Categories > Anime/Manga > Shaman King > Understanding

Understanding

by deadxtree 2 reviews

An understanding between two people can lead to an unbreakable friendship (Ren/Horo-centric)

Category: Shaman King - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2005-11-27 - Updated: 2005-11-28 - 1382 words - Complete

2Insightful
Understanding

Disclaimer: I do not own Shaman King or the characters

..

Damn music. Damn alocohol. Damn... him. Why the hell did they throw these stupid parties? They held no purpose.. except for the hosts and attendees to get drunk. And that's what always happened... save for him. He excused himself after the first idiot decided he was going to piss him off.

Star gazing was his usual escape, as it was tonight. The music in the house behind him was tuned out, the stars and ebony sky the only things that were recognized. But even after years of perfecting his ability to tune things out, that damn idiotic laugh still penatrated his defenses.

A quiet growl escaped the chinese shaman, his golden eyes glaring up at the sky. He swore on his life it was because he'd put up with him through the tournament and nothing more. He swore that what everyone said was untrue.. what people the passed on the streets suspected was nothing but a lie. He swore it was and told himself that they were sick minded if that what the thought.

"Damnit," he muttered. He needed to go for a walk.. or something. What he needed was to get out of that household and back home. Back to where he belonged.. where he could forget everyone and everything that had happened over the last two and half years.

Sliding his hands into the pockets of his black shorts, which he'd gone back to wearing after the tournament ended so he could continue the studies he'd abandoned while in America, he slipped out of the Onsen yard, heading for the only place he'd found silence when he was here: Karasumori Graveyard.

..

Sinking down against the tree in the graveyard, Ren's eyes were still on the skies. His anger had left him as the music became no more than a memory on his walk.. which many would consider a good thing... Many including him.

He closed his eyes, sighing quietly. Maybe it wasn't the music that bothered him.. Of course he hated the noise, but he supposed complete quiet was not a good thing either. Maybe it was the people. They annoyed, pestered, and pissed him off to no extent. He'd tell them to leave him alone and they'd continue their poking and pestering and drunken babble.

Yes, he concluded. It was the people.

"Hey.."

His golden eyes snapped open imediately hearing the other voice. Looking over his shoulder, he frowned seeing the party's host who'd been one of many to make him their personal annoy toy.

"Go away, Horo," Ren muttered, returning his gaze to the sky.

The blue-haired Ainu sighed, walking towards him and leaning against the tree. "Why'd you come out here? The party was awesome," Horo said with a light laugh.

"That party was not awesome, it was annoying," Ren told him. "And I was sick of being poked and prodded and asked idiotic questions by your's and Ryu's drunk friends."

Sapphire eyes fell on the Tao, a frown coming to his face. "Awe c'mon. They aren't that bad. They're just havin' a little fun."

"At the expense of my sanity. If I hadn't left, I can assure you that half of them wouldn't need beer, they'd need blood transfusions."

Horo blinked. "I didn't know it bothered you so much.."

Ren rolled his eyes, sighing, "Oh what do you care? All you care about is having a good time and acting like a moron." He laughed a bit, "By the way, you don't need practice at that. You have it nailed to a 'T'."

The Ainu frowned. "That's not all I care about.."

"Tch. Yeah, right," The Tao muttered. "Now why don't you get back to your party so I can be alone?"

Horo sank down to the ground, looking at Ren for a moment. "Why do you want to be alone?"

"Because I prefer to be alone than surrounded by idiots," Ren answered.

His eyes went to the sky for a moment, a sigh escaping him. "I'm not always an idiot, Ren."

The Tao looked over at him, then laughed, "Right.. And can you proove this?"

Horo looked at him. "Eh.. not at the moment.." he said, laughing quietly. "But I doubt you could either after a few beers."

"I doubt you could even proof it when you were sober," Ren muttered, looking at the sky again.

The blue-haired shaman frowned. "You know, you give me less credit than I deserve," he told him. "You weren't half the jackass you are now during the tournament."

The younger boy blinked, looking over at him. "I give you as much credit as you deserve!" Ren told him.

Horo stood, shaking his head. "No you don't. You act like I'm some child who can't do anything for himself."

"That's because you can't," Ren stood, facing him. "Or at least you haven't prooven otherwise."

"Well if you'd let me before you say 'oh he can't do that, he's to stupid,'" Horo said, imitating Ren's voice. "I could proove it!"

The younger shaman blinked, staring at him.

"What? Can't think of another insult?" Horo asked.

"Just leave me alone, Horo," Ren told him, turning around.

The Ainu blinked. "No. I'm not going to leave you alone until I figure out why you hate me so much. I've never done anything to you, yet you hate me with every fiber of your being."

Ren slipped his hands in his pockets. "If you won't leave, I will," he muttered, walking away.

"No," Horo caught his arm. "Why the hell do you hate me?"

Ren growled quietly, spinning around, "Take your hands off me."

The Ainu shook his head stubbornly. "Not until you answer my question."

The Tao pulled his arm roughly away from him, glaring at him. "Horo.. leave me alone," he said firmly. "I am not in the mood to answer your idiotic question, nor do I intend to."

"My question wasn't idiotic. It was reasonable and you know it. One thing. That's all I want to know. It's not like I'm asking about your family or your past or whatever," Horo stated. "I'm asking why you hate me, yet you insult me instead of answering."

Ren sighed, looking down. "I don't hate you.." he mumbled.

"What was that?"

"I said I don't hate you," The chinese boy repeated in a louder voice.

The blue-haired shaman blinked. "Then why do you treat me like shit and not let me do anything for myself?"

"Because.." Ren said quietly.

Horo frowned, "Because why?"

"Because you don't look out for yourself," His golden eyes looked over to him. "You nearly died during the tournament because you weren't looking out for yourself. If anything, I'm protecting you from getting yourself killed," he explained. "I don't hate you.. I worry."

"The great Tao-Ren is worried about me? Wow, I didn't know you had feelings," the other laughed.

Ren sighed, "I knew you wouldn't get it. You turn everything into a joke," he muttered, walking away.

Horo blinked, following him. "You're being serious?"

"No, I'm being funny like you," The Tao answered sarcastically.

The other frowned. "But why?"

"Because even though I say different, I consider you and everyone else my friends.. and that's what friends do," Ren told him with a sigh. "Do you get it now?"

Horo stared at him a moment, waiting for any sign that he was indeed joking... but it wasobvious to him that the Tao was dead serious. A small smile flickered to his face. "Yeah.. I understand."

"Good. Now will you leave me alone and go back to that hell you call a party?" The younger shaman asked. He didn't want to leave.. he had no intention on it. He planned on hiding in the shadows or going to Jun's until he figured Horo left and he'd go back.

Horo shook his head, "Nah, I think I'm going to watch the stars.. if that's okay with you, oh great one."

Ren sighed, rolling his eyes, "Whatever.. just don't talk to me," he told him, walking back to where he'd been previously taking a seat under the tree.

The Ainu dropped down next to him, smiling, "Can do," he told him with a nod, his dark eyes on the sky.

..

End

Sign up to rate and review this story