Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Something I Treasure

Chapter 1: A Charm of a Birthday

by SapphireShell91 0 reviews

Tohru's birthdays coming up, and the boy's don't know what to get her

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Arisa, Ayame, Hatori, Hatsuharu, Hiro, Kagura, Kisa, Kyo, Momiji, Saki, Shigure, Tohru, Yuki - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-06-15 - Updated: 2007-06-16 - 3765 words

0Unrated
Author's Note: Chapter 1, i like, it just intruducing you to the story, actually it's not, i don't know how long this is going to be but i hope by chapter 4, things start to move into a dark direction.

"I want to give Tohru the bestest, best present in the whole world." Momiji
yelled, skipping in front of the group, out of reach of his orange hair cousin, who looked close to strangling him.
"You and me both, kid." Said a blonde hair girl, laughing as the orange hair boy lunge at the bouncy, bright blonde hair boy, who expertly dodged the attack and duck beside a white hair, black root youth, who was a clearly oblivious to what was going on around him.
"But sadly the perfect gift no longer exists." Said a dark hair girl, her dark braid sway eerily in the non existed wind, she had been walking silently a long side the blonde girl, the whole time, not saying a word until now.
"Gee, Hana," said the blonde hair girl, placing a hand to her forehead, "way to go and burst the bubble, why don't ya."
"I apologize, but what I say is true." Hana said; shrugging her shoulder blankly, after glancing around the rather strange looking group, she fell back into her silent creepy state.
"err, what does Miss Hanajima, mean exactly?" asked a grey, silver high lighted hair boy, his violet eyes wide with curiosity, the blonde hair girl was amused that a simple comment could catch all the boys attention at once, even orange top had stopped trying to kill hyper boy for a moment. Even space out was looking mildly interested, maybe he wasn't so space out as she thought he was.
"ah, it's nothing really," the blonde hair girl said, wanting to tease them, orange top in particular.
"If it's nothing then why did you mention it?" Orange top bellowed ignoring the fact that it was actually Hana who had brought it up not her.
"Arisa, it might just be kinder to just tell them, don't you think." Hana mumbled calmly looking from the two boys who looked the most interested.
"ok, then," Arisa said, grinning, "when Tohru was younger, I mean about six or seven, she had this charm bracelet that her dad gave her when he was still alive and every time he went away he would buy her a new charm for her bracelet, but after her father died it was quite some time before anyone add anything to it. Anyway, when she was either six or seven (I can't remember which),it was still around when she was still being tease by those snot nose boys. One day she was being chase by them and she lost her bracelet, cause she never took it off, at the time she didn't realise she lost it, I think it took two to three hours after she finally got home she notice it was missing, but by that time it was already dark, and Kyoko wouldn't let her go out again not after all they had been through that day, the next day they went out looking for it, but Tohru couldn't remember where she had lost it exactly or even what route she had run. Of cause they never found it again and Tohru was really, really guilty afterwards for losing it. So yeah, I think she's still guilty about losing it to this day."
"And the point of that story is?" Orange top asked, waving his arms about angrily.
"Oh, the perfect birthday present for Tohru is to either find her old charm bracelet (which is really unlikely after all these years) or you get her a new charm bracelet." Arisa said, grinning.
"Err, question what charms do we buy to put on her charm bracelet if we got her one" the white hair, black root boy asked blankly.
Wow, Arisa thought, so space out was listening.
"The 12 Zodiac," Momiji yelled, "ah plus the Cat" he added noticing the death look on orange tops face.
"Err?" Arisa said, glancing at Hana, the 12 Zodiac, plus the Cat. Well Tohru was always saying how much she liked the cat and how she would like there to be a year of the Cat fan club. And she loved the Story of the 12 Zodiac and Cat, so maybe this would be good idea.
"What a wonderful idea." Said Hana smiling, which was just as creepy as when her face was blank maybe even more so.
"Come on, come on. Let's go, let's go." Momiji squealed loudly making many people pasting by looked at him strangely trying to figure out how old he was and if he was a boy or girl.
"Go where, you little bunny brat." Orange top yelled, trying to grab Momiji, who gleefully jumped away from him, the grey hair boy stood to side acting like he didn't know or was related to any other them.
"Silly Kyo," Momiji laugh, "were going to buy Tohru present." Kyo blinked at him a couple of times.
"We're what, since when? What the hell are we getting her?" he yelled as Momiji grabbed his wrist and started to drag him down the street being careful not to bump into anyone.
"I suppose we should follow them." Sighed the grey hair boy, thinking he's rather be else where in the world then here, away from all the commotion that HIS relatives were causing.
"Oh, cheer up Prince, this is for Tohru birthday, be grateful." Arisa yelled at him, already walking down the street with Hana.
"Yeah, Yuki, cheer up." Space out said, walking rather blankly after the rest.
He must be thinking about Rin, and wondering how she's going. Yuki thought, following after the group.
"Here we are." Momiji said, fling his arms out to a small Jewellery store, they all now standing in front of.
"Arr, it looks kind of small." Yuki said, wondering if a place like this would really sell Zodiac charms.
"Looks kind of crappy." said Kyo, his arms crossed against his chest, glaring at the small shop before him.
"Aw, Kyo don't be mean." Momiji said, tugging at his shirt sleeve, impatiently. "Anyway, if Tohru where here she say it look cute and home like." Momiji said, sincerely, but Yuki notice the slyness in his voice. He really knows now how to get Kyo to do what he wants, Yuki thought sighing, he just has mention Tohru name and that she would like it and Kyo is in the palm of his hand. Yuki shook his head; this whole group had a weakness for Tohru in some way or other, well maybe not Haru. Yuki glance at his tall, younger cousin, then again maybe he does have a weakness for her, really because of Her Rin is staying put and is talking to him. Yuki smiled slightly it was amusing to think how much they had come to rely on Tohru.
"Oy, Prince, ya coming" Arisa called to him, from the doorway of the shop.
"Err, yeah, I'm coming." Yuki said, glancing around him before entering the shop.
The Jewellery shop looked way better on the inside then had on the outside. I guess this is where never judge a book by it cover applies. Yuki thought, looking around the bright room, it wasn't so bright that it blinded you but it gave you enough to see the charms and jewellery.
"I found a Rabbit I like." Momiji called, Haru walked over to him and looked at the price tag. "Not to expensive either." He added.
"What do you lot care about how expensive it is, your family sticking rich, I bet you could buy every charm in this shop and still be rich." Arisa snapped, Momiji cringed slightly under her temper, she grinned at "ha-ha, you're just like Tohru."
Momiji beamed high beam, bouncy over to another shelf, where the catalogues for the shop where kept. Yuki glance around at the shelfs, until he spotted a little rat, not to fancy, it sat on it back legs, it arms against it chest, head turn to the left.
"Ok heres the plan, you two," Momiji said, pointing to Arisa and Hana, "can buy your charms today, if you like, while we and the others buy ours on Sunday, hows that." Momiji asked bouncing from one foot to the other.
"Who made you boss." Kyo demanded, he had been sulking in the background the whole time they had been in the shop.
"Yeah, that sounds fine." Arisa said, elbowing Kyo out of the way, to ruffle Momiji hair.
"And, you know, we should have a surprise party for Tohru and each of the charms should have our name engraved on to it." Momiji said.
"Arr, how do we have surprise party if Tohru always around." Haru asked.
"We, take her out for a birthday outing in the morning of the party so that you lot have time to set up the Novelist guys house for the party in the evening." Arisa said, putting her arm around Hana shoulders giving the boys thumbs up and a wink.
"And if she finds out about." Asked Kyo
"Tell her, she messed up the big surprise party and make her feel really guilty about." Haru said, everyone looked at him with "what are you thinking" looks.
"Yes, a fine idea." Hana said, Arisa head swung around to stare at her open mouthed.
"What you actually agree with that." Arisa shrieked.
"This is going on the case that Tohru actually finds out about the party, and what may I ask are the chances of that." Hana asked, her face deadly still, staring at each member of the group with a knowing look.
"Oh, well," Arisa said, laughing, one arm around the back of her head, "yeah, the chances of Tohru finding out are pretty slim, even more so these days, she seems pretty out of it." Arisa looked a little confused by her last statement. Kyo frowned, yeah, thinking about Tohru had been a little out of it, last night she almost let the kitchen catch on fire because she wasn't watching her cooking, something that she had never done before, sure she was dizzy but she wasn't that dizzy, and she seem to be getting less dizzy, considering what she was like when he had first met her, she was pretty cluey now a days.
Maybe I should try to get her to talk to me or at lest to the Damn Rat, it's not good for her to keep everything all locked up inside.
"ok, it's settle, Tohru surprise birthday party in two weeks." Momiji yelled, Kyo jumped, what the hell, when had that been decided. Kyo sighed, maybe Shigure and damn, damn, Damn rat where right he really did need to pay more attention to what was being said around him, especially if it surrounded Tohru.
"um, excuse me, are you kids going to buy something or are you just going to stand there all night making a lot of raked." Asked the old shopkeeper, standing behind his counter, smiling pleasantly at the strange looking youths standing in the middle his shop, he had been watching them with silent amusement as soon as they had enter his store. It had of cause surprised him to see six young youth step into his shop, with four of them (the male) all having different colour hair. Kids these days, he thought, what next boys with pieced ears? he was shocked when he notice that one of the boys, the one with white hair, and black roots, indeed did have piece ears, not once but twice in both ears. And he looks the most out, the shopkeeper thought with slight awe. What do his parents think of him?
"Ah, Hi, we were wondering in you could hold some charms for us." Said Momiji, smiling at the old man, who smiled just as cheerfully back.
Must be a slow day, to be so keen to serve us; thought both Kyo and Yuki, looking in opposite directions.
"Oh, yes I heard you mention something about Zodiac." The shopkeeper commented.
"Yeah, you see the girl, who we're thinking of giving these to really likes the Zodiac legend." Momiji said happily.
"Oh and I'm guessing when you say the Zodiac legend, you'd like a cat charm included." The shopkeeper asked. Kyo's ears pricked at the sound of the cat charm, he really hadn't expected him to mention it, Kyo in his own way had been looking quietly around the shop for a nice looking Cat charm, one that actually looked like a cat without all the goofy expressions.
"Yes, and could engrave each charm with our names on the charm we choice." Momiji asked hopefully, the old man nodded.
"Great," Arisa said, and pointed to the charms she and Hana had chosen for Tohru charm bracelet; a happy smiling fish for Arisa and a smiling fanged flower for Hana. Where did she find that? Kyo and Yuki wondered.
"Ok, we'll see you this Sunday to pick up the other charms and the bracelet." Momiji called, waving somewhat fiercely as he walked outside.
"And to pay." Yuki added, as he left the store too. Kyo hung around just a little to see the Cat charm that he was suppose to give Tohru. I don't like, he decided, to the shopkeeper he asked "Have any more of the cats?" he half expected the shopkeeper to say no and to grateful that he had this one. But instead the shopkeeper just smiled and walked out back for a little while, before coming back carrying a dusty box.
"My Son, is a gold cutter and has a thing for Cats, I guess he pasted it on to my granddaughter because she has about five of them." He explain as he open the box to show six cat charms, they looked far more real then the cheap, stupid looking ones he had seen earlier. Kyo looked at each charm long and hard, before choosing a cat that wasn't doing anything in particular, just sitting there, looking straight ahead as if it knew what was going on and was just going to let it come with out a fight, it also in Kyo's mind looked sad and lonely, not like the other charms that seemed to be smiling. "Well, once Tohru starts wearing it, it won't be so sad any more, she'll make it happy." Kyo realise he had said this out loud and how incredulity lame it had sounded. He glance into the shopkeeper eyes waiting for some sort of judgement to be past over him, but the shopkeeper just kept smiling, the same smile he had first worn when they had first enter the shop, no, that wasn't so true, it seem soft and had an understanding look about. Not like he would really understand, Kyo thought bitterly to himself.
"Hold this one; I think she can cheer him up." He said, and with that he turned and left.
The shopkeeper smiled ever broad, thinking of the amazed look he was going to get once he told his little granddaughter about his strange afternoon. He gently picked up the charm placing it next to the, Rat that had been chosen by the grey haired boy, picking up the cat charm the boy of had chosen the rabbit, it slipped his grasped and fell to the floor, snapping in two.
"well," he said to the Rat, the Ox, the Rabbit and the Cat(the one Kyo had chosen), "that just shows that this poor little one wasn't meant to go to the banquet with you four, but don't worry your friends will come along soon." After placing the broken cat charm in the repair bin, he placed the four remaining charms into a small box writing on top of it, "SOHMA, ZODIAC charms".
*
"Shigure?"
"oh, hello you lot, where have you four been? Not do anything I would?" this went into the silence of "I can't belief you just imply that!"
"Well did you?" Shigure whined, Kyo stomped past him, muttering something under his breath sounding like "You sick bastard."
"Shigure, Shigure, listen, listen. We're going to throw Tohru a surprise Party." Momiji said excitedly.
"Oh, we are." Shigure said, clearly confused.
"And where going to have it right here in two weeks." Momiji exclaimed, shoving two fingers into Shigure's face, which still looked confused.
"Oh, are we." Shigure asked, crossing his arms, looking stern.
"Wow, Kodak moment." Haru said, holding his hands out in front of him, making a square with his fingers in front of Shigure's face. Momiji face dropped.
"But...but I thought it would be ok, cause... cause this is Tohru, TOHRU." Momiji yelled the last bit.
"Yeah, Shigure, Tohru." Haru said, still pretending to take pictures of the scene in front of him. Momiji made sniffing sounds.
"I kid, I kid." Shigure said grinning brightly, "so what are we getting her." He asked, Momiji shoved the charm catalogue into his hands and showed all the charms they were going to buy.
"Well, they're not all that expensive and I guess it would be a nice present to Tohru, so ok. I'll go call Hatori and Ayame and tell them what's going on so they can tell everyone else what's going." Shigure said walking towards the phone.
"Except Tohru." Three, no four voice yelled at him, one voice extremely loud, since he was outside. Probably heading to the roof to sulk, Shigure thought, what he was going to sulk about was unbeknown to Shigure.
"Yes, yes, no telling Tohru, I understand. Though," he added darkly to himself, "the way things are going she is most likely going to find out, she's not so clueless as she was, but then again she might be more caught up in other, more important things then a birthday." He shrugged, picking up the phone dialling Aya shop number, unbeknown to him, someone outside had heard all of what Shigure had said, and was trying to make sense of it.
*
"So Kisa, which Tiger charm do you like best." Momiji asked, the light tan orange hair girl, Kisa pointed to a sleeping Tiger, its head resting peacefully on its front to paws.
"Aw, it's so CUTE." Momiji yelled, Kisa jumped at the sudden sound her ear, falling into Hiro who had been standing behind her. The next thing they where laying in a tangle mess on the floor of the shop.
"Stupid Rabbit." Hiro growled under his breath as he watched Momiji helped Kisa gentle to her feet.
"Jeez Hiro can't you go any where without complaining." Kyo asked bad temperedly, Hiro open his mouth to retort, but Kisa nudged him, giving him a look that told him to leave Kyo alone to sulk.
"Wow, Kyo seems in a worst mood then last time we were here." Haru comment to Yuki, they where standing beside the count, out of the way of everyone else.
"Yeah, I'm not sure why, it's strange he hasn't tried to pick a fight with me for a while and Miss Honda seems to be well into her own little world, I don't know why but she seems a little sad and she doesn't seem to want to be in the same room as Shigure for some reason." Yuki sighed, he wanted to help Tohru what ever way he could but he didn't now how to start, it felt so strange and wrong to just go up to her and ask "hey, what's wrong, do you want to talk about," she would probably say nothing was wrong and go around smiling like she always did. And somehow he felt as if it was Kyo job to help Tohru, not that he didn't want to, but Tohru always seem to speak her mind more freely with Kyo then with him, I guess this is what you get when you think a girl who's the same age as you as your mother. He glanced at Kyo, whatever was troubling her she would eventually tell them, right; she just needs time to work things out.
"Ha'ri, why don't you give Tohru this Seahor...." Shigure fell to the ground with a huge hump on his head.
"Ha'ri, what about this dragon, it's really cute." Momiji said, pointing to a small charm dragon, it was laying down, with its tall wrapped around its body, it head was raised on its long neck looking in the opposite direction to its body.
Hatori nodded, point to the Shopkeeper which one he wanted.
"Fine choice, sir." Said the old shopkeeper grinning at Hatori, Hatori raised an eyebrow at him, before turning away to drag Ayame away from Kyo, before Kyo beat him to a pulp. Just once I wish I could have a day off, where it wasn't loud, where i could just read a good book and didn't have to take care of these two idiots.
"Thank you." Momiji called to the Shopkeeper as they all left. The shopkeeper waved back.
"No, thank you." He called to them.
"Probably the best sales he's had in years." Kyo grumbled.
"Kyo, don't be rude." Kagura said, sliding her arm into his, Kyo visibly stiffen, though Kagura had already given him two love beating today, he wasn't looking for a third.
"Oh, hello everyone." Tohru said, smiling as every walked through the door of Shigure's house.
"Onee-chan." Kisa said, holding out her arms, Tohru smiled even broader as the two girls hugged, Hiro sighed, be a man Hiro, just put up with it.
"So what does everyone want for dinner?" Tohru asked, holding Kisa hand.
"How about leeks." Yuki suggested.
"WHAT, you Damn Rat, are you trying to kill me." Kyo bellowed
"Yes." Yuki replied simply.
"That's it you Damn Rat, your on here and now, today your going down." Kyo yelled, his fist out front.
"Oh great, haven't heard that in awhile you Stupid Cat." Yuki smirked back, but silently he was relieved Tohru seemed almost back to normal and so did the stupid Cat.
"Uh, Yuki try not to destroy the house, ok." Shigure said, just as there was a loud crash of a door and Tohru yelping Kyo's name.
"Well, it's been awhile, but it was going to happen sooner or later." He sighed; once more wondering if the whole world was really out to destroy his house.

Author's Note: i hope you like the chapter, next it's Tohru's party, then Akito rage.
Sign up to rate and review this story