Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > If Only

If Only

by kimper 1 review

Renji reflects. (One Shot!)

Category: Bleach - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Abarai Renji, Kuchiki Rukia - Published: 2005-11-20 - Updated: 2005-11-20 - 529 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Written for the lj community 7snogs.
Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach.

If Only

Growing up in Rukongai was anything but easy, although in hindsight, it had been a helluva lot more straightforward than the fricking twisted up mess his life was now. True, everything they'd had, clothes, meals, even their friendship had been fought for, but there had been no confusion, no feelings to get in the way, no emotions convoluting everyday life. He'd always know exactly where he stood, granted it hadn't been anywhere but it was his spot dammit, theirs together. He didn't know what the hell they were now, but deep inside he knew he'd missed his chance at their being anything more.

One thing never changed, he consciously, firmly decided, it was constant and would always be true, her presence made all the difference, days were brighter, more hopeful when she was near.

Drinking sake and watching as the sun sank lazily down, hiding in the safety beyond the horizon, he remembered the sunsets they had shared so many lifetimes ago.

"It looks like a bright, burning flame, sent to destroy us all," she excitedly decided. "Board the windows! Hide the food! It's coming for us!"

He watched as, in his mind, she dissolved into light-hearted childish giggles, something they had rarely gotten to do. Only during their cherished game had she been able to behave like that. He realized now that their stolen time together had kept him sane. Those treasured, hidden moments had served as a great distraction from the hatred, the filth of their everyday lives.

They always met for sunset whenever able. It was their time to forget reality and deal in fantasy.

Jumping to his feet, Renji joined in.

"I'll save you Rukia! Run and hide, I'll protect you!" he yelled, brandishing the tree branch that served as his sword. Running forward he stabbed at his imaginary foe, "Take that, and that! Die you monster! You will never get your hands on us!"

Stumbling backward, he grasped his heart and fell, flipping over to crawl pitifully toward where Rukia stood. "I've failed you, oh beautiful princess! I've failed you..." With that he fell over, unmoving, waiting to see what she'd decide next.

"Oh handsome knight, I will finish what you have started! Your death won't be in vain!" she loudly, fiercely proclaimed.

He watched as she hurled herself forward, tree branch swinging wildly, determined to defeat their enemy, squeezing his eyes tightly shut when she finished and turned.

Foe vanquished, she raced back to his side, kneeling, pulling the still, silent head softly into her lap, tenderly, lightly stroking his forehead.

"I'll restore you brave warrior. A kiss on the lips will breathe the life back into you."

Cracking his eyelids, he saw her licking her lips, puckering them and leaning toward him, her intentions clear.

Jumping up, he let her have it.

"Eww yuck Rukia! What are ya tryin' ta do?! Kill me for real!"

Stomping away he didn't let her see the slight smile, trying it's best to twist his lips.


If only he'd taken her up on her offer then...

A/N: Please Read And Review!
Sign up to rate and review this story