Categories > Anime/Manga > One Piece > Sitting on the Waves

05 : A Tale of the Grand Line

by Sgamer82 0 reviews

An old legend, and a new foe.

Category: One Piece - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-06-16 - Updated: 2007-06-17 - 1396 words

0Unrated
ONE PIECE
SITTING ON THE WAVES

CHAPTER 5: A TALE OF THE GRAND LINE

BY
Sgamer82

Upon leaving Nami, Robin had immediately called a meeting of the crew. More accurately, she had used her powers to shake everyone out of bed and then point them to the lounge, where they found her waiting.

"I apologize for the rude awakening. But I believe I may know what is happening to our navigator."

Whatever anger the crewmen had about Robin's wake-up call suddenly vanished as they sat down at the dinner table. Robin cleared her throat and began to explain.

"I believe that somewhere on this island is somebody who possesses the power of a Fruit of the Devil. This particular Devil Fruit power, if I am correct, allows its user to change the age of a given person. Making them, in both mind and body, whatever age the user wishes."

"What makes you so sure of this?" Zoro asked skeptically.

"There is an old story of a woman on the Grand Line who possessed such a power. Given that Redisca is also known as 'the town of second chances,' I believe this fruit is what we are dealing with."

"So, what our darling Robin here is saying," Sanji said, "Is that you believe that someone with powers like the woman in this story is the one doing this to Miss Nami?"

Robin nodded, "This Devil Fruit is the only thing I have ever heard of which can have this kind of effect."

"Then why didn't you say so when this started happening?" Zoro asked.

"Because I was not sure, Mr. Swordsman." Robin answered, "I do not like to give a theory without being sure I have evidence to back it up. While there have been clues hinting to this possibility, only something our little navigator just said to me made me believe I am correct."

The crew listened.

"In our navigator's mind, she believes it is currently five years ago. She hasn't just become a child in body, her mind has been taken back to that time of her life as well. Just as the powers of the Devil Fruit are described as being capabl-"

Robin cut off suddenly.

"Outside! Now!" she yelled as she ran out the door. The others followed and, outside, saw Nami making a break for it again. She had managed to jump off the ship onto the dock and was making a beeline for the forest just past the harbor. Luffy shot out his hand to try to catch her, like he had done earlier, but this time Nami was bobbing and weaving as she ran and was able to dodge Luffy. Robin made an attempt as well, calling one her own powers to create hands to catch Nami. One of them caught hold of Nami and Robin managed to get a few more arms onto her before Nami suddenly bit down on a hands as hard as she could, causing Robin to let go in surprise.

Nami ran into the woods. As Luffy's hand came back to him, Robin held her own hand, which had started bleeding.

----------

Nami ran as fast as she could manage. Robin had tried to hide it, but she had put an eye inside the bedroom and was watching her, making sure Nami didn't escape. But Nami saw her chance to do just that when the woman apparently called a meeting of the crew (she had heard several voices complaining about being woken up). She made her plan then and there.

When she was ready, she threw a blanket over Robin's eye and bolted out the door, making it to the dock before anybody had a chance to stop her. The captain had tried to catch her like before, but this time she had been able to dodge. Biting Robin had really just been reflex. But it had worked, so Nami wasn't about to complain.

She was running a risk heading deep into this forest. No telling what animals were in there. But it was her best shot at escaping those pirates. She wasn't worried about getting lost. She could navigate on land every bit as well as she could on the sea. She had gotten some distance into the woods when all of a sudden everything went black.

----------

The girl had attempted escape, just as expected. Her hatred for pirates at this age was absolute. She didn't trust them. She wouldn't. Because of that, she had fallen right into his grasp. After knocking her out, he carried the young navigator over his shoulder until he reached the northern edge of the forest, where his crew was waiting.

"She's comin' now. You got the kid, boss?" the boy called Tirsni asked.

"Of course." he said as he took Nami off his shoulder and held her in his arms. He almost resembled a hero rescuing a damsel in distress.

"You got her." said his partner as she arrived, "Wonderful. I was worried you wouldn't be able to get her from the pirates."

"She did that all on her own. I found her out in the forest, out cold." he told her as he handed the girl over.

While easy for the man to carry, the woman had more difficulty holding her. But she fixed that easily enough. She brushed the girl's cheek with her hand and whispered softly.

"Quinquennis."

The man and his subordinates watched as the thirteen year-old girl suddenly began to get even smaller. She shrank in the woman's arms until she was no bigger than a five year-old. She was now very easy for the woman to hold.

"What of the pirates?" she asked.

"We'll take care of that." the man told her, "The Government wants 'Straw Hat' Luffy for public execution. They'll be especially happy to get the whole crew."

She didn't appear satisfied.

"You needn't worry." he said, "You won't likely have any trouble from them. I doubt they'll either notice or even care if one person's missing. So long as there's no price on her head."

"Very well." she said, "Good luck to you then, Huncaza."

The woman left, heading to her home. The little girl in her arms stirred, but she cooed the child quiet.

"It'll all be okay, very soon." she told Nami, "Soon all the pain you've experienced in your life will be nothing but a bad dream. Things will be better. I promise."

With that, Leda took the child up the path to the Chibi no Mi Nursery.

----------

It is an old tale of the Grand Line.

Long ago, a young girl unknowingly, as so many do, came across and ate of the Fruit of the Devil. This fruit, the Era-Era Fruit, enabled the girl to change her body's physical age to whatever she wished. At first, the girl used this new power to play pranks. She would change her own age to play with the minds of those who knew her. That eventually grew old, and the girl wondered about what other use her powers could be put to.

It was soon after that the girl had discovered a young man, who as a child had seen his family slaughtered in front of him by pirates. The events he witnessed had left him traumatized ever since. The girl felt grief at what had happened to the man. He would forever remember the pain and sorrow of those events. Nothing could be done about it. That was when the girl realized she could do something about it.

Using the power of the Era-Era Fruit, she regressed the boy back to infancy. Back to age far below that at which he had experienced the horror of his loved ones' deaths. Memory of the boy's prior life, over time, faded completely and he grew up happy and healthy after being adopted by a kind family.

The girl then decided that such deeds were her calling. The story goes on that she created an orphanage and, while also taking in normal children, would also accept people who came to her seeking a new lease on life. Men and women who had contracted deadly illness, or had experienced pain they truly wished to forget. Even criminals on the run would receive a second chance by her hand.

With a mere touch, she could undo years of regretful decisions, bad fortune, and painful memories.
Sign up to rate and review this story