Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > "What is a Heart Beat?"

Chapter 5

by FireChildSlytherin5 1 review

AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fir...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Characters: Zuko - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-06-30 - Updated: 2007-09-20 - 1552 words

0Unrated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is a Heart Beat?"

-

Summary: AU. Zuko was found in the Forest, half-wild, being attacked by a group of unknown beings wounded severely but yet somehow not effect by the pain afterwards. Read and found out the secret of the Fire Nation, the reason why the nation despise the rest, the reason why the nation seemed cold, and yet..

-

Chapter 5

-

Ba Bum ... the heart beat once.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat twice.
Ba Bum ... the heart beat three times.
Ba Ba Bum ... and the heart beat no more.

-

Many miles behind, in the darkness of L'Taur d'lil Elghinyrr (1), or in English "The Forest of the Dead", lies many secrets. Secrets that long had been forgotten in the eyes of mortal men as the immortals wait in the shadows. Where the questions with the answers only dead men knows. The many places where the once Mighty Fire Nation once dwelled when the Forest was once called "The Forest of the Living", the time before the 100 Years Old War, before the disappearance of Huo (2), the Lady and the Spirit of Fire.

Far into the Forest itself was group of men, women and children cuddled in their tents that were made of mud and sticks. All of which wore ragged; blood stained clothes that once was common clothes of the Fire nation . It had been many years since any of them bothered about hygiene or other needs for themselves. With not many water or food each day, and at times having none of countless weeks, each of them looked very sickly. Many who wondered and witnessed this sight of these people would think that they are the walking dead, but with this fact, it is close.

They are all cursed.

It been years since a child had been born in their country. In truth, each of them; every man, woman and child is over 100s of years old, older then the Avatar Aang himself. The same people who witnessed the disappearance of their Fire Spirit, Huo; the same people who seen the end of the peace times and the beginning of the War itself.

An older man, sat by himself tending a fireplace on one side the camp site. He was slightly shorter then the fire nation men (which was common in their people to be tall) and very round in the middle which in his opinion is a nice table to sat his cup of tea on. His long graying hair once held a fire nation tail on the top of his head was gone. Chopped it off by himself, showing his people that he has no ties in the fire nation anymore. Now with mud, blood and grease tripping from his hair not washing it in years it seemed, clamps of dirt still hanging on his feet, his brown ragged traveling clothes just barely hanging on him; Ex-General, ex-Prince Iroh, older brother of the former Fire Lord, wasn't looking at his best.

Iroh sipped his chipped tea mug which he stole not long ago (which in his dismay got chipped in the progress), patiently waiting for his nephew, Zuko to come back home from a hunting trip that he told him to go. Zuko needed to spend time with other children his age and also the fact the Zuko was getting bored of guard duty saying it was for 'lower class' and with anger Iroh had aggressed that he would be feel more welcome to hunt for food for the camp. At first Zuko, Iroh remembered, didn't like this. But after some hunting trips, more the half unexsussful of bring any meat, Zuko came home happy that he found something that he enjoy of doing (besides learning how to fire bend and spare fighting) and also the fact that his friend since his childhood, Takeshi (3), was with him in each hunting trip making Zuko more enjoyable person to others around him.

But there was risks. Risks that got many to their truth deaths.

Many times Iroh ignored the many risks that he would never see Zuko again. Despite the Shadows, still getting stronger and stronger each year, fighting them for their cursed souls and the other Nations hunting them, trying to kill them all, slowly making them existent. There was good risks too to remember; Zuko was happy, which ever since his father has banished him and the lost his mother had angered him greatly, scaring his very soul almost out of existence.

Zuko as been gone for a whole week. Its not the longest he ever been gone, once they didn't see each other for almost a month in half, an expertise that Iroh would never would want to repeat. Iroh sighed, he missed his nephew dearly, that is like his second son to him. Iroh sipped his tea as the warm liquored went down to his dry throat. He looked up in the tree tops, only seeing dark space of nothingness. It has been long time that he ever seen the sun. The Forest to the Dead long lost the love of the sunlight. Without the Spirit of the Sun, why look for the light of the Sun? His fire bending is getting stronger, telling him that the Sun Spirit, Haru getting angry. After the comet went and passed, Haru recharged his power.

The World, as in all the Nations and the Avatar, believes that they stopped the war by killing the Fire Lord before he took the comet's energy. The World was finally in peace... It is not so.

But the true War, that has not yet came, is coming. Far more bloodier, more brutal then ever before. With the Sun Spirit had their rule, of what the Prophecy had once be said would come to pass, would come back. This War, none of them would escape it. Everyone; man, woman and child of the Fire Nation will have to fight. To the End.

"Either must die on the hand of the other, or all will fall." as one many lines in the Prophecy had said.

Ever since the Fire Spirit, Huo disappeared, Haru became angry from the lost of his lady, his wife, his other half. His heart hardened from the other Spirits and all things that are good, making the other six spirits hated him, banishing him, shunning him from all things that he ruled under his grasp. The Fire Nation, lost without their spirit's giddiness, thousands became insane as others were instantly killed; their fire in themselves burst into their hearts and souls killing them slowly and painfully. Others, like he, his brother, his father and the rest of the surviving Fire Nation, weren't so lucky as times went by. They were cursed to live without the gaudiness of their spirits, only their control of their fire with in themselves, the hatred of the other Nations living a full life as they do, as the Fire Nation had nothing.

They were the Nation of Fire, the end and the rebirth element. Why did the Nation of Water, Air, and Earth had to live with their Spirits, who guide them, loves them, where their Spirits was gone, forever? They had no one. And if they don't have love from the Spirits, then no one else will.

That was the start of the 100 Years Old War. If one Nation doesn't have the love of the Spirits, then none of the others will. If it comes to death, then so be it. Let them come, was the belief to many in the Fire Nation.

Iroh sigh again, shaking his head in defeat, remembering that he too, long ago, at thought these thoughts, like everyone else did, killing all those people, in rage of revenge. They were foolish of thinking that they had the control over the other Nations, control even the Spirits. Shortly after the first battle, where men, women and children was slaughtered, the Six Spirits had punished them for all entirety. That is why they are cursed.

It was their fault, Iroh knew. But like everyone else, including he, they won't admit it. It is not in their nature, the Fire Nation to admit their faults; even to their downfall. Even cursed, they still had their honor, and their pride.

It was the Spirits fault in the end. Letting the Lady Huo of Fire disappeared, banishing Haru. Without him, the Sun Spirit, they had no control over their fire, their powers, their spiritual being. Without the Fire Spirit, Huo they had no control over their will, their minds, their souls, their every being of being human. Without any of those, what else to live for? Nothing. They had nothing...

This is the Fire Nation life.

They are forever cursed.

(End of Chapter)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) L' Taur d'lil Elghinyrr: In elfish it means "The Forest of the Dead"
(2) Huo: Chinese unisex name meaning "fire"

(3) Takeshi: Japanese name meaning: "fierce; warrior."

(4) Haru: Japanese masculine(male) name meaning: "sun, sunlight" "Spring" or "Clear Up"

----

Author's Notes: I'm sorry for the lateness of this chapter. And also for the fact that this chapter didn't have Zuko, Aang, Katara or Sokka. But I do promise that the next one will and more insight of Iroh and the rest of the hiding Fire Nation.

Read and Review!

--FireChildSlytherin5
Sign up to rate and review this story