Categories > Original > Romance > Your Best Kept Secret & Biggest Mistake

I hope this is the last time cause I'd never say no to you

by dizzyxdancer 1 review

This conversation's been dead on arrival and there's no way to talk to you...

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2007-06-22 - Updated: 2007-06-22 - 960 words

0Unrated
It had been several months since Emma & David's break up. She had forgotten about her love life entirely and spent her time focused on school. She talked to Pete occasionally, but their friendship was never the same. Something inside Emma had changed. She couldn't quite put her finger on it but that night so long ago, when Pete had poured his heart out to her, she had changed. She was no longer a child anymore. She knew that what she had done had quite possibly ripped the heart of another out and she only had herself to blame. She wished over anything that she could go back in time and undo what she had done. She would never let herself get carried away. As much as she had enjoyed what she shared with Pete, she would rather not have it all than not have him in her life. As she sat in her kitchen, staring at the half eaten PB&J sandwich that he had left, she found herself weeping inside but no tears flowed from her eyes and she knew then, that she had changed. She could feel it everyday when she woke up and looked out at her window. The sight of his house no longer made her smile. Seeing the picture at the top of the stairs no longer made her smile. Talking to him, no longer made her smile. She felt somewhat empty inside and strangely, she felt relieved. She now knew that her childhood comforts were gone for good. She knew that she no longer had Pete to turn to in a time of need. She figured that this would break her apart, but strangely, it made her feel relieved. She was glad that she no longer needed anyone to turn too. It hurt, yes, but she felt better. She began distancing herself, spending a lot of time alone in her room, reading. And that was exactly what she was doing when her mother knocked on her door on that late June day.

"Emma?" she heard her mother call tentatively. She smirked, even her mother was beginning to become afraid to bother her. Emma cleared her throat and replied. "Someone is here to see you..." was the reply she got. Emma sat up, puzzled at who it could be. She slowly walked to her door and pulled it open. No one was there. Great, I wonder who it could be, she thought. She hoped that it was anyone but 2 certain guys. She slowly walked down the stairs, dreading who she might see once she got down there. She reached the bottom step and turned to look into the living room. Pete stood there looking at the pictures that adorned the wall. She stepped into the room and said "Hey..." catching his attention. He turned and looked at her and smiled. "Hey..." he replied. She stared at him for a minute, trying to understand why he was in her house, wanting to see her. They hadn't spoke since his birthday when he had tried to kiss her and she blew up at him. That was almost an entire month ago. "What do you want?" she snapped out, immediately wishing she hadn't. The smile fell from his face and a blank look came over it. "I just wanted to come and tell you that I'm not in Arma Angelus anymore, as you have probably heard..I'm in another band now. We're kinda going on a mini tour, of sorts, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be gone for the next 2 or 3 months..." he said, quietly and with no emotion in his voice. She nodded numbly, not sure why she was supposed to care. He stared at her for a moment then smirked and laughed. "That's what I figured...You've changed, Emma...Something's up. David start treating you bad again?" he asked, trying to read her expression. Her head snapped up and she stared at him, dumbfounded. She slowly shook her head and said, "No...we broke up a long time ago...New Year's Day to be exact." She didn't feel like lying anymore. Pete's mouth dropped open and he started to say something then thought better of it. He shook his head and turned to leave.

"I just wanted to let you know what's going on, so you don't wonder what happened to me. I guess I'll see you when I get back..." he said, quietly, stopping at the door to see if she would come after him. She stood rooted in place staring at where he had been standing. Pete shook his head and opened the door. He turned and looked at Emma one last time before leaving. "Bye Emmie..." was all he said, before slamming the door behind him. Emma jumped in shock at the sound of the door slamming and felt herself growing weak. He was leaving. He really didn't care about her anymore. She sighed. Why had she let this happen to herself? She told herself to run after him, maybe he would change his mind when she told him that she loved him too. She shook her head. No, that only works in the movies, she thought. She slowly walked back to her room, shutting the door and turning off the lights before laying down in bed sobbing.

It was several hours later that she realized he had called her Emmie. The nickname he had given her so long ago. She smirked as she realized that he still cared. Then she frowned as she realized that it was too late. By the time he got back, she'd just be a figment of his past that he would probably hope was just a figment of his imagination.
Sign up to rate and review this story