Categories > Original > Fantasy > Head or Tail

Chapter I

by Elessar 1 review

Love, Vengeance and Friendship. A Hero who will die to win, because he was born to lose. Please Read and Review it.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-06-29 - Updated: 2007-06-29 - 1621 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER ONE:

A young man looked around the grubby road puzzled. He has lost the track. He has been chasing a Goblin for three days. Now he is in the middle of a forest; wet and frustrated, searching for his victim's footsteps. Goblins, orcs or any other dark creatures do not travel alone. Therefore, this lone Goblin caught his attention. Nosteruion traveled three days with patience and slyness. He never gave the Goblin more than few hours lead. However all of a sudden, this Goblin vanished, so did his track.

Nosteruion looked around the wet and muddy road. He went back few steps and traced the last visible track. After few minutes, he gave up on the search. The forest was wet from the previous day rain. So he was wet and dripping like any other leaves in this surrounding. The sun was low in the horizon, behind the black clouds. This particular part of the forest is thick with trees and shrubs. The paths were covered with green grass. Some were waist high.

He chose a dry spot, under a tree, and rested a bit. He was bit tired after this fruitless pursuit.

"I should have stayed in the camp," murmured Nosteruion

He removed his belt, which had his sword and a dagger, and placed it near him. It was near his grasp, just in case.

He was just eighteen years old. He was an apprentice to Turwaition, the sword master. For past few weeks, he has been camping around the edge of the forest, with his friends and fellow students, for their final test to become a Sword master. However, his mere curiosity has brought him so far away from his camp.

"I will be as good as a dead sheep when Master Turwaition comes to know about my whereabouts," said Nosteruion miserably.

The sky threatened to pour. The wind was chill and heavy. The trees moved back and forth with the wind. It was calm and menacing.

"I better move back to the camp before the storm hits me," thought Nosteruion.

He got up, pulled his belt away from the ground, and wore it. He pulled his sword, Onur "Honor", and examined it. It was a long sword. It was both shiny and heavy. He sheathed it and pulled out his dagger. This little blade has been his hunting partner, but he yet to name it.

He sheathed both of his blades and turned south towards his camp.

"So much for a futile trip," he said and started to walk. After few hours of walk, he started to run, when he saw the sky turning into pitch black. The wind started to blow heavily on his face. It was both comforting and annoying. His long sword, Onur, swung beside his hip as he ran between the trees and shrubs. His black leather boots gave him both heaviness and steadiness for his speed.

The cover of darkness wrapped the entire forest. The wind started to blow violently above the treetops. Nosteruion stood for a second to regain his breath. He has been running for hours without any rest. He cursed himself for his immature act.

He removed the torch from his back and started to light a fire. The wind was furious, so it was almost impossible to light his torch. He was in a dire need of light, because the storm covered all of the sun's light. After few minutes of grim effort, he managed to light his torch.

"This won't stand a chance when the rain pours down. I need to find a cave to rest tonight," thought Nosteruion.

He looked around for a perfect resting place. This place had nothing but trees. He ran around few meters in search of a cover. After a few minutes, he found a cave. It was three feet above the ground. The cave was perfectly camouflaged around the thick trees. Nosteruion had to climb up a tree, in order to drop into the cave. The cave itself was just four feet tall and seven feet in width. Therefore, there was little or no room to maneuver. Nevertheless, it was dry and gave a complete guard against this storm.

The cave was dark, so he placed his lit torch near him and rubbed his hands on his face.

After few threatening thunders, the rain started to pour down. The sound of the raindrops was heavy and loud against the cave walls. Even though Nosteruion was tired, he did not dare to close his eyes.

"Never lay immobile or helpless in an alien land. Don't be a prey, but be a Predator," once Turwaition advised to him.

"I yield to your words Master," he murmured back to his thought.

Nosteruion thought about his school life. He enjoyed every minute of his training as a Sword master. He remembered his best friend, Cofniben. How he and Cofniben had a knack to form a trouble and escape it narrowly. However, this time Cofniben refused to come with him in this hunt. That bothered Nosteruion greatly.

Sleep started to take control over Nosteruion's eyes. He started to doze. The rainfall and the steady dripping sound of the water made him to nod off.

When he was about to close his lids, a sharp blade landed on his neck. Startled, Nosteruion spun around to see the owner of the blade. It was the Goblin. He has secretively entered the cave and sneaked behind Nosteruion's back.

Nosteruion cursed himself for his sloppiness. He tried to reach for his sword, Onur. However, the Goblin pressed his blade deeper into Nosteruion's throat.

"You have been following me...Me saw you follow," sputtered the Goblin. His voice was low and heavy. He was wearing a filthy rag, which covered him from his shoulder to knee. Moreover, his blade was rusted and spiky. He had horrible eyes. They were blood red. His teeth were yellow and smelled like a raw meat. He eyed Nosteruion with a questioning look.

Nosteruion slowly opened his mouth, uncertain and doubtful.

"Why was u sneaking into our camp?" he asked expecting a blow rather than an answer.

The Goblin looked at him for several seconds and answered, "That's none of your concern."

"It is. Did you try to kill my Master? Is that what your Master paid u to do?" asked Nosteruion

"I have no master!" said the Goblin, pressing his blade even more deeply than before.

Nosteruion could feel his skin tear against the Goblin's blade. Still he did not make any move to retrieve his Onur.

The Goblin scanned Nosteruion's sword, and his eyes showed greediness. Then he looked at his dagger and his leather pouch.

"Give me that!" demanded the Goblin, pointing at Nosteruion's leather bag.

When Nosteruion hesitated, the Goblin pressed his blade even deeper, causing blood to leak.

Slowly Nosteruion removed his bag from his shoulder, which had food and water. Then he set the bag in front of him. When the Goblin bent over to lift the bag, Nosteruion kicked the Goblin's chin. The sudden blow made the Goblin to stagger for a second. Within that second, Nosteruion pushed the rusty blade away from his throat and pulled his sword out.

Since the Cave was just four feet tall, he had to bend just like the Goblin. Both stood facing each other. The Goblin gave a quick look at the opening of the cave. He threw the leather bag at Nosteruion and jumped out.

Nosteruion ducked and jumped after the Goblin. The rain was heavy, so both were soaked completely the moment they touched the ground. The visibility was bad. Therefore, Nosteruion threw his hood around his head and looked around. The Goblin ran towards a tree, so he ran after that filthy creature.

When he was just three feet apart from the creature, he threw himself at the back of the Goblin. Both fell to the ground stumbling. However, the Goblin spun around and gave a kick on Nosteruion's belly. The kick was powerful and painful, so he loosened his grip on the creature's back.

The Goblin shrugged himself free; he turned around and slashed his blade on Nosteruion's head. However, His reflex was faster than the creature's. He blocked the attack with Onur and sliced the Goblin's right leg off.

The creature fell to the ground howling in pain. Nosteruion got up and ripped the Goblin's head off.

Nosteruion threw the head down and cleaned his sword, which was tainted with the Goblin's blood. He kicked the creature's headless body and said, "After all this was not a fruitless trip."

"Oh really?" came a voice from behind him. He turned around to meet the speaker with his sword at ready. It was Cofniben. He was six feet tall; as tall as Nosteruion, he wore the same brown leather vest and he was eighteen years old too. They both looked like twins.

Nosteruion smiled at his friend and said, "Hey brother, you missed the fun."

However, Cofniben was serious. His face was grave and expressionless.

"What's wrong?" Nosteruion asked doubtfully.

"It's our Master. He is furious. He wants to see you now. I do not think you can escape from this trouble mate. He dispatched three searching parties for you. We have been searching for two days. Most of your tracks were washed by the rain. However, I found you," replied Cofniben.

Nosteruion has never seen his friend this serious and scared. This made him to panic.

"What must I do now?" he asked back slowly

"Come with me. Let's go back to the camp," replied Cofniben.

Nosteruion went back to the cave, took his belt, the leather bag and the torch. He fitted them and followed his friend.
Sign up to rate and review this story