Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Unexpected Endeavors

And Now for Something Completely Different (part one)

by scottishfae 0 reviews

IYFG Nominee // An unexpected request rocks the shard hunting group when Kagome, mistakenly, agrees to the deal. Now the group must not only deal with the end of their quest but a moody Kagome, an ...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor, Parody, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Kirara, Koga, Miroku, Naraku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Published: 2007-05-18 - Updated: 2007-05-19 - 3088 words

0Unrated
A/Ns: I will have review responses in the next chapter update. I've been a bit...I don't know insane as of late. I am officially a college grad now. I'm working towards getting into grad school now. Wish me luck.

I'll admit that this chapter (which, gasps, has a title) is here partly because I've hit a block with this story. I have things that I want to happen but every time I sit down to write it, I just can't seem to get anything to work. This story has come a long way from what I originally planned. But I won't abandon it. I want to finish it. I have such spectacular plans. Enjoy this chapter and don't forget to leave me a review. Thanks to everyone who has left me friendly notes, concrit, and just helpful comments.

BTW, I swear some of you are psychic because at least three of you have guessed certain plans/plot surprises I was going to use. I hate you and your omniscient abilities. Just Kidding! Love you all!

And now for something completely different...(Part One)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

The agonized cries echoed through the palace estate. Servants rushed around in a frenzy bringing needed items to the building across from the main building. In a personal study, shoji screens opened for the spring morning air, InuTaisho and his eldest son sat lounging over a plethora of decadent pillows. The Inu Lord sipped on his sake, listening as the screams continued. His newest wife, a human beauty with long, dark tresses and ivory skin, sat in the corner, legs tucked under her. With each scream she flinched, her shaking hands coming to cover her own stomach.

Sesshomaru tried his best to continue his reading. The book remained in his hand, opened to the same spot it had been for the past hour.

"Do not fret," InuTaisho's deep voice resounded. "She will be fine. She is hardy, if nothing else."

The younger inuyoukai looked at his father. "Why cannot I go to her?"

"It's not a place for men to be. This is a woman's ordeal, let them keep it to themselves."

"But he's in there," he whispered.

"Well that is his decision to do so. You are the heir to the Western Lands, my boy. Take pride in that fact and continue your studies."

Sesshomaru looked across the courtyard. An elderly woman came out of one of the rooms and yelled for one of the servants to bring more hot water. Moments later a young inuyoukai girl came down from the kitchen with a large kettle of boiling water. The elderly woman, the midwife, took the kettle and reentered the room. Sesshomaru only caught a glimpse of his mother laying on her futon, writhing in pain.

"Maybe it's best for you to do something else, Sesshomaru-sama," a quite voice said from behind them.

The inuyoukai looked back at the newest of his father's wives, Izayoi. She smiled prettily at him. "Would you accompany me on a small walk through the meadows adjoining the palace? I'd really like to get exercise but I don't want to go by myself. I get tired so quickly these days."

"That is a good sign," InuTaisho replied.

He sat up and walked over to the human. He reseated himself next to her and put his large hand over hers on her stomach. Her belly had just begun to swell with the new life within it. He smiled down at her, his eyes soft with a joyous emotion. Sesshomaru kept his eyes adverted.

"It looks like rain later," the younger inuyoukai exclaimed. "If you'd like to take a walk, we should do it now."

InuTaisho gave his eldest son an approving look. "Good boy," he said.

He helped his wife up and led her to Sesshomaru. He stood and offered his arm to her. She took it and he escorted her down the hill, away from the main buildings of the palace and towards the meadow she often frequented.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He had felt the presence as soon as it had left the main palace grounds. Sesshomaru stood near the human he was currently watching. She was sitting on the ground, legs held closely to her side, weaving flowers together. She had a large collection piled next to her, most of which she had insisted Sesshomaru pick for her.

She looked up when the other inuyoukai walked up to them. She smiled, giving him a slight nod before going back to her work.

"He was lost," the newcomer said quietly.

Silver hair bellowed around both inuyoukai as the wind changed. Sesshomaru looked sideways. "Just as well," he spoke coldly. "I do not need another bastard brother."

"Sesshomaru," Izayoi admonished.

"I speak only of the truth. They are bastards; no marriage holds their conception formally together."

"You could be a little more polite," she said.

She sent a pitying looking towards the younger inuyoukai, who was obviously hurting. "Are you okay Haru-chan? How is your mother doing? May I help in anyway?"

Haru shook his head. "My mother is upset over the loss of her child. She asks for Sesshomaru-sama," he said, barely with holding the obvious detest he held for his mother's request.

"Ah, I'm afraid I've kept him from her. Sesshomaru-sama, go to your mother. Haru-chan will help me back."

The elder inuyoukai shook his head. "No, father entrusted me to watch over you and that is what I shall do."

She nodded, knowing how stubborn the son of her husband could get. Like father like son, they said. For not the first time, she put her hand on the swell of belly and wished for a girl.

"Well then I shall wrap up my time here. It is getting colder anyway, the storm must be nearing. We can all three return together."

Sesshomaru looked at his half-brother next to him. He was staring back at him.

"Help me dear," Izayoi said.

The Western heir moved to take her hand. He helped her up and once again offered her his arm. She smiled at him, patting his cheek with obvious affection. "Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama."

He nodded at her. "Haru-chan," she said.

The small child bristled at her pet name for him. "Will you bring those flowers with you, the ones on the ground there," she indicated to him with her hand. "I would like to arrange them for your mother's room. Do you think she would like that?"

"She doesn't like the flowers from this meadow," Haru said. "She says they're common and ugly."

Izayoi's face fell in disappointment. "Oh, I should have known. Your mother has just splendid taste; of course she would want only the best. Maybe I can send one of the servants out-"

"She will love the new addition to her room," Sesshomaru interrupted. "The colour and fragrance will do her good, at the moment."

"But, Haru said-"

"The foolish talk of a child pouting. Do not worry," he said. "She will appreciate them."

A hint of a smile crossed her face, silently thanking him for her kindness. He nodded in return and gently urged her along up the hill to the palace again. Haru followed, flowers gripped in tight fists at his sides.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Really Sesshomaru, those clothes look ridiculous. Could you not choose something more dignified? Think of your position!"

The Western heir ignored his mother's belligerent remarks. His father looked him over, trying not to crack a smile, as his son stood before him dressed in the clothes of their guest. A diplomat from overseas had come to speak to InuTaisho and it seems the man had rubbed off on his eldest son. They had spent many of nights speaking about the lands over the sea and the stories that the diplomat had come with. And now he had adopted the same clothing.

"I think Sesshomaru-sama looks very handsome in those clothing," the other woman in the room spoke.

InuTaisho looked over to his human wife. She sat against the wall behind him and to his right. Her stomach had grown and the child inside was ready to come. She smiled at her husband before returning attention to the other inuyoukai.

"Those type of clothes suit you well, Sesshomaru-sama. We will be flooded with letters from nobles all over, requesting you join with their daughters."

She giggled a little bit, while Sesshomaru blushed ever so slightly. InuTaisho laughed heartedly at his youngest wife. He leaned back slightly and reached out a strong hand to place it on her stomach. He smile threatened to crack his face when he felt the kick answering his touch.

"That will hardly be any of your business," the female inuyoukai snapped.

"Mother," Sesshomaru admonished.

InuTaisho scowled at his eldest wife. "Let him have his clothing, as he wishes. As long as he doesn't wear them to official functions, nor that he requests being sent oversees, then I don't see how it is a problem."

Sesshomaru bit his lip; this was exactly what he was going to ask, eventually. It seemed his father was aware of this fact too.

"Father," he began, cautiously. "Don't you think it would be in good faith to send a diplomat back, to further establish relations?"

"That's my boy, taking interest of the ins and outs of being Taiyoukai," InuTaisho said, beaming with pride. "And so much like me too. I agree with your assessment and preparations have already been made."

Sesshomaru's eyes widened. He allowed himself to hope a bit.

"Haru will be going with our diplomat friend, on behalf of the House of Inu and the Western Lands."

The younger inuyoukai didn't hide his disappointment. His mother looked scornfully at him before moving her gaze out into the courtyard where her younger son was practicing his swordsmanship with one of his cousins. He was still so small for his age, looking no more than ten."

"Father, I had hoped that someone older and more experienced could-"

"Don't be silly Sesshomaru," his mother spoke. "You could hardly be allowed to go. You are the heir to the House of Inu and all that is under its powers. Stop disgracing your heritage and accept your responsibilities."

Sesshomaru's jaw snapped with an audible click and his golden eyes hardened. InuTaisho sat looking at his son, not bothering to add any further to the truths his first wife spoke.

With a curt bow, he excused himself from the presence of his elders. He walked out into the courtyard, the two sparring in it stopping at once to bow. He waved them off, pushing through both their forms as he walked briskly by.

A small grove of trees had taken root at the base of the hill, just within the palace grounds. He moved towards them to spend the rest of his day, away from his family.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Sesshomaru-sama," his retainer squawked. "You mustn't be so childish. Stop sulking and come down from there. It is time for your bath."

The inuyoukai heir ignored the toad, gazing out onto the lands he would one day inherit. "What if I said that I didn't want them? What would happen?"

He had mumbled it, not intending on anyone hearing him. A gasp from his retainer alerted to him that he was not so careful at concealing his words as he had hoped.

"What are you saying Sesshomaru-sama? Why would you deny such an honor? Why would you disgrace the House of Inu?"

A giggle was heard coming slowly closer to the grove. "What has he done now Jaken to `disgrace the House of Inu'?" she mocked.

Sesshomaru jumped down and approached Izayoi. She waddled down the hill slowly. He offered his hand as a means of balance. She sent him a thankful smile in return and took his hand.

"Sesshomaru-sama wants to refuse the title of heir!"

She gasped, her free hand coming up to cover her mouth in shock. "Sesshomaru-sama, but why?"

He looked down to the valley. "It was just a musing," he said, quietly. "You need to think nothing of it. It will pass."

An arm encircled his and it was brought in a tight hug. "I am sorry," she said. "That I cannot give you a proper hug, but I'm afraid I'm too large to even reach you normally."

He gave a wary smile at her kindness.

"What has brought on this type of thinking, Sesshomaru-sama?" she asked. "Is it this whole business about going overseas?"

"It's more than that, but that is part of it. As heir I am afforded privileges beyond what most people, human or youkai, could ever imagine, much less hope for."

"And yet...?" she urged.

He gave a sigh. "With all the privileges and honors, and everything that comes with my title and future title, there is one thing that I can never have...freedom. The freedom to choose what I wish without having to think back upon how it will look or affect my titles."

"But Sesshomaru-sama, no one has that freedom."

The future Taiyoukai looked over to the human next to him. She had her head cocked to the side and was smiling at him with a soft, gentle smile. "Even the peasant in the fields has to consider the consequences of what he does on how it will affect him and his family, and I would say you have much more freedom than they."

"So we are all bound to title and positions, whether they are Taiyoukai or peasant?"

"It sounds depressing when you say it like that," she mumbled.

Jaken was standing off to their left, looking out over the fields trying to afford his retainer and Izayoi some privacy.

"The trick is," she said. "Finding means of enjoying your lot in life, whether it be gallivanting off into spectacular battles and wooing young women, both particular favorites of your father's."

Sesshomaru snorted. "His `spectacular battles' will be the death of him someday, mark my words."

The human hit him on his arm lightly, admonishing him for saying such a thing out loud. "Or," she continued more seriously. "You find enjoyment in spending time with your family more often. Like Haru-"

"No."

"But Sesshomaru-sama, he follows you around like a puppy."

"He is a puppy. No."

"He just wants to be with you, you're his only brother."

"No."

A silence stretched between them before again the woman spoke. "You aren't going to be like this for Naoko, are you?"

Sesshomaru looked over at the woman, one brow cocked. "Naoko?"

She pouted. "I want a girl. Boys are so boring and troublesome."

The inuyoukai smirked but said nothing else. The two of them gazed out over the Western Lands. A quiet peace filtered between the two as the remainder of the day filtered away under the horizon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was the day before Haru was scheduled to depart with the diplomat that the impending birth occurred. Sesshomaru sat with his mother and half-brother in a room next to InuTaisho's study. The Taiyoukai paced the room, growling low at each scream of his human wife.

"He wasn't this worried over mother's last birth," Haru mumbled to himself.

Sesshomaru heard and replied in an equally low tone. "Our mother is a youkai, and a strong one at that. He did not have to concern himself about her survival. Izayoi is human and the birth her child will be tedious and dangerous."

They had not done a good job of covering their voices for their mother spoke next. "It is why neither of you should bother with human wives," she said. "They die so easily, as well as their offspring."

The growl from the room over increased in intensity. "Weigh carefully what you say," InuTaisho said through the screen. "Your words sound a bit too much like threats to me."

The female inuyoukai narrowed her eyes. In a flat, forced tone she replied to her husband. "I would never harm such a beloved person to you, Sesshomaru-sama."

Sesshomaru's eyes furrowed. His mother's claws were extended and ripping through the expensive layers of her kimono. Next to him, his younger half-brother growled low in his throat."

"Quiet both of you," Sesshomaru ordered.

His mother's eyes shot up, surprise evident. "Impertinent little pup, I am your mother-"

"And I am the heir to the Western Lands," he interrupted. "Drop these futile acts of jealousy. Your son leaves tomorrow. Shouldn't you be spending time with him?

Haru's growling stopped and he looked over to his mother. Her eyes were diverted towards the courtyard. The screaming had ceased while they were arguing and the women were scuttling around less.

One approached the building, bowing low at the Taiyoukai. Sesshomaru stood and moved outside to overhear. "InuTaisho-sama," she said. "Congratulations, you have another son."

InuTaisho smile widely. He turned to his heir. "Another son."

"Izayoi will be disappointed, she wanted a girl."

"She'll be happy. I'll let her dress him up in pretty little kimono's while he is still young. You can blackmail him later for it."

Sesshomaru barked out laughter. He nodded his head.

"Come boy, let's go see my wife and son. You should be introduced to your newest brother, after all."

InuTaisho jumped off the raised platform and jogged across the courtyard to the building housing his wife. Sesshomaru turned to formally excuse himself from the room.

"You should not see that child," his mother said. "He will be the ruin of you, just wait and see. InuTaisho will strip your title from you and give it to that half-breed."

Sesshomaru snorted. "And you're becoming delusional. No half-breed could take my place as heir. They simply wouldn't be strong enough."

"Just you wait, Sesshomaru, the mutt will become his favorite and you'll be left in the shadows with your brother and I."

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes, turning from the room. Without another word said, he followed his father's path to see his youngest half-brother.

"I hope that child dies too," the female inuyoukai growled lowly.

Haru looked up startled at his mother. Her eyes were seething with anger and the edges had turned partially red. She stood from her spot and moved to return to her chambers.

"Mother?" Haru said, standing up and following her.

"Go away boy," she growled. "Leave me alone."

With a flip of her hand she quickened her pace, leaving her youngest son in the hallway staring after her.

The next morning, without saying another word to his family, Haru left with the diplomat for his extended stay overseas.

TBC...
Sign up to rate and review this story