Categories > Original > Fantasy

Dragonfriend

by ScyStorm 0 reviews

(Shortie) An evil dragonstalker stalks his prey: A large silver dragon who has taken lair in a mountain where his red dragon master claims territory. But he will not get his kill today.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-11-28 - Updated: 2005-11-29 - 1712 words - Complete

0Unrated
DRAGONFRIEND

Original Fiction
By: Scy Storm
ssbs.furrynet.com

AUTHOR'S NOTES: A contest entry for the DeviantArt Dragon Lover's Club. Not much else to say. ^^; Enjoy.



{He mustn't live. This mountain is not for his taking.}

The human nodded to himself as the words of his master echoed telepathically through his head. Sereg, or Archarir as he prefers to go by, hides behind a large boulder as he checks his equipment. His composite longbow... yes, perfect. He made sure he checked it well the previous days. And he had his master enchant it with a dragon bane. His clothing is shades of gray and brown, to hopefully blend in somewhat with the mountain environment he's trailing across. Damn armor... He thinks to himself.

Leather armor. It's not exactly what he wanted, but this leather is very strong, and also permanently enchanted with ice protection. At the very least, he wishes it was studded. But no matter. He stands and peers up over the rock. The land is... motionless, aside from the light breeze that lightly sways some vegetation, and his long black hair. No sounds... none but his heartbeat heard subconsciously. There is nothing out there, but he knows he's close. I can smell you...

He suddenly spins and dashes from around the boulder, treading lightly and silently across the rocky ground. He makes a bit of a turning jump toward another section of rocks, landing on the ground with a thud and pressing his back against one, now sitting down. Yikes... Hopefully that wasn't too much noise. He's already hid his scent with his supernatural abilities, and he does not need the dragon to be hearing him. He turns himself around and raises up on his feet, looking over the rock. His skin, covered with a light coating of red scales, gleams lightly in the sun that's higher up. And he knows they are. He glances up to the sky. Must wait...

The clouds have passed out from over the sun and allowed it to shine down. This he cannot have. He must wait, for the clouds are going to be plentiful again. They will cover the sun for a while, and shroud the land in partial darkness. Just when the silver one is to come out to survey and enjoy what could be a rain. {... Soon, my kith. Soon his blood will paint the mountainside.} Sereg hears in his head.

{Yes, master. We have waited too long.} He responds through the telepathic link.

He leaps over the boulder and begins treading again, quickly, but at one point slowing down to a near stop. He can hear it... He can feel it coming... He must find the right spot. He notices a large rock extending upward from the ground. That should work. It has to. He treads his way to it and presses against one side. Panting softly, he takes a moment. Once he's waited long enough, he peers from behind the rock and looks high upward. The mountain side, and on it, a very large hole. That's the aerial entryway of the silver dragon's lair. And soon, he will be showing himself. Just like every other day. The pattern his master and he have noticed so many times. It is time.

He reaches to his back and takes an arrow out of his quiver, getting it situated on his bow. Besides being enchanted with the dragon's bane, his bow nary misses. He will aim for the throat, and his skill and precision will spell instant death for the great one, or any dragon for that matter. He knows exactly where to aim, exactly how much force he's putting behind, and he knows how to make his shot ignore their natural armor and pierce directly through the scales. You will be pleased, my master.

He knocks his arrow back on his composite bow, the strength of his arm going into the pull. He points the arrow upward, but of course, not taking an aim just yet. But he will soon... because... the figure is appearing from the hole in the mountain. He is there... Livezzenvivexious. The mighty silver of this mountain, sticks his long head out of the lair. He takes a long breath in, raising his head and stretching his long wings. The air is damp with the coming rain, and contains a light chill that feels so good on his shining scales. He is... oblivious to what lies down below. Far below, as Sereg is aiming his shot. And he is aiming it well. Never mind the fact that the dragon is hundreds of feet above - he has never missed a shot, from any distance. Naive noble dragonkind: Sitting still with his neck completely exposed. It's almost too easy. Farewell to thee, dragon. Sereg thinks, before he lets his arrow fly.

The arrow rips through the air with hardly a whistle, so fast, there is nary a soul aside from Sereg who can watch it fly. But someone else close can, as another arrow intercepts that of the stalker's, snapping it in midair before it could even get to the dragon, the dragon unaware that it was ever fired. Sereg's eyes shoot to wide, as he can almost see his own arrow get shattered in slow motion. "... No... That's impossible!" He says, aloud.

His eyes begin to scan the horizon for whoever fired that arrow, in the direction to the right, where it came from. Nothing. He waits. And soon, coming up from the horizon just a ways away, is a knight, loading a bow back onto his back. He wears full plate armor that shines even under minimal sun, featuring a helm that features draconic wings flowing off to the back and sides. On his hip is a longsword, swaying a bit with his steps. Sereg growls, and knocks back another arrow as he quickly fires it at the approaching knight. He doesn't miss, but his arrow clanks off the armor, doing nothing. He growls, almost draconic-like, showing his kithdom. This knight's bow is not out, meaning he's not hostile. At the moment, anyway. Sereg lowers his bow, and waits. "Well then... I never thought I would see you again." Says the knight, once at a comfortable speaking range.

Sereg's eyes snap open again. That voice... it can't be. "Quessir... You're kidding me!" He says.

The knight raises his head so Sereg can see his face. It is an Elven face, and judging by Sereg's reaction, he's correct. "I never thought I would see you again after to delved into dragon kithdom." Quessir states.

Sereg clenches his fists, one of which holds his bow. "You're... You're a Platinum Knight, aren't you?!" He states, with much anger.

Quessir raises his chin a bit. "That I am. I have dedicated myself to being a Dragonfriend of good, looked over by the mighty Bahamut. I am responsible for the coming of Livezzenvivexious to this area."

"You did this?! You allowed this foul creature to come into the territory of Melniirkumaukrekon?!"

Quessir grins. "Yes. And what a coincidence that you happened to be her dragonkith, Sereg."

Sereg growls again. "My name... is Archarir!"

"That name is nothing. It only proves that you're but a pawn of Melniirkumaukrekon. She would kill you without a thought. Especially after your failure today."

Sereg growls loudly and drops his bow as he yanks his dual swords, long and short, from the sheaths on his hips, spinning them in his hands. "You will PAY for that remark, paladin!"

Quessir quickly slides his sword effortlessly from its own sheath, raising it high into the air, holding the hilt with both hands. He chants in Sylvan tongue as his sword shines with divine energy, causing his armor as well as his slightly metallic-looking skin sparkle. Sereg can only raise his brow. Quessir then points the sword straight at the dragonstalker. "You are a being of evil, and if you'd rather I kill you before your beloved queen, then I will."

Sereg raises his swords and starts to contemplate his attack, before a shadow covers him for a brief moment. He raises his head, and sees none other Livezzenvivexious flying, ready to circle. "Blast!"

The platinum knight too sees the dragon, and chuckles. "Sneak up on him you might, but there is no way you can destroy him in direct combat. Now he knows you're here, and he hates evil."

Sereg grows very fearful as the silver dragon turns his head to look DIRECTLY at him. In his mind, he hears the voice of his dragon master, who is no doubt watching this: {GET OUT OF THERE, NOW!}

He sheaths his short sword quickly and grabs his bow off the ground as soon as he starts his run, speeding across the mountain ground toward the way he came. He looks back only once as he hears a breath, and sees a large blast of ice coming his way. He kicks up his speed however he can and leaps forward, ice exploding onto the ground around him and barely missing him, save a few chunks. He rolls as he lands and resumes running immediately. Livezzenvivexious lands onto the ground nearby Quessir. "Should I bother with him?" His large voice belts out.

Quessir shakes his head as he sheaths his sword. "No. If his master does not kill him, he surely will not return to here again."

The silver dragon nods, and smiles a bit on his draconic muzzle as he turns, and lowers his head before the platinum knight. Quessir smiles, and gets the hint as he walks just a ways down. "Shall I take you on this flight, dragonfriend of noble heart?" The dragon says.

Quessir climbs up the dragon's scales to get on his back, standing straight and holding onto the silver dragon's long frill. "Take to the skies, great beast. Let the winds be our guide."

Livezzenvivexious smiles, and raises himself up again as his large wings billow downward, flapping to get himself partially airborne, before he launches upward, drifting up until his form disappears in the clouds, with the proud knight in tow.



THE END

Characters & Situations based off of the Draconomicon system of Dungeons & Dragons
D&D and the Draconomicon Copyright © Wizards of the Coast

~ Scy
Sign up to rate and review this story