Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter Four: Misty

by Roma 0 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2005-11-24 - Updated: 2005-11-24 - 914 words

0Unrated
Chapter Four: Misty

The door opened just as a girl with brown hair and hazel eyes walked into the classroom. She obviously had just moved to Wakesville because nobody had ever seen her around before. Not only that, but she didn't dress like the people around there either. She actually dressed in a dressy-casual way, as if she used to live in some rich town.
Misty Pierce and her parents moved to Wakesville from Worcester, a city an hour away. She was not a town-girl. A city girl, born and raised in a rich environment, had, what she thought was, the perfect life back in the city. Moving to Wakesville, to her, was the worst decision her parents had ever made.
She walked over to the teacher and gave him her pass. "I'm sorry I'm late. The lady at the office was just telling me a bit about the school. I'm new here," she said. It was stating the obvious, but she figured that the others were dumber than her. City people knew everything. At least that's what her arrogance had always told her.
"Thank you," the teacher said, taking the pass from her hands and looking at it. "Okay, Misty, I'm Mr. Patterson. You may take a seat in front of Orion." He pointed to the seat. "It will be your seat until the end of the year, unless there's a problem with someone around you." He stole a glance at Matt, but then quickly looked away. "Now, as I was saying, get out your homework from Friday."
Misty walked over to the desk just as Matt had rolled his eyes.
"He hates me," he said to Orion. "I'm guessing he knows that I'm only taking this class for an easy credit. Art sucks."
Orion shrugged. "It's not that bad, I guess. If only we had a different teacher," he replied. He got out the assignment which was drawing an abstract figure. His figure, and probably the rest of the classes, looked like a random shape.
"Now, you may get to work on painting them. Remember, I'll be watching all of you," Mr. Patterson said, scanning the room. His eyes rested on Matt for a moment, but then sat back down at his desk, going back to his paperwork.
The class, including Orion and Matt, got up to get their painting equipment. Misty sat at her desk, beginning to draw her abstract piece. Orion and Matt came back to their seats and began painting and talking at the same time.
"My father told me that the number of fires is dying down. It's very strange. He suspects that it had nothing to do with the rain," Matt said, taking a quick glance at the window. It was still raining.
"My dad figures it's the rain, but I don't believe it," Orion replied.
Suddenly, Misty stopped drawing and turned around to face Orion and Matt. "You know what I think? I think that this town is so horrible, it's cursed. Even the weather curses it by always making it rain," she said in a smart tone.
Orion looked at her with an odd expression on his face. "That's a wonderful theory," he finally replied in a cold, sarcastic manner. "You should definitely tell that to the reporters around here. Maybe, if you're lucky, they'll put that article on the front page of the newspapers, right next to the article on how the president is actually an alien in disguise."
Misty gave Orion a cold glare, while Orion returned the gaze. Matt, meanwhile, looked on, trying his hardest not to burst out laughing.
"Alright, break it up, you two," he finally said after the awkward silence. "Calm down, Orion."
Orion sighed, hoping his anger would leave with his exhaled breath. It didn't so he tried his best to restrain it. "First of all, I hate it when people eavesdrop on my conversations. Second, I hate when the town I call home is insulted. And third, I hate people who talk about stupid things in a smart voice, thinking that they're everything.
The bell rang just as Misty opened her mouth to reply. Packing away his things, Orion grabbed his bag and became the first one out of the classroom. Misty rolled her eyes and began packing away her things also.
"Sorry about that. My friend can be a little hot-headed at times. He's fine once you get to know him, though," Matt said in a reassuring way. "I'm Matt, by the way."
"Misty," she said, not bothering to even glance at him. "And tell your friend to stay away unless he wants some unfriendly encounters with me." She then stormed out of the classroom.
"That's going to be pretty hard, seeing as you sit right in front of him," Matt mumbled to himself as he left the classroom to catch up with Orion. Running through the hallway after him, he finally caught up. "Hey. I suggest that you not talk to her for a while. She doesn't seem too nice."
"Who?" Orion asked as he kept on walking. "You mean Foggy, or whatever her name is? She's the least of my worries."
"Whatever," mumbled Matt. "Can you help me with my pre-calculus lesson? I just don't get it."
"Sure. Is after school good?" he asked.
"Yup. I'll drive to your house a bit later. I have to go for now. Pre-calc sucks more than art does." With that, he went off towards his next class.
Sign up to rate and review this story