, wooded stretch of road. Blood stained gravel. Animal eyes caught in headlight.

Emotions surged through her making her nauseated.

Pain. Fear. Hunger. Glee. Fear. Anger. Pain.

She bolted, disoriented, for her trash can and retched. After a few moments the heaving stopped and she felt cool hands on her forehead. She leaned back into her mother's embrace.

"Oh, sweetie, not again," her mother murmured. "These nightmare's of yours are worrying me."

"Someone's dead," Sam whispered hoarsely. "It got him."

"Sam! Stop this at once. It was just a nightmare," her mother said sternly, turning Sam to face her.

"Yeah, mom, just a nightmare," Sam repeated obediently. "I'm going to go back to sleep now," she said removing herself from her mother's embrace.

Her mother frowned but got up and headed to the door.

"Mom," Sam's voice stopped her in the doorway.

"It wasn't a bear, no matter what they say." Sam rolled over so her backed faced the door, signaling she was done talking.

With a sigh her mother headed back to her own bed.

I can feel it sated and happy now and I try to pull my mind away before it senses me. I can't let it find me. Not ever. I know they will find the body soon. The sheriff will be there in a few minutes and though he know it is something else he will say it was a bear attack or a mountain lion. It's safe that way. That way you don't have to be afraid of the dark.

AN: Ok so thats ch1 review and make a newbie writer feel good!

oh and Blackridge, AZ doesn't exist but if it did it would be somewhere north of Flagstaff.
Sign up to rate and review this story